• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

My worst fear is coming true.

Lars isn't fitting me as well as I thought. I'm starting to realize that maybe range and lows aren't as important to me as good offense and block punishment. Maybe I should have stuck to my original plan of learning Gigas.

At least I still have Katarina. DARN this character crisis!

That appears to be 90% of Kings online. Only most of them don't have the decency of donning the Okada costume.
Exactly.

I don't mind if you play like that, as long as you rep the Rainmaker.

GGs Squirrel. Nice Lili. I didn't play T7 all day like always to not be tired in case you wanted to play.

Aha, thanks. That was a nice long set.

I actually wasn't happy with my Lili at all tbh. I need to rethink some stuff.

Lars isn't fitting me as well as I thought. I'm starting to realize that maybe range and lows aren't as important to me as good offense and block punishment. Maybe I should have stuck to my original plan of learning Gigas.

At least I still have Katarina. DARN this character crisis!

Lars has good block punishment though. A top tier 12f punish and a 14f launcher. His offense is rather good too.

But i feel you on the character crisis front. It's a problem that keeps popping up for me ;/

Rajang

drwY8gW.gif

Good shit Nuszka, when we playing?

Lars has good block punishment though. A top tier 12f punish and a 14f launcher. His offense is rather good too.

But i feel you on the character crisis front. It's a problem that keeps popping up for me ;/
Agree with you on the block punishment, that's definitely great.

But his offense isn't based off of CHs which it turns out is the style I prefer. His offense isn't a "suffocating" or pressuring style which is what I'm enjoying most. It's mainly a preference thing more than anything else :/

Guess I'll keep running down through the list of characters that interest me.

Rajang

But his offense isn't based off of CHs which it turns out is the style I prefer. His offense isn't a "suffocating" or pressuring style which is what I'm enjoying most. It's mainly a preference thing more than anything else :/

Try Steve.

I see. Lars does have b4, that's a pretty good CH tool now that it's 15f.

Maybe you should give Miguel a go? Great CH tools with b1 and magic 4 and f2. And fast up close pokey stance stuff.

I see. Lars does have b4, that's a pretty good CH tool now that it's 15f.

Maybe you should give Miguel a go? Great CH tools with b1 and magic 4 and f2. And fast up close pokey stance stuff.
Yeah, Lars' b4 is awesome as it does 50 damage on CH and is real easy to fish for since it's safe oB. -8 oB and +8 oH.

The characters on my list right now are (in order of interest):
Gigas
Lili
Claudio
Miguel

I already tried Kazumi and she certainly fits my desired style but man her damage output is quite low and her moves don't seem THAT strong tbh. Against a player familiar with her stuff, it can get quite difficult to open someone up without taking considerable risks, and the reward for a successful risk isn't particularly amazing.

Gigas I think will be a good character for me since he has great 10f punishes, decent reach and some good throws in his arsenal.

Regardless, I'm gonna spend time with each of them and come to a final conclusion. Goal is to have 3 characters eventually (initially it was for 2 but damn Katarina is so easy to play she just earned herself a solid spot on my roster).

GrayFoxPL

drwY8gW.gif

Good shit Nuszka, when we playing?

Yeah, me too.

Try Steve.

Good choice.

Lars still relies on counter hits like most characters. Arc blast is 15 frame launcher punisher but it's not a hopkick so won't crush anything it's more unsafe then a hopkick. Uf+3 crushes but it's 16 frames so it'll mostly land as crush ch, similar to uf+4 that is 25 frames but crushes everything for days so will land as ch if you want it to or not. His fastest launcher is f,b+2,1, 14 frames but -18 so you gotta not only by good at the motion but also commit or die. He still needs ch db+4 or ff+1+2 to launch, ch b+4 is boosted in this game too. Tekken is a game where you fish for counter hits with any character.

The characters on my list right now are (in order of interest):
Gigas
Lili
Claudio
Miguel

I already tried Kazumi and she certainly fits my desired style but man her damage output is quite low and her moves don't seem THAT strong tbh. Against a player familiar with her stuff, it can get quite difficult to open someone up without taking considerable risks, and the reward for a successful risk isn't particularly amazing.

Agreed. Kazumi does have a pretty obnoxious style of fast up close pokey pressure that's good at making people really stressed out. I enjoy playing her even though i don't think she's all that strong.

I suspect you'll be disappointed with Lili, she has basically no CH tools to speak of. I think she's a good character, but i doubt she does what you like. Definitely give her a try though, it's super fun to matterhorn people and make them angry.

Gigas I think will be a good character for me since he has great 10f punishes, decent reach and some good throws in his arsenal.

Gigas is weird. I like playing him but his movement is so shit you just have to hold a lot of pressure that other characters can get out of. It's pretty frustrating. But doing catastrophic damage and having good range is fun.

Mmm. Maybe you should consider Josie too, if you haven't already? She has -a lot- of CH tools and pretty good stringy pressure up close.

It's certainly not that he isn't a good character or that he's lacking in ways to get damage off of CHs but I just personally don't enjoy using him as much as I thought. His combos are still fun AF to pull off but in actual matches when you have to use the tools available to you I just don't really enjoy using him.

Not a fault of the character, just my own preference.

Agreed. Kazumi does have a pretty obnoxious style of fast up close pokey pressure that's good at making people really stressed out. I enjoy playing her even though i don't think she's all that strong.

I suspect you'll be disappointed with Lili, she has basically no CH tools to speak of. I think she's a good character, but i doubt she does what you like. Definitely give her a try though, it's super fun to matterhorn people and make them angry.

Gigas is weird. I like playing him but his movement is so shit you just have to hold a lot of pressure that other characters can get out of. It's pretty frustrating. But doing catastrophic damage and having good range is fun.

Mmm. Maybe you should consider Josie too, if you haven't already? She has -a lot- of CH tools and pretty good stringy pressure up close.
Lili I'm mainly interested in because her design is awesome, I'm a sucker for non-american blondes, because she speaks french and because I was mesmerized watching a pro Lili player use her sidestep so efficiently. I probably know that the character is not for me but it might be a case of me adjusting for the character rather than wanting a character that's already good for me.

I've found that I do tend to go for characters that have "quirks" to their movesets and Gigas definitely fits that bill. The high damage and good range part is what's drawing me to him! I'll definitely give all those characters a shot (including Josie) and report back here.

Thanks guys, you've been really helpful.

Try Steve.
I actually did try Steve but I can just tell I'm not gonna get very far playing him, at least for now. This is my first proper Tekken so I'm still learning all the ins and outs as well as learning the characters. Once I'm familiar enough with the systems and the matchups then I'll definitely give Steve an honest go.

joeblow

Katarina has some CH setups to mess around with. Plus you get to take advantage of the fact that a lot of people still don't fully know how to play against her.

GrayFoxPL

lucebuce, pick Lei for ultimate quirkiness.

m0t0xhd.gif

But seriously, no. 1 rushdown character in this game is Nina, imo. If you let opponent have time to think for a quarter of a second, you're doing it wrong. Just look as these two nutjobs go at it.

Pakistan. I tried playing with Ironfist Sect Numb but the connection was not great on PS4.

I basically only play with the local UAE/Middle Eastern community but fortunately the Tekken scene is more active here than the SF scene.

GrayFoxPL

Pakistan. I tried playing with Ironfist Sect Numb but the connection was not great on PS4.

I basically only play with the local UAE/Middle Eastern community but fortunately the Tekken scene is more active here than the SF scene.

I'm in Poland, little closer than Numb, who lives on the moon. We can try one time to check connection.

Psn: GrayFoxPL

Give me a shout if you see me online.

Perineum

As someone who has tried every character on your list and has a hard on for Gigas as well since Marduck is gone...go with Miguel.

His moveset is just SO damn satisfying to hit. I was potentially maining Lars, but I'm a savage boy now.

Took forever, and a lot of getting my ass beat online with characters, but for the foreseeable future Miguel is mah boy. He didn't click right away for me as his combos confused me a bit at first to incorporate savage stance, but his power crush moves are such a good way to fish in mid and long screen for people who like to do stupid shit. High damage, great buttons, albeit some lack in certain ranges so you need to learn a lot of his string options compared to say Lars.

The only character I would drop Miguel for in a heartbeat would be Lee if I could even wrap my mind around making him work. His Rage Art is the definition of swag.

I don't think I've ever had a good connection with people outside the Gulf Countries in this game, I'm down to test our connection if you're on PC.

Perineum

This sounds like a logistical nightmare, especially given the game's spotty netcode. There'd also be no way (that I'm aware of) they'd be able to check if someone has minimum 3 mbps upload speed and is on a wired connection, so I don't know how they plan to reinforce their eligibility rules.

Oh yeah. It'll be a shit show. Should be entertaining.

This sounds like a logistical nightmare, especially given the game's spotty netcode. There'd also be no way (that I'm aware of) they'd be able to check if someone has minimum 3 mbps upload speed and is on a wired connection, so I don't know how they plan to reinforce their eligibility rules.

Level Up has run tons of these online tournaments (they're running this one), and iirc they require a speedtest screenshot.

Sayah

Level Up has run tons of these online tournaments (they're running this one), and iirc they require a speedtest screenshot.

They've run tournaments at the same level and scale as this one? This is literally covering North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia.

Can't you just forge that or photoshop it?

Yeah, not to mention that it won't account for people using lag switches.

Onemic

They've run tournaments at the same level and scale as this one? This is literally covering North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia.

Yeah, not to mention that it won't account for people using lag switches.

I dont think forging speed test's and lag switching will be a big deal. This isnt the first online tournament for a fighter ever being run. Levelup hasnt had big issues with it in the past either. I dont know how they'll be able to detect if you're wired though.

International is new, but they've run North American online events for years. Community based and officiallly sponsored. They do lots of things.

Can't you just forge that or photoshop it?

It's just an online tournament guys. There is no money on the line and the tour points available are extremely meager. Community run and community policed. Let's just have some fun.

sasuke_91

Guys. Tomorrow is the day when I'm finally a human being again (been occupied since T7 released studying for an annoying exam and also in need of money, so I've been working a lot as well), so to anyone I haven't played in a while:
GET READY!
FOR THE NEXT BATTLE

Guys. Tomorrow is the day when I'm finally a human being again (been occupied since T7 released studying for an annoying exam and also in need of money, so I've been working a lot as well), so to anyone I haven't played in a while:
GET READY!
FOR THE NEXT BATTLE

Awesome. I'm gonna test my characters against you, see what works and what needs changing.

rulerk1

um does Kazumi and Akuma have super armor on all of their moves and no cooldown evasive dashes or am i just fighting some SNK level bullshit AI?

um does Kazumi and Akuma have super armor on all of their moves and no cooldown evasive dashes or am i just fighting some SNK level bullshit AI?

The special match CPU characters (Devil Kazumi/Akuma/Heihachi/Jin/Devil Kazuya) all have extra bullshit introduced for your entertainment, yes.

GrayFoxPL

GET READY!
FOR THE NEXT BATTLE

hhtfGiS.gif

Man it's such a shame this game doesn't have replays. It would be so incredibly useful if you could rewatch a match you played with information showing like whether a move was high/mid/low, whether it has high/low crush properties, whether that throw was a 1,2 or a 1+2 break, etc.

Would really make learning matchups more intuitive than going into training mode and manually recreating situations and looking for specific properties and stuff.

Rajang

Man it's such a shame this game doesn't have replays. It would be so incredibly useful if you could rewatch a match you played with information showing like whether a move was high/mid/low, whether it has high/low crush properties, whether that throw was a 1,2 or a 1+2 break, etc.

Would really make learning matchups more intuitive than going into training mode and manually recreating situations and looking for specific properties and stuff.

Yep, it's unacceptable that there is no replay system like in Tag 2.

I suggest tweeting Michael Murray and Harada about it. I already did it multiple times.

Top Bottom