• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaser for Valkyrie Anatomia: The Origin (new Valkyrie Profile?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think duckroll's point is that screaming about something in every thread for five years doesn't actually accomplish anything.

We can look at some similar examples pretty easily. Every major retail game has a season pass, yet people comes in to type in all caps about how it's the end of the world and berate an OP if they express excitement. Does anyone feel that's helpful?

Handheld games also increasingly get dumped upon fur being on handhelds due to the dying nature of that market. Would you look forward to a future where you enter Ace Attorney threads and 90% of the posts are about how they could possibly release on a shit ass platform like 3DS?

Okay what about Sony and online passes? What about GG getting riled up over the BG line? Tracer's pose? Japanese games (Danganronpa, trails, etc) on steam? Operation Rainfall releases?

With how the Japanese market is this might be futile but you don't get what you want by being quiet about it.

Also god damn it it's mobile.

I'm cautiously excited about this.

I don't really care about the platform either way, mobile is fine by me as long as it's a premium app and the game is good, but lol @ the usual tears.

poncle

Man it sucks being a fan when this stuff happens. There is so little information on that teaser that it just makes it frustrating, can't stop thinking about what it could be. Guess that having an action figure of Lenneth and Freya on the desk doesn't help.

ANATOMIA in title is very interesting, since what elevates a Valkyrie above the gods is their anatomy, and body/soul swapping is a big deal in both VP1-2 .
"Destiny undone" and "the Origin" make it sound like a reboot, or maybe just a prequel, where we see how the gods took control in the first place.
Hopefully the timeline of VP2 is forgotten, and time-travelling is banished from the series, so the writers can forget about using crappy clichés ever again.

No gameplay expectations since tri-Ace isn't mentioned... but VP gameplay is a lot less satisfying without buttons; try Brave Frontier for proof.

Renasu

Neo Member
Assuming there is some resemblance of a story in this game, it should be possible to get a hint from the tagline, as has been the case for previous games.

Here are the taglines for the four games:

Valkyrie Profile 1: Should Deny The Divine Destiny of the Destinies.

Valkyrie Profile 2: The Destinies mend rifts in time as Man etches fate anew.

Valkyrie Profile Covenant of the Plume: "Destiny by sinner sought, tragedy by power wrought.

Valkyrie Anatomia: Destiny undone in the name of the Divine

Without spoiling too much of the past games, based on those stories, I think Destiny/Destinies refer to the three Valkyries in VP1 and VP2, while it refers to Lenneth in CoP. As the icon of VA is also clearly Lenneth, it seems likely that she's the 'main' Valkyrie of this entry as well. It remains to be seen in what way she will be 'undone' (hopefully not literally)...

Finally, if the above speculation is true, 'Divine' probably refers to the high-tier gods like Odin and Freya. Perhaps the player(s) are working with Valhalla to hunt her down?

It's a game about collecting valkyrie body parts for Odin! Would work well with the gacha model!

Lime

Aren't chances of this being localized even less when it's a mobile title? Just curious as something with little experience with Japanese-developed mobile titles here in Europe.

but VP gameplay is a lot less satisfying without buttons; try Brave Frontier for proof.

Yeah, this is what I'm worried about (besides production scope). if it'll just be mashing your thumb on the screen or what.

Keasar

Yeah, this is what I'm worried about (besides production scope). if it'll just be mashing your thumb on the screen or what.

LtiPZEl.gif

#25 on Apples Top Paid Apps that month.

They know they don't have to do more.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Lol, same old garbage from the same old losers.

"NOOOO MOBILE!!!!!!!!!!!"

"FUUUUCK!!!"

notlikethis.gif

<insert meme here>

Might as well just stop playing Japanese games if you're allergic to the present and future of gaming in the Far East. :p

Personally, if Japan goes completely mobile, I will probably stop (unless something radically changes with the quality and style of mobile game - Romancing SaGa 2 mobile being a decent first step towards what I'm looking for). The average mobile game is not in line at all with what I look for in a game. Tight controls, a good story, a 'complete' experience with a retail package. Sure, I might be a dinosaur but even if I stopped playing games tomorrow I'll still have a lifetime of backlog ahead of me so it doesn't bother me too much.

Still, I'd rather the series be dead than go to the mobile gatcha purgatory. Because, let's be honest, there's a 99.9% chance this will be a low-budget effort with recycled character art where you 'pull' for the chance to get a rare Einherijar, and then do nothing but battle in simplified battles, with nary any chance of storyline or the interesting platforming mechanics of the VP series.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Ooooh boy, I'm in.

"FUUUUCK!!!"

notlikethis.gif

<insert meme here>

Might as well just stop playing Japanese games if you're allergic to the present and future of gaming in the Far East. :p

I feel so warm inside when duck says the things I wanna say but am too scared to say.

SeanTSC

"FUUUUCK!!!"

notlikethis.gif

<insert meme here>

Given Square's huge amount of console releases they're doing right now I do hope they continue the trend that they're on instead of going back to throw away mobile games. Star Ocean 5, FFXV, Neir Automata, Setsuna, KH3, DQ11. Pretty awesome trend! It'd be great if VP was part of it.

Lime

If they do well enough yeah.

Im glad granblue doesnt work correctly on my device or else Id be goddamned poor.

Kinda sad Little Noah didnt seem to get an artbook though.

Thanks, if they really get the Yoshinaro brothers on board (or artists as talented as those), I'd definitely pitch in for an artbook regardless of language.

LtiPZEl.gif

#25 on Apples Top Paid Apps that month.

They know they don't have to do more.

:'(

Because, let's be honest, there's a 99.9% chance this will be a low-budget effort with recycled character art where you 'pull' for the chance to get a rare Einherijar, and then do nothing but battle in simplified battles, with nary any chance of storyline or the interesting platforming mechanics of the VP series.

Aren't there cases of mobile games having emphasis on storytelling? It wouldn't be the same without some sort of narrative in a Valkyrie Profile game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Aren't chances of this being localized even less when it's a mobile title? Just curious as something with little experience with Japanese-developed mobile titles here in Europe.

Localization is probably the biggest issue.

Actual mobile game design however has been changing over time and is becoming progressively more popular on the forum.

This fight from Terra Battle is a pretty reasonable example of something you might find these days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coriZaofX-I&nohtml5=False

In Granblue Fantasy, you will also notice lots of standard JRPG combat features like abilities, summons, status effects, equipment, and classes on top of a plotline and lots of voice acting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzR--ljzXM0&nohtml5=False

They're definitely not 1:1 to what people expect out of console or handheld titles, but the era of feature phone Mobage games or Final Fantasy: All The Bravest is something we've moved past as well.

That's not to say there aren't still some simplistic games in the market, so I make no promises about this game in particular.

Datschge

Interesting seeing producer Yamagishi being back with a former tri-Ace brand after 7 years of trying to come up with something else.

MrDoctor

i'd be down for a remake. the one thing i don't like about mobile is it's the most perishable format

More Yoshinari art would be perfect. Do Japanese mobile games usually get artbook releases?
rage of bahamut got a cool book that was released here in na

Ananaz

I think the title makes it pretty obvious Yoshinori Yamagishi finally got to fulfill his life-long dream of making erotic games and so Valkyria Anatomia is a simulation game where you create your own loli valkyrie homunculus and then nurture it to become a fully grown Battle Maiden! It's basically a game where you are Lezard.

I'm happy to see the series isn't completely dead.

"FUUUUCK!!!"

notlikethis.gif

<insert meme here>

So if I dislike most mobile games I'm a loser? Well, good to know.

So if I dislike most mobile games I'm a loser? Well, good to know.

Loser point removed he is still correct in that this is not a new trend that Japan (and other game developers) have been moving towards lately. While it's certainly understandable that when it comes to mobile platform games the predominant mindset of the Western market defaults to: trash, low-quality, gacha, pay2win, etc.

However it is different for the JP market and while we certainly are not at the level that I would be comfortable seeing different types of games make a primary switch to mobile as their main platform, they are indeed getting better.

Lime

I can't say enough how much I long for a proper Valkyrie Profile 3: Hrist.

I think SE is holding it hostage until/if Star Ocean 5 sells enough in the West. Or maybe the most we will see out of the series is this particular mobile game.

I'd just be satisfied with one final self-contained title with a full narrative arc with Hrist to complete the trilogy, a game combat system played with a physical controller, and the Yoshinari brothers or someone equal to do the art.

If not, at least release the old games on PSN and/or Steam.

No, but if you find that you have a compulsion to go into announcement threads for mobile games to whine about how much you hate mobile, that's a good indication of loser behavior.

Yeah, but the series has a history on consoles/handhelds with tactile feedback. I understand why you and others are tired of the "whining", but I also understand why someone who's a fan of the series would be displaying their disappointment with this new game being mobile. Times have changed certainly, but that doesn't mean that people aren't allowed to relate to their own past play experiences with a series.

Since this series has been more or less dead for a while, I will hesitantly anticipate whatever form this resurrection will take. But there are always crueler fates than death...
It's going to be einherjar gacha, isn't it?

duckroll

Yeah, but the series has a history on consoles/handhelds with tactile feedback. I understand why you and others are tired of the "whining", but I also understand why someone who's a fan of the series would be displaying their disappointment with this new game being mobile. Times have changed certainly, but that doesn't mean that people aren't allowed to relate to their own past play experiences with a series.

Said series also has a history of being dead. Just saying.

Wereroku

Loser point removed he is still correct in that this is not a new trend that Japan (and other game developers) have been moving towards lately. While it's certainly understandable that when it comes to mobile platform games the predominant mindset of the Western market defaults to: trash, low-quality, gacha, pay2win, etc.

However it is different for the JP market and while we certainly are not at the level that I would be comfortable seeing different types of games make a primary switch to mobile as their main platform, they are indeed getting better.

The biggest problem with mobile is that people don't like to spend more then 1.99 on a paid game and most don't like to spend anything. There is always going to be a problem when games have to be designed to be cheap or free. Even though some f2p games have good content they are usually built around the monetary system on mobile. The Dragon Ball mobile game I play has events that can't be beaten unless you have a gatcha character with a special skill. Plus the battery life advances are constantly being cancelled out by the ever more powerful processors and screens in newer mobile phones. So companies are forced to design around the idea that most players will turn the game on for 1-5 minutes then do something else. This goes against longer fights or sequences which were a staple in older rpg's.

Another important point. These games are only being made because they are cheaper to make. Like BOF6 most companies have gotten incredibly risk averse, especially in japan, so yes I would like a full traditional VP3 but this existing isn't stopping that from happening it's a completely different project and budget.

Shahed

No, but if you find that you have a compulsion to go into announcement threads for mobile games to whine about how much you hate mobile, that's a good indication of loser behavior.

Exactly. I wasn't a big fan of the trend of Japanese developers moving to mobile but it made perfect business sense. Seeing the future I decided to give mobile games a real shot. Spent a good amount of time with Terra battle, FF Record Keeper and recently Tales of Link. Bar some initial fun after a while I found the games stale and the general mobile gaming experience not to my liking. Heck I'm not even a fan of the handheld experience (3DS/Vita) despite owning them, so mobile is just that bit more awkward and uncomfortable for me.

But I accepted that a while ago. Just because I'm not a fan it doesn't mean no else is. So sure when I hear about a potential Valkyrie Profile, Breath of Fire or whatever mobile game I'm disappointed. But I don't go into threads about them and complain. Like it or hate it mobile gaming is here to stay, and if anything will grow in the future. Whining serves no purpose and people would be better to make their peace with it now. Otherwise they'll just continue to get more and more bitter as time and further releases continue

Lime

True, but I guess expectations were not necessarily mobile because of the thread title (although the "whining" would probably still happen :lol).

Regardless, it's pretty weird having Star Ocean 5 (with warts and all) coming out soon as a console title and then also seeing so much talk about Valkyrie Profile (the Kobayashi interview, SO5 bonuses, Exist Archive), followed by a presumably mobile title. Uncertain and exciting times indeed and I'm wondering what the future holds.

Another important point. These games are only being made because they are cheaper to make. Like BOF6 most companies have gotten incredibly risk averse, especially in japan, so yes I would like a full traditional VP3 but this existing isn't stopping that from happening it's a completely different project and budget.

Good point that's been echoed by others as well in this thread. Like Skilletor said, I'll take any acknowledgment of the series regardless of platform.

Nyoro SF

Well when console development is so risky nowadays it's pretty much a given outside of literal publisher insanity handling old IPs that it's a mobile title. Unless someone wants to run the "old niche games don't get mobile sequels/prequels" argument past me again.

We'll see how it goes.

Wereroku

True, but I guess expectations were not necessarily mobile because of the thread title (although the "whining" would probably still happen :lol).

Regardless, it's pretty weird having Star Ocean 5 (with warts and all) coming out soon as a console title and then also seeing so much talk about Valkyrie Profile (the Kobayashi interview, SO5 bonuses, Exist Archive), followed by a presumably mobile title. Uncertain and exciting times indeed and I'm wondering what the future holds.

Honestly I see Exist Archive as a VP pitch that didn't get the green light so they decided to do it themselves. I could see them taking the existing system and making a lower priced pitch to SE for a new traditional VP game. With all the money they have sunk into FFXV and SO5 I don't see SE putting a ton of money into anything else until we see how those investments turns out.

It bet not be mobile.

It's going to be mobile but it might be a new push for the series.

VP is all about collecting new warriors. This is going to be another Gacha game.

If they could make it so that the battles are like the original, it could still be a good game. I have a feeling though it will just be a typical rpg though.

BluWacky

VP1's mechanics lend themselves perfectly to mobile:

- episodic
- collecting warriors
- upgrading by using points
- battle mechanics that easily transfer to stabbing at the screen ;)

The key to success, at least from my perspective, is to somehow tie the storyline to the collection of said warriors. I suppose this is what, say, Record Keeper does (at least in the bits I've played) - it's equipment that's put in the gatcha there, rather than the characters, who are earned through gameplay (please correct me if I'm wrong). So if you can still write the depressing vignettes around characters from around the world, you'll still have much of the essence of VP. With that said, I suppose the money-making aspect will be characters.

I haven't played enough of Squenix's recent mobage output to know how much gameplay beyond battles makes its way in - I suspect, however, that the platforming sections would be cut.

kiryogi

Banned

It's been said and there's articles out there, unlike that of the west in comparison, JP gacha/premium mobage is basically on a whole different level from the presumed assumption of what a mobile game is. It's due to this factor that Japanese mobile games tend to have more traction. Granblue Fantasy is full voiced, along with probably one of the best production values out there for a mobile game. There's a reason why it had the biggest spot @ TGS last year.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. Not getting hyped. It will be mobile trash. Nope. Flee, flee.

Title says nothing about this being a mobile game so yeah you're going to get people(like me) who read the title and are excited only to find out it's a mobile game. Change the title if you don't want people who hate mobile stuff to come in here and share their disappointment.

Wereroku

VP1's mechanics lend themselves perfectly to mobile:

- episodic
- collecting warriors
- upgrading by using points
- battle mechanics that easily transfer to stabbing at the screen ;)

The key to success, at least from my perspective, is to somehow tie the storyline to the collection of said warriors. I suppose this is what, say, Record Keeper does (at least in the bits I've played) - it's equipment that's put in the gatcha there, rather than the characters, who are earned through gameplay (please correct me if I'm wrong). So if you can still write the depressing vignettes around characters from around the world, you'll still have much of the essence of VP. With that said, I suppose the money-making aspect will be characters.

I haven't played enough of Squenix's recent mobage output to know how much gameplay beyond battles makes its way in - I suspect, however, that the platforming sections would be cut.

VP2 shows how weak the random characters can make the story in places but having a certain amount of always awarded characters would make them able to craft episodes fairly well and allow for some quests unlocking if you obtained certain special ones. Will be interesting to see how they handle it and how bad/good the money systems are.

Nope. Not getting hyped. It will be mobile trash. Nope. Flee, flee.

Title says nothing about this being a mobile game so yeah you're going to get people(like me) who read the title and are excited only to find out it's a mobile game. Change the title if you don't want people who hate mobile stuff to come in here and share their disappointment.

Or be a reasonable human being by reading the thread and halt the usual shitposting. You can air your frustrations in a form that doesn't equal the same tired gifs, whining about gaming being dead, and other such belly aching for the sake of such.

Hell, we can even discuss the fact that how this could possibly lead up to another JRPG on the consoles, since the VP IP has been dead for years, so only a handful of people are going to buy a fully budgeted console ready game. SE recently revived Star Ocean, so it's not completely off the table considering their lower budget ventures.

Athreous

So, it's confirmed that's a mobile game?

Well, I was a bit concerned about the quality of the game, but sadly, it's the future of some games, to go mobile only...

So i'm actually excited about how the game will be, if it'll be as good as it's on consoles, and after the release of FFT on Tablets, maybe this game will be good!

duckroll

The problem with shitposting is that it gets in the way of actual discussion. If we want to talk about what sort of game it could be, or the implications of it not being called Valkyrie Profile, or why the scenario writer is a Japanese stage writer/director instead of the tri-Ace creators, it's hardly possible to get that going when every 5 other post is "LOL MOBILE" or whatever. Get over yourselves. Seriously.

It could be a crappy ass mobile game, it could be an interesting new VP project. Either way though, I'm pretty sure the people shitposting don't care. You don't play mobile games, you don't care for mobile games, we get it. Now move the fuck on.

I do wonder what the significance is of going from "face" (Profile) to "body" (Anatomia).
Remastered collection confirmed.
Maybe it won't be as strongly focused on a single Valkyrie.

I hope it's a complimentary piece to a larger project on any format, be it mobile, consoles, or handheld. Reason being, I recently fucking love side stores and prequel things where I can quickly play and hop in that add to the whole, and for the benefit of the IP, starting off slow would definitely help build interest.

Lime

I hope it's a complimentary piece to a larger project on any format, be it mobile, consoles, or handheld. Reason being, I recently fucking love side stores and prequel things where I can quickly play and hop in that add to the whole, and for the benefit of the IP, starting off slow would definitely help build interest.

The 'Origins' title may also suggest something of a precursor to a series or perhaps a product line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom