• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tenerife is dropping its fecal waters unfiltered & untreated near beaches.

These are pictures from yesterday, in Tenerife, taken in a beach right below the place where I spend my summer every year:

I've went to that beach so many times, including when I was a child, seeing this is horrible. And the government keeps making excuses. Also Ska Keller won't answer

God, that's awful. Such a beautiful place and these fools ruin it like that :/

Sane_Man

This is insane. In the UK all sewage dumped anywhere near bathing waters is biologically treated and then run under UV lights, basically killing 99.9% of bacteria.

You'd think EU regulations would mean this would be standard across Europe but I guess your government doesn't want to pay the millions of euros required for treatment.

On a personal level, thank fuck I pretty much always stick to the pool and water parks when I go to Tenerife (usually every year). On a general level, how can they get away with this? Surely their are laws in place and tests carried out which would red flag to the relevant EU authorities?

Sane_Man

On a personal level, thank fuck I pretty much always stick to the pool and water parks when I go to Tenerife (usually every year). On a general level, how can they get away with this? Surely their are laws in place and tests carried out which would red flag to the relevant EU authorities?

Yep it's called the Water Framework Directive and all EU member states are required to satisfy it for all water bodies sovereign to them. Problem is the counties themselves are the ones who monitor and report the quality of the water bodies so there's lots of room for corruption.

For instance, if you wanted to ensure a WFD river meets 'good status' (as is required) you would put the sampling points in strategic positions like near headwaters before you have many inputs going into it.

I'm sure Tenerife is doing something along these lines with their bathing waters.

Liljagare

Well, voting with my money. We love Puerto De La Cruz (I miss the pizza from the little japanese guy up on Calle el Pozo, next to the Happy cafe.. :((), but hey, Galicia isn't half bad either, so they get our next few trips.

Just back from a 12 day holiday to Arona. Stayed in Los Cristianos and kept an eye on the beach every day when walking to the shops.

Sure enough a few days in I could see lots of bright brown stuff floating in the water and swishing around the rocks. My girlfriend was with me and she confirmed what I saw (I don't have great eyesight and didn't wear contacts until the evening times)

There were still a lot of people in swimming at both the main beach in Los Cristianos and the more rocky one(s) closer to where the guys were doing sand sculptures.

Disappointed really, seeing this thread pop up mere hours before my flight but I'm grateful for it too.

My girlfriend has Crohn's disease and the medication she's on can bring her to her knees sometimes. She would be in deep shit (sorry I had to) if she went swimming in that water..

Top Bottom