• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tequila Works reaquired the rights to RiME

Jesus. Delusional developer?

Everything was fake :'(

It's kind of crazy that Sony okayed this. Did they have that much faith in the team? Sounds like a really bad mistake.

Oh well. Hopefully it works out as best as possible for the sake of the studio.

GhaleonEB

That's really sad to read, the trailers were beautiful and had me looking forward to the game greatly. Hope it turns out, but I'm not hopeful for it at this point.

Ydelnae

After reading what Iherre shared, I'm feeling so sad that these spanish studios keep fucking up like this. First MercurySteam with the Lords of Shadow 2 mess and now Tequila. They are certainly not building bridges to let the industry grow in Spain, no one is going to trust a spanish developer if they keep pulling things like this. What a shame how this turned out.

Sony announced the game back in 2013. It 'was' their IP, and now it might as well be cancelled. Just a little while ago people were calling Microsoft horrible at management for doing the same thing with fable legends.

That being said, stuff happens. I was really looking forward to the game. And it sucks that it's most likely dead. Oh well

Because tequila works is totally a Sony owned studio, like Lionhead was to Microsoft, right?

All this info comes from a source very close to the studio.

First of all, I was told that the reveal trailer was all cinematic. It was faked to mimic gameplay, assets, etc. from a real game but 0% of the game was implemented.

So the real challenge for the studio was to put that vision into the final game. And apparently this has been impossible to achieve.

This words are a direct quote from my source about this news and the studio itself (it contains his personal opinion):

"Sony required about one month ago the DEV KITs to be returned and canceled the fundings into Tequila Works, due of the game had no-sense. Basically there wasn't a game.

This is a consecuence of the bad studio direction, basically Raul Rubio thinks that he is the next Tim Schafer. The truth is that Raul was fired from MercurySteam. The people from MercurySteam speak really bad about him (the main critics are: he has no idea about games, technology and he has crazy ideas without sense). If you add that his wife is the chairman of Tequila Works and looking for info about her you can find this:

http://www.notariado.org/liferay/we...4233524_ELIG_NOT_PARAM_SITUACION=AC&FLAG=MAIL

You could see that she is public notary in Spain. She hasn't any background making games. The results are, that Rime has no publisher and it is not cancelled due of they got public spanish founds to develop games:

http://www.minetur.gob.es/PortalAyu...nts/Listado_PropuestaProvisionalConcesion.pdf

If you take a look into their website and you compare the hellworkers list with the original team from Deadlight , only a couple guys remains from the original team. If all the team has left the studio, you must think that something wrong there is into the top of the company."

I'm a bit sad to be honest since i was there in the first days of the studio (not working).

Wow, what an utter catastrophe. And I had such high hopes for this game from the moment it was unveiled too. I still remember watching that debut trailer for the first time live and being bewitched by what I was seeing.

Publishers/developers really need to get out of this habit of showing games too early on. It's a destructive practice. Just let them brew for as long needed before they're shown to the public!

First of all, I was told that the reveal trailer was all cinematic. It was faked to mimic gameplay, assets, etc. from a real game but 0% of the game was implemented.

So the real challenge for the studio was to put that vision into the final game. And apparently this has been impossible to achieve.

So basically like The Last Guardian which was never able to deliver on the promise of the reveal on the PS3 and it only worked properly when next gen came. This lines up with the other quote saying they filled up the PS4's memory and had to work late on many days "cutting shit and optimizing textures."

This is sad not only because it looked like a great game, but because it also makes me worried about other indies that have been out of the spotlight for a while (Inside, Below)

Acidote

I was waiting for this to happen since lherre told everything he said in his post to a few people months and months ago. You guys better believe him.

After reading what Iherre shared, I'm feeling so sad that these spanish studios keep fucking up like this. First MercurySteam with the Lords of Shadow 2 mess and now Tequila. They are certainly not building bridges to let the industry grow in Spain, no one is going to trust a spanish developer if they keep pulling things like this. What a shame how this turned out.

Let's not forget that for some weird reason Spain is breeding some of the best animators in this industry. I don't know what they're putting into your food, but I love spanish animators :D

Blitworks! Awesome studio and very trusted by other devs to port their games.

e26074d95901fa9ea5917d2a0734984b.jpg

They sure were able to fool everyone, how could you doubt if Sony was funding it.

I hope we someday get all the details.

This story is crazy to follow. So Rime was maybe nothing more than a CG trailer? Or maybe it was trying to be a Tower Defense game? Or maybe a MOBA? What?

I don't even know what to think here, but am damn curious to know what happened.

This is sad not only because it looked like a great game, but because it also makes me worried about other indies that have been out of the spotlight for a while (Inside, Below)
Don't break my heart now. I thought Below was playable and was coming out sometime soon? Haven't followed it too closely.

So basically like The Last Guardian which was never able to deliver on the promise of the reveal on the PS3 and it only worked properly when next gen came. This lines up with the other quote saying they filled up the PS4's memory and had to work late on many days "cutting shit and optimizing textures."

I'm hearing Inside is a phenomenal game and shaped up super nicely, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Playdead just never gives a shit about PR and then releases something brilliant. They did the same with Limbo and goddamn did Limbo deliver...

daman824

At fault for what? Blamed how? Obviously we don't and will never know the particulars, but as stated before Sony has probably earned a little more benefit of the doubt in this case because they have proven they are not averse to publishing or backing games that don't have a ton of commercial appeal, or that take too long to develop. There must have been something especially wrong with this project for them to drop it. Doesn't neccesarily mean Sony did anything wrong. They took a chance on a smaller dev and a project they thought looked promising. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't.
If these rumors are true Sony announced a game with a fully cgi trailer made to trick customers into thinking it was gameplay. Multiple trailers were made like this. They also announced the game incredibly early considering the first part of the game was just finished three years after it was announced.

This entire project was just a giant mess . The devs are definitely the ones most at fault here. But everyone involved deserves some of the blame

SerTapTap

This is awful. This was no joke my most wanted PS4 game for a while, probably still was before this. Hopefully something still happens but it doesnt' seem likely right now...

They sure were able to fool everyone, how could you doubt if Sony was funding it.

I hope we someday get all the details.

Man. This game looked so ready to go. Imagine being the team behind this and knowing that all you had was a fake trailer.

I would be shitting my pants. The trailer even made it seem like you had ICO-like combat, but apparently it ended up being all puzzles. And it definitely does not look easy to make a good puzzle game

NotMyPsn

Banned
It was an open world adventure game? Game looked gorgeous and it was just a cinematic... good on sony for dropping them, bad on showing footage so early.

DNAbro

This words are a direct quote from my source about this news and the studio itself (it contains his personal opinion):

"Sony required about one month ago the DEV KITs to be returned and canceled the fundings into Tequila Works, due of the game had no-sense. Basically there wasn't a game.

This is a consecuence of the bad studio direction, basically Raul Rubio thinks that he is the next Tim Schafer. The truth is that Raul was fired from MercurySteam. The people from MercurySteam speak really bad about him (the main critics are: he has no idea about games, technology and he has crazy ideas without sense). If you add that his wife is the chairman of Tequila Works and looking for info about her you can find this:

http://www.notariado.org/liferay/we...4233524_ELIG_NOT_PARAM_SITUACION=AC&FLAG=MAIL

You could see that she is public notary in Spain. She hasn't any background making games. The results are, that Rime has no publisher and it is not cancelled due of they got public spanish founds to develop games:

http://www.minetur.gob.es/PortalAyu...nts/Listado_PropuestaProvisionalConcesion.pdf

If you take a look into their website and you compare the hellworkers list with the original team from Deadlight , only a couple guys remains from the original team. If all the team has left the studio, you must think that something wrong there is into the top of the company."

I'm a bit sad to be honest since i was there in the first days of the studio (not working).

man if this is true that is just awful. So disappointing.

Absolutely incredible.

If these rumors are true Sony announced a game with a fully cgi trailer made to trick customers into thinking it was gameplay. Multiple trailers were made like this. They also announced the game incredibly early considering the first part of the game was just finished three years after it was announced.

This entire project was just a giant mess . The devs are definitely the ones most at fault here. But everyone involved deserves some of the blame

Why we need to blame anyone? Sony just dropped the funding of a potentially great game (which was never to be an actual game). Sony tried, Tequila didin't provide. Actually there's no one but the studio to be blamed. Sony wanted it to turn into a game, but shit happened and Sony said "enough".

The amount of games that are announced this way is too high to even list. Stop looking at that kind of thing as deception. Sony is not trying to "trick" you into buying a bad game. They are cutting ties with this particular project specifically because they don't want you to buy a bad game.

Ydelnae

Let's not forget that for some weird reason Spain is breeding some of the best animators in this industry. I don't know what they're putting into your food, but I love spanish animators :D

I was talking about the high-er ups in these studios. While we can't say that Spain is sending uncreative, badly-instructed or unprofessional workers to the industry (I didn't mean that), these two cases (Mercury and Tequila) are rather big, and both involved some "director" messing up with the rest of the team. Spain has potential for developing a bigger videogame industry, I can't deny that, but after hearing about games like these, they put in doubt the capability of spanish devs.

The amount of games that are announced this way is too high to even list. Stop looking at that kind of thing as deception. Sony is not trying to "trick" you into buying a bad game. They are cutting ties with this particular project specifically because they don't want you to buy a bad game.

Yeah, thats totally the reason.

daman824

Sony is cutting ties because they no longer feel they can recoup the cost of development on the game. Not because they care about me.

And no that's not true. Games are announced with cgi trailers all the time. But games usually aren't announced with a cgi trailer made specifically to trick people into thinking what they are seeing is someone playing the actual game in front of them

Game was announced nearly 3 years ago and we still havent been shown gameplay or what you actually do. It was clear it was going through problems.

Hell of a art style though. Hopefully they can build a decent game under it. At least it wasnt canned outright.

orochi91

This is just tragic.

The trailers were stunning and whimsical, only to be exposed as a farce.

D:

I'm hearing Inside is a phenomenal game and shaped up super nicely, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Playdead just never gives a shit about PR and then releases something brilliant. They did the same with Limbo and goddamn did Limbo deliver...

That's a relief to hear. Limbo is one of my all time favorite games and Inside was definitely looking like worthy iteration of their work on current gen.

d00d3n

Can someone help me understand this: Why did Tequila Works reacquire the rights to the game? Scam Sony for money, fail to deliver product ... and pay back the money to Sony?

Yeah, thats totally the reason.

Nah you're right I'm sure Sony dropped it because it was just too good and would make all of their other games look terrible in comparison. This is a business dealing that didn't work out. It doesn't have to be anything more than that. Some of you so desperate to try and turn everything that happens in this industry into an example of some big faceless corporation trying to screw the little people, or a case of someone being a scammer or a liar.

orochi91

Sony is cutting ties because they no longer feel they can recoup the cost of development on the game. Not because they care about me.

Project is dead, dude.

Move on.

Even if any other publisher wishes to pick up this toxic IP/dev, there's no guarantee the project will resemble what those trailers showed.

JonnyKong

This has made me sad :( even just looking at the front cover of Edge that was posted, I can see a game in there already, just go on an adventure!

Anyway, Thomas up above posting that Inside is shaping up to be phenomenonal has got me excited.

Those two things are not mutually exclusive. It's in Sony's interest to care about how their consumers view something they are putting their name on.

FelipeMGM

Fuck, this was my most anticipated game from a ''2nd party'' deal that Sony had. Very frustrating to know this was possibly just a scam.

daman824

Those two things are not mutually exclusive. It's in Sony's interest to care about how their consumers view something they are putting their name on.
If that were actually the case games like knack wouldn't exist.

If Sony could have found a way to quickly and cheaply get the game out the door they would have. Hell, they tried doing exactly that by sending people over to TW every two weeks to rush them into finishing the game. But TW obviously wasn't up to that, and probably wanted EVEN MORE time. So Sony cut funding

Sony has been very good about actively avoiding KZ2 situations this gen with their internal projects. Their games typically look better now than they did when they were first revealed. So why would they choose some indie game as the one they'd try to "dupe" customers with? It wouldn't be the first time a publisher themself was duped. Rumors are that's more or less what happened with Sega and Colonial Marines.

If that were actually the case games like knack wouldn't exist.

If Sony could have found a way to quickly and cheaply get the game out the door they would have. Hell, they tried doing exactly that by sending people over to TW every two weeks to rush them into finishing the game. But TW obviously wasn't up to that, and probably wanted EVEN MORE time. So Sony cut funding

Sony obviously thought Knack was better than this. You are just making assumptions and deciding who to assign how much blame to A) based on nothing and B) when it doesn't even really matter at all. Nobody was trying to is trying to deceive or screw you.

GeoramA

That's very bizarre, wow. So the game basically never existed?

daman824

Sony has been very good about actively avoiding KZ2 situations this gen with their internal projects. Their games typically look better now than they did when they were first revealed. So why would they choose some indie game as the one they'd try to "dupe" customers with? It wouldn't be the first time a publisher themself was duped. Rumors are that's more or less what happened with Sega and Colonial Marines.
I highly doubt Sony actually thought that the trailers they released were actually representative how the current state of the game.

Rumors are the the first part of the game was JUST FINISHED.

At the time Sony probably thought TW could get the finished project to look/play like that. But if the game doesn't look anywhere near that now, there is no way it looked like that three years ago. And Sony had to have known that at the time

So it was just a big con from a delusional developer. I'm surprised Sony made it as public as they did. I guess they ran with it because it got a lot of positive attention, hoping TW could eventually deliver. When that looked even less likely they stopped the PR and according to the rumors tried to get development on track. Having failed that, here we are.

I highly doubt Sony actually thought that the trailers they released were actually representative how the current state of the game.

Can you link a source to this rumor btw? I searched the thread and you're the only one bringing it up.

Sega were led to believe that the E3 demo of Colonial Marines was the bar that every other part of the game would match. We now know that didn't happen. They also stated that on multiple occasions Gearbox would show and say things to the press without their approval.

You're quoting one part of the rumor, but not the other part where Sony was more or less in a panic trying to fix the game. Why would the be panicked if they'd known about the quality all along?

Top Bottom