• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

scy

They didn't say what kind of clock.

Oh you.

Seriously though, I can't imagine the thought process behind that comment. I have to read the entire review now because I just want to figure out how that statement works.

Aeana

I'm more concerned about "if you've played one, you've played them all." I'm confident that anybody who has actually played a Tales game in the past will pick up Graces and immediately see how differently it plays.

scy

I'm more concerned about "if you've played one, you've played them all." I'm confident that anybody who has actually played a Tales game in the past will pick up Graces and immediately see how differently it plays.

Well, yeah, that too. That's even more outlandish. There's all kinds of mixed up logic involved in just those two quotes that I can only imagine the nightmare that is the entirety of the review.

Negator

Meanwhile, CoD shall score in the 90s.

Call of Duty: World at War - 90
Madden NFL 09 - 80

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - 100
Madden NFL 10 - 80

Call of Duty: Black Ops - 100
Madden NFL 11 - 80

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - 90
Madden NFL 12 - 90

I bet with my poor finance skills I could forecast the review scores for Madden NFL 13 and Black Ops 2

So PSM gave the game a 70, main knocking points being 'the games come out like clockwork' and 'if you've played one, you've played them all.'

Yeah, whatever PSM. You don't hesitate to give 90+ to every yearly Call of Duty game.
That is so wrong ..BUT this even wronger since Graces F is the most unique Tales since rebirth.

I know wronger isn't a word

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
For comparison... PSM gave Tales of the Abyss 6.5/10.

frequency

With the direction that Western media has gone this generation, I'm pretty sure this will get 70's everywhere with criticisms that most of us can call out as ridiculous - and the rest of the gaming world still won't care.

I'm also pretty sure the people who were going to buy this are going to buy it no matter what reviews say anyway.

I LOVE jprg's, but i get sick of people bashing COD because they think it is the cool thing to do. I do not care much for the SP, but the online MP with my friends is a lot of fun. Of course not everyone enjoys COD, but no need to constantly bash it because it is mainstream.

Aeana

I LOVE jprg's, but i get sick of people bashing COD because they think it is the cool thing to do. I do not care much for the SP, but the online MP with my friends is a lot of fun. Of course not everyone enjoys COD, but no need to constantly bash it because it is mainstream.

Okay, but it was actually relevant here because PSM alleged that Tales games "come out like clockwork" and used that as one of the reasons for their score. Do you disagree that Call of Duty games are released yearly, but still receive high scores? If not, then you should be able to understand why one would not think it's viable criticism of a series that saw its last console release in English in 2008.

Negator

We're not really bashing Call of Duty, we're bashing PSM for their shoddy and weak argument that Tales games are all the same and come out like clockwork and dock points for it, yet give Call of Duty a free pass to cater to their audience.

CrazyDude

People are just pointing out the hypocrisy. They gave this game a 70 and called it same old same old, but then give COD a 90 which hardly changes from game to game.

Animekatt

I've added everyone who posted their PSNs. If anyone else would like to add mine, it's Animekatt. Looking forward to chatting with everyone about not only this game, but other RPGs as they come out. ^.^

I like and have played all the CoDs this gen. I'm a fan. There's not bashing really. It's just that really they do come out like clockwork and and the simularties enough that you could apply "you've played one, you've played them all". Yet those were the sticking points for ToG in the review supposedly. You can't really see the problem?

Now to be fair, many outlets did point to that as an issue with MW3.

Looking at the number scores for any game is really quite pointless, you will find much more meaning by reading the critiques given and thinking about why this person feels this way and how it relates to your personal likes and what you want in a game. Putting together research you've done on a game and assorted opinions and reviews can be a very valuable tool for deciding if a game is for you or not, just don't put to much stock in the numbers because even a negative review has it's uses.

Aeana

Looking at the number scores for any game is really quite pointless, you will find much more meaning by reading the critiques given and thinking about why this person feels this way and how it relates to your personal likes and what you want in a game. Putting together research you've done on a game and assorted opinions and reviews can be a very valuable tool for deciding if a game is for you or not, just don't put to much stock in the numbers because even a negative review has it's uses.

Well, that's why we were discussing the remarks given by the reviewer.
I don't care about scores, either.

scy

Truth be told, I don't understand the "samey" comment in general. I mean, sure, the CoD releases play similarly but ... there's enough differences, personally, that makes it a different experience.

I guess I just have low standards or something.

But when the critiques don't actually make any sense, how does this work? I don't care for review numbers, just the content of it. That's why the focus is on the two quotes of the game being same ol' same ol' yearly releases stand out so much. It makes little sense and I want to see the rest of the review to figure out how these two things work in the grand picture.

And, yes, it doesn't really matter to me since I'm buying the game anyway but kind of sucks to see negative reviews built from shaky logic.

I would love it if someone created a review system where a game is reviewed by multiple people, including a veteran of the series/genre, plus either a veteran of a different genre or someone new to the series/genre.

It would solve so many problems, IMO.

For someone unfamiliar with the series or who doesn't play many jrpgs i can totally see how they might end up feeling that way, i wasnt really even trying to defend the review moreso then just throwing it out there since reviews were the current topic of discussion.

I really want this to...

Be careful when saying things like that, as many mods ban people for that.

But yes, be lucky you have Vesperia. Sure, it's out on ps3 in Japan, but if you don't have a 360, you'd have to wait for the translation patch, then spend a lot of money to import it, then wait for an exploit on ps3 (which will hopefully be out soon)...

I would love it if someone created a review system where a game is reviewed by multiple people, including a veteran of the series/genre, plus either a veteran of a different genre or someone new to the series/genre.

It would solve so many problems, IMO.

Famitsu does that, but their review scores often get "32/40? X company must not have bribed them" comments. It's also possible a system like that might be more time consuming, since you need multiple people to play the same game rather than giving one person a game and covering more than way. There is a ton wrong with the way reviews and scoring work, but focusing on comments rather than the score is at least a bit more helpful.

I've added everyone who posted their PSNs. If anyone else would like to add mine, it's Animekatt. Looking forward to chatting with everyone about not only this game, but other RPGs as they come out. ^.^

My PSN is kesseki97. I might not be on until this comes out, trying to wrap up some PS2/PSP rpgs.

Negator

It's amazing how the game comes out in less than a week and we know pretty much nothing about the English version of the game besides it's coming out in less than a week and there is an English version.

Volcynika

It's amazing how the game comes out in less than a week and we know pretty much nothing about the English version of the game besides it's coming out in less than a week and there is an English version.

Only enthusiastic fans will know that it's coming!

scy

We also know that it's the Tales release time of the year and that nothing has changed.

Rarutos

Oh, so that's how it went! Thanks, I'm glad I asked YOU!

I'm pretty excited. :D

I'm super excited myself actually! I see you on all the threads of my favorite/most anticipated games! We should add each other on PSN too or something. I'm Rarutos everywhere, so if you add me on whatever, its probably me. :)

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Well, that's why we were discussing the remarks given by the reviewer.
I don't care about scores, either.

Scores are more for the developers and marketing stuff. Aeana is right. You should be focusing more on the content of the review. From what I've heard, the arguments are somewhat weird...

Jubern

I saw several people talking about sharing DLC in this topic, but remember that since the ToS update the same account can only be shared on two consoles.

There's no excuse for Namco's handling of this. Pretty much every small nice publisher has handled their releases better.

But maybe I'm wrong and the use of Facebook has been effective and incredibly cheap.

With the direction that Western media has gone this generation, I'm pretty sure this will get 70's everywhere with criticisms that most of us can call out as ridiculous - and the rest of the gaming world still won't care.

I'm also pretty sure the people who were going to buy this are going to buy it no matter what reviews say anyway.

The only way reviews would change my opinion is if they said "the game is so buggy it's unplayable" which you probably would be able to tell if that was true or false from some gameplay videos.

frequency

The only way reviews would change my opinion is if they said "the game is so buggy it's unplayable" which you probably would be able to tell if that was true or false from some gameplay videos.

That wouldn't change my buying decision.
I don't mean to hate but... PS3 Skyrim got a pass even though it's so buggy it ends up unplayable for a lot of people.

I have absolutely no faith in professional critics. If I'm really unsure about a purchase, I look to GAF for opinions.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So PSM gave the game a 70, main knocking points being 'the games come out like clockwork' and 'if you've played one, you've played them all.'
Review content is not fine. It doesn't exactly make much sense. They might come out like clockwork in Japan, but not here. The western market definitely has not gotten a lot of Tales games. They've gotten maybe... 10 titles out of the many (maybe 25+) that the Japanese market has? The releases don't even come annually so I'm not sure what they're getting at here.

As for the "games are homogenous" remark, Aeana's right on the money:
Correct. The combat in Graces is markedly different from other Tales games, specifically Team Symphonia games. Aeana has gone in-depth with her posts about the game demonstrating its differences from other Tales games.

In many respects, Graces is quite refreshing compared to some of the other games in terms of mechanics flowing well into each other, and the combat not always being button-mashy (since you have to input commands in certain ways to steal items, or hit enemies with attacks they're weaker against; though this mattered more to me since I played on Chaos. Players on Normal or Moderate, and/or those doing the sidequests might not care much about this kind of stuff.).

Regardless, the final and most crucial judge will be the player him/herself. Play the game or the Japanese demo and see if you'll like it.

Scores are more for the developers and marketing stuff. Aeana is right. You should be focusing more on the content of the review. From what I've heard, the arguments are somewhat weird...
Yes. Reviewers write the content for a reason.

Rahxephon91 said:
But maybe I'm wrong and the use of Facebook has been effective and incredibly cheap.
Perhaps it's because I'm older, but not a lot of people I went to high school and uni with use Facebook a lot anymore. I see some students still using it, but you kind of have to "Like" the page or even know of the page's existence to see the info. Hm. They're still marketing the game to a rather limited audience (ie: only people who use Facebook).

Of course, I'd love to be wrong and have this game do well.

Rpgmonkey

I can definitely see how one could argue the 'if you've played one, you've played them all' point with Tales (personally I think it is true to some extent and like pretty much any series that sticks to certain basics and traditions, has been both a blessing and a curse), but I think it's a claim that applies best and is more easily backed up from the perspective of one who has played at least most of the games in the series.

Playing 1-4 games in a 13-game series (14 within a few weeks/months I'm sure) makes it sound a little iffy, and Graces goes through many of the Tales design ideas that Japanese fans and the like have known about or experienced for years, but are being introduced for the first time to much of the Western fanbase. I figured it would be familiar, but overall pretty new and maybe even refreshing.

Oh well.

Loto

There's no excuse for Namco's handling of this. Pretty much every small nice publisher has handled their releases better.

No, I think you are exactly right. Look how Abyss was handled. I hope these games do well but still hard not to blame Namco.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
No, I think you are exactly right. Look how Abyss was handled. I hope these games do well but still hard not to blame Namco.

It's really funny because people on GameFAQs think the marketing for Graces is good and well done. Rofl.

Top Bottom