• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teens react to The Last of Us

Took longer than expected

Am I completely wrong? Last of Us was never supposed to be about ground breaking game-design, Naughty Dog is not Platinum or FROM Software who excel at engaging and brutal gameplay that we enjoy so much. Naughty Dog has always sold their games as cinematic experiences that are almost as good as movies. Honestly in that respect, Last Of Us is a lot better at storytelling and emotion than a lot of Hollywood shlock these days. Non-Gamers won't or can't see the appeal of Revengeance or say Dark Souls but they will definitely get and appreciate what Last of Us tries to do and frankly excels at. The heart and emotion may be CW grade but it's a lot better than most games and some movies.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
First of all that is an incredibly dangerous profession. Little girl doing that? Just to buy his father an expensive clock? Yeah right. Who does that?

Joel is a failure of a father. Why isn't this brought up at any point in the game?

smh shit doesn't make any sense
Ok i'm clearly being trolled.

image.php

I see you've declined to elect a proper reply. It's what happens when pseudo-intelligent posters run out of drivel.

SmokyDave

I expected his daughter to die, I figured that out like 2 minutes in. She wasn't featured as a main character in anything I had seen prior to playing the game, so I knew it would happen.

Because of this, it didn't bother me as I was like "..aaaand there it is." Too predictable.
I knew she'd die, but it was the way she died and the screams of the voice actor that really tugged at the heart-strings. Well, they were the most obvious things anyway. I'm sure the music, camera angles, and various other tomfoolery were acting on me subconciously. I just thought it was an extremely well realised scene, even if it wasn't a big surprise.

As a father that scene always makes me tear up. I'm not a emotional person at all, but that scene gets me every time.
Yeah, first time through my missus was pregnant. Second time through I actually had a daughter. Certainly helped me 'get into' things.

Dazza

Great reactions to a great game, makes me realise how well they did the father child relationship even from the kids perspective with how these teens related to it. I don't think any other game even comes close to TLOU for its emotional impact, completely different ballpark. Even when Seth and Evan were playing it you could see the emotion they were feeling even they were trying to be funny.

73V3N

Banned
I see you've declined to elect a proper reply. It's what happens when pseudo-intelligent posters run out of drivel.

I thought the ones that didn't like TLoU were the salty ones?
weird.

I just feel those:

"if you don't like TLOU, you are wrong!!/you didn't play it/you don't have a PS3/PS4"

don't make any sense, not every one has to like the same things you do.

I knew she'd die, but it was the way she died and the screams of the voice actor that really tugged at the heart-strings. Well, they were the most obvious things anyway. I'm sure the music, camera angles, and various other tomfoolery were acting on me subconciously. I just thought it was an extremely well realised scene, even if it wasn't a big surprise.

Yeah, first time through my missus was pregnant. Second time through I actually had a daughter. Certainly helped me 'get into' things.

Exactly, the voice acting and motion capture really sells it.
Honestly I hope the people harping on TLOU for being "try-hard" did not cry when Aeris died
It seems to have a greater effect on parents, my friend is a father of a young girl not much older than Sarah and it really made him upset.

I thought the ones that didn't like TLoU were the salty ones?
weird.

I just feel those:

"if you don't like TLOU, you are wrong!!/you didn't play it/you don't have a PS3/PS4"

don't make any sense, not every one has to like the same things you do.

Who said any of these things? Did you avatar quote me based on something I didn't say?

That's even lamer.

Nah, it's been like this since it was clear the game was pretty fucking good. Gotta be a contrarian.

You'll note the bit where the cat says he hasn't actually played it. That's a common theme.

Not everyone who disagrees is a contrarian, I've tried very hard to like the story and be emotionally invested in TLoU but it just doesn't work. I love the multiplayer, I appreciate the slower pace.

I'm probably a little less easily moved than average but I've shed buckets to classical music & really moving scenes in movies etc. So, please don't just dismiss it him out of hand.

You're really trying to pass all that if as "jk" now? Wow

It's what people like that always do when they're in those situations.They back themselves into a corner with their silly comments, and then attempt to dig themselves out of it and spin it around onto everyone else by saying "only joking, guys! Jeez, can't you all take a joke!?".

XD

73V3N

Banned
You're really trying to pass all that if as "jk" now? Wow

it's just an avatar quote, how is that not a joke? i don't get it.

is it offensive to avatar quote now?

It's what people like that always do when they're in those situations.They back themselves into a corner with their silly comments, and then attempt to dig themselves out of it and spin it around onto everyone else by saying "only joking, guys! Jeez, can't you all take a joke!?".

XD

i don't get it.

what's silly about thinking everyone can like different things?

you getting offended cause i avatar quoted you is something else "XD"

That's such a well constructed opening to a game. The cutscene with that incredible tune, the cut to title, then the credits / music / voiceovers. It's really good.

That's such a well constructed opening to a game. The cutscene with that incredible tune, the cut to title, then the credits / music / voiceovers. It's really good.

yeah, been gaming for 25 or so years now and cannot recall an opening to a game that was that powerful

shandy706

I have two daughters myself. Scenes where children are in pain, or lose a loved one, tend to get to me. I think I was simply prepared for this one.

Watching kids go through losing a parent, along with that parents father, in Lost Odyssey tore me up. Parts of that game were janky, but that Lirum scene was rough.

For those that haven't played it, or want to see that scene...http://youtu.be/qlmIBB84XQk?t=5m52s

Tech has come a ways since then, but I remember I took a break after that scene.

The kids screaming "Mommy wake up!!"...eesh.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Who said any of these things? Did you avatar quote me based on something I didn't say?

That's even lamer.
Actually a poster did say something that ridiculous.

Good grief. Half of the posters in this thread are feeling so salty when the thread title is about TLOU. I'm willing to bet most of them have not even played the game and don't even own a PS3/PS4. The fact that I've never seen them in TLOU OT and hype thread proves my point. Well, I guess when ND is the best developer in the business, some people are going to hate them just because of pure jealousy.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
People crying at this is hilarious. Shit is everyday. I cried playing a game a few days ago. Lost a 70 minute DOTA 2 match and sobbed real tears of heartbreak. Way more emotion than something like The Last of Us can muster.

UrbanRats

You're really trying to pass all that off as "jk" now? Wow
avatar quotes usually are in jest, actually.

XD

Y'all should chill the fuck down, people, it's really weird to see you get so defensive about a game that got pretty much 10/10 and GOTY/GOTG across the spectrum, because a couple of random people didn't like it.
So what? They're entitled to the opinion and they have the right to come in LoU threads and express it.

The idea that threads should only be about circle jerking is so pathetic, for a discussion board like NeGAF is..

Flappy

Banned
Are these videos paid advertisements now? Because it's starting to feel that way.

They used to do old things, but now it's suddenly games you can buy now at your local store.

Fbh

Damn, this has made me want to replay the game once more.
But I guess I'll just wait until I find a good deal on the Ps4 remaster.

I remember half my family tearing up when I showed them the intro. It's one of the few games they later showed interest in ("so did you finish that game with the girl and his dad?", "what happened next?", etc)

Jito

Banned
Yeah, was going to quote this too. Anyone can make the intro to this game and make some people cry. Doesn't make the game a "masterpiece"

"Huh anyone could have made it" Well where are all these other games with such gripping emotional intros? Or even gripping emotional stories throughout the game? I'll wait.

Good video, like seeing people react to things they've never played, especially people who don't play many games.

Edit: On further reading, so much fucking salt in this thread, it's so pathetic.

y2dvd

I didn't read through this thread in fear of spoilers but my brother made me play up to the same point these teens did and my reactions were just about the same except I think I choked up more lol.

JP

Can't believe I'm actually saying this but I'm looking forward to Teens React to The Last of Us 2 although they'd really need to let them play through the whole game to get them really involved.

They should really do a Teens React to The Teens React to The Last of Us GAF Thread video. That would make them cry!

hrnh2gzgudd.gif

IT: That was one of the best intro ever imho. It hits you like a punch in the face, even if you knew from the beginning that something bad was going to happen

this doesn't make any sense either. just because it evokes emotions doesn't mean it's a masterpiece (and some people cry at anything), it may be a masterpiece(arguable) for other reasons but making people cry is a pretty low bar to set.

I won't say that making people cry automatically makes your game a masterpiece, but think about all the games you've played in your life with stories that TRY to make you cry

How many succeeded, how many even came close?

To make people care enough to feel so strongly over polygons and voice acting shouldn't be disregarded so quickly. Especially in the video game industry, which is why TLoU gets a lot of praise.

I have two daughters myself. Scenes where children are in pain, or lose a loved one, tend to get to me. I think I was simply prepared for this one.

Watching kids go through losing a parent, along with that parents father, in Lost Odyssey tore me up. Parts of that game were janky, but that Lirum scene was rough.

For those that haven't played it, or want to see that scene...http://youtu.be/qlmIBB84XQk?t=5m52s

Tech has come a ways since then, but I remember I took a break after that scene.

The kids screaming "Mommy wake up!!"...eesh.

Just reading the short stories in that game brought me to tears sometimes. That was a good game.

I love watching Let's Plays on games I will probably never have the time to experience myself, and similarly when I do experience something it's kind of cool to see how someone would handle it from a different upbringing/generation/light. I don't take it too seriously, it's just goofy internet videos anyway.

Is it that people feel exploited emotionally by these kinds of videos or is it that it's so not up your alley that you're just weighing in to say so? Or is it really that it just feels (or maybe it? idk) staged?

TalonJH

"I wouldve curb stomped him and told Tommy to save his bullets"

Sure you would have, yeah i had trouble watching that video. However, its a very heavy scene at the end, i dropped the controller.

Edit: oh shit im a member now

Congrats.

Yeah, I have to watch this but YouTube is blocked at work.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
It's so wrong but I was chuckling at their horrified reactions.
Honestly between this and the mk Conan video I'm surprised at how emotional people get when playing games.

Maybe I'm just desensitized idk.

Bricky

Fun to hear the opinion from people not way into gaming, but these are the least compelling of the React videos. (Part of the) target audience reacting as expected? Who knew? Elders/Kids react usually offers a more interesting perspective on stuff.

People crying at this is hilarious. Shit is everyday. I cried playing a game a few days ago. Lost a 70 minute DOTA 2 match and sobbed real tears of heartbreak. Way more emotion than something like The Last of Us can muster.

Apples and oranges (if you were trying to make a serious comparison). This is like comparing crying about a book to crying about a match of sport. Just because you're more passionate about the latter doesn't mean it is comparable to a game that makes people tear up by design.

Some people choke up more easily than others when an emotional scene happens in a book/movie/game. Perhaps you don't, but calling it 'hilarious' is a bit dismissive (in the case of TLOU the opening is clearly having its intended effect on the majority of players).

I think crying at losing a 70 minute DOTA 2 match is hilarious. It's completely subjective.

Wait, is this a serious post? Hmmm. I find it hard to tell on here sometimes.

DarkKyo

I really hope you're joking. As a long time Dota player myself that is just pathetic.

Top Bottom