• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Zabuza

Banned
Sweet, thanks! Added you.

And also added everyone else! Race to see who can beat it first? Or better yet, who can platinum first! :p

Thanks, I added back! I think a platinum race or speedrun would be fun on GAF. But I'm going to enjoy this one at my own slow pace. :D

Loto

It's really funny because people on GameFAQs think the marketing for Graces is good and well done. Rofl.

Lol, I thought Namco's mission was to make Tales relavent in the west again. Thought they had a great opportunity with Abyss. Next thing I know it's delayed until 2012.

Maybe Namco jumped the gun with Graces announcement, but the year+ wait was brutal. Just my opinion. I'm still buying these games and hope they do well.

Awesome thread by the way!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Lol, I thought Namco's mission was to make Tales relavent in the west again. Thought they had a great opportunity with Abyss. Next thing I know it's delayed until 2012.

Maybe Namco jumped the gun with Graces announcement, but the year+ wait was brutal. Just my opinion. I'm still buying these games and hope they do well.

Awesome thread by the way!

Not only that but the announcement that it was coming was badly handled too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Not only that but the announcement that it was coming was badly handled too.
What?!?!?! You mean we're NOT getting Vesperia PS3?!

But but but but that's what the logo said when they announced it!!! :(((((((((

Spanish-Leprechaun said:
Thanks, I added back! I think a platinum race or speedrun would be fun on GAF. But I'm going to enjoy this one at my own slow pace. :D
Well... if anyone needs help with the trophies, just ask. I've gotten a few of the trophies twice when I tried getting the plat for the JP version on my English account before I started getting busy in the past six months.

I'm looking forward to getting the plat for the English version (and finally getting the Graces plat on my English PSN account), but I'm a busy gal these days so it'll take me much longer than the rest of you, lol.

KingK

Yeah, it looks like it would be a good idea to get this game as soon as possible.

I just looked at Tales of the Abyss 3DS on Amazon and the price is already up to $45 new and almost out of stock, and the game came out less than a month ago...

Yeah, it looks like it would be a good idea to get this game as soon as possible.

I just looked at Tales of the Abyss 3DS on Amazon and the price is already up to $45 new and almost out of stock, and the game came out less than a month ago...

And despite clear demand, it'll probably never get another shipment.

Phenomic

We're not allowed to talk about that sort of stuff unfortunately. Various unions and rules and what not. I will say there are no actors in there I'm sick of, which is a good sign, at least?

Strange, I never realized any of that would potentially effect video games. Does this mean the names of the voice actors aren't in the credits at the end of the game? I mean tons of people are credited in voices and tons are uncredited depending on the project but, I've never understood why or what made some people do it and some people go unlisted. Would love to read up more about it.

KingK

And despite clear demand, it'll probably never get another shipment.

You're probably right :(

Which sucks, because I might get a 3DS late this year for Christmas, and I would buy Tales of the Abyss for it if the game was still in supply at that time.

edit: This is also why I'm a fan of digital distribution now. No need to worry about a niche game going out of supply before you have the opportunity to get it.

As for the "games are homogenous" remark, Aeana's right on the money:

Correct. The combat in Graces is markedly different from other Tales games, specifically Team Symphonia games. Aeana has gone in-depth with her posts about the game demonstrating its differences from other Tales games.

Remember what we've learned repeatedly this generation: if it has gameplay that requires understanding to appreciate, most reviewers will have to be drug kicking and screaming to see it (Demon's Souls early existance is a good example). That "doesn't sell games" now...

Then you have the anime-ass anime aesthetic (how DARE they not use western tropes in the very same manner! The GALL) and there ya go. Not one word about the concerns and whatnot you articulated (the sign of a good reviewer, one you can learn to build a take of your own of via reading theirs, even if you and they are polar opposites in conclusions).

What?!?!?! You mean we're NOT getting Vesperia PS3?!

But but but but that's what the logo said when they announced it!!! :(((((((((
I'm 95% sure you're kidding ( 5% or error margin ) but the vesperia logo was only for vesperia to appear on games on demand , right ?

kayos90

Nope. That Richie douchebag actually tried to tell us it was the Graces f logo and that we were all seeing things.

They showed the Graces f logo the first day and every single day afterwards they tried to cover it up as if it was some surprise. The Vesperia logo was one of the ways they distorted the image. Instead of telling us that, they just flat out lied to us. Really really stupid.

FLEABttn

Banned

Okay, you've misread that.

It's possible to get your stores listing above Amazon's listing at Amazon. The store currently listed over Amazon is selling the game for $42 and they only have 18 left in stock. Amazon still has god knows how many at $40.

Gamestop still has it in stock.

Walmart still has it in stock.

dunno about the other two, but gamestop is backordered on there site and dont have any copies in stores around here at least.

The target just around the corner from where I live has something like 6 copies of TotA. It's annoying because I was searching all over town for a copy then they get a shit ton in the day later >.>

barrin87

I can't wait for this game! The only two Tales games I have played are Symphonia and Abyss and I never had the chance to beat Abyss so I am excited to have another chance at playing a game in the series.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I can't wait for this game! The only two Tales games I have played are Symphonia and Abyss ...so I am excited to have another chance at playing a game in the series.

Same here, except I've only played Symphonia and Vesperia. Almost time to get hyped!
Too bad we don't get a special console like japan did with xillia...

Negator

So...what are the chances that Scamco will bring over the DLC costumes?

I'd say Geass costumes have a good to great chance.

Idolmaster costumes have a low to zero chance.

School outfit costumes...probably 50/50

Edit: Is there a list of Tales of Graces f Costume DLC somewhere on the internet (that isn't JPSN)?

kewlmyc

So...what are the chances that Scamco will bring over the DLC costumes?

I'd say Geass costumes have a good to great chance.

Idolmaster costumes have a low to zero chance.

School outfit costumes...probably 50/50

Geass costumes have a good chance since Bandai owns the rights to Code Geass here in America (or a least to, until they shut down their anime department).

Idomaster could come over here. There are enough hardcore anime fans that play Tales games to get the references so why not.

I don't see any reason as to why the school outfits can't come over.

I wouldn't be surprised if all the costumes came over since we're getting the Destiny costumes, which many though we wouldn't get since the games were never released.

CrazyDude

Nothing interesting, but better than nothing.
IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

If it's post child-arc I'll care. If it's not I don't care. I have to go back to being Commander Shepard. I'm Commander Shepard and Tales of Graces f is my favorite RPG.

Uh...how long is Child Arc? I love Tales of games and have Graces F on preorder, but that friendship trailer kinda made me cringe.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Uh...how long is Child Arc? I love Tales of games and have Graces F on preorder, but that friendship trailer kinda made me cringe.
But the theme of the game uses the theme of friendship to its advantage.

Childhood Arc for normal players will probably take about 1-2 hours.

For some reason I spent a ridiculous amount of time in it until I realized, "Hey. You can unlock the other difficulties another time when you get more characters with better artes."

Hey kayos, that might be a nice thing to add to the FAQ.

SatelliteOfLove said:
Remember what we've learned repeatedly this generation: if it has gameplay that requires understanding to appreciate, most reviewers will have to be drug kicking and screaming to see it (Demon's Souls early existance is a good example). That "doesn't sell games" now...

Then you have the anime-ass anime aesthetic (how DARE they not use western tropes in the very same manner! The GALL) and there ya go. Not one word about the concerns and whatnot you articulated (the sign of a good reviewer, one you can learn to build a take of your own of via reading theirs, even if you and they are polar opposites in conclusions).
Ugh, you're right. I keep forgetting that reviewers don't usually think of intracies of systems since they're trying to get through the game quickly to get a review done. :/

I do think the "anime aesthetic?! docking 2 points" thing is rather silly since people approach stylization and photorealism rather differently.

kayos90

Can't hear that. Ugh. I'm commander Shepard and this is not my favorite game on the citadel.

But the theme of the game uses the theme of friendship to its advantage.

Childhood Arc for normal players will probably take about 1-2 hours.

For some reason I spent a ridiculous amount of time in it until I realized, "Hey. You can unlock the other difficulties another time when you get more characters with better artes."

Hey kayos, that might be a nice thing to add to the FAQ.

Ugh, you're right. I keep forgetting that reviewers don't usually think of intracies of systems since they're trying to get through the game quickly to get a review done. :/

I do think the "anime aesthetic?! docking 2 points" thing is rather silly since people approach stylization and photorealism rather differently.

?? Add which part? SOOO CONFUSED!!

Top Bottom