• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teens react to The Last of Us

T.O.P

Banned
I LOVED the game and i still do

But i felt absolutely nothing at the opening scene, i got emotionally attached to the characters later in the game but right at the start it happened way too fast to even care about it lol

I LOVE watching LoU reactions.

I still cringe at the expected Sarah scene.

I hope they continue the full playthrough. Some of them seemed into it, though they some of them can't seem to be able to move the character in third person well lol

Seeing it so many times again, I just think Naughty Dog did an incredible job of showing Sarah dead. She just looks so incredibly lifeless and pale, like her soul had left her.

The animation is so good too, I'm glad to see people's reactions to the game be that of "it looks like a movie". It really bridges the gap between those kinds of casual players and those looking for gameplay, because the gameplay is pretty swell as well.

I was never high on Uncharted's "cinematic game" experience, but LoU's gameplay and cinematics were like PB&J.

I got more choked up watching that than I did when I first played the game.

I knew/made a assumption Sarah wouldn't make it through the prologue what with her not being Ellie (that and a friend had told me the opening blew him away and that too was a kind of hint as to what would happen) and so her death while sad had no real emotional impact on me
. I grew to hate that the more I played the game.

Watching that React video kind of made up for it.

N30RYU

the best intro of all time... how ND manage to grow the characters on us with just the watch present as the whole father-daughter relationship, then controling Joel's daughter a few moments to show her weakness, to then move to control of Joel protecting just to lose her is AMAZING.

And I should add that the best closure (not ending) of a game to me is Journey's credits revisiting all the areas.

DevilFox

I must be a monster because I didn't feel anything. 15 minutes are not enough to me to care about something in this world, these things take time and with time I mean a good hour of gameplay. It works as a prolog but don't ask me to feel emotionally involved.

I always thought the point of "x" react to videos were to have fun watching kids/teens interact with old media/Tech (or new for seniors)

This strikes me as an odd choice, I mean what's next "teens react to latest batman movie"?

Good on ND though, the game really stirs peoples emotions.

I just do not understand the stuff people cry at (or pretend to). The introductory TLoU cutscene shown was about the same lacklustre standard of direction and writing these games always come up with, riddled with clichés, obnoxiously unsubtle design choices to force players in a certain direction, appallingly bad use of the camera (in the non-player controlled segments) and 'big' moments dependent entirely on flash rather than substance to elicit a reaction. Only thing that's improved is the graphics - terrible shadows aside - and the voice acting, which was pretty good considering what the actors had to work with. I'm sure the actual game is as groundbreaking and magnificent as everyone claims it to be - haven't played it, obviously - but it's inconceivable how anyone could hold up that introduction for anything other than its failure to master even the most rudimentary building blocks of storytelling.
lol, what a terrible, terrible opinion.

Nameless

Some of these replies are hilarious. They would probably need to start a 'People react to pointless PC vs Console comparisons of games" series for a large chunk of GAF to actually give a shit.

Javin98

Banned
Good grief. Half of the posters in this thread are feeling so salty when the thread title is about TLOU. I'm willing to bet most of them have not even played the game and don't even own a PS3/PS4. The fact that I've never seen them in TLOU OT and hype thread proves my point. Well, I guess when ND is the best developer in the business, some people are going to hate them just because of pure jealousy.

73V3N

Banned
Good grief. Half of the posters in this thread are feeling so salty when the thread title is about TLOU. I'm willing to bet most of them have not even played the game and don't even own a PS3/PS4. The fact that I've never seen them in TLOU OT and hype thread proves my point. Well, I guess when ND is the best developer in the business, some people are going to hate them just because of pure jealousy.

I feel like i'm reading the thoughts of a justin bieber fan

I just do not understand the stuff people cry at (or pretend to). The introductory TLoU cutscene shown was about the same lacklustre standard of direction and writing these games always come up with, riddled with clichés, obnoxiously unsubtle design choices to force players in a certain direction, appallingly bad use of the camera (in the non-player controlled segments) and 'big' moments dependent entirely on flash rather than substance to elicit a reaction. Only thing that's improved is the graphics - terrible shadows aside - and the voice acting, which was pretty good considering what the actors had to work with. I'm sure the actual game is as groundbreaking and magnificent as everyone claims it to be - haven't played it, obviously - but it's inconceivable how anyone could hold up that introduction for anything other than its failure to master even the most rudimentary building blocks of storytelling.

smfh

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but this makes me want to stick a pen in my throat and slowly release myself from this world so I never have to read something like this ever again.

TheHall

Man, i've played through that intro 5-6 times and it was always a rough part, but now i have a daughter and watching it again fucking killed me.

This game man....

Reule

Good reaction video. First time I played the game the intro had me bawling like a baby up until you take control again. I still have my heart sink because of the delivery of that scene. Such an amazing game, will never get over it.

Not sure if anyone is interested but Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg played the intro way back when it first released on the PS3. If you're in the mood for Rogen's laugh, check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9U_sXsKAg

shandy706

I expected his daughter to die, I figured that out like 2 minutes in. She wasn't featured as a main character in anything I had seen prior to playing the game, so I knew it would happen.

Because of this, it didn't bother me as I was like "..aaaand there it is." Too predictable.

I have the same problem with figuring out movies 20 minutes in too though, bleh.

Edit** That entire intro though, was pretty freaking cool. I spent forever just looking at all the details in the house. Also, being able to move around in the car and look at things was neat.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Which posters are you specifically referring to? TLOU OT was two yers ago and the most recent one had a ton of pages. Were you marking each and every user down or?

"I sell hardcore drugs"

Dat Naughty Dog writing.
You didn't really take that line at face value did you?

Fun little video.

It's so fake. You have to be alone playing this game or at the very minimum left to play it, instead of giving your opinion to a camera knowing your being filmed.
Lol what? No you don't. There are no rules for playing the last of us to get maximum enjoyment out of it. Also, LPs are a thing.
Ffstv-TheLastOfUsIsAWESOME615-547.jpg

Javin98

Banned
Which posters are you specifically referring to? TLOU OT was two yers ago and the most recent one had a ton of pages. Were you marking each and every user down or?
Dude, just looking at these posts, you can tell who actually played the game or not. I don't think I need to specify the posters. Whichever posts that give you a headache reading are the ones I'm referring to

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
this thread is juicy
Yea can't say i've ever seen so much contempt for such a simple concept.

Dude, just looking at these posts, you can tell who actually played the game or not. I don't think I need to specify the posters. Whichever posts that give you a headache reading are the ones I'm referring to
Can you really? Especially when making blanket statements like "you can tell they don't even own a ps3/ps4." Frankly I see one dissenter who specifically states that they haven't played the game.

Perfect intro to one of the best games of all time.

Funny to me that even the smart-ass kids (the blonde girl in particular) were pretty much speechless at the end.

You didn't really take that line at face value did you?
First of all that is an incredibly dangerous profession. Little girl doing that? Just to buy his father an expensive clock? Yeah right. Who does that?

Joel is a failure of a father. Why isn't this brought up at any point in the game?

smh shit doesn't make any sense

TheHall

First of all that is an incredibly dangerous profession. Little girl doing that? Just to buy his father an expensive clock? Yeah right. Who does that?

Joel is a failure of a father. Why isn't this brought up any point in the game?

xyrK76V.gif

I'm feeling the same way as well. It is a well done scene but, I don't know, watching these teens react to it made me realize that I never had the same emotional reaction at all. Now I'm sounding like a bitter empty person.

Also TLOU is an exclusive so I'd imagine Xbox, Nintendo, and some PC fanboys wouldn't say nice things about it.

I was expecting a stronger reaction tbh. I shed a tear or too.

I swear someone was cutting onions in my house though.

The game opens with this nonsense. It's ham-fisted as fuck. OMG IM BEING SO EMOTIONAL!!! CAREEEE ABOOOOOUT MEEEEEEEEEEE!

lolwut?

If someone ends their sentence with a :p <<<, then they're most likely joking.

And congratulations on being 2edgy4TLoU.

Why are there always a handful of people who turn up in threads about things that are very popular, whose sole purpose is to explain why said thing is crap and to act like they're so 'above' such entertainment? Shit's annoying.

'Oh look at me, I'm so deep and edgy, what is this mainstream piece of crap you guys are talking about? Oh, The Last of Us? Much hamfist, very cliche, such tropes!'.

Joel is a failure of a father. Why isn't this brought up at any point in the game?

lol

can smell the sarcasm from here

sadly these forums make you suspicious even when its so obvious

kgtrep

I don't usually like these videos, but I had to make an exception for The Last of Us. The scene still gets me; I think it's quite a feat that one can be made to care about new characters in such a short period of time. I couldn't imagine a better intro for this game.

I would love to see "GAF react to...." series, where they randomly pick GAF members.

GAF react to Pewdiepie

GAF react to Game of War

must be pure gold.

73V3N

Banned
If someone ends their sentence with a :p <<<, then they're most likely joking.

And congratulations on being 2edgy4TLoU.

Why are there always a handful of people who turn up in threads about things that are very popular, whose sole purpose is to explain why said thing is crap and to act like they're so 'above' such entertainment? Shit's annoying.

'Oh look at me, I'm so deep and edgy, what is this mainstream piece of crap you guys are talking about? Oh, The Last of Us? Much hamfist, very cliche, such tropes!'.

image.php

Top Bottom