• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

TEKKEN 7 (PC) Input & Network Delay Analysis

1YmdXwu.png
Input delay was fixed on the last update, wasn't it?
The change according to @noodalls was negligible, I didn't feel any difference myself.

If you don't want to go through lengthy tutorials you gotta play mirror matches with someone who is better than you. Take attention on what he does, when and why. Look what setups he uses, what moves give him the best payoff, what juggles he uses, note how he punishes you. Learn from all of that. It doesn't matter how bad you lose, it's like reading a book, an instruction. You do it to get better later. Don't be obsessed with ranks.

Knowledge gain from losing is generally much higher then from winning. If one steamrolls someone he learns nothing new, he's opponent gets tons of information though. The key is if he can see and analyze it for his advantage.

Preach Fox!

If you don't want to go through lengthy tutorials you gotta play mirror matches with someone who is better than you. Take attention on what he does, when and why. Look what setups he uses, what moves give him the best payoff, what juggles he uses, note how he punishes you. Learn from all of that. It doesn't matter how bad you lose, it's like reading a book, an instruction. You do it to get better later. Don't be obsessed with ranks.

Knowledge gain from losing is generally much higher then from winning. If one steamrolls someone he learns nothing new, he's opponent gets tons of information though. The key is if he can see and analyze it for his advantage.

I play against Lings every chance I get. I don't learn anything from them because I usually beat them. When I don't, it's because I was overaggressive and would eat a SS+3 juggle, or a Rage Art when trying to finish them.

They don't do anything fancy like b+2, (2) fakes into RDS or ff+1,2 (b) cancel into RDS (or AOP+1,2 cancels) to get throws. They mostly ff+3 and follow-up with d+3,4 to whittle away with lows. In fact, I can't remember the last I've played that uses AOP.

In my span of ~375 wins, I've played ONE Ling who was unquestionably better. she made great use of D,d/f 1,2. which reminded me that I was using neither that nor her D, d/f 4,4 lows at walls, especially the former which can go into RDS at the end. She also taught me the 4~3 CH juggle when followed by ws+2 (which also works with CH ss+4 if you're not at the edge of her foot). IIRC, she also taught me that if you don't quick recover from CH u/f+3+4, ling gets a free 4~3.

I never saw her again. That Ling is probably 2-3 tiers (not ranks, but tiers) higher than me by now.

I play against Lings every chance I get. I don't learn anything from them because I usually beat them. When I don't, it's because I was overaggressive and would eat a SS+3 juggle, or a Rage Art when trying to finish them.

They don't do anything fancy like b+2, (2) fakes into RDS or ff+1,2 (b) cancel into RDS (or AOP+1,2 cancels) to get throws. They mostly ff+3 and follow-up with d+3,4 to whittle away with lows. In fact, I can't remember the last I've played that uses AOP.

In my span of ~375 wins, I've played ONE Ling who was unquestionably better. she made great use of D,d/f 1,2. which reminded me that I was using neither that nor her D, d/f 4,4 lows at walls, especially the former which can go into RDS at the end. She also taught me the 4~3 CH juggle when followed by ws+2 (which also works with CH ss+4 if you're not at the edge of her foot). IIRC, she also taught me that if you don't quick recover from CH u/f+3+4, ling gets a free 4~3.

I never saw her again. That Ling is probably 2-3 tiers (not ranks, but tiers) higher than me by now.
Xiaoyu players online are unfortunately like Law players. The ones that actually play the character and not just spam SS+3/Dragon Tail over and over are pretty rare. I am open to Xiaoyu mirrors if you like (or any other Xiao's lurking).

PSN/Steam: NinthPixel

Xiaoyu players online are unfortunately like Law players. The ones that actually play the character and not just spam SS+3/Dragon Tail over and over are pretty rare. I am open to Xiaoyu mirrors if you like (or any other Xiao's lurking).

PSN/Steam: NinthPixel

Cool, I'll add you.

I'm watching the Tekken 7 EVO stream and Tanukana was eliminated in the FIRST ROUND.

If the best Ling player lost that fast, wtf chance do I have?

I'm watching the Tekken 7 EVO stream and Tanukana was eliminated in the FIRST ROUND.

If the best Ling player lost that fast, wtf chance do I have?
Beat by a guilty gear player who's been on Tekken for like a month. A Claudio player hopkicking his way to victory.

Anyway, It was her fault for getting trashed the night before and playing hung over. Lesson learned.

Also. Gotta start somewhere.

Beat by a guilty gear player who's been on Tekken for like a month. A Claudio player hopkicking his way to victory.

Anyway, It was her fault for getting trashed the night before and playing hung over. Lesson learned.

She played hung over? Wtf

Not very professional. I hope she learns from this. Quite a humiliating loss against a newbie player. She's so much more capable. I was looking forward to her run at EVO more than anyone else : (

Embarrassing. Not a good look for many reasons. Competitive gaming. Women in comp gaming....

There were still Ling players left all the way to top 16.

I have been watching the 5 hour video from Day 1. I have an hour left. I have seen 2 Lings. First one could not miss against Law. She hit EVERYTHING, even launches that should have been blocked.

Second Ling played against Katarina. He had no clue and got perfect'd twice.

Ok seen 3 Lings now. This one lost to Feng, but I would love to move in RDS and spin (3+4) like he was. Laterally and side-stepping, instead of toward his opponent.

Any Kazuya players escape the green rankings? What tools are you using? Hellsweeps are great but I feel like the lack of a strong low with juggle and wall carry is forcing me to play defense at a higher level than I'm currently capable.

Stick with other characters for a while. I've been playing around with King and having a lot of fun with it.

I used to play with everyone a little bit when I was in college and had friends with whom I could play versus mode. I used to do this " World Tour" thing where I would play with every character in the game once, and my friends could play with whoever they wanted. Whatever the record was by the time I had chosen the last character, the winner got a prize like dinner or something.

That was Tekken 4 and 5.

Can't really do "World Tour" online.

I guess I could hate-play the rest of the roster up to Brawler. I liked Lei, but he is not in this game. I played King to do throws, but on PC, they are broken a lot.

Any Kazuya players escape the green rankings? What tools are you using? Hellsweeps are great but I feel like the lack of a strong low with juggle and wall carry is forcing me to play defense at a higher level than I'm currently capable.

Kazuya requires good defense, so what you're feeling is correct.

I moved to a new city recently, new ISP...etc but the problem is still the same i really don't think it's me especially when other games like IJ2 and SFV are working perfectly fine with me and I did port forwarding like everyone suggested. Also it seems lots of people are facing the same problem from what i read on Reddit.

You have bad internet dude. Just get good internet. The game has it's online issues but match making isn't one of them. No one I know has issues finding games. It's 100% on your end.

Figured out one mistake I was making:

Don't play Tekken 7 via Steam Link. The input delay is atrocious.

That's at least 200 matches I played WRONG.

I also never win the "stand there and do nothing until time runs out" matches because everyone else does more damage at the end.

wrongway

Man, people are way too concerned with their ranks down in newbie town (and probably everywhere else). I mean, I can't say I don't care about rank. I'd like to see mine climb. But I'll eat loss after loss just trying to learn, while practically everyone else bails on me if I win once or twice. At least online is pretty happy now, so I guess it doesn't really matter, but still... :p

Figured out one mistake I was making:

Don't play Tekken 7 via Steam Link. The input delay is atrocious.

That's at least 200 matches I played WRONG.
Lol. Whoopsie daisy.

Man, people are way too concerned with their ranks down in newbie town (and probably everywhere else). I mean, I can't say I don't care about rank. I'd like to see mine climb. But I'll eat loss after loss just trying to learn, while practically everyone else bails on me if I win once or twice. At least online is pretty happy now, so I guess it doesn't really matter, but still... :p

Lol. Whoopsie daisy.

Well look at it.

tekken-7-ranking-guide.png

It's a massive tier. If it were like, 5 levels smaller, folks might be more content with where they are. But when you scale this large, it's a crappy feeling to be waayyyy down low.

wrongway

Well look at it.

tekken-7-ranking-guide.png

It's a massive tier. If it were like, 5 levels smaller, folks might be more content with where they are. But when you scale this large, it's a crappy feeling to be waayyyy down low.

I dunno, I kinda like that it's on the granular side. Conceptually speaking, it feels a little less daunting to me having a bunch of small steps instead of fewer with greater gaps in between. Of course, my opinion on that could do a complete 180 if I can ever get around to having more than one or two casual sessions a week lol

Is that thing about points for rank difference accurate though? It doesn't make sense to me that you get dramatically fewer points for beating people above your rank. Have I actually been depriving myself of potential rank ups by regularly fighting people 2-3 ranks higher than me? D:

Onemic

I dunno, I kinda like that it's on the granular side. Conceptually speaking, it feels a little less daunting to me having a bunch of small steps instead of fewer with greater gaps in between. Of course, my opinion on that could do a complete 180 if I can ever get around to having more than one or two casual sessions a week lol

Is that thing about points for rank difference accurate though? It doesn't make sense to me that you get dramatically fewer points for beating people above your rank. Have I actually been depriving myself of potential rank ups by regularly fighting people 2-3 ranks higher than me? D:

Ya, fighting someone 2-3 ranks above you nets you the same amount of points as fighting someone 2-3 ranks below you. That's why you want to face someone as close to your rank as possible to receive the most amount of points.

wrongway

Ya, fighting someone 2-3 ranks above you nets you the same amount of points as fighting someone 2-3 ranks below you. That's why you want to face someone as close to your rank as possible to receive the most amount of points.

Oh damn, ok. Today I learned. Will try narrowing my search range next time. Thanks duders.

Like 80% of the people who play Tekken online will never see life above Vanguard. It has been this way for a long time. In SFV nearly 80% of players don't get out of Bronze. Fighting games are hard.

I'm going to get to Warrior with Ling or die trying.

Man, I wish there was someplace I could learn about how to play Kazuya without EWGF everything. Like, IDK how to follow up a juggle like ws+1,2 3,1,4 d/f+1, 4 S!

I don't know what to do after S! because I can't wavedash. I'm sure there's some other finisher you can do....

sasuke_91

Like 80% of the people who play Tekken online will never see life above Vanguard. It has been this way for a long time. In SFV nearly 80% of players don't get out of Bronze. Fighting games are hard.

That's where I'm at right now lol. My goal is to get to Vanquisher at the very least, but ranked is tiring xD

Man, I wish there was someplace I could learn about how to play Kazuya without EWGF everything. Like, IDK how to follow up a juggle like ws+1,2 3,1,4 d/f+1, 4 S!

I don't know what to do after S! because I can't wavedash. I'm sure there's some other finisher you can do....

You don't have to wavedash. Just dash forward and do a hellsweep.

ZeroX03

Banned

Dash d/f+1,4

You don't need to wavedash.

Spuck-uk

Banned
True. However been looking through some Tekken vids on YouTube. Found this gem to understand why EWGF is a move people should respect a players ability who can do it consistently. ( i can't I get is bout 50% of the time. :( )

Here it is:
https://youtu.be/DQ45XhqFgyU

Please don't put too much stock in TMMs opinions. He thinks Mishimas are the only skillful characters in Tekken despite being...lacking himself.

Kashiwaba

You have bad internet dude. Just get good internet. The game has it's online issues but match making isn't one of them. No one I know has issues finding games. It's 100% on your end.

Just to confirm this today I'm at my brother's house now, i took my ps4 with me and tried the game, guess what...i still have the same issue I'm really starting to think the issue is with my ps4 now.

Yall are misunderstanding me.

I'm simply saying I know what it feels like to be thoroughly thwarted as he did with that guy. You do all the mixups and fakes and they're like NOPE. When your AOP 4~3 gets low parried,

Saw a Warrior-ranked Ling, so I played them. I lost the first match (which was a demotion match) but beat them the second match.

I lost because I didn't block ss+3.

I won because they didn't block ss+3.

Didn't see them do anything for me to learn.

Wasn't mad about the demotion. Got it back and then +1 after straight wins against some other folks.

sasuke_91

Yall are misunderstanding me.

I'm simply saying I know what it feels like to be thoroughly thwarted as he did with that guy. You do all the mixups and fakes and they're like NOPE. When your AOP 4~3 gets low parried,

Saw a Warrior-ranked Ling, so I played them. I lost the first match (which was a demotion match) but beat them the second match.

I lost because I didn't block ss+3.

I won because they didn't block ss+3.

Didn't see them do anything for me to learn.

Wasn't mad about the demotion. Got it back and then +1 after straight wins against some other folks.

You really need to play against some people from GAF. Lings on lower ranks won't teach you anything, they mostly chesse their way through with ss+3 and RDS 4. I'd play with you, but I play on PS4 and live in Europe, so that won't be possible unfortunately.

Top Bottom