• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaser for Valkyrie Anatomia: The Origin (new Valkyrie Profile?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Let's be honest though Duckroll, when people see mobile, they expect Free to play, low tier effort, heavy recycling. Outside of ports, SE didn't really made sth big enough yet on mobile.

That doesn't mean people should spam threads with that kind of shitposting either.

kiryogi

Banned
The 'Origins' title may also suggest something of a precursor to a series or perhaps a product line.

TBH it could very well be something like Kingdom Hearts Unchained with how that was the KH Origin story. Could be exciting, but the player avatars were D:

poncle

And VP1 and VP2 on PSN+Steam

We can forget about that altogether, there's no way SE will ever be able to justify the massive effort required to port that technical miracle/mess of VP2. Maybe there's some hope for VP1, but all tri-Ace games are overall a pain in the ass to port, remaster, or touch in general.

We can forget about that altogether, there's no way SE will ever be able to justify the massive effort required to port that technical miracle/mess of VP2. Maybe there's some hope for VP1, but all tri-Ace games are overall a pain in the ass to port, remaster, or touch in general.
Technical mess? Care to elaborate? All I remember was VP2 being a very good looking late PS2 title that ran without any noticeable problems.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Technical mess? Care to elaborate? All I remember was VP2 being a very good looking late PS2 title that ran without any noticeable problems.

I'd assume that tri-Ace pushed the Emotion Engine to its limits, using undocumented/unorthodox routines to get those graphics to look so good, and emulating them/porting the game may be a hassle because of this.

poncle

Yes, it's beautiful and runs perfectly on PS2, because the code was optimized to work on that specific platform. The devs have used several rendering techniques and tricks that cannot easily be ported to other platforms.

Also, anyone from the old GameShark hacking scene can confirm that VP2 is probably the most difficult PS2 game out there to hack, due to encryption, arbitrary checksums, and a really volatile usage of memory, that happen to be all stuff that also legit coders should have to deal with when doing a port.

Lime

Well, if not VP2 because of its complexities, at least VP1 which should be relatively easy to port.

Not sure what's holding it up. Licensing or that outsourced studio that did the psp port

Takao

Banned
Localization is probably the biggest issue.

No, I'd say the potential for it to completely vanish within a year is the biggest issue. Square Enix's western branches have been universally terrible at getting out the company's service games, though.

Qwark

Maybe Origin just means it's a tease for a bigger non-mobile game, believe!

I'm pretty excited for this, I loved the first one, never played the second one but it's sitting in my backlog.

Shiokazu

gacha...

you'll have to waste money to get good characters to actually do any shit in this game, or else you'll be rerolling your time instead of playing and enjoying the game.

this is not garbage, its worst. its recycled garbage.

(PROBABLY)

No, but if you find that you have a compulsion to go into announcement threads for mobile games to whine about how much you hate mobile, that's a good indication of loser behavior.

1) How in the hell is one supposed to know this game is for mobile without going into the thread? The title (and even OP!) had zero indication that this was the case.
2) Most people weren't whining about hating mobile in general, they were expressing disappointment after being led to think this was a non-mobile title (see 1).
3) Even if you like mobile games (and some of them are legitimate good titles), it's hard to ignore that SE has been pretty much on gacha mode for everything that isn't remakes. Granted, if you like gacha games more power to you, but a little understanding for those who were expecting an actual JRPG is surely not too much to ask? Or at the very least not outright insulting them?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
VP1 isn't even a PS Classic or doesn't need to be, Lenneth released on the PSP and Square just never wanted to put it up on PSN like pretty much every other PSP game.

What do you mean it doesn't need to be? The fuck it doesn't. Both VP1 and VP2 need to be on PSN. And its not a Square decision to make, its Enix, they are the controlling partners and they don't want to re-release these games in the west for some reason.

Shouta

Localization is probably the biggest issue.

Actual mobile game design however has been changing over time and is becoming progressively more popular on the forum.

This fight from Terra Battle is a pretty reasonable example of something you might find these days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coriZaofX-I&nohtml5=False

In Granblue Fantasy, you will also notice lots of standard JRPG combat features like abilities, summons, status effects, equipment, and classes on top of a plotline and lots of voice acting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzR--ljzXM0&nohtml5=False

They're definitely not 1:1 to what people expect out of console or handheld titles, but the era of feature phone Mobage games or Final Fantasy: All The Bravest is something we've moved past as well.

That's not to say there aren't still some simplistic games in the market, so I make no promises about this game in particular.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius would be a good example of something closer to what folks want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmlwTo0xTVA

Shouta

That looks pretty dope from a visual perspective. Is it a "premium" title or F2P? And is it possible to turn it widescreen?

F2P and no widescreen. They've been super generous with the game though. Tons of Lapis, their currency, and summon tickets if you've been playing since the start.

The game also has story sequences done overhead, towns, and exploration dungeons on top of the usual mobile game style dungeons. This week has an event with a recreation of the Crystal Tower from FF3. They did a Tower of Babel event last month which was a recreation of a decent chunk of that as well as the boss fights from FF4 in that section.

Psxphile

Assuming there is some resemblance of a story in this game, it should be possible to get a hint from the tagline, as has been the case for previous games.

Here are the taglines for the four games:

Valkyrie Profile 1: Should Deny The Divine Destiny of the Destinies.

Valkyrie Profile 2: The Destinies mend rifts in time as Man etches fate anew.

Valkyrie Profile Covenant of the Plume: "Destiny by sinner sought, tragedy by power wrought.

Valkyrie Anatomia: Destiny undone in the name of the Divine

Without spoiling too much of the past games, based on those stories, I think Destiny/Destinies refer to the three Valkyries in VP1 and VP2, while it refers to Lenneth in CoP. As the icon of VA is also clearly Lenneth, it seems likely that she's the 'main' Valkyrie of this entry as well. It remains to be seen in what way she will be 'undone' (hopefully not literally)...

Finally, if the above speculation is true, 'Divine' probably refers to the high-tier gods like Odin and Freya. Perhaps the player(s) are working with Valhalla to hunt her down?

It's a game about collecting valkyrie body parts for Odin! Would work well with the gacha model!
Just wanted to say: I appreciate this post, even if no one else does.

Hrist will get her game someday.

I will never stop believing.
They'll have her show up as a cameo in some bonus mode, and even saltier than ever.

Datschge

While I'm cautiously optimistic that it will be good, I think too few people note that this game is not even called Profile. Even the non-profile VP based SRPG spin off was still called VP, so I fully expect some gatcha based mobile game with focus on the stories of the einherjars you collect again. Even before one notices the game will "launch" instead "release". And I'm not sarcastic nor do I think it's an inherently bad idea. (Fake edit, I see it's so obvious I'm not even alone with this.)

We don't talk about Mindjack around here. :)
Nor about Soul Eater or Shinsei no Grand Union, whatever *that* was, if it ever actually came into being. Which is exactly my point. =P

So then, I guess this sorta confirms that Exist Archive was probably a pitch for VP3 ("hey, what about making VP3 on a lower budget on 3DS" "No!") that failed so they just changed it around to make a new IP instead with a lot of the same mechanics?

And perhaps a successful mobile game entry will eventually lead to a console entry as well? Or maybe it will get made in preparation for VP3, since Square have a thing for making multipe projects for series in tandem; see "Ivalice Alliance")? Or just a mobile game and that's that? Could go any way.

1) How in the hell is one supposed to know this game is for mobile without going into the thread? The title (and even OP!) had zero indication that this was the case.
2) Most people weren't whining about hating mobile in general, they were expressing disappointment after being led to think this was a non-mobile title (see 1).
3) Even if you like mobile games (and some of them are legitimate good titles), it's hard to ignore that SE has been pretty much on gacha mode for everything that isn't remakes. Granted, if you like gacha games more power to you, but a little understanding for those who were expecting an actual JRPG is surely not too much to ask? Or at the very least not outright insulting them?

The OP had no idea that it was going to be possibly mobile. He just posted the news.

People still are whining about mobile existing, console gaming being dead, and how the IP is being treated. That detracts from the overall discussion. People could barely talk about the game without seven posts whining about it being on mobile. It's hard to actually have a conversation about the topic at hand when people post disinterest and leave. It's not even attempting to have a conversation, it's just shitposting and complaining.

At some level, it overrides the talk, and it's no longer about what this game could be, but isn't.

And are people really complaining about SE's output? Star Ocean 5 is about to be released stateside, they just had Exist Archive in Japan, FF15 is coming out this year, we are getting a sequel to Nier published by SE, and I Am Setsuna is coming stateside. None of those games are remakes.

So how about a little understanding for those who actually want to talk about the game? You can express disinterest in other topics and not derail the thread that way.

Lime

So then, I guess this sorta confirms that Exist Archive was probably a pitch for VP3 ("hey, what about making VP3 on a lower budget on 3DS" "No!") that failed so they just changed it around to make a new IP instead with a lot of the same mechanics?

And are people really complaining about SE's output? Star Ocean 5 is about to be released stateside, they just had Exist Archive in Japan

Has there been any news on localizing Exist Archive? I'm wondering why we haven't heard anything or is Spike Chunsoft a bit disappointed with the JPN sales of the game? Or are they re-tooling it (deflating the Xbox Avatar heads)?

Has there been any news on localizing Exist Archive? I'm wondering why we haven't heard anything or is Spike Chunsoft a bit disappointed with the JPN sales of the game? Or are they re-tooling it (deflating the Xbox Avatar heads)?

I'd wait until E3 before getting worried about it. Aksys, XSEED, NIS America, Atlus USA (Now SEGA USA, I guess) any of them could have it for localization. My bet is on Aksys or NIS America due to their already good relationship with the co-developer/publisher Spike Chunsoft (Zero Escape/Danganronpa respectively).

Beth Cyra

VP Lenneth is of my favorite games ever.

VP2 is pure trash.

Ball is in your court Square. Please win me back.....the writer choosen makes me hopeful.

I pray it comes to the west, always need more quality mobile games.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
lol VP2 pure trash

One of the best rpgs on PS2 is definitely not pure trash.

Nanashrew

Banned
I don't mind mobile games but the problem is they are all gatcha shit. I really hope Japan outlaws it since it is such a cancerous mechanic.

Some political people don't like what's been happening with mobile recently. The wheels are turning all because of that one gacha game that pretty much scammed a person out of thousands of yen.

Squire

Banned
Replace with "trends" if you prefer. I don't think I affect my point. That's just me though.

Counterpoint: Staunch refusal to get with the times is pretty fickle.

Things are gonna change, inevitably. You can open your mind to new experiences or just have less and less new options going forward. Up to you.

Soriku

VP Lenneth is of my favorite games ever.

VP2 is pure trash.

Ball is in your court Square. Please win me back.....the writer choosen makes me hopeful.

I pray it comes to the west, always need more quality mobile games.

Well thank you :)

Seriously VP1? Maybe top of 5 games of all time so I would love a good new entry regardless of platform.

VP2 had an awesome unique battle system, very good platforming that incorporated a cool warp mechanic, a good soundtrack, good graphics (with progressive scan), and even a decent story for tri-Ace

Pure trash? Smh.

Really hope this is for PS4 just because of how lovely VP2 looked on PS2. Any VP news is good news I guess, mobile or not... though and sorry to say it, hope it's not a Vita - PS4 cross over. No matter how fun those games might be, they look terrible on PS4.

Takao

Banned

If Shiren the Wanderer 5 Plus, Mystery Chronicle and Grand Kingdom came over, Exist Archive will too.

As for sales, well, the producer of the game spoke about how it was hard to make new IPs in today's dedicated market shortly after release. Take from that what you will.

How did a 3DS game wind up on Vita and PS4? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom