• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 6 no longer Ps3 exclusive, coming to 360 Fall 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Developers should stop trying on PS3, right?

It's like my analogy from yesterday in that TR:UW thread. "Theatre Z had a poor turnout for the dark knight. Let's just send them copy paper with our upcoming titles drawn out in crayon instead of bothering to send our full-sized official movie posters to advertise our new movies. Not as many people go. Plus our drivers have a hard time getting to that theatre. the hill is too steep".

I didn't say developers should stop trying on the PS3. You're just being overly defensive.

But yeah, your analogy is not as clever as you may think.

Mr Jared

This is actually a win-win for everyone.

It's a win for your average gamer because hey, fighters stretching across platforms is always a good thing.

It's a win for PS3 fanboys because I've got to level with you folks ... You wouldn't want to take "credit" for this one :lol It has a special nickname up here in NorCal that isn't particularly flattering.

Trash 6. Seriously, after T5DR, there was no point in them making this.

Haunted

OldJadedGamer said:
Wait... so what is the news here? A game that was never announced as a PS3 exclusive is now coming out for 360... I don't get it. Doesn't a game have to be announced exclusive before it can lose it's exclusivity?

tekken-advance-gba.440978.jpg
That game was horrible.

icecream said:
In this specific case it makes less sense since they're not developing from the ground up for both platforms.

It's likely they'll have to put sgnificantly more effort in a 360 port than a PS3 version in return for sales which may not be equal. Tekken is not as mainsteam as SCIV, so the multiplatform strategy might not pay off this time.

I was under the impression that it wasn't too taxing for developers to port PS3 software to 360. Titles with PS3 as the main development platform seem to run well enough on 360. Then again, I'm no developer so this is purely baseless specualtion :lol

I guess it's something Namco must have considered (cost/return) and determined that the porting cost was worth it. We'll see if it will ultimately pay off for them- but I was under the impression that Tekken was somewhat more popular than Soul Calibur (again, baseless)

TTP said:
All the first and second party titles. Same as with the Microsoft platform.

But you can kinda see where's coming from.

MS has stolen a lot of games that were known as Sony staples. 3rd party or not, they were always considered Sony games and the thought of them being on another console was considered ludicrous and sacreligious.

VF5, DMC4, AC6, Katamari, FF13, GTA4, Tales of, Star Ocean, Tekken, Soul Calibur (to an extent) and I'm sure there's a couple I'm forgetting.

It's a pretty long list you have to admit.

But of course, there's a COUPLE on the other end, but most not of the calibre of the above titles.

Bioshock, Eternal Sonata and Lost Planet.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Flavius said:
Right now, there are a half dozen Sony-paid private investigators watching Ted Price's every move.

How much longer can he resist heading off into uncharted waters?

Uhhhhhhhh....and....uhhhhhhh...will he bring a ratchet? Or drop it and let it clan--...fuck it. :D
Dont man! Dont even say that, if WE lose Insomniac... we are lost!! :D

Ten-Song said:
Doesn't matter which system you start out developing on, the cost of development these days pretty much just demands for a publisher to be multiplatform.

Really? So, when is Ace Combat 6, Dead Rising, Bullet Witch, Katamari, Dead or Alive 4, DOAXBV, Ninja Gaiden 2, Prey, Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean 4 coming to PS3? I must of missed the release dates.

StuBurns

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:

MS has stolen a lot of games that were known as Sony staples. 3rd party or not, they were always considered Sony games and the thought of them being on another console was considered ludicrous and sacreligious.

VF5, DMC4, AC6, Katamari, FF13, GTA4, Tales of, Star Ocean, Tekken, Soul Calibur (to an extent) and I'm sure there's a couple I'm forgetting.

But of course, there's a COUPLE on the other end, but most not of the calibre of the above titles.

Stolen?

People have gone multiplatform because PS3 development is expensive and the install base isn't substantial.

Flavius

cjelly said:
Fuck Peter Moore. At least Mattrick gets shit done.

Fuck that.

Peter Moore smooth talked the ladies. Sometimes he scored, sometimes he struck out.

Mattrick watched Peter at the clubs and decided it was better to drive down that back alley and pay the crackwhore quadruple her going rate.

CurseoftheGods said:
I didn't say developers should stop trying on the PS3. You're just being overly defensive.

But yeah, your analogy is not as clever as you may think.

I wasn't meaning to take it out on you. It's my bitterness at the industry because my analogy IS their mindset. Sad.

Ten-Song

Rhazer Fusion said:
Really? So, when is Ace Combat 6, Dead Rising, Bullet Witch, Katamari, Dead or Alive 4, DOAXBV, Ninja Gaiden 2, Prey, Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean 4 coming to PS3? I must of missed the release dates.

I already addressed AC6 and Katamari, Dead Rising is getting a Wii port, (however horrible it may be) Ninja Gaiden 2 was published by Microsoft, so that rules out any port, and Prey was built as a PC game.

I'm not saying third party exclusives CAN'T happen, I'm just saying there's almost no reason to be shocked when once platform exclusive titles start jumping ship these days. Now it's more shocking to see third party games stay on a single platform.

Dre

Flavius said:
Fuck that.

Peter Moore smooth talked the ladies. Sometimes he scored, sometimes he struck out.

Mattrick watched Peter at the clubs and decided it was better to drive down that back alley and pay the crackwhore quadruple her going rate.

:lol

Beezy

Y2Kev said:
If the "cultural expert" thing was ever funny, it has been dragged through every potential "OMG FANBOY MELTDOWN!!!" thread so many times that it's missing teeth, has wrinkly skin, and offers to blow you for $2 when it can sit upright.

38YearsOld.jpg

Mahadev

2 Minutes Turkish said:

It's not stolen. This was inevitable with rising development costs and userbase. The two consoles aren't first in sales but they maintain the huge chunk of third party support because the developers make profits when they release games in both platforms.

So to sum up next generation console owners win, Wii-only owners lose.

Nakazato

Rhazer Fusion said:
I wish Bullet Witch on no one

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Rhazer Fusion said:

YES WHEN!!!??? PLEASE TELL ME! :lol

2 Minutes Turkish said:
You don't count Bioshock and Eternal Sonata as some sort of Betrayal?

Obviously not on the scale that we've seen the other way, but still SOMETHING.

Well, they are very late ports. If the games were ported to both consoles on the same day, that would of been an entirely different situation.

joey_z

Banned
As a pretty huge Tekken fan I'm pretty fucking happy. I really did think Sony would hold on to this and would have gone for (what would probably by then be a really cheap) ps3 next fall for it's release.

No one seems surprised. I guess in hindsight it was somewhat expected. Personally I felt Sony had already moneyhatted an exclusivity for this game. Was I naive for thinking so after it lost so many important franchises?

icecream said:
In this specific case it makes less sense since they're not developing from the ground up for both platforms.

It's likely they'll have to put sgnificantly more effort in a 360 port than a PS3 version in return for sales which may not be equal. Tekken is not as mainsteam as SCIV, so the multiplatform strategy might not pay off this time.

You can't honestly believe this, the 360 version will outsell the PS3 version at least 2:1 in NA and the UK.

It's time to get past the "built from the ground up for Cell = impossible to port" way of thinking, it hasn't held true for any game not published by Sony.

Rhazer Fusion said:

Hate to be a dick for pointing out the obvious, but the rules change for 3rd place systems. Viewtiful Joe, Killer 7, and RE4 come to PS2, DMC4, RE Outbreak, and Onimusha never returned the favor. Until the PS3 is on absolutely equal footing with the 360 WW, the 3rd party scale will always tip slightly in MS' favor.

CPS2

stuburns said:
Dream on.

Well, maybe PC to 360, even that is really unlikely.

If enough people want stuff (in gaming) it tends to happen. Bitch about the right things dammit :lol

Loudninja

Sho_Nuff82 said:
You can't honestly believe this, the 360 version will outsell the PS3 version at least 2:1 in NA and the UK.

It's time to get past the "built from the ground up for Cell = impossible to port" way of thinking, it hasn't held true for any game not published by Sony.

Yeah sure, its funny you just mention UK and not all of Europe, oh and you left out Japan, I wonder why?

Dante said:
Fall 2009!?!??????

WTF is taking so long, doesn't it basically run on a PS3???

Ive wondered this for a while. Tekken 6 has been running on PS3 hardware for some time yet we heard nothing about the game. I think we probably have our answer now.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I dunno why Sony would ever want to hold onto the Tekken franchise. Not that it's bad (BR will probably fix all the issues people have with vanilla 6), but its just that one game isnt going to turn the tides or anything. The money would be better spent making a brand new 1st party fighting game.

Personally, I don't care about this development, but I would be interested if tag mode made it in. That's the best way to play Tekken, IMO, and it still boggles my mind why they didn't keep it in each successive release after TTT. If it's a RAM/performance issue, then give me simplified stages while in tag mode.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
haunts said:
I dunno why Sony would ever want to hold onto the Tekken franchise. Not that it's bad (BR will probably fix all the issues people have with vanilla 6), but its just that one game isnt going to turn the tides or anything. The money would be better spent making a brand new 1st party fighting game.

Tekken is like the only fighting game that makes money in the arcade. People bought it just so they could go to the arcade later and spend more money..

but it would be classic to see a 989 (I know I know humor me) fighting game...

haunts said:
Tekken games, for reasons well beyond anything I can explain, sell better than most fighting games, especially in North America. It's not a killer app or anything, but it has always been a nice addition to Sony's exclusive lineup. Still, having this exclusive would have been more of a "it would be nice" rather than a "omg we need this" type of exclusive.

_Angelus_

Banned
I always hated the Tekken franchise. I'll try the demo out though just to see if I can get into ithe series this time around Yaknow god bless Microsoft and my sweet decision making, I got the one system i don't have to worry about for all sorts of games though.:)

High Five.

Honolulu

Neo Member
Dante said:
Fall 2009!?!??????

WTF is taking so long, doesn't it basically run on a PS3???

Yes.... but not on the 360 :lol

I'm not really upset if the game is multiplat, I will however get insanely pissed off though if the game is delayed because of the 360 version.
I need mah Tekken-fix ASAP, you here me Scamco! ;(

Also, crossplatform-online matches would be cool. It would be the ultimate showdown between the d-daps :lol

Ten-Song

haunts said:

vwpsg5.jpg

You sure about that?

LowParry

Angelus said:
I always hated the Tekken franchise. I'll try the demo out though just to see if I can get into ithe series this time around Yaknow god bless Microsoft and my sweet decision making, I got the one system i don't have to worry about for all sorts of games though.:)

High Five.

Just go to your local Aracade and try out Tekken 5: DR. You do have arcades right?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Honolulu said:
Yes.... but not on the 360 :lol

I'm not really upset if the game is multiplat, I will however get insanely pissed off though if the game is delayed because of the 360 version.
I need mah Tekken-fix ASAP, you here me Scamco! ;(

Also, crossplatform-online matches would be cool. It would be the ultimate showdown between the d-daps :lol

I play my Fighting games with the analog stick. (The King Of Fighters XI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom