• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Questions for those who have played the game.

Only DLC costumes carry over, right? What of the in-game and unlockable items in the first game, do they return? Also is there any new unlockable content at all such as new attachments or no?

Can't wait to pop this open after I power through diablo 3 UEE, glad I didn't keep playing the first tales of xilia, I'll be playing this as a standalone title with very little deja vs :D

Datschge

Review score predictions?

As mentioned Tales score is rather cliche predictable at this point. =P What I'm looking forward toward seeing though is which part overweight the other: Will the major recycling be a major complaint, or will that be silently accepted and the focus be on the stuff that Xillia 2 did really well?

aravuus

I'm not gonna read a single review, the Tales games are a prime example where I seem to get absolutely nothing out of the reviews. They always seem to get reviewed by the wrong people.

Necrovex

Slightly lower than Xillia 1. The mainstream reviews are going to pick on the recycled assets and gameplay.

Which I shall find hilarious when I compare DA2 reviews to Xillia 2 reviews. Granted, different writers handling the reviews and all that jazz, but it will be fun to compare nevertheless.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm expecting 6s and 7s.

I'm not gonna read a single review, the Tales games are a prime example where I seem to get absolutely nothing out of the reviews. They always seem to get reviewed by the wrong people.

I guess I'm a wrong person.

demonkaze

Got the day 1 edition on preorder, been looking forward to this for a while.Also had the guide from amazon.co.uk on preorder but just seen that my estimated dispatch has changed to 10th September now, are there any other places in the uk where i can pick this up?

Pics_nao

Was gonna cancel my CE order but if I do that then I won't be getting the costumes with it right?

Fuuuuuuuuccccckkkk

I don't wanna pay $150 for the CE but I NEED those costumes

aravuus

I guess I'm a wrong person.

I'm sure you know what I mean.

I rarely actually go and look for the reviews so the only ones I happen to come across are on Finnish publications and the reviewers are always men in their mid-40s who think FF is the only worthwhile JRPG series.

"This game is all about spamming attack til you run out of monsters. Also, anime. 7.2"

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wasn't able to contribute to the OT coz I got busy. :(

Oh and we have preorder bonuses given by our local store: a Rollo keychain and an umbrella.

kayos90

I wasn't able to contribute to the OT coz I got busy. :(

Oh and we have preorder bonuses given by our local store: a Rollo keychain and an umbrella.

Nice. I'm really interested in hearing what people have to say over the next few days.

I think I'm gonna cancel my pre-order. Not for any reason regarding the game itself, I just feel like a month or 2 after it's release there will be a price drop or sale where I can save at least 20 bucks on it.

Soriku

I think I'm gonna cancel my pre-order. Not for any reason regarding the game itself, I just feel like a month or 2 after it's release there will be a price drop or sale where I can save at least 20 bucks on it.

Well...this more or less applies to every game.

Shouta

Xillia 2 has more stuff to do than Xillia 1 (which was lacking in this regard, unlike most Tales games).

I'd like you to elaborate on this as I felt the reverse with regard to story.

X1 is more cohesive in its narrative, explores its theme better, manages to integrate its cast into the story better other than Leia, and it felt like it flowed amazingly well.

That is not to say X2's story is bad but I just don't think it's composed as well as X1 despite the super interesting story concept.

Datschge

X1 is more cohesive in its narrative, explores its theme better, manages to integrate its cast into the story better other than Leia, and it felt like it flowed amazingly well.

That is not to say X2's story is bad but I just don't think it's composed as well as X1 despite the super interesting story concept.
Hm OK, I think I can see where you are coming from. But somehow I feel what you describe has more to do with how the story is integrated in and interacts with the game design than with the story itself. X1's story is well integrated and executed in a polished streamlined way, but what the story actually tells I found plenty plain, cliche and unobtrusive in the usual Tales way. X2 on the other hand indeed isn't integrated that well but more seeming a collection of pieces that the player pieces together (or possibly forced to piece together depending on how annoying he finds the debt system), but for me the story it actually tells easily blows away everything tried before in Tales games (and also lifts X1 on the way). Hope that made sense. ^^

kayos90

Hm OK, I think I can see where you are coming from. But somehow I feel what you describe has more to do with how the story is integrated in and interacts with the game design than with the story itself. X1's story is well integrated and executed in a polished streamlined way, but what the story actually tells I found plenty plain, cliche and unobtrusive in the usual Tales way. X2 on the other hand indeed isn't integrated that well but more seeming a collection of pieces that the player pieces together (or possibly forced to piece together depending on how annoying he finds the debt system), but for me the story it actually tells easily blows away everything tried before in Tales games (and also lifts X1 on the way). Hope that made sense. ^^

I think the game would've been much better without the debt system but still had the chapter segmentation. Its very episodic in nature and that's one of the things I loved, which is also the very same reason i liked XIII-2 as well.

Datschge

I think the game would've been much better without the debt system but still had the chapter segmentation. Its very episodic in nature and that's one of the things I loved, which is also the very same reason i liked XIII-2 as well.
I personally think once the player realizes that the debt system is not something forcing him to actually grind but a story decoy hinting that there is more to be found before proceeding to the next chapter it loses most of its annoyance. The opaque way this was executed and the fact that much of the world is recycled obviously doesn't help though.

MilkBeard

I'm starting to get frothy at the mouth for a decent JRPG. It's been a while, well, I think the last one that kept me going all the way from start to finish was the first Xillia. Can't wait to get back into fun Tales battles and optional conversations.

Shouta

Stories are as much about execution as it's about the topic at hand, IMO. X1 has a more vanilla story in happenings but it set up its world well for X2 and managed to explore its theme perfectly through its events. That scores huge points in my book.

Persona7

Banned
Oh, nice. The CE does come with a sealed copy of the game. The unboxing I saw of the EU version had the disks inside the steelbook. Fuck, that steelbook is excellent.

zulux21

so I should be able to finish up xillia 1 before 2 comes out, but just the jude side.
is there a good place to watch the milla exclusive stuff at all or am I going to have to hold off on xillia 2 until after I do a speed run on the milla side in new game plus with stuff like double exp and money?

kayos90

Gonna put my Xillia 1 disk in the metal case and put that in the Symphonia box along with my other PS3 Tales games.

Zafir

so I should be able to finish up xillia 1 before 2 comes out, but just the jude side.
is there a good place to watch the milla exclusive stuff at all or am I going to have to hold off on xillia 2 until after I do a speed run on the milla side in new game plus with stuff like double exp and money?
Well to be honest, a Mila playthrough doesn't actually take that long thanks to xp boosts(Think I got the 5x one). You can pretty much just only do the bosses(aka skip trash) and still not get under leveled. Don't think gald boosting is necessary. If you choose to carry over devil arms you can one shot most of the early ones too, lol.

Well to be honest, a Mila playthrough doesn't actually take that long thanks to xp boosts(Think I got the 5x one). You can pretty much just only do the bosses(aka skip trash) and still not get under leveled. Don't think gald boosting is necessary. If you choose to carry over devil arms you can one shot most of the early ones too, lol.

EXP Boosts (x2 or x5)
Devil Arms
Double Damage
Triple Critical
Set it to Beginner

Skip everything and assuming you already got everything done on Jude's playthrough a Millia one should be pretty quick.

EXP Boosts (x2 or x5)
Devil Arms
Double Damage
Triple Critical
Set it to Beginner

Skip everything and assuming you already got everything done on Jude's playthrough a Millia one should be pretty quick.

I still need to do Milla's side too, good to know it will be quick. Only thing missing on Jude's side is the boss of the post-game dungeon.

EXP Boosts (x2 or x5)
Devil Arms
Double Damage
Triple Critical
Set it to Beginner

That reminds me, I should probably finish my Milla playthrough. I have all of the Devil Arms, and I carried over levels from the last playthrough. I can't even complete a combo on New Game+ because everything dies too fast outside of bosses. XD

That reminds me, I should probably finish my Milla playthrough. I have all of the Devil Arms, and I carried over levels from the last playthrough. I can't even complete a combo on New Game+ because everything dies too fast outside of bosses. XD

Yeah, I had to set my Milla run on Unknown cause otherwise everything was dying too quickly.

On the plus side, it did made boss fights pretty fun.

chrono01

I'm hoping to finish Tales of Xillia either today or tomorrow [playing as Jude]. I'm not sure if I'll bother replaying it as Milla since I'll probably be receiving Akiba's Trip 2 tomorrow [hopefully], so I'd like to play/complete that before Tales of Xillia 2 is released. :/

On the subject, I was just checking my Collector's Edition pre-order at Amazon.ca and I saw it listed at just over $125 [instead of the default $139.99]. That mean, even including Express shipping, the price I'll be paying [including taxes] is less than the price of the game at its regular MSRP. I'm not sure what happened but I won't complain!

zulux21

EXP Boosts (x2 or x5)
Devil Arms
Double Damage
Triple Critical
Set it to Beginner

I suppose i might need to take the time to get some devil's arms then :p
and despite knowing there was difficulty settings in others tales games, I never noticed it in xillia... I wonder what I am playing on right now lol.

I also wonder how much grade I will have, I should have at least 1k, but I don't think I will make it to 2k for exp times 5.

zulux21

Maybe even 20, that how much I got Xillia 1 for last year. It's kind of scaring me from buying it on release although I have nothing to play.

my views on this are always, while yes it will get cheaper, it's not like the game won't have more than enough content to justify the current price. If you have nothing else to play you might as well get it. If you won't get to it for months anyways you might as well wait for a lower price unless you want to be counted in the important week one/month one sales to help namco decide they want to continue bringing nice editions of tales games over (since there is still two more tales games confirmed to be coming over saying it would help them decide to keep bringing games over doesn't seem right.)

of course I am a big tales fan, and have the CE in the mail coming to me right now... so my views are a bit skewed lol.

my views on this are always, while yes it will get cheaper, it's not like the game won't have more than enough content to justify the current price. If you have nothing else to play you might as well get it. If you won't get to it for months anyways you might as well wait for a lower price unless you want to be counted in the important week one/month one sales to help namco decide they want to continue bringing nice editions of tales games over (since there is still two more tales games confirmed to be coming over saying it would help them decide to keep bringing games over doesn't seem right.)

of course I am a big tales fan, and have the CE in the mail coming to me right now... so my views are a bit skewed lol.

I've got it preordered already and will more than likely end up getting it on launch. I just hate that the whole summer nothing came out and then next week I'm picking up Garden Warfare and ToX2

zulux21

I've got it preordered already and will more than likely end up getting it on launch. I just hate that the whole summer nothing came out and then next week I'm picking up Garden Warfare and ToX2

heh tales is my 3rd retail game for the month, and I have like 9 more games i am planning on buying at release before sept is over :p

My brother played through the whole of the first game on NG+ last week. I'm thinking I should return to my NG+ playthough before the second game comes out.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I already finished Jude's route and know the gist of what happens in Mila's route. Is it worth going back and finishing it entirely?

Top Bottom