• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

Is there a good spoiler filled overview of the story from the first Xillia? I got about 35 hours into it but ran out of steam and never finished it and would like a nice refresher.

I believe but don't quote me cause my memory is shaky here, but I think the Japanese games came with a digest of the first game's plot and I can't imagine Bamco will be that lazy to not translate it.

So does any save stuff transfer over from 1 to 2? And is it from just a save file or there's extras for a completed Xillia 1 save file?

Paid DLC costumes get transferred.
If you completed Jude or Milla's story, you get a little Jude or Milla accessory for your characters.
And that's about it.

The length of Xillia 2 is perfect. impeccable.

Sure, if you just count the main story and none of the debt junk.

Paid DLC costumes get transferred.
If you completed Jude or Milla's story, you get a little Jude or Milla accessory for your characters.
And that's about it.
Hmmmm better finish my backlog and I'm tempted by the DLC but still waiting for them to bundle them...I'll buy something maybe...

The debt isn't really that hard to overcome.

Debt coupled with exploring all the old areas again (even if it is mostly optional) was basically the one thing I had to overcome in making progress in this game.

Hmmmm better finish my backlog and I'm tempted by the DLC but still waiting for them to bundle them...I'll buy something maybe...

Yeah, I kinda doubt Bamco will ever bundle or discount the DLC, lol

Shouta

Debt system is definitely more annoying than padding. It basically kind breaks the pacing up a little bit overall. X2 is a really good game there's a lot to like in the game though I do think that there are certain elements that the original Xillia did better though that's mostly in story.

Xenoflare

Alvin is the best character.

I find him to be the most likable character, since its so difficult for me to feel righteous for JRPG casts anyways, plus he's got plenty of charm.

Ultimadrago

Debt system is definitely more annoying than padding. It basically kind breaks the pacing up a little bit overall. X2 is a really good game there's a lot to like in the game though I do think that there are certain elements that the original Xillia did better though that's mostly in story.

Ah, okay. It's a bit better to know it's not a complete time crutch.

Xenoflare

Apparently you are only allowed to pay the pre-determined amount debt that the game offered you. Meaning that if you play a NG+ with loads of money you still cannot pay it off at once.

Jonnax

Xillia was better in story you say? The
Alvin betrayals and the anticlimatic ending made me hope that Xillia 2 would improve upon that aspect. Is the story near enough at the same level as Xillia?

Xenoflare

Xillia was better in story you say? The
Alvin betrayals and the anticlimatic ending made me hope that Xillia 2 would improve upon that aspect. Is the story near enough at the same level as Xillia?

Xillia suffered from
a premature cut due to time constraints, at least X2's story is more fleshed out, or so I heard.

Xillia suffered from
a premature cut due to time constraints, at least X2's story is more fleshed out, or so I heard.

I hope so. Xillia dragged the story element shit to the point where I was hoping the game was going to end and then like 3 hours before they just hit you with a game changing story change.

Datschge

I don't know anything about Xillia 2 other than what's in the OP, so I can't speak to the quality or impact of the story, hopefully it's as good as you say. Obviously, a good/well paced/impactful shorter story is better than a mediocre long one, but if everything else is equal, I'd prefer to get more mileage out of it (especially since I'm unlikely to play through the game more than once).
Xillia 2 has more stuff to do than Xillia 1 (which was lacking in this regard, unlike most Tales games).

X2 is a really good game there's a lot to like in the game though I do think that there are certain elements that the original Xillia did better though that's mostly in story.
I'd like you to elaborate on this as I felt the reverse with regard to story.

Dice//

Banned
Aw man, is that shithead Alvin in the game? I hope one of my choices is to execute that trash after his first double-cross attempt.

Alvin is an awesome character with the worst "reoccurring gag" ever.
Alvin: I'LL BETRAY YOU FIVE TIMES LOLOL.

Party: Yeah, so, you gonna do it again?

Alvin: Maybe...BUT YES

Even the party predicts it.

But honestly, I thought Alvin would have made waaay more sense as an MC than Jude was. He had a pretty great backstory and a convincing-enough motivation to see through his plans (and the ambivalence when he does succeed).

Xenoflare

Alvin is an awesome character with the worst "reoccurring gag" ever.
Alvin: I'LL BETRAY YOU FIVE TIMES LOLOL.

Party: Yeah, so, you gonna do it again?

Alvin: Maybe...BUT YES

Even the party predicts it.

But honestly, I thought Alvin would have made waaay more sense as an MC than Jude was. He had a pretty great backstory and a convincing-enough motivation to see through his plans (and the ambivalence when he does succeed).

Alvin would be too old for a JRPG protag, unfortunately, that's just the way things are. He's underdeveloped considering his back story.

Dice//

Banned
Alvin would be too old for a JRPG protag, unfortunately, that's just the way things are. He's underdeveloped considering his back story.

Yes?
I dunno, I thought the sidequests did a pretty good job. Again, more than Jude ever got for himself beyond being, perhaps, that "player representation" and that lame last minute spoiler
that he's half an Elympion...
, which did absolutely nothing to progress any plot point whatsoever.

I forgot details, but Alvin and his Exodus crew ARE from Elympios, stranded of Rieze Maxia. They had to get work, adjust, and find a way to get back home ---- back to their dying planet. Some, like Alvin, did shady things if it meant getting back home, but Alvin had long-lost family and a sick mother (who never ended up making it back in the end) to take care of.
Way deep.

...Unfortunately, stupid writing made him a bit of a bad joke during the major plot though (see my prev. post spoiler).

Frankly for me main xillia gripe was the pacing..
It goes slow for pretty much every second of it, but the last 3-4 hour everything changes...
And the ending.. Way too open..
dat millia complex for jude.. He has the hots for her since minute1 but ulTimately he gets "trololol i'm a god no can do bro" finale, which sort of bummed me..

Bladenic

Tales of Xillia 2 has basically the best story and cast in a Tales game beside Vesperia. The ToX characters are all better in this game, and even though most are not important to the main plot, the character episodes do a great job of further developing them and making the cast feel tight. The new characters are all great, too. It also has one of the more despicable villains in a Tales game.

I think Ludger not having a voice actually hurts the game honestly, the choice system could have remained the same with him being an voiced protagonist. Oh well.

The gameplay also has major improvements, minus the rather annoying fact that you can't change your party outside of towns, which is pretty moronic.

Zafir

It goes slow for pretty much every second of it, but the last 3-4 hour everything changes...
dat millia complex for jude.. He has the hots for her since minute1 but ulTimately he gets "trololol i'm a god no can do bro" finale, which sort of bummed me..

Yeah I felt the pacing was a bit odd. The first two chapters dragged quite a bit. But then on the other hand, the last two chapters felt a bit rushed if anything.

Rhapsody

Banned
One thing I remembered hating about the debt system was that playing on high difficulties was not fun.

I ended up switching only for boss fights so I wouldn't be wasting items when just grinding.

Astral Dog

Not sure why, but Im a little dissapointed that the main charácter of this game is a silent protagonist, has a cool design.
Also, this has the best op animation of a Tales title i have ever seen

NastyBook

This type of shit happens to Japanese protags/supporting characters all the time. It's gotten to be a bit annoying at this point.

I have a question for anyone who's played through Xillia 2 already.

This concerns spoilers for the first game and you can answer with a yes or no (spoilered too I guess).

Are there
any scenes in the game that rival or exceed the Jude vs Alvin stuff from chapter 4 (IIRC that's the right chapter)?

360pages

This type of shit happens to Japanese protags/supporting characters all the time. It's gotten to be a bit annoying at this point.

Which begs the question...why even bother bringing it up in the first place, Milla has no interest in him, and it honestly makes Jude look completely worthless character who is only doing the things he does, because of Milla.

This wouldn't be so bad, if Jude wasn't our main character, but almost every other sentence is about Milla. Made even worse considering Muzet was way better in both design and personality.

Rhapsody

Banned

This concerns spoilers for the first game and you can answer with a yes or no (spoilered too I guess).

Are there
any scenes in the game that rival or exceed the Jude vs Alvin stuff from chapter 4 (IIRC that's the right chapter)?

If you're asking if there's something that's controversial or dumb, then nope.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Are there

That scene was dumb. I'm glad that none of the scenes get that dumb.

Zafir

Which begs the question...why even bother bringing it up in the first place, Milla has no interest in him, and it honestly makes Jude look completely worthless character who is only doing the things he does, because of Milla.

This wouldn't be so bad, if Jude wasn't our main character, but almost every other sentence is about Milla. Made even worse considering Muzet was way better in both design and personality.

I dunno, if you play Milla's side, she does care about him to a certain extent. It's kind of oddly done though. I don't even know what the writers were going for(Maybe the writers didn't even know themselves?). I still find it odd considering how young Jude is in comparison to her..

Dice//

Banned
I dunno, if you play Milla's side, she does care about him to a certain extent. It's kind of oddly done though. I don't even know what the writers were going for(Maybe the writers didn't even know themselves?). I still find it odd considering how young Jude is in comparison to her..

I definitely agree with this. The romance definitely seems one-sided, but I think Milla was made for "her mission" more than her explicit relationship to the party (Jude would be more the other way around).

WX3

This game just snuck up on me as I have not given any attention to it at all. Xillia was my first Tales game and I had a blast!

aravuus

Goddamn it ffs where the hell's my ToX copy, I want to replay it before the sequel comes out

How do you fucking lose something like that

e: because i have the digital version oh my god i'm dumb

man i've been doing some angry searching all over and it's always been right there on my ps3's download history list

Review score predictions?

77-79/100

Tales games always seem to get these scores, no matter who good or bad they are

Man, I managed to get my PS3 fixed so I could buy the retail release once it drops in price but now I really just want to play it right away FFUUU-

I have no self control.

Top Bottom