• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaser for Valkyrie Anatomia: The Origin (new Valkyrie Profile?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acosta

The problem with shitposting is that it gets in the way of actual discussion. If we want to talk about what sort of game it could be, or the implications of it not being called Valkyrie Profile, or why the scenario writer is a Japanese stage writer/director instead of the tri-Ace creators, it's hardly possible to get that going when every 5 other post is "LOL MOBILE" or whatever. Get over yourselves. Seriously.

It could be a crappy ass mobile game, it could be an interesting new VP project. Either way though, I'm pretty sure the people shitposting don't care. You don't play mobile games, you don't care for mobile games, we get it. Now move the fuck on.

Expressing disappointment that the next step of a beloved series is not what one wanted is not shitposting and, with due respect, the loser part is uncalled for, duckroll (this is coming from somebody who really appreciates you as poster from many years).

Yes, the industry is changing, and yes, we won't go back to the "golden years" whatever that means, that doesn't change the fact that people have expectations and desires, and it hurts when something frustrates you. Expressing that in a forum, which is the only relief to have, shouldn't be something to be mocked.

I would understand your point if this was the OT of this game and people came to post in that tone, that would be uncalled for and annoying. But this is just a teaser thread, and I feel one should be able to express his disappointment in a announcement thread. Then, that person can "fuck on", and avoid every other single thread about the game so the people who are interested can discuss it in peace, but right now we don't even know what the game is about and I feel is fair for every fan of the series to express their feelings.

(Not saying this for myself, I'm interested in mobile gaming and will try Granblue when I have a new mobile, just trying to empathize with people who feels sad about this).

Hey! Valkyrie Profile exists at least! Maybe something in the style of tactics game like Plume would work well on phones....honestly just happy to see more VP!

BluWacky

In the gacha thread someone mentioned that Tri-Ace have recently released a game called Heaven X Inferno. I thought people might be interested in what it looks like:

559000002325101.JPEG

You attack by tapping the character portraits and there's a gauge of how many moves you can do. Character attacks can juggle or smash enemies up and down (there are three planes of fighting with different status effects on each plane), and although I haven't activated one yet there are Divine Assault-esque limit break attacks. In terms of the core gameplay, it's hardly vastly divorced from Valkyrie Profile (I'd also venture that the core plotline, involving war between heaven and hell, is not entirely unappealing to VP fans...)

I've literally only played a couple of missions so couldn't tell you what the gacha component is like, but technically it's pretty impressive. While my personal preference for mobile games is pixel art (less battery draining and more nostalgic!), the quality here is excellent - it also runs very smoothly on my phone (unlike some of the Youtube footage you might have found).

So there is potential here for something at least technically and mechanically interesting.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
In the gacha thread someone mentioned that Tri-Ace have recently released a game called Heaven X Inferno. I thought people might be interested in what it looks like:

559000002325101.JPEG

You attack by tapping the character portraits and there's a gauge of how many moves you can do. Character attacks can juggle or smash enemies up and down (there are three planes of fighting with different status effects on each plane), and although I haven't activated one yet there are Divine Assault-esque limit break attacks. In terms of the core gameplay, it's hardly vastly divorced from Valkyrie Profile (I'd also venture that the core plotline, involving war between heaven and hell, is not entirely unappealing to VP fans...)

I've literally only played a couple of missions so couldn't tell you what the gacha component is like, but technically it's pretty impressive. While my personal preference for mobile games is pixel art (less battery draining and more nostalgic!), the quality here is excellent - it also runs very smoothly on my phone (unlike some of the Youtube footage you might have found).

So there is potential here for something at least technically and mechanically interesting.

that game actually looked quite nice in motion too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00ScPl-ztrg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

559000002325101.JPEG

I've been playing it's very fun, it obviously drains battery but that even my old phone can run it without framerate dipst is very impressive. Music is so good BTW, I like the song that plays when you are in the upper tier of the battle stages, apparently Yuzo Koshiro did the soundtrack.

Only problem is that there's lots of dialog during story scenes and since I can't understand JPN, it sucks. And there's tons of voice work in this.

duckroll

Hahahaha that game looks like a solid battery killer. I never did manage to get a JP Google Play Store account set up. Only have a local one and a US one... so lazy...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Hahahaha that game looks like a solid battery killer. I never did manage to get a JP Google Play Store account set up. Only have a local one and a US one... so lazy...
DL qooapp, it allows you to bypass region lock for apps. It's how I try f2p JP games.

Lime

So when can we reasonably expect news? Next week? Or next month? Despite the fact that I probably won't be able to play it for a long time due to localization (if it even happens), I am pretty curious about what's going to happen

duckroll

DL qooapp, it allows you to bypass region lock for apps. It's how I try f2p JP games.

Oh yeah I used that before. What I didn't like about it was that it wouldn't actually link the apps to the Play Store so I couldn't easily download updates or pay for microtransactions. Lol.

So when can we reasonably expect news? Next week? Or next month? Despite the fact that I probably won't be able to play it for a long time due to localization (if it even happens), I am pretty curious about what's going to happen

We should have information within a month at most. Hype cycles for game services tend to be short.

The OP had no idea that it was going to be possibly mobile. He just posted the news.

I know.

People still are whining about mobile existing, console gaming being dead, and how the IP is being treated. That detracts from the overall discussion. People could barely talk about the game without seven posts whining about it being on mobile. It's hard to actually have a conversation about the topic at hand when people post disinterest and leave. It's not even attempting to have a conversation, it's just shitposting and complaining.

At some level, it overrides the talk, and it's no longer about what this game could be, but isn't.

So how about a little understanding for those who actually want to talk about the game? You can express disinterest in other topics and not derail the thread that way.

I understand, and that's why I myself keep my disappointment to myself and move on. But for those that don't, there really are better ways to educate why they shouldn't do that (they way you just did it was perfectly fine) than simply calling them "losers". The latter accomplishes nothing but enmity.

And are people really complaining about SE's output? Star Ocean 5 is about to be released stateside, they just had Exist Archive in Japan, FF15 is coming out this year, we are getting a sequel to Nier published by SE, and I Am Setsuna is coming stateside. None of those games are remakes.

I was talking about their mobile games, obviously. The fact that your list of promising games includes precisely zero of their mobile games kind of proves my point. :)

mao2

Looks like we'll be getting the first trailer tomorrow.
https://twitter.com/VP_yamagishi/status/720224409210859520
山岸です。準備が整ったので、明日、映像の第一弾を公開します。 今作の話は「VP1」より前なんだよねー。 #VALKYRIEANATOMIA #ヴァルキリーアナトミア

Lime

It's interesting to note that Star Ocean 5 was announced on April 14/15 last year, exactly one year ago when the trailer is released.

duckroll

I bet this "first PV" is going to be an image trailer with zero game footage. Music, artwork, backgrounds, lots of Japanese text overlays, and a logo.

The fact that the game--assuming it is a game--takes place somewhere chronologically is encouraging to me in that there might be some story elements rather than it be a universe mashup/best-of gacha game.

Ideally, I wouldn't mind seeing small, contained
soul-crushingly depressing
"stories" of einherjar more akin to what we'd see in VP1, where combat can still be pretty simplistic and mobile-friendly. But I don't really have faith.

Lime

The fact that the game--assuming it is a game--takes place somewhere chronologically is encouraging to me in that there might be some story elements rather than it be a universe mashup/best-of gacha game.

Ideally, I wouldn't mind seeing small, contained
soul-crushingly depressing
"stories" of einherjar more akin to what we'd see in VP1, where combat can still be pretty simplistic and mobile-friendly. But I don't really have faith.

I think there's an inherent conflict between Einherjar as deep and fleshed out characters (quantitative) and superficial Einherjar produced én masse by procedural game system (quantitative).

The aspect of economics decide which of these design philosophies will be emphasized. There's no doubt that the quantitative approach is cheaper to make and earns more money, so unless this game will stray from the norm, I expect Einherjar to be a dime-a-dozen without much unique characterization.

We are definitely not getting this level of characterization (I expect):

14-pf8zbm9onspf.gif

"Are you just a blade of grass to be blown in the wind?"

Lime

Oh man today is going to go by so slowlyyyyyy

Play VP1 or VP2 if you can :p

Or you can look at the second-week Japan sales of SO5 in the Media Create thread and despair about any future console JRPG by tri-ace funded by SE. The pain helps with the passage of time :lol

Lime

I talked with some a friend of mine and she said that SE are prone to close their servers with their mobile games. Do their mobile games usually rely on servers to being played? And do they really have a track record of shutting down their servers for their mobile games after some time?

depward

Play VP1 or VP2 if you can :p

Or you can look at the second-week Japan sales of SO5 in the Media Create thread and despair about any future console JRPG by tri-ace funded by SE. The pain helps with the passage of time :lol

I would be. But my backwards compat PS3 broke two weeks ago :'(

Lime

I would be. But my backwards compat PS3 broke two weeks ago :'(

If you have your copy lying around, you can always emulate it on your PC if it's good enough. For VP1, ePSXe shouldn't be too demanding, I think, and can be played with either keyboard or a controller.

poncle

If you have your copy lying around, you can always emulate it on your PC if it's good enough. For VP1, ePSXe shouldn't be too demanding, I think, and can be played with either keyboard or a controller.

If you don't have your original PSOne copy instead, you can easily grab one from ebay for just $1,399.99

Used PSOne copies still go for at least $100, which is still less convenient than buying a new PSP with the game.

Lime

My kingdom for an announcement of VP1 on PSN.

Putting several million dollars into SO5 didn't prompt Square Enix to put the earlier Star Ocean games on PSN (at least internationally - only SO2:SE was released on JPN for PS4/Vita)

If you don't have your original PSOne copy instead, you can easily grab one from ebay for just $1,399.99

Used PSOne copies still go for at least $100, which is still less convenient than buying a new PSP with the game.

That's true. If you can't find a cheap PS1 copy, you can also just use PPSSPP (PSP emulator) to emulate your PSP copy. To get the iso from the UMD is quite cumbersome though (homebrewed PSP -> rip it to your memory stick -> transfer the iso from the memory stick to your PC)

Shouta

Oh yeah I used that before. What I didn't like about it was that it wouldn't actually link the apps to the Play Store so I couldn't easily download updates or pay for microtransactions. Lol.

We should have information within a month at most. Hype cycles for game services tend to be short.

You can easily make a JP Google account, just set it to JP when you create it. The issue though is that you can't access the JP store without your device showing up with a JP IP.

You do have to be careful with how you pay for microtransactions though because it can lock the account out of the JP store lol.

Lime

Yup, there is it. I hope the game is good for Japanese mobile players, and I'm now just looking forward to the art, music, and perhaps the gameplay if it's sufficiently interesting and localized.

I just wish Square Enix would put the old games up on PSN at least, so us non-mobile players have something as well, by playing them on Vita or PS4.

koutoru

I'll wait for gameplay before making a judgement call. SE is actually one of the few companies I trust when it comes to making mobile JRPGs.

Lime

I wonder if puzzles and/or platforming will even be part of this when it's a mobile title. I expect not?

EDIT: Yamagashi tweeted this (bing translated):

We also asked Sakuraba's music. I ask because I want to hear all but first of all, today published video song, advance in the listen. By simply listening to music again, cry, and #VALKYRIEANATOMIA #ヴァルキリーアナトミア

YAMAGISHI is. Has released the video footage. By the way has produced visual works right to.

So Visual Works is involved with the trailer/video footage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom