• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria (PS3/360) |OT| Who needs a mouse anyway?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
They work SOMETIMES, but it's better to just not use one until things get patched up, unless you want to do the "load another world" thing every time you play.

Any word on a patch? I think it's a memory issue on consoles. Like if you mine for a while it often forgets the work you've done like populate a pool of water just above hell or it simply disappears.

It seems like the more you do and longer you play the likely the odds of it freezing or getting stuck in the XMB are.

Retro

Any word on a patch? I think it's a memory issue on consoles. Like if you mine for a while it often forgets the work you've done like populate a pool of water just above hell or it simply disappears.

It seems like the more you do and longer you play the likely the odds of it freezing or getting stuck in the XMB are.

To prevent massive Obsidian farming operations, water kind of disappears when it gets into the Hell biome, I think if it falls more than 3 tiles it just vaporizes, so even using a bucket requires careful work... but that's working as intended, at least as far as water goes.

balddemon

Banned
It can't take more than 10 minutes, he gets bored and flies away at dawn.

OTOH even 5 minutes is more than enough if you've got a ranged weapon. If you absolutely insist on melee, you're not doing him until you get a big and fast weapon--either
digging in the jungle for Blade of Grass or using bombs to destroy ebonstone, smash a shadow orb, and mining a meteor to make a lightsaber.

yeah I wasn't sure how long it took me the first time I did it with shurikens. I also had not made the connection between 10 minutes and the day/night cycle. lmao. thanks for pointing that out.

MrDaravon

So is it possible to beat the hardmode bosses without doing some crazy strategy? I had to build a goddamn box to beat the destroyer. Then I summoned the twins, got wrecked twice (full adamantite armor and using the Megashark with cursed ammo) and then they just disappeared (was only like 10pm in-game so not sure what happened). Then I go online and people are telling me that I should just build a hellstone skybridge to take damage so the Twins don't hurt. Just...what the fuck. Getting increasingly annoyed, I have ridiculous amounts of the final materials but have to beat the last two bosses to get the items I need for better gear, and now I'm running short on souls of light/night and people are telling me that I should just set up auto-farms using statues and wires and other shit. This is absurd. I liked it way better when I could farm materials normally for upgrades :/

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So is it possible to beat the hardmode bosses without doing some crazy strategy? I had to build a goddamn box to beat the destroyer. Then I summoned the twins, got wrecked twice (full adamantite armor and using the Megashark with cursed ammo) and then they just disappeared (was only like 10pm in-game so not sure what happened). Then I go online and people are telling me that I should just build a hellstone skybridge to take damage so the Twins don't hurt. Just...what the fuck. Getting increasingly annoyed, I have ridiculous amounts of the final materials but have to beat the last two bosses to get the items I need for better gear, and now I'm running short on souls of light/night and people are telling me that I should just set up auto-farms using statues and wires and other shit. This is absurd. I liked it way better when I could farm materials normally for upgrades :/

The Twins are the only one I had to use a crazy strategy for (run backwards away from them wearing the Spectral Boots on my sky bridge while shooting Crystal Ammo with the Megashark). For Destroyer and Skeletron Prime, I just used the same arena I built at the beginning of the game for Eye of Cthulhu (and for Ocram I did the same, with a slight modification to the arena).

balddemon

Banned
any* boss you can't beat, all you have to do is have one square of hellstone or whatever so you take 1 damage constantly. grapple yourself to it. and then attack away.

*have not seen or tried this with destroyer, eater of worlds, skeletron, or the new boss.

MrDaravon

The Twins are the only one I had to use a crazy strategy for (run backwards away from them wearing the Spectral Boots on my sky bridge while shooting Crystal Ammo with the Megashark). For Destroyer and Skeletron Prime, I just used the same arena I built at the beginning of the game for Eye of Cthulhu (and for Ocram I did the same, with a slight modification to the arena).

I haven't built a skybridge (and as a result haven't been to a floating island yet) so I guess I'm doing that now, but goddamn.

When did Cthulhu I beat him normally, so didn't have to do any crazy shit for that one. Haven't tried Skeletron yet, people were saying he was the hardest of the three hardmode bosses so I hadn't tried yet.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
any* boss you can't beat, all you have to do is have one square of hellstone or whatever so you take 1 damage constantly. grapple yourself to it. and then attack away.

*have not seen or tried this with destroyer, eater of worlds, skeletron, or the new boss.

I've seen a Youtube video of someone beating Ocram with that method. It works fine. It's cheap as hell, but if you really can't beat a boss, then go for it I suppose.

How random is it? Are the items randomly generated?

Randomly generated in what way? Location? Yes. Stats? Weapons do have randomized modifiers, yeah.

MrDaravon

Started building a skybridge, about 400 blocks in (went 200 high then 200 to the right) a wyvern attacked me immediately followed by an arch wyvern. I die, literally within 2 seconds of respawning before I can even talk to the nurse to heal the arch wyvern is in my base and instantly kills me and 3 of my NPCs.

Fucking rad.

Edit: Okay, it just fucking happened again, and I can't even heal because my nurse is dead. What the goddamn fucking shit. Is there some sort of trick to these things, why the fuck are they apparently spawning non-stop? I feel like with one of the best armors in the game I shouldn't be getting killed this fast.

Edit 2: Wow, nonstop fucking arch wyverns. Just died over 10 times to two more of them, almost all of my NPCs are dead and they just spawn kill me until I finally whittle them down. I'm fucking done with this for a while. The wiki says that they're "formidable foes" but that they're new to the console version so there's not much on them. Fucking great.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Started building a skybridge, about 400 blocks in (went 200 high then 200 to the right) a wyvern attacked me immediately followed by an arch wyvern. I die, literally within 2 seconds of respawning before I can even talk to the nurse to heal the arch wyvern is in my base and instantly kills me and 3 of my NPCs.

Fucking rad.

Edit: Okay, it just fucking happened again, and I can't even heal because my nurse is dead. What the goddamn fucking shit. Is there some sort of trick to these things, why the fuck are they apparently spawning non-stop? I feel like with one of the best armors in the game I shouldn't be getting killed this fast.

Well, all I can say is that I'm jealous, because I had to spend like 20 minutes trying to get ONE wyvern to spawn when I was trying to make my Angel Wings. :lol

For real though, if wyverns are spawing, you built it too high. They only spawn past a certain altitude.

EDIT: For the record, I built mine too high as well. But like I said, for some reason wyverns rarely seem to spawn for me.

MrDaravon

I'm not even to the top of the map, I'm apparently special or something. Ironically I'm using the GPS and I'm not even to the height that the wiki suggests for a skybridge, but I'm in a medium-sized world so that might be why. I've seriously gotten ~5 wyverns immediately followed by arch wyverns in a row. I have no idea.

Edit: If it's a valid point of reference my skybridge was below the bottom of the only floating island I've found so far. Also it doesn't look like I'm much higher than the highest point of geography on my map, so if this is too high that seems like kind of bullshit.

Edit: Holy shit, I just had another one kill me 350 meters from my spawn point, and it was on me literally 2-3 seconds after I respawned. Holy goddamn shit batman. In general this game seriously needs to relax with the fucking enemies and spawns, 99% of my frustration with this game is stemming from that.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hardmode question:
So I want to destroy as many demon altars as possible, yeah? Keep one for any crafting, but otherwise the more I destroy, the more deposits of new ores?

MrDaravon

I saw some talk about only destroying as many as you "need", but I'm not really clear on why. You'll want to leave at least one since those don't respawn and a few items have to be made there, but other than that I'm not sure why it would matter. I think that for each one you destroy there is a random spot of corruption added, but I don't think that probably matters much at that point one way or the other, and if you really care you can probably deal with it later.

That skeleton boss is a real pain. How strong do you have to be to beat it? I've got an iron long sword and some bronze armor pieces which is probably not enough.

Neverfade

That skeleton boss is a real pain. How strong do you have to be to beat it? I've got an iron long sword and some bronze armor pieces which is probably not enough.

Full gold is plenty. Once you have it down, you could do it sans armor.

I personally use the exact same strategy as I do with eye. Arena + shurikens. There's just a couple more elements you need to dodge. But, they can be destroyed.

Philia

I'm not even to the top of the map, I'm apparently special or something. In general this game seriously needs to relax with the fucking enemies and spawns, 99% of my frustration with this game is stemming from that.

That's when you need to take a break and go create and muck in another world pre-hardmode to defuse in.

I do appreciate that this is a difficult platformer I've not played in a while and that the bosses do require some sort of strategy or teamwork that I've not seen before which is a definite plus in my book. :D

What are you guys favorite gold farming techniques right now? Getting Unreal modifier on the Megashark is costly. :(

Retro

I never let my 'home world' go into Hardmode. I've always created a second world for that.

Hardmode + Blood Moon = Base-destroying clowns. Screw that noise, I'll build a colony on another world and keep my supplies, collection and NPCs safe.

Blu10

What are you guys favorite gold farming techniques right now? Getting Unreal modifier on the Megashark is costly. :(

I can kill the destoyer 3 times a night which nets me a few platinum super easy.

Summon him, throw out the Dao of pow, hold down the trigger, and stand on the ball.

Then sell everything. You don't even need to use a potion.

Philia

I can kill the destoyer 3 times a night which nets me a few platinum super easy.

Summon him, throw out the Dao of pow, hold down the trigger, and stand on the ball.

NICE. I still have yet not gotten a dark shard yet. :( I probably should assist corruption in the desert area somehow.

Also, a friend and I just killed the Twins 6 times in a row. :D The Hellstone/Cross/Cobolt Shield trick works REAL nice as long as we both just stand there and not move lol.

MrDaravon

I never let my 'home world' go into Hardmode. I've always created a second world for that.

Hardmode + Blood Moon = Base-destroying clowns. Screw that noise, I'll build a colony on another world and keep my supplies, collection and NPCs safe.

Yeah, I've been playing the whole time in a Medium world with the intent of making a Large sized world my "home" one, but I want to start that world with all of the stuff so I need to wrap up bosses and resources in my current world first.

As far as the clowns though you can just build walls three blocks thick, and IIRC there are also some blocks you can build with that they can't destroy. I don't think clowns should be your main reasoning for that one.

anddo0

Looking at the trophy list, you have to beat the final boss up to 8 times in order to get all the armor pieces?

I thought this would be an easy plat. But, there's no way in hell I can solo this. Way too much grinding for Soul of Light/Night, Adamantite Bar etc... Shame.

ronito

I got the PS3 demo to see if it's something I'd want to invest in. I love the aesthetic and the controls feel good but it just feels sorta buggy. It froze twice and then when I got to the tutorial step about creating background walls it said "Make sure to cover all the spaces." So I did with the material they stated but it never moved onto the next step. I spent like 30 minutes making sure I hadn't missed anything and it would keep on saying "Make sure you cover everything." I gave up at that point. I might try again later. If I can get past the tutorial without any more issues then I think I might be interested but so far I don't like the bugs.

Blu10

Looking at the trophy list, you have to beat the final boss up to 8 times in order to get all the armor pieces?

I thought this would be an easy plat. But, there's no way in hell I can solo this. Way too much grinding for Soul of Light/Night, Adamantite Bar etc... Shame.

So I'm struggling to beat even the mechanical sceletron, but the light and dark souls are easy with either beating the destroyer, or eater of worlds in them, or just putting metorite in them and killing the flaming balls.

Neverfade

What armor are you using? This just failed miserably for me. Dead before he was at 3/4 health.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
What armor are you using? This just failed miserably for me. Dead before he was at 3/4 health.

Adamantite Armor, probably. Also I wonder if he had the Cross Necklace equipped and didn't mention it. Because that mitigates a large portion of the damage from using this method. You need a Cobalt/Obsidian Shield, too, to eliminate knockback from Destroyer's hits.

Neverfade

Adamantite Armor, probably. Also I wonder if he had the Cross Necklace equipped and didn't mention it. Because that mitigates a large portion of the damage from using this method. You need a Cobalt/Obsidian Shield, too, to eliminate knockback from Destroyer's hits.

Cross Necklace must be it. I have full adamantite and shield.

kassatsu

Banned
Wall of Flesh keeps kicking my ass :(. I guess I will have to build a platform to fight on

Edit: Finally!!!
Edit 2: Man these enemies are tough.

Philia

I just killed the Skeletron Prime and Ocram easy. LOL, Hellstone/Cross/Cobolt/Megashark/Crystal Bullets all the way for these guys. Ocram only drops like a pitiful amount of souls that'll require a lot of grinding to get all of the gear. 30 pieces for one piece and he just drops 6 on me? Ugh. At least he does drop a random piece of armor though. I got a Dragon chestplate? from him.

I also farmed WoF to had a very nice Ranger Emblem with +4 damage on top of that. :D I also had 3 other accessories that had +3 dmg modifiers too. And YES, I finally got Unreal modifier on my Megashark. That thing just destroy bosses EASY. I even go further with potions lol.

anddo0

I just killed the Skeletron Prime and Ocram easy. LOL, Hellstone/Cross/Cobolt/Megashark/Crystal Bullets all the way for these guys. Ocram only drops like a pitiful amount of souls that'll require a lot of grinding to get all of the gear. 30 pieces for one piece and he just drops 6 on me? Ugh. At least he does drop a random piece of armor though. I got a Dragon chestplate? from him.

I also farmed WoF to had a very nice Ranger Emblem with +4 damage on top of that. :D I also had 3 other accessories that had +3 dmg modifiers too. And YES, I finally got Unreal modifier on my Megashark. That thing just destroy bosses EASY. I even go further with potions lol.

Had to Google this.

So, you build a mini cage made of hellstone around yourself and that's it?
Can you shoot through it?

So I'm struggling to beat even the mechanical sceletron, but the light and dark souls are easy with either beating the destroyer, or eater of worlds in them, or just putting metorite in them and killing the flaming balls.

It's kinda cheap. But I've done everything in the game. All that's left is armor sets, turning the world corrupt/hallow.

Philia

Had to Google this.

So, you build a mini cage made of hellstone around yourself and that's it?
Can you shoot through it?

No, not a cage. A platform.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gwcWQfPmGg

Its an accessory set up that saves you from being destroyed by their typical attacks. But yeah the game's armor defense is pretty shit in comparison. I should warn people this, this renders the bosses purely in EASY mode. Some people say it felt like its cheating overall but eh.

Blu10

No, not a cage. A platform.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gwcWQfPmGg

Its an accessory set up that saves you from being destroyed by their typical attacks. But yeah the game's armor defense is pretty shit in comparison. I should warn people this, this renders the bosses purely in EASY mode. Some people say it felt like its cheating overall but eh.

So I thought this was patched out, where the damage from bosses took priority over the hellstone.

This actually works for the console versions?

Philia

Well obviously any ranged attacks isn't going to work as well because hellstone got you first. So when S. Prime comes down with his spinning head, his attack will overrule the hellstone in priority, which is why the player was moving away from it. I did this too and confirm that this strategy works.

balddemon

Banned
reading all your impressions makes me wish I could start over with this game. I'd gladly buy the ps3 version if it wasn't for the new terraria patch coming out soon, as well as the starbound preorder that was just announced.

Retro

reading all your impressions makes me wish I could start over with this game. I'd gladly buy the ps3 version if it wasn't for the new terraria patch coming out soon, as well as the starbound preorder that was just announced.

Well, it wasn't announced yet. But it's coming soon. Probably before the end of the week.

It's funny, there's only a handful of games I play anymore, and yet I can see them all occupying my time for most of the immediate future. Terraria, Starbound and Guild Wars 2 are all coming out / getting updates soon. Bye bye, sleep.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hardmode bosses were kicking my ass last night. I think I have to move on from my love of melee and invest more in guns and ammo.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hardmode bosses were kicking my ass last night. I think I have to move on from my love of melee and invest more in guns and ammo.

Yeah, in Hardmode the game gets a bit imbalanced as far as melee vs ranged goes. It's significantly harder to melee the Hardmode bosses (though I managed to melee Destroyer with few problems).

anddo0

Trying for the modified Megashark made me broke. I got the Unreal, but -14 speed. I wasn't satisfied. So I rolled the dice with my last plat. I ended with a sighted Megashark: +22 damage, +3 crit, +15 knockback.. Not what I wanted, but holy crap at +22 damage.

Top Bottom