• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 PC: GAF Tournament of Victory

Kraesen

It was a really nice game against CUBE yesterday :D . But that lagging scout was just crazy :lol . Btw I have joined EAD.

sharkie

Ready and willing for tonights match :D
Li0zlO.gif

GO BLU

p.s you meeting in chat before the match or what?

Danj

There seems to be a password on the GAF TF2 server now, has it gone private or something? Is there a public GAF TF2 server somewhere?

Davidion

Danj said:
There seems to be a password on the GAF TF2 server now, has it gone private or something? Is there a public GAF TF2 server somewhere?

The tourney is being played now on the server, the password will be removed when they're done.

password:neogaftourney

"There seems to be a password on the GAF TF2 server now, has it gone private or something? Is there a public GAF TF2 server somewhere?"

That was only when tournament matches were going on but there shouldn't be any going on right now so I have clue what's going on...

I have to say the snipers on red team were really starting to get annoying on the last cap of the last map. I would finally kill their soldiers/heavies/medics in the front only to get sniped. :lol Whoever the spy was had a pretty nice game too on the red team.

1-D_FTW

I think I counted thirteen BLU guys at the beginning (when you counted Warcock and Hitokage who didn't have the tag.) That should almost be a forfeit right there. So next time KAS schedules something and our team can't make it, that's our get out of jail to delay it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I tried changing my name to "[BLU] Hitokage" several times but it wouldn't take for some reason, but yeah, we almost had full participation.

"Almost" because I don't remember seeing fallengorn.

"I think I counted thirteen BLU guys at the beginning (when you counted Warcock and Hitokage who didn't have the tag.) That should almost be a forfeit right there. So next time KAS schedules something and our team can't make it, that's our get out of jail to delay it."

Umm.... ok?

Javaman

1-D_FTW said:
I think I counted thirteen BLU guys at the beginning (when you counted Warcock and Hitokage who didn't have the tag.) That should almost be a forfeit right there. So next time KAS schedules something and our team can't make it, that's our get out of jail to delay it.

It's really no big deal. I recruited a couple of extra guys so we could make sure to have a full roster. If it turns out that we have more players for the tourney we'll just swap out players like Cube did Saturday.

Firestorm

Hitokage said:
I tried changing my name to "[BLU] Hitokage" several times but it wouldn't take for some reason, but yeah, we almost had full participation.

"Almost" because I don't remember seeing fallengorn.

name in console doesn't seem to work if you start with a [. I just opened my Friends list in the Steam overlay, View -> Settings and changed it there.

Javaman

SexConker said:
I was the one lagging bad.
I'm west coast.

I usually don't get shit like that though, but this week has been bad with my ISP.
I'll call them up and bitch this week.
Fuckers.

Damn you savvis.net!! 20% packet loss on THREE of their routers, and 20% on PTPTECH.NET

What's the best tool for checking packet loss? I've been having connection problems big time lately. My ping is usually ok, but when any action starts I start jumping 10feet each sloooow frame.

1-D_FTW said:
Well it would have been nice to have known it was being canceled an hour before scheduled.

Have you been reading the thread?!?

SexConker

Banned
Javaman said:
What's the best tool for checking packet loss? I've been having connection problems big time lately. My ping is usually ok, but when any action starts I start jumping 10feet each sloooow frame.

I just grabbed pingplotter because a COX tech on dslreports said to use it,

"Well it would have been nice to have known it was being canceled an hour before scheduled."

It's been said it was getting postponed since the beginning of the week... and reiterated on pretty much every page at least once by me or puyo.

1-D_FTW

/\/\/\/\/\/\

DSLreports.com has pretty decent tools (think it's line test) that'll give you packet loss numbers. You have to have an account, but it's free to sign up.

Javaman said:

I've been reading it, but it seemed like the same couple people stating it. Never thought we'd have full teams on either side, so if it was 6v6 or 7v7 I thought that was the best we were gonna hope for anyways. That and the fact nobody ever mentioned any alternative plans/dates, and I figured it was just a go.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"Well it would have been nice to have known it was being canceled an hour before scheduled."

It's been said it was getting postponed since the beginning of the week... and reiterated on pretty much every page at least once by me or puyo.

Alright. Reasoning was pretty much explained above. Sorry.

Puyo or who ever is running it, you can give my slot away. I wasn't planning on being in it, then when Puyo put my name on a roster, figured it'd be fun. But this is the only thing that's really been keeping me in TF2 (I'd play 30 minutes here and there to keep from completely rusting up.) It also seems I've been posting more than playing it, so I'm just gonna cut the cord on it. Go BLU.

"Alright. Reasoning was pretty much explained above. Sorry.

Puyo or who ever is running it, you can give my slot away. I wasn't planning on being in it, then when Puyo put my name on a roster, figured it'd be fun. But this is the only thing that's really been keeping me in TF2 (I'd play 30 minutes here and there to keep from completely rusting up.) It also seems I've been posting more than playing it, so I'm just gonna cut the cord on it. Go BLU."

:( You shouldn't quit just because it didn't pan out today. We should be having the match in a day or two.

WARCOCK

Banned
Kraesen said:
It was a really nice game against CUBE yesterday :D . But that lagging scout was just crazy :lol . Btw I have joined EAD.

Interchange crazy by exploitative. Not to say that Xizk isnt a good player, but the lag compensation garbage is really fucking annoying. That being said this tourney is stupid fun, so who cares.

Jacobi

Banned
WARCOCK said:
Interchange crazy by exploitative. Not to say that Xizk isnt a good player, but the lag compensation garbage is really fucking annoying. That being said this tourney is stupid fun, so who cares.
Hm, my bad ping doesn't really play out at least for me. Pyro for example is mostly fucking useless

Xizk

WARCOCK said:
Its mostly does weird shit with scout and sniper.

Don't complain, had the same issues where Cell shot me when I had rounded a corner.

Edit: Oh yeah. Recorded demos. I'll try to upload some funny moments when I have time. Like when me and hito killed each other the same time.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Xizk said:
Don't complain, had the same issues where Cell shot me when I had rounded a corner.

Edit: Oh yeah. Recorded demos. I'll try to upload some funny moments when I have time. Like when me and hito killed each other the same time.

This happens to me a lot. I've only seen it in other games while lagging, but I don't even ping over 100 on the servers I play on and it still happens.

I just watched my one and only demo from the CUBE vs EAD, if anyone wants it ill see how I can upload it. It's actually a pretty good match, we took the center point, they pushed us back and took it. We eventually fought over it and won though. The POV isn't very exciting though, I was playing medic.

BLU and KAS could learn a lot from watching how CUBE pushed us back. :D

Davidion

PillowKnight said:
I just watched my one and only demo from the CUBE vs EAD, if anyone wants it ill see how I can upload it. It's actually a pretty good match, we took the center point, they pushed us back and took it. We eventually fought over it and won though. The POV isn't very exciting though, I was playing medic.

BLU and KAS could learn a lot from watching how CUBE pushed us back. :D

I'm still bitter about getting taken out by Yakisoba from the back. Almost had the point and then I got careless. :(

Ahh well, live and learn.

edit: I'd love to see that demo, actually. Might learn a thing or two.

haha, what? The scout was in last place -- he couldn't hit anything. So I don't understand why everyone is bitching about him warping all over the place like it gave him some kind of advantage.

But the tournament is really fun. What's next? Are BLU and KAS playing a match next weekend? Any scrims this week?

RESCHEDULE of BLU/KAS Match

Javaman, please talk with BLU members and decide on what day would work best for the match with KAS.

Icy, will you be able to round up enough KAS members for a match this week?

If BLU can play KAS one weekday this week:

1) EAD versus winner of BLU/KAS will happen Saturday afternoon.
2) CUBE versus loser of BLU/KAS will happen Sunday.

n0b

omgimaninja said:

Javaman, please talk with BLU members and decide on what day would work best for the match with KAS.

A two round tournament? :\ Each team should play each other at least once I would think. :(

WARCOCK

Banned
Xizk said:

Yes and that is why you should both play on western or eastern european servers for non gaf events/gaming. Help yourselves and the ones around you. Caring is sharing. I mean tf2 is already random as is lol. Needs some of the CS 1.6 lag punishing net code. JAG SUGER LAG.

WARCOCK

Banned
n0b said:
A two round tournament? :\ Each team should play each other at least once I would think. :(

If the server survives we need to switch the format around. The teams are really horrible. Teknopathetic suggested a kind of draft to even things up and make it more interesting. I for one would enforce a no european player regulation, but that wouldnt bode well with our userbase i suppose :( LOL!1

n0b

WARCOCK said:
If the server survives we need to switch the format around. The teams are really horrible. Teknopathetic suggested a kind of draft to even things up and make it more interesting. I for one would enforce a no european player regulation, but that wouldnt bode well with our userbase i suppose :( LOL!1
I don't think we should exclude them, its just I don't think the scheduling should be focused on any one group of people...we have people all the way out to Australia as well, so no matter what someone's schedule is going to be screwed. We just have to schedule each match individually, to make sure we can get as many people in each match as possible.

Draft could be interesting. I think we should shrink the teams a bit for the next tournament though, maybe 8v8 max.

WARCOCK said:
Yes and that is why you should both play on western or eastern european servers for non gaf events/gaming. Help yourselves and the ones around you. Caring is sharing. I mean tf2 is already random as is lol. Needs some of the CS 1.6 lag punishing net code. JAG SUGER LAG.
The lag that comes with playing European players is usually bearable. Also, it's not very rare for lag compensation to strike even when someone has a low ping, it goes both ways though.

The guy who was lagging in EAD vs CUBE said he was within the U.S. , and his lag was ridiculous, ie his character would just hover in the air without moving for a few seconds. It didn't really help him much aside from the occasional disappearing act.

The demo :
http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/de09507746_7.15MB !!!
Apparently the first like doesnt work, try this :
http://rapidshare.de/files/38434109/CUBEvsEAD.dem.html

In case anyone forgot put the file inside C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\(your steam username here)\team fortress 2\tf
Then in the console type in "playdemo (filename)"

The highlight was definitely when I ubered doytch and he took down two heavies, two medics and a demoman. He really played flawlessly when he was with me, the part where im about to die and he jumps in front of a rocket, is also awesome.

WARCOCK

Banned
n0b said:
I don't think we should exclude them, its just I don't think the scheduling should be focused on any one group of people...we have people all the way out to Australia as well, so no matter what someone's schedule is going to be screwed. We just have to schedule each match individually, to make sure we can get as many people in each match as possible.

Draft could be interesting. I think we should shrink the teams a bit for the next tournament though, maybe 8v8 max.
I was obviously kidding, gaftourney is really a joke in many respects(format,weak strats, no latency considerations etc...) but that is why its so fun. And in this light everybody should be able to play no matter from where. That said you raise a legitimate geographical issue. The timing has been pretty juked so far.

PillowKnight said:
The lag that comes with playing European players is usually bearable. Also, it's not very rare for lag compensation to strike even when someone has a low ping, it goes both ways though.

While this is true, the magnitude to which very high pings (150+) affect the game is much more noticeable. I for one abuse lag comp given that i play with around 85 ping on east. That said you dont see me ghosting around and registering every shot as a scout, if anything i might pull some bs with the sniper.

Doytch

omgimaninja said:

Sunday game will have no one coming... Supah Bowl and all that jazz.

Top Bottom