• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

Manbig

What is considered high/average/low dmg for a characters average combo potential anyway?

70+ for high 60+ for average and 45+ for low?

I'd say 60 damage is average for your standard 15f hopkick or d/f+2 style launcher.

I want 65+dmg basic combos
Easy too. Like Katarina

His wall dmg is amazing tho

Kat's hopkick damage is far above average though. The hopkick itself is higher damage than most hopkicks with the two hits, and since it causes instant bound, she can have some strong follow ups that most other hopkick users don't have with a regular launch.

LordKasual

Banned
I just sacrificed several matches just to study Lilli. 10f punishable after one of her stupid flips, launch punishable after her slow motion sweep. Lots of losses but they were worth the knowledge and I did wreck her after a while. Of course then I fight another Lilli that played weird as fuck with moves I've never seen her do and kicks my ass. Not even good, I was just unprepared and took too long to adapt. And of course he doesn't accept the rematch. I hate people who leave after a close match. I feel like it's BECAUSE it was close and they don't wanna risk losing.

1) Lili is quite slow, especially when it comes to her mids, and most of her dangerous lows are telegraphed. Learn how to poke well, and you'll shut most trigger happy Lili players down pretty hard.

2) Never throw out stupid moves and wiff during neutral when fighting Lili, her punish range is really really good. Like, deceptively good. It is insane how much damage i'll get off people just wiff punishing with Dew Glide + 1, 2.

3) Sidestep often. Her tracking on flips is terrible.

*4) Lili's close range mids are doodoo, and it's easy to poke her out of stuff, but her sidestep is godlike. If you ever get sidestep > matterhorn launched into space, you're too predictible, but at least you're doing the poking thing right

Finally got to play against a Lucky Chloe 6 straight rounds, 4 perfects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFbj6Mmn6LM

Please.

fite me

Manbig

1) Lili is quite slow, especially when it comes to her mids, and most of her dangerous lows are telegraphed. Learn how to poke well, and you'll shut most trigger happy Lili players down pretty hard.

2) Never throw out stupid moves and wiff during neutral when fighting Lili, her punish range is really really good. Like, deceptively good. It is insane how much damage i'll get off people just wiff punishing with Dew Glide + 1, 2.

3) Sidestep often. Her tracking on flips is terrible.

*4) Lili's close range mids are doodoo, and it's easy to poke her out of stuff, but her sidestep is godlike. If you ever get sidestep > matterhorn launched into space, you're too predictible, but at least you're doing the poking thing right

I strongly disagree with her mids being bad. If anything is wrong with her, it's that her low selection is relatively medicore, so you don't have to worry about ducking too much to get hit by her amazing mids.

She is pretty linear though, so if you're fighting against a bad or mediocre Lili player that doesn't know how to use movement to compensate for her linear moves, then you can fuck her up pretty bad with some well timed sidesteps since her whiffs tend to be pretty big ones that are easy to punish.

Oh, yeah i'd say most of the time I'm getting swept is because I think i'm out of range but i'm not.

Most of the times I LAND sweeps on people though, i'm low crushing them.

If i'm particularly nervous and aren't confident that i'll be able to see it coming...i just hopkick lol. Worse case scenario i'll get jabbed and they'll confirm into a combo, but that's almost always better than getting sweeped :V

Katarina's sweep ducks under Ling's u/f+4. For that reason, I try to u/f+3+4 because it's safe, but has a windup.

Edit:
I'm stuck in Expert hell. It doesn't help that I rematch dudes better than me infinitely.

Sad face.

I don't rematch anyone who Adderley dominated me. I'm not going to learn anything and I'm only going to become frustrated.

I took a 2 mile walk with my wife when she got home from work. Played a match afterward and got promoted to Vanguard for what feels like the 5th time.

The good news is that when I started playing Tekken 7 I had no idea how to play against Dragonuv, because I never played DR, didn't play Tekken 6 online, and skipped TTT2 (bought it for Wii U for $10 but it's still in the shrinkwrap). I can beat most Alias (they ALL cheese, but some more than others) and almost have Lili and Bob and Law downloaded, too.

Found out that Law has this 3-kick string where unless you duck and block the second kick, the high is free.

Lars is rare, but he's kinda meh.

Leo I can 50/50.

I have not lost to a Ling in a LOOOOOOONG time.

I wish there was some kind of way to practice against some Fengs. I have seen them online all day in the high greens, but when I switch to my Brawler Asuka/Kaz, I can't find them.

Rajang

https://twitter.com/TEKKEN/status/888518964715765760

DFR382LUAAAcxEf.jpg

Those examples look absolutely awful.

Onemic

Katarina's sweep ducks under Ling's u/f+4. For that reason, I try to u/f+3+4 because it's safe, but has a windup.

Edit:

Sad face.

I don't rematch anyone who Adderley dominated me. I'm not going to learn anything and I'm only going to become frustrated.

I took a 2 mile walk with my wife when she got home from work. Played a match afterward and got promoted to Vanguard for what feels like the 5th time.

The good news is that when I started playing Tekken 7 I had no idea how to play against Dragonuv, because I never played DR, didn't play Tekken 6 online, and skipped TTT2 (bought it for Wii U for $10 but it's still in the shrinkwrap). I can beat most Alias (they ALL cheese, but some more than others) and almost have Lili and Bob and Law downloaded, too.

Found out that Law has this 3-kick string where unless you duck and block the second kick, the high is free.

Lars is rare, but he's kinda meh.

Leo I can 50/50.

I have not lost to a Ling in a LOOOOOOONG time.

I wish there was some kind of way to practice against some Fengs. I have seen them online all day in the high greens, but when I switch to my Brawler Asuka/Kaz, I can't find them.

Are you down to play a few matches? I need some Ling experience

LordKasual

Banned
I strongly disagree with her mids being bad. If anything is wrong with her, it's that her low selection is relatively medicore, so you don't have to worry about ducking too much to get hit by her amazing mids.

She is pretty linear though, so if you're fighting against a bad or mediocre Lili player that doesn't know how to use movement to compensate for her linear moves, then you can fuck her up pretty bad with some well timed sidesteps since her whiffs tend to be pretty big ones that are easy to punish.

Her close range mids are bad, but not because they're actually bad, but because they're just really slow and don't lead to all that much. A player who is close on Lili doesn't really have all that much to fear from her unless they block the wrong moves.

But you're right, her lows are the bigger problem. There comes a point where everyone just blocks her trouble lows on reaction (db+4, df+4,4) and people stop letting you get her good ones off because they're slow (ff+4 feels so good) so opening people up becomes a sort of a gimmicky thing, hence why the majority of my sweeps on Lili are crushes. It's where her lack of quick mids / punishers becomes aggravating.

I think it's a fair tradeoff though.

Lucky Chloe is....an interesting character to decide to main. I honestly picked her up because she's troll as fuck ("ONE, TWO") but she's really fun use. That said, all of her gimmicks are horrifically unsafe and nobody seems to know except the Chloe player. The moment I hit Vanguard, people started punishing shit that even I didn't know was punishable because people let me get away with it so much.

The thing that makes her fun though is that she has so many stupid gimmicky moves that you can use her unsafeness to your advantage.

Her command throw (puts you in backturn) is the biggest example....It's either complete fucking trash or fear inducing depending on how people react to it. How much damage you take from it is entirely dependent on how you know to react to it. It's a mixup that's at its worse when you think that I don't know how limited it is.

Her close range mids are bad, but not because they're actually bad, but because they're just really slow and don't lead to all that much.

Her df1 is fantastic and she has a 12f mid that knocks down. Her 15f tools are some of the best in the game. And her slower stuff is great. So she's fine on the mid front imo.

I mean, yeah. It'd be nice if she had more strings attached to her jabs or df1 for sure. It'd be nice if df1 had more range. It'd be nice if she had a safe 12f mid and a magic 4 to put the fear into people. And her lows could definitely use some extra juice. Maybe some fast tracking moves too, that'd be cool. She's fine like this though.

LordKasual

Banned
Her df1 is fantastic and she has a 12f mid that knocks down. Her 15f tools are some of the best in the game. And her slower stuff is great. So she's fine on the mid front imo.

I mean, yeah. It'd be nice if she had more strings attached to her jabs or df1 for sure. It'd be nice if df1 had more range. It'd be nice if she had a safe 12f mid and a magic 4 to put the fear into people. And her lows could definitely use some extra juice. Maybe some fast tracking moves too, that'd be cool. She's fine like this though.

Yeah she feels alot more "complete" than she did in even TTT2. I don't really main her anymore, but I feel alot more confident playing her.

Yeah she feels alot more "complete" than she did in even TTT2. I don't really main her anymore, but I feel alot more confident playing her.

Yep! I reeeaaally like her new b1~f and the buffs to d1,2,4 and ff4.

But the biggest stealth buff imo is that her combos are now super consistent off axis when they were specifically very prone to dropping in that situation.

LordKasual

Banned

But the biggest stealth buff imo is that her combos are now super consistent off axis when they were specifically very prone to dropping in that situation.

b+1 into dew glide is lyfe

i dont think she could dew glide into b+1/2 either in TTT2

New tracking almost feels unfair at times compared to when shit would just wiff or go off-axis, but im beyond complaining about my characters having good shit in fighters anymore

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
Lucky Chloe is....an interesting character to decide to main. I honestly picked her up because she's troll as fuck ("ONE, TWO") but she's really fun use. That said, all of her gimmicks are horrifically unsafe and nobody seems to know except the Chloe player. The moment I hit Vanguard, people started punishing shit that even I didn't know was punishable because people let me get away with it so much.

The thing that makes her fun though is that she has so many stupid gimmicky moves that you can use her unsafeness to your advantage.

Her command throw (puts you in backturn) is the biggest example....It's either complete fucking trash or fear inducing depending on how people react to it. How much damage you take from it is entirely dependent on how you know to react to it. It's a mixup that's at its worse when you think that I don't know how limited it is.

I picked up Lucky Chloe just to learn how to stop her gimmicks... and then decided to main her. The thing I like about Chloe is that no matter how far I'm behind, I always feel like I can make a comeback. Other characters, like Lee, can feel hopeless if there's a life deficit.

I tend to keep most of her dumb gimmicks in my pocket and spend most of the match abusing 4, WR3, df1, d4, db4, ff3, and b3. Then as the set goes on slowly incorporate her dumb stuff. Using them rarely decreases the chances of it being punished, and when the opponent knows it can be punished, it makes them frustrated.

People are so scared or so prepared for he california roll that being back turned is ripe for doing crazy things. The number of times roll > throw has worked is nuts. Then there's those rare few times I use their hesitation to ki-charge and smack them with f2, 1+2.

Her command throw is actually a semi-Waining Moon, where instead of a guaranteed combo, you get a 50/50 mix-up that can give a good combo. It's either high 1,2,1+2 > b1 for like 50%, or mid 3,4 > df3,3 > dash in f2,2 with a chance for a b1. Some people go for df2,4,3,1 instead of 3,4, but that's too tough for me to bother with. You can do 1,2,2 if you cwant to check if they'll duck the high.

I tend to end most of her combos with f2,2 which gives me a chance for a b1, or if they get up, WR3 that leaves me at crazy plus frames.

Also, hey! They patched the game and fixed the blacks/browns in customization mode! (PS4)

Perineum

So I am watching some Bryan Fury combo videos to try to maximize my damages or at least understand better what to use for filler/ender.

I see in a lot of combos the ender is dash forward back 3~F4 1, 2. This ender is so inconsistent. Sometimes I get just the back 3 to hit and the F4 after, so the 1 and the 2 whiff. The timing is tight too.

Is there a better ender after they meatspin on the ground ? Or one that has a small amount of damage lost but ease of input? Or is there a better way to do this ender so I get it 100% of the time ?

Numb

So I am watching some Bryan Fury combo videos to try to maximize my damages or at least understand better what to use for filler/ender.

I see in a lot of combos the ender is dash forward back 3~F4 1, 2. This ender is so inconsistent. Sometimes I get just the back 3 to hit and the F4 after, so the 1 and the 2 whiff. The timing is tight too.

Is there a better ender after they meatspin on the ground ? Or one that has a small amount of damage lost but ease of input? Or is there a better way to do this ender so I get it 100% of the time ?
Use more hits before the screws and end with 3~F2, 1
The new looking stuff
The wall carry is amazing too

Perineum

Use more hits before the screws and end with 3~F2, 1
The new looking stuff
The wall carry is amazing too

So do you mind posting a few combos?

Like for example FB 2, F 1 + 2, 1, back 2 1 4 if I recall is a screw, or you can ditch the back 2 1 4 and do back 2 4 so they land closer.

I'm just curious what some common combos are using. Off orbital heel (UF 4, correct?) I have been doing DB 2, 1, back 2 1 4, screw, then into the ender above.

Sorry if my notation is wrong or bad. Tired as I type this, but wanted to get the info so I can lab tomorrow with him hard.

Numb

So do you mind posting a few combos?

Like for example FB 2, F 1 + 2, 1, back 2 1 4 if I recall is a screw, or you can ditch the back 2 1 4 and do back 2 4 so they land closer.

I'm just curious what some common combos are using. Off orbital heel (UF 4, correct?) I have been doing DB 2, 1, back 2 1 4, screw, then into the ender above.

Sorry if my notation is wrong or bad. Tired as I type this, but wanted to get the info so I can lab tomorrow with him hard.

Use this primer
Best resource
It's slightly old but most work still

JTCx

Best ender for Bryan is b3~f,2,1. It has massive wall carry. Or you can do d3, 2. The 4,1,2 ender works if you dash deep enough with certain launchers.

mitchlol

Just picked this up, I want an easy mode character that deals great damage and is super easy to play. Ideally a character where I only need to learn 4-5 things before I turn him online. Any suggestions?

Are you down to play a few matches? I need some Ling experience

I'm on if you are.

I ****ING HATE Vanguard rank. All the characters I can beat soundly dodge, leaving me with almost nothing but characters I struggle against or characters I never see (and therefore, struggle against them too). I'm pissed.

Something else that's annoying: these folks ranked all up here with their 50-win characters. GTF0

Onemic

I'm on if you are.

I ****ING HATE Vanguard rank. All the characters I can beat soundly dodge, leaving me with almost nothing but characters I struggle against or characters I never see (and therefore, struggle against them too). I'm pissed.

Something else that's annoying: these folks ranked all up here with their 50-win characters. GTF0

cool, Im down. What's your steam?

Kumubou

b1~4 isn't very good -- it's technically plus on block but people can consistently crouch jab her out of all of the follow-ups.* If you're on some next level shit, you can immediately step cancel the crouch dash and then do a low crush (like hopkick or u/f+4 or something) but that doesn't carry positive expected damage, from my experience.

*You technically can b+4~1~CD 4 and trade with the low jab in a trade that you win, damage wise. Kind of a bad option otherwise (although not terrible, since it is a mid that is safe on block).

And I don't see how the buff to d1,2,4 really means anything, since people who know the match-up will duck upon seeing the d+1 and just blow you up the moment d+1,2 whiffs.

The changes to f,f+4 and her off-axis combos are very real, though. Being able to get consistent damage off of side-turned launchers is nice. :3

She still sucks.

cool, Im down. What's your steam?

So yall know, Onemic won 4-3. I won the first three and then he crushed me after that once he realized that I wasn't kidding when I said that I eat (hell)sweeps like they'll increase my IRL life expectancy.

After that, I went on to do this. Seven total hours of Tekken 7 today. I'm tired. Gonna write about stuff I learned with Ling on this journey later.

tgfbBKv.jpg

So people who have both versions and play them, how is PS4 online compared to PC? I have both but almost always stick to the latter for convenience's sake, less input lag, less loading and all the other QoL perks it has by comparison. But man online has just been the absolute worst lately in regards to matchmaking and connections, so I'm wondering if I should just play the console iteration until they finally get around to patching up the PC version.

b1~4 isn't very good -- it's technically plus on block but people can consistently crouch jab her out of all of the follow-ups.* If you're on some next level shit, you can immediately step cancel the crouch dash and then do a low crush (like hopkick or u/f+4 or something) but that doesn't carry positive expected damage, from my experience.

*You technically can b+4~1~CD 4 and trade with the low jab in a trade that you win, damage wise. Kind of a bad option otherwise (although not terrible, since it is a mid that is safe on block).

That last one is what i do the most. Trading with jabs is fine since i get the knockdown. And as you say, if they -keep- crouch jabbing or ducking you can hopkick them. Or uf3+4 if you want a safer less rewarding option. Combined with just doing b1 by itself and occasionally b1,4, jabbing against it is just a poor proposition. Once they stop jabbing, 3+4 is +6 on block.

And that's when b1 is blocked. On hit you can't even crouch jab the qcf3+4.

I think it's good. Or good enough to be usable at least.

And I don't see how the buff to d1,2,4 really means anything, since people who know the match-up will duck upon seeing the d+1 and just blow you up the moment d+1,2 whiffs

d1 by itself is a relatively safe decent range 18f highcrushing low that's 0 on hit. That's pretty good! String options after it that aren't minus frakking 15 make it even better.

People ducking every time after it? Good. I want them to. d1~d ws4 is a decent place to start.

So i've been using it a lot. Obviously it's just chip damage but it's been working well for me.

So people who have both versions and play them, how is PS4 online compared to PC? I have both but almost always stick to the latter for convenience's sake, less input lag, less loading and all the other QoL perks it has by comparison. But man online has just been the absolute worst lately in regards to matchmaking and connections, so I'm wondering if I should just play the console iteration until they finally get around to patching up the PC version.

PS4 still garbage online.

A 3bar on PC feels like a 5 on ps4, its ridiculous.

maomaoIYP

Just picked this up, I want an easy mode character that deals great damage and is super easy to play. Ideally a character where I only need to learn 4-5 things before I turn him online. Any suggestions?
Kazumi
Just killed a Jin AI in Treasure Battle that was wearing this.

First time seeing it. Am I going crazy? I don't see it in Jin's inventory.
AI has access to many customizations not available to players yet.

Onemic

PS4 has infinite revenge match and much better matchmaking than PC atm. I pretty much only do player lobbies on PC, but the few times I do try doing ranked or quick match matchmaking can literally take 20 minutes before I get someone to fight and more than half the time I'll get opponent connection lost or the player will just not want to face me because of the character Im using.

PS4 I get matches within 10 seconds or so in most cases. Only problem is that the netcode is absolute ass, so if I ask for 4 bar and up I'll usually always get a 3 bar and a 3 bar on PS4 feels like a low end 2 bar on PC. If I do 5 bar only the wait times then equal PC matchmaking, so im stuck playing roulette hoping that I face someone that isnt on a dodgy wifi connection that will drop down to 3 bars when I connect.

MUnited83

For you.
PS4 has infinite revenge match and much better matchmaking than PC atm. I pretty much only do player lobbies on PC, but the few times I do try doing ranked or quick match matchmaking can literally take 20 minutes before I get someone to fight and more than half the time I'll get opponent connection lost or the player will just not want to face me because of the character Im using.

PS4 I get matches within 10 seconds or so in most cases. Only problem is that the netcode is absolute ass, so if I ask for 4 bar and up I'll usually always get a 3 bar and a 3 bar on PS4 feels like a low end 2 bar on PC. If I do 5 bar only the wait times then equal PC matchmaking, so im stuck playing roulette hoping that I face someone that isnt on a dodgy wifi connection that will drop down to 3 bars when I connect.
My experience on PC has been great, never takes more than 20 seconds to get a match. Netcode is also pretty good. The only issue I have with it is a small bug with the displayed connection quality of the opponents. It's fairly common to see someone matchmaking with you showing the lowest bar possible (the one with the disconnection symbol, it doesn't even have a actual bar) but then when you start a match you see they're actually a 4 or even a 5 sometimes.

vocab

Sometimes when I cant find a match I exit and reenter ranked it refreshes the matchmaking and it works. Seems weird that it just suddenly breaks.

Pompadour

So I picked up Miguel because I'm trying to learn Tekken and Steve, although I love the character, felt like too much work. I'm immediately doing better but there's a few things I'm having trouble with.

What's a good, basic combo after b1 CH? I'm assuming this is a decent CH because I catch people with it almost as much as with Steve's b1 CH.

What's a good low punish combo?

Thanks in advance.

Doomshine

What's a good, basic combo after b1 CH? I'm assuming this is a decent CH because I catch people with it almost as much as with Steve's b1 CH.

sidestep right and db+2 into whatever combo you prefer. I do db+2 df+1 df+4,1~f SAV 1,1 S! ff+2,1 (or ff+2,2 for wall carry)

What's a good low punish combo?

Do you mean ws punishers? For -11 to -13 he has ws+4 or ws+1 and for -14 he has ws+2,4 or ws+2,2. For -15 and more he has hopkick.

Pompadour

sidestep right and db+2 into whatever combo you prefer. I do db+2 df+1 df+4,1~f SAV 1,1 S! ff+2,1 (or ff+2,2 for wall carry)

Do you mean ws punishers? For -11 to -13 he has ws+4 or ws+1 and for -14 he has ws+2,4 or ws+2,2. For -15 and more he has hopkick.

Yep, that's what I meant. Thanks.

Top Bottom