• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Talk about double standards (Wall Street Journal vs. PewDiePie)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah,

Looks like PDP is going to push further and further towards where he said he wasn't going to go.

I mean, I thought he acknowledged the mistake and was going to learn from it? It sure looks like he instead wants to beat up on the messenger and is trying really hard to play the victim here.

Also, do we have a source on the Rowling thing other than pro PDP Reddit threads?

Rich White Dude who had his ROI cut a bit by his own behavior. Of course he's gonna react the same way the rest of them do.

Basketball

Good shit

I mean when they try to go after your way of living
no matter how much money you have made
Im glad he's fighting back vs the out of context hypocritical scumbags

Give em hell dude

good drama best drama

Audioboxer

Why?

Why? What has the Wall Street Journal done, if you are familiar with their work, to know they're scum? Would you say they are scum for this one specific act? A mistake, one might say? Something...let's say, akin to making a joke in poor taste that did not land and then not stepping back and admitting the fault in it but doubling down and going balls to the wall on defending it by attacking the other side?

Calling them scum is ridiculous, but it is hypocrisy to see one of their own writers posting Jewish/Hitler related jokes on his Twitter. It is irresponsible as well if they first went to all of PDP's sponsors before PDP. All in, it does seem a bit like a desire to get the guy in the trouble he is now in in order to cause this eruption online and generate what must be a shit ton of article clicks. You target a big fish like this and the pay off may well be glorious.

Disney bought Maker Studios (I believe that is what they were called) and had no issue riding the PDP $$$'s through rape jokes/crude language and other edgy shit. As in, money is what matters.... until public relations come under scrutiny. At the end of the day PDP has to understand from this if he wants to do what he has been doing he best be totally independent, as sponsors will react like this when their PR/image comes under threat. No sympathy there. However, there is a grain of truth in some of the criticism aimed at the WSJ.

ceramic

PDP made a comedy group on Fiverr hold up a sign that said "Death to All Jews" followed by them saying "Subscribe to Keemstar".

A crass joke that is tone deaf and insensitive, but nothing more.

The whole point of the video was to highlight how far those on Fiverr would go for money.

From what I've seen it wasn't even really a joke, just something done to prove a point.

The whole POINT OF THE VIDEO was to show that people were happy to publish offensive content for money. It wasn't an endorsement of the comments themselves.

The way the WSJ have spent time and effort taking PDPs videos out of context to stir up drama... all this does is damage their credibility. In what other articles have they bent the truth?

I have a huge amount of respect for PDP for dealing with what is effectively a character-assassination campaign.

I'm also getting very sick of the sanctimonious, self-righteous, and obnoxious attitude here. I understand the need to promote tolerance towards different ethnicities/ religions, but please can we keep things truthful? This sort of behaviour is what is driving people away from left-wing politics (speaking as someone who identifies as left-wing)

Lol, both sides right? One side wants equal rights and the other white supremacy. Sargon believes poc have lower IQs. So you know what, you can fuck off with that WhiskeyKnight. Nothing to have an actual discussion about.

See? This is exactly what I'm talking about. I simply post my opinion that Sargon is not a fascist, and I'm told to "fuck off" in the most rude way possible. It's becoming so difficult to have a measured, polite discussion on GAF these days, I wonder why I even bother.

Lothars

To be fair to PDP, I've had journalists contact us for comment and literally give a timeframe of hours before they publish anyway. Sometimes they really aren't actually interested in your opinion and know "did not comment" will sound more damning.

There's plenty to bury PDP without latching onto that one detail.

If this video is to be believed. The twitter exchanges on the subject went:

- PewDiePie said they didn't contact him before going to Disney.
- A WSJ writer called PDPs statements "demonstrably false", "post-truth" and that they always contact people before going to press.
- Person asks if they contacted PDP before going to Disney.
- The writer said he didn't know about the chronology of the events.

I think the WSJ writer probably just misunderstood.
That's fair. Thanks for the information.

Kinyou

Well articles aren't debates, I don't expect them to have footnotes unless they're longform analysis. I think what you're trying to say is, he happened to have a video where he was looking at clips or screenshots of other people's stuff and making fun of them, and one of those happened to be of a user-created room that had a swastika in it, and you feel that the WSJ was unfair to include it because even though it is an instance of him using Nazi imagery in his videos it was a "PSA" as you call it.

But hey I happened to find a page that links it:
http://www.dailystormer.com/pewdiepie-does-a-swastika-again/

The video is entirely jokey though?
But I'm not sure what's the point of including that image. It's technically correct that it's nazi imagery, but the same could be said about the WSJ now as well for showing that very same image. It could mean anything without context

They only thing it does is to make it feel like that stuff randomly appears in his videos.

Also, if you're making an article like that including sources is pretty standard so people can take a look at it themselves.

Nanashrew

Banned
oh my gosh really?

i wrote an entire research paper on wb and disney propaganda cartoons

how the fuck could those people in the other thread miss the whole context? especially since they're so keen on providing context for "kill all the jews" and other such hilarious jokes

Plus the actual cartoon is not hard to find on YouTube. Actually watching the cartoon you can see it's anti-nazi.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Also, the irony of taking things out of context in order to beat up strawmen in this video (Vox, Rowling, etc) by PDP is not lost on me.

He is actually doing what he and his fans falsely accused the WSJ of doing when they were simply reporting.

I'm really, really scared to live in a world where sources of facts are attacked when you don't like the facts. We saw this with GG, we are seeing it with the president, James O'Keefe made his living on it.. now we have news agencies banned from press briefings.

We've reached the point where you can now pick and choose your news sources (which now includes Reddit, Youtube videos) with zero editorial oversight and vilify those who report actual facts. It's the tail-end of Rush Limbaugh and the late 80s conservative talk radio destroying the trust in the 4th pillar of government. So, I guess this has been coming most of my life.

See? This is exactly what I'm talking about. I simply post my opinion that Sargon is not a fascist, and I'm told to "fuck off" in the most rude way possible. It's becoming so difficult to have a measured, polite discussion on GAF these days, I wonder why I even bother.

Not every opinion is deserving of respect. That's what some people in this bullshit "both sides" camp seem to have a hard time understanding.

Nepenthe

I mean when they try to go after your way of living
no matter how much money you have made
Im glad he's fighting back vs the out of context taking scumbags

If he cared about his way of living he would've cultivated a humorous channel that can't be easily used as alt-right fodder. And not dropped his lot in with Sargon. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

APF

The whole POINT OF THE VIDEO was to show that people were happy to publish offensive content for money.
I think he demonstrated that pretty well.

They only thing it does is to make it feel like that stuff randomly appears in his videos.
But I just watched the entire video and it literally did appear randomly, in a joking video. There's no additional context needed.

Also, if you're making an article like that including sources is pretty standard so people can take a look at it themselves.
How you define your sources depends on the kind of article, as I mentioned. Not all articles include footnotes.

I understand the need to promote tolerance towards different ethnicities/ religions, but please can we keep things truthful? This sort of behaviour is what is driving people away from left-wing politics (speaking as someone who identifies as left-wing)

I'm literally blind right now with rage.

I'm sorry people fighting the good fight in this thread but I don't want to get banned so I'm stepping out.

Aroll

Regardless of who pewds appears to be "supporting" (pretty strong words to use), but that doesn't really make his overall points wrong.

This video clarifies a few things:

1. PDP was never contracted for comment before the story went live, let alone before contacting his revenue sources.
2. WSJ claimed they did attempt to contact him before contacting anyone else
3. WSJ guy who said they did that then goes on to admit he isn't sure how the chronology worked out before publication, which basically works in PDP's favor of being honest that he wasn't contacted before publication.
4. They cornered his people to force a narrative without having any response or conversations with the accused. Even if you think PDP is guilty and a scumbag, all of this flies directly in the face of journalistic integrity and ethics. It doesn't look good for WSJ regardless.
5. Mainstream media trust is hitting all time lows, and work like the WSJ did only worsens it because they didn't properly do their job.
6. Mainstream media revenue and relevance is sinking
7. Youtubers and the rest are becoming bigger and more trusted than media outlets (obviously we can argue all day if this is good or bad).
8. That WSJ guy is arguably doing exactly what PDP did while employed for the outlet who condemns it.

The general point is, regardless of who it appears PDP supports, his points about media do matter.

As for those that think PDP should take the high road and just stop talking about it:

Eh, WSJ basically tried to ruin his whole career. Regardless if he's already set for life and yada yada, he obviously loves what he does and WSJ literally went to YT to try and get him shut down. They made it personal. Given PDp's repuation, I'm honestly surprised he hasn't been worse in response. Instead he's been well reasoned with solid counterpoints. Even if you think he's scum.

Alucrid

Banned
oh my gosh really?

i wrote an entire research paper on wb and disney propaganda cartoons

how the fuck could those people in the other thread miss the whole context? especially since they're so keen on providing context for "kill all the jews" and other such hilarious jokes

because despite their clamor about the wsj and pie's videos, they don't actually care about context when it doesn't benefit them

Harmen

Except for both of them racially targeting Leslie Jones? This kind of bullshit "lol j/k" frat boy bullshit that gamer gate and the alt right are built around absolving themselves of any bit of blame or consequence and instead shifting the blame on to anyone and everyone else (sjws! Fems! Cucks! The media!). It all comes from the same place. A complete inability to be introspective and massive amounts of insecurity. "Forget racism and sexism and fascism, my right to be a total, insensitive shithead trumps all of that."

You want tell edgy jokes? Cool. Go for it. But when the joke falls flat, it doesn't come out quite as you intended, fucking own it. Don't go whining about how unfair things are for you.

I agree with you that if people want to do controversial jokes, they need to own up to it if they miss the mark. But he did not target Leslie Jones, he reacted to an Internet a.i. showing Leslie Jones after asking for an Harambe picture. Now it was his choice to include it in the video the way he did and you can rightfully criticise that, but I don't think that is the same as Milo at all. Milo directly helmed an awful harassment campaign on twitter against that Leslie and my blood still boils when I think back of that.

Still, I am really dissapointed to see PDP share Sargon and Kraut, which I think is way more harmful than his recent failed and awful jokes. Millions of kids exposed to that trash, I hope someone calls him out on that.

You completely ignored the part where he mentioned Sargon's history of racism...

Syntsui

Also, the irony of taking things out of context in order to beat up strawmen in this video (Vox, Rowling, etc) by PDP is not lost on me.

He is actually doing what he and his fans falsely accused the WSJ of doing when they were simply reporting.

I'm really, really scared to live in a world where sources of facts are attacked when you don't like the facts. We saw this with GG, we are seeing it with the president, James O'Keefe made his living on it.. now we have news agencies banned from press briefings.

We've reached the point where you can now pick and choose your news sources (which now includes Reddit, Youtube videos) with zero editorial oversight and vilify those who report actual facts. It's the tail-end of Rush Limbaugh and the late 80s conservative talk radio destroying the trust in the 4th pillar of government. So, I guess this has been coming most of my life.
The entire point of the Rowling thing was to criticize how things are easily taken out of context.

StoOgE

The whole point of the video was to highlight how far those on Fiverr would go for money.

From what I've seen it wasn't even really a joke, just something done to prove a point.

The whole POINT OF THE VIDEO was to show that people were happy to publish offensive content for money. It wasn't an endorsement of the comments themselves.

The way the WSJ have spent time and effort taking PDPs videos out of context to stir up drama... all this does is damage their credibility. In what other articles have they bent the truth?

I have a huge amount of respect for PDP for dealing with this unwarranted character assassination campaign.

I'm also getting very sick of the sanctimonious, self-righteous, and obnoxious attitude here. I understand the need to promote tolerance towards different ethnicities/ religions, but please can we keep things truthful? This sort of behaviour is what is driving people away from left-wing politics (speaking as someone who identifies as left-wing)

The man paid people to hold up a sign with an anti-Semitic joke. I'm not sure why we needed an expose on what poor people on Fivvr will do for money. But, two people were willing to display an anti-Semitic statement for money, and one of them is PDP because he put it on his channel.

So, in a way the WSJ was just doing an expose on what people on Youtube will do for hits and money.

Gator86

So+much+for+the+tolerant+left_a38dbb_6179065.jpg

Am I right?

You were hoping for a measured discussion in which you defend a racist, sexist bigot like Sargon?

(mat)

Doesn't the "thanks" linking to that other dude mean "thanks for the source video I used in this one"? I mean, maybe I'm wrong, but it looked to me like he was citing sources.

I know using somebody looked down upon as a source seems like he's agreeing with their point of views, but is there a chance he used an actually factual part of one of these guys' videos in his? I dunno. Probably a poor choice regardless. Just throwing that idea, along with my ignorance into the mix.

I'm fine with this Felix guy. He doesn't bother me. And I don't get my news from paywall news sites, so they have no affect on me either. Y'all do you.

Fisty

I was wondering what type of person would put a like on one of those PDP "apology" vids. Guess we got a few in here repping

Kinyou

But I just watched the entire video and it literally did appear randomly, in a joking video. There's no additional context needed.
And then he says don't do this. That's not random but with the purpose of telling people to not do this.

StoOgE

I agree with you that if people want to do controversial jokes, they need to own up to it if they miss the mark. But he did not target Leslie Jones, he reacted to an Internet a.i. showing Leslie Jones after asking for an Harambe picture. Now it was his choice to include it in the video the way he did and you can rightfully criticise that, but I don't think that is the same as Milo at all. Milo directly helmed an awful harassment campaign on twitter against that Leslie and my blood still boils when I think back of that.

Still, I am really dissapointed to see PDP share Sargon and Kraut, which I think is way more harmful than his recent failed and awful jokes.

He asked about Harambe after the Leslie Jones shit had happened, and still included on his video the result of Leslie Jones' harassment The internet AI didn't randomly grab a photo of Leslie Jones. It grabbed it because the internet had been attacking her in racist, sexist homophobic ways (largely because of Milo).

He then playfully shouted "that's racist" and "triggered". So no, he did not make the video calling Leslie Jones Harambe.. but after the AI returned the result he was more than happy to ride it out for a "joke".

Mechazawa

I have a huge amount of respect for PDP for dealing with what is effectively a character-assassination campaign.

People do stupid, heinous shit under the guise of "bro I was just doing a social experiment bro" all the time.

PDP doesn't actually give a shit about the limits of what desperate people are willing to do. He made people hold up fucked up shit so he could make a stupid face on camera.

Nepenthe

In an unprecedented era of an exponential increase in content, its availability, and its speed of deliverance people are more interested, perhaps out of necessity in the face of information overload, of cultivating media sources that more easily couch and support their existing worldviews which- in a world of quickly changing cultural dynamics as a result of globalization- means that this rightwing shit of insisting on this conspiracy of a completely untrustworthy media ("media" of course only meaning cherry-picked disliked sources of media) simply because of its inclusiveness was inevitable, if not sooner than later. But maybe, just maybe, this male/white backlash will act like a dying star and just burn the fuck out as fast as possible so we can move on already.

Still, I am really dissapointed to see PDP share Sargon and Kraut, which I think is way more harmful than his recent failed and awful jokes.

My point was that they come from the same place. The same movement. Laughing at a picture of Leslie jones being compared to a gorilla helps normalize the shit Milo did to her. Makes it okay to that audience. It appeals to the same brand of shit heel. People get their rocks off PdP and the graduate to guys like Milo, and for someone with his considerable reach, that kind of shit is simply irresponsible as best.

APF

And then he says don't do this. That's not random but with the purpose of telling people to not do this.

Now you're being a little misleading. The point of the video was actually having a fun time showcasing user-created content in what I'm guessing is his game. And then, he ends up showcasing a couple of rooms that have swastikas in them. Yes, he talks about what they had to go through to get the game through approvals--and this stuff doesn't help--but that's different than saying "hey guys I hate swastikas, that's wrong of you." And then right after he's like "hey don't do this" he shows another one. I'm not saying I agree with the stormfront posters in the page I linked to but I don't think this requires any additional context than what the WSJ already provided. I think actually by me watching the full video it made me think less of him, because he really seemed more concerned with storefront approvals than anything else.

Jebusman

Banned
I was wondering what type of person would put a like on one of those PDP "apology" vids. Guess we got a few in here repping

I mean, PDP fans are fans for a reason. They care about him. They want to see more of him. Anyone or anything that is seemingly threatening that status quo is their enemy. Any "call to arms" against this "enemy" gets their unconditional support, actual facts be damned.

For further examples of this, see: The United States Of America.

Sargon is a fascist.

jtb

Banned
I mean, PDP fans are fans for a reason. They care about him. They want to see more of him. Anyone or anything that is seemingly threatening that status quo is their enemy. Any "call to arms" against this "enemy" gets their unconditional support, actual facts be damned.

For further examples of this, see: The United States Of America.

you're gonna have to explain this one a little bit more

Jebusman

Banned

If harsh language immediately makes you decide a discussion isn't worth having, you were never interested in having it in the first place.

SystemUser

Sargon is an absolute cunt but I have to ask, if you were falling from a building and an alt righter who support trump extended his hands to save you would you refuse and plunge to your death?

The reason why I asked this is that shitty people are capable for making good points and doing good things regardless of how shitty they are.

Edit: Another is why do people seem to take cunts like Milo and Sargon seriously and not see that they are just pondering for the money they make from their shticks is it the british accent that's tricking people?

I think your analogy is off. He is seeking the support of racists to show that he isn't a racist.

This is like being on fire and seeking the help of flames.

He misrepresenting the people he says are misrepresenting him and getting cozy with knowing scumbags.
Pewdiepie has gone off the deep end.

hahaha damn you're right. That vox thing IS out of context. RIP

The linking to scumbags thing... yeah I guess he's thanking people that defended him. i'm not convinced that it makes him an alt-righter/nazi/whatever

Also TIL that a well-groomed beard means you're an neo nazi. Time to shave my beard

Harmen

He asked about Harambe after the Leslie Jones shit had happened, and still included on his video the result of Leslie Jones' harassment The internet AI didn't randomly grab a photo of Leslie Jones. It grabbed it because the internet had been attacking her in racist, sexist homophobic ways (largely because of Milo).

He then playfully shouted "that's racist" and "triggered". So no, he did not make the video calling Leslie Jones Harambe.. but after the AI returned the result he was more than happy to ride it out for a "joke".

Well, I can't look into his mind so I don't know his intentions. To me it seemed like a "what is this shit?" joke. I do agree with Ninja Scooter that it is irresponsible, after reading his post (see next quote).

My point was that they come from the same place. The same movement. Laughing at a picture of Leslie jones being compared to a gorilla helps normalize the shit Milo did to her. Makes it okay to that audience. It appeals to the same brand of shit heel. People get their rocks off PdP and the graduate to guys like Milo, and for someone with his considerable reach, that kind of shit is simply irresponsible as best.

Yes, actually, if you put it that way, I agree with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom