• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

Ironically I think I've found my worst matchup and it's... me. Just had an Asuka mirror against someone who was just throwing out random nonsense and I kept falling for it and could not find an answer at all. I've fought so few mirror matches I just don't even know how to deal with my own character which feels really terrible, lol. Totally exposed.

Eh... you can still learn to force your own game plan on people. If you don't want to play match like that, make your opponent play at your pace.

When I try this I get launched for a juggle.

Or a rage art.

I'm coming up on 2000 matches (wins) and I really don't feel like I can get any better.

In fact I only feel like I'm just boosting everyone else's second and third character.

The only character I regularly beat with any consistency is Lucky Chloe, Akuma, and Eliza, and they are super rare.

Came home from work today and got demoted from vanguard to maurauder in 45 minutes. Fml

Onemic

Or a rage art.

I'm coming up on 2000 matches (wins) and I really don't feel like I can get any better.

In fact I only feel like I'm just boosting everyone else's second and third character.

The only character I regularly beat with any consistency is Lucky Chloe, Akuma, and Eliza, and they are super rare.

Came home from work today and got demoted from vanguard to maurauder in 45 minutes. Fml

Time to hit the lab and learn those mu's.

Any Dragunov players know what to use to punish?

What are you punishing?

Standing Punishers:
i10 - 1,3 (damage); 2,1 (frames); 1,2; 1,1
i12 - 4,1; d/f+4 (range)
i13 - d/f+1 (i12 options better)
i14 - b+3; f+4,4; JF qcf+1+2 (difficult)
i15 - d/f+2
i17 - f+1+2; JF qcf+1

WS Punishers:
i11 - WS+4
i12 - WS+1,3 (damage); WS+1,2 (frames); WS+1+2 (consistency)
i15 - WS+2
i23 - u/f,n,4

Ame

Standing
10f: 2,1 ,1,1 or 1,3 (and 1,2 but it's worse)
12-14f: 4,1 (for 14f you have f4,4 but it's not good)
15f: df2

crouching
11f: ws4
12-14f ws1+2, ws1,3 or ws1,2
15f: ws2

What are you punishing?

Standing Punishers:
i10 - 1,3 (damage); 2,1 (frames); 1,2; 1,1
i12 - 4,1; d/f+4 (range)
i13 - d/f+1 (i12 options better)
i14 - b+3; f+4,4; JF qcf+1+2 (difficult)
i15 - d/f+2
i17 - f+1+2; JF qcf+1

WS Punishers:
i11 - WS+4
i12 - WS+1,3 (damage); WS+1,2 (frames); WS+1+2 (consistency)
i15 - WS+2
i23 - u/f,n,4

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

CSX

Ironically I think I've found my worst matchup and it's... me. Just had an Asuka mirror against someone who was just throwing out random nonsense and I kept falling for it and could not find an answer at all. I've fought so few mirror matches I just don't even know how to deal with my own character which feels really terrible, lol. Totally exposed.

i know that feeling but at the same time, i started to love mirror matches since it's my opportunity to steal a whole bunch of tech from my opponent for my future matches :)

So I've been playing Yakuza a lot lately and the idea of Kazuma Kiryu being a guest fighter in Tekken really sounds awesome. I haven't been keeping up with what's been confirmed and denied though, is this is a possibility or am I wasting mental energy thinking about it

sasuke_91

Or a rage art.

If you get launched trying to dash in you don't block early enough. This will need some practice, but dashing right into blocking is what you want to be doing.

Not feeling like you can get any better is something we all went through while learning the game. Once you reach a certain level, the amount of effort you have to put in to see results is exponentionally higher than it was when you were just learning the fundamentals.

And don't worry about getting demoted. Everyone in this thread has been demoted to hell and back at some point. I got denoted from Warrior to Grand Master once back in TTT2. That was fun :p

Airbar

Neo Member
So yesterday I had my first three online matches. Went 0 / 9 but what can you do. All three players were amazing opponents because after realizing I'm a total scrub, they even let me try some shit and took it more slowly.

What confuses me though is that the connections were all abysmal. All three opponents had 4 bars yet the lag was so atrocious I sometimes had like 3 or 4 seconds freezes. Don't know if its the firewall or anything but that was a horrendous part of the experience.

What confuses me though is that the connections were all abysmal. All three opponents had 4 bars yet the lag was so atrocious I sometimes had like 3 or 4 seconds freezes. Don't know if its the firewall or anything but that was a horrendous part of the experience.

Are you on wi-fi? Any other people using the internet at your place? Stuff downloading in the background that you forgot about?

Airbar

Neo Member
Are you on wi-fi? Any other people using the internet at your place? Stuff downloading in the background that you forgot about?

Nope, ethernet directly plugged into the router with nothing in the background. The game has about 1.1mbit/s to work with. Framerate is consistently at 59/sec (monitor is 59.9hz so FPS always show as 59) but the lag is so terrible, one match vs Ling I lost like 3/4 of my health without me even seeing a single attack.

Go to the lab and learn the matchups you're having trouble with, specifically the situations that you dont know how to deal with.

I think I could teach a newb from couch to 4k in DotA 2 faster than I could do that, and DotA has 108 heroes.

Law, Bryan, Julia, Dragunov, Feng, Eddie, Leo, Nina, Heihachi mop the floor with me.

Elisa, Asuka, Hwoarang, King, Miguel, Shaheen, Limg, Steve, Akuma, Kuma feed me wins.

Everyone else is 50/50.

I have never seen a Panda.

^this us when I play Ling. When I play as Asuka, everyone is 50/50 or better in my favor. I definitely get more respect with her. With Kaz too. I still don't feel that her reaction abilities are very strong (b+4,4 is listed as a punishment along with f+1+2 but the second 4 can be ducked). If I'm not initiating, the other player is winning.

I spent some time on Reddit, reading how they consider the clock as much of a resource as health, which explains why I experience so many people playing super defensively. They are literally waiting for wiffs or opportunities to exploit frame punishment.

I also notice that NOBODY talks about throws, which I do pretty gosh-darn often.

Online makes me miss the college days when it was just the bros. Game is so much more stressful. So much more work.

sasuke_91

@Pheonix RISING: I'm not going to quote you, but I'll respond to each paragraph.

Yes, Tekken is hard. Really damn hard. And nobody said it was easy. You have to put in a lot of time to improve at a certain level.

What do you mean with "reaction abilities"? b+4,4 is a 13f punisher, yes. The second kick will hit if the first hit connects. If it's blocked or it whiffs, your opponent gets to duck the second hit, so make sure you're punishing correctly to not get it blocked.
f+1+2 is your 12f punisher. It's launch punishable, so make sure to not throw it out mindlessly against players who know their stuff.

Waiting for whiffs or baiting them is something you should generally do if you don't know the match up. You don't want to fight at close range against a character that you don't know how to punish.
Again, I don't know what "exploit frame punishment" is supposed to mean. Care to explain?

Some people pretend like throws have been made useless because they're easier to break (and also because generic throws are breakable by pressing either 1 or 2). They're still very viable though. Do you have any questions concerning throws?

Online is very stressful. It's also what made people realize that they're nowhere near as good as they thought they were when fighting their bros in college. But the satisfaction that comes from seeing a strategy work or beating your opponent in a close match is worth the stress.
If ranked is too stressful, play matches against people on GAF. You'll learn a lot from doing so.

Shieet, rarely someone revenge matches you 20+ times in ranked. Lol.
I still get that a lot. Many folks DM for the matchup knowledge. I get it often playing as Yoshi. Sometimes they will take a demotion or denied promotion and keep going with the DMs. Regardless of the results.

I especially rematch when I go up against an opponent who is hip to shenanigans and doesn't put up with them. I enjoy having to play honest and put those cards back in the deck, per se.

But so often when they get wise to the gimmicks, they'll get a win and quit right away. It's funny.

I'm saving it all for you.

Man, I LONG to find a good Ling to teach me some stuff. I beat the **** out of all of 'em.
On PC? There's a player named c0mplete who gave me a lot of trouble. He shows up in Char Cup now and then (insomnotek's twitch channel, aka Aris' roommate).

I don't know if the character has started to click or if I'm just starting to get better at Tekken but Lars is now a lot more fun than when I first started with him. He really is incredibly versatile.

Dereck

pqldm9P.gif

sasuke_91

I'm saving it all for you.

Man, I LONG to find a good Ling to teach me some stuff. I beat the **** out of all of 'em.
Are you serious? NinthPixel told you to add him and he's probably the best Ling player we have in this thread. You keep ignoring people who want to help you and prefer to complain.
I wouldn't even respond to your posts if it weren't for your bullshit spreading that I kinda want to prevent.

Nuszka

Are you serious? NinthPixel told you to add him and he's probably the best Ling player we have in this thread. You keep ignoring people who want to help you and prefer to complain.
I wouldn't even respond to your posts if it weren't for your bullshit spreading that I kinda want to prevent.

giphy.gif

Finally someone had the balls to write what everyone else is thinking.

As someone who's been maining Dragunov and seconds Jack since Dark Resurrection, I'm considering focusing on a third but don't know who.

Not into speed characters or technical, but more into power based characters. I play alot of Bryan as well, but am down for something more different. Decided long ago no Mishima's (I enjoy playing them and can EWGF, but nope). Paul is fun as well, but more fun than something I'd like to focus on.

So far all I can think of are Miguel, Feng, or Kuma (less Kuma though). Any other suggestions?

As someone who's been maining Dragunov and seconds Jack since Dark Resurrection, I'm considering focusing on a third but don't know who.

Not into speed characters or technical, but more into power based characters. I play alot of Bryan as well, but am down for something more different. Decided long ago no Mishima's (I enjoy playing them and can EWGF, but nope). Paul is fun as well, but more fun than something I'd like to focus on.

So far all I can think of are Miguel, Feng, or Kuma (less Kuma though). Any other suggestions?
Miguel is definitely good. Feng you might not like if you don't like speed, he can be an incredibly elusive character.

You might also try Gigas who has great burst damage and up close pressure. Also try Josie.

MechaX

Had some good sets with a Hwo player last night; he was better than me, but I managed to win some matches. But Hwo's stance kicking goodness was almost enough to consider him over Katarina, at least for a second.

Now I am at the point where I need to start looking at moves that I actually need to start using with her, because goddamn, I am not memorizing that move list.

Had some good sets with a Hwo player last night; he was better than me, but I managed to win some matches. But Hwo's stance kicking goodness was almost enough to consider him over Katarina, at least for a second.

Now I am at the point where I need to start looking at moves that I actually need to start using with her, because goddamn, I am not memorizing that move list.

Just use 1,1,2 and then do d+f 4. Learn the combo off of a counter hit d+f 4, and that's all you really need to win as long as you throw a couple throws and low pokes and sweeps in there.

At least until you get matched up with a decent player.

AAK

I would have said to try Kazumi or Shaheen but I don't consider them more "fun" than someone like Paul. Could you articulate what it is about Jack or Dragonuv that you find more fun than Paul? Based on the reasons & preferences you list it'll be easier to give you another recommendation.

I been added NinthPixel.

You can put me on ignore if you have a problem.

MechaX

Just use 1,1,2 and then do d+f 4. Learn the combo off of a counter hit d+f 4, and that's all you really need to win as long as you throw a couple throws and low pokes and sweeps in there.

At least until you get matched up with a decent player.

Will do once I get back home. And another thing I need to beat back into my memory (from the VF days) is that d+f does not necessarily equal an input "while crouching" like in other fighting games.

Top Bottom