• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tequila Works reaquired the rights to RiME

eFKac

Wow what have been a shit show, Sony wasn't lucky with those new relationships this gen. Seems MS made the right choice not to back the game, dodged a bullet.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
game looks outstading, but then again, so did deadlight. this doesnt bode well that things have changed at tequila works

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Could simply be that their initial deal with Sony was for a digital-only release, but now they want to physically release the game due to its scope increasing and Sony were unwilling to commit publishing/marketing resources to the project.

Sony is known to generally be kind and compromising when dealing with this sort of stuff. I guess it lends some credence to the rumors saying the game wasn't coming together well.

:(

Not cool Sony, not cool!
Never saw anything like that before. I guess big opening for MS to save the project.

I'm not sure what the problem is? Games get cancelled or dropped all the time; the only difference with this one was that we knew about it very early in development. I'm glad the dev hasn't gone out of business with this news though, and that hopefully the game will still see light of day.

Not cool Sony, not cool!
Never saw anything like that before. I guess big opening for MS to save the project.

How do you know it's all Sony? There were obviously problems with development which lies with the developer.

Sony was nice enough to let them have it back instead of just keeping the IP. At least more platforms will, theoretically, be able to play Rime.

LAA

Shame. I'm betting on the game not coming along very much/fast, no idea about whether it was fun or not. Had potential at least. Hopefully it still comes out eventually.

ViciousDS

Banned
so between this and Below both MS and Sony have two indie games they showed 3 years ago to still yet release.

Wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft drops below here soon as well

This game looked really nice, well...

But still, this game got a lot of hype based on a few trailers that indeed look good, sometimes I feel people get hyped way too soon.

OT: there must be something very wrong, because Sony wouldn't drop a high quality indie project with some hype around it.

Heartfyre

I'm glad it's still getting made. I wonder if the upcoming release of The Last Guardian played into the decision, alongside the troubled development. I could imagine that Sony was supporting RiME to act as a Team ICO-style game to satiate that demand and release before TLG. Obviously wasn't going to happen at this point.

Dabanton

Choosing partners and giving funding to games is fascinating. I wonder what made MS pass on this in the first place and why Sony then decided to fund it instead.

muteki

ugh, lack of any new info in forever should have made it clear, but I was still pulling for them. One of the first PS4 games I really was interested in.

Cardon

There's no doubt now, this project is dead

Thinking about things more I think this has to be the case sadly. Tequila Works just moved offices so the timing of this just seems weird. Unless they found an investor or are sinking their own money into everything (financing, moving to new studio, etc.) Rime has to be either canned or on the backburner while they kick around other concepts or do contractual work.

Kasper

This sucks, I was looking forward to the game. Hopefully this doesn't mean it will either suck or never come out.

Wow, seems like Sony really dropped the ball on this one. The game looked gorgeous.

Hopefully a publisher like Curve or Ubisoft can help them release this game to all platforms instead of just one.

People making huge assumptions about the game & making villains in a made up narrative.

I'm guessing there are good reasons for this news.

The game could suck, the game could be good.

The devs could suck, the devs could be good.

Or any combination of the above.

A game "looking good" in a Gamescom trailer doesn't mean anyone dropped the ball. Shit happens.

Elandyll

Banned
Wow, seems like Sony really dropped the ball on this one. The game looked gorgeous.

Hopefully a publisher like Curve or Ubisoft can help them release this game to all platforms instead of just one.
Sony did?

You haven't been reading this thread, have you?

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Choosing partners and giving funding to games is fascinating. I wonder what made MS pass on this in the first place and why Sony then decided to fund it instead.
MS is notorious for passing on games that they think won't sell, or appeal to everyone.

daveo42

Banned
Sony doesn't seem adverse to tossing money at a seemingly hopeless project. See Team ICO for example.

While Sony is fine with throwing money at projects that don't seem worth it financially, they have been games that a sizable portion of their fans have been clamoring for. TLG might not be a financial success at the end of the day, but they are making gamer dreams come true.

Rime doesn't have near as big a following nor a fervor from the fanbase.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This game has had some serious issues for a while now from the few things we've heard. I mean everyone was expecting some kind of Shadow of the Colossus/Ico style adventure game but last time I heard about this game it was a MOBA and they were actually scrapping that idea since it was not working out at all. This was only a few months ago if I remember correctly.

Dabanton

so between this and Below both MS and Sony have two indie games they showed 3 years ago to still yet release.

Wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft drops below here soon as well

Below had hands on previews a few weeks ago and is seemingly very good. Can't see MS dropping that at all.

Glix

I think its early to rush to judgement about what this means for the game...

Except I think surely this means its still a long way out, which bums me.

AmuroChan

Yes, I'm sure Sony dropped the deal because development was going so well and the game was turning out great.

ViciousDS

Banned
Below had hands on previews a few weeks ago and is seemingly very good. Can't see MS dropping that at all.

good.....I would hate to see that game not show up either....both of these were my most anticipated indie games when they revealed them so damn long ago.

Very happy to hear Below is doing well.....sucks to see Rime in Dev hell

Top Bottom