• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Model 3 will be revealed on March 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascii42

Flip the visors.
That'll help a little I guess...
Model-X-Panoramic-Windshield-Visors-1024x564.jpg

mcfrank

Borrowing 35K when all you make is 70K is fucking crazy and getting in way over your head to a bank. I never said shit about getting a car loan. 5 Years with those numbers is stupidity.

If you make 70k, you take home about 4.1k a month after taxes give or take depending on your state. Is $650 out of 4.1k really that much?

Dryk

A guy I went to uni with was an exterior design engineer on the Model X. I wonder if he's worked on this at all.

Yeah, 4 is still pushing it a little for me but its the salary vs cost that I cant fathom.
You can reduce the price as much as 10,000 in some states. That isn't factoring in savings on running costs over whatever your current vehicle is. Trust me, I just went through the process with the 2016 Volt.

ascii42

Yeah, 4 is still pushing it a little for me but its the salary vs cost that I cant fathom.

I'm about to buy a $42k car on $78k salary. Even a 5 year loan will be higher than my mortgage+escrow payments, which is a bit funny I suppose. Perhaps not my best financial decision, but I figure if I'm maxing out my 401k contributions I'm doing alright.

Other news includes that there might be just a very few amount of options at the start, and they're focusing on just getting out the cheapest bare-bones model out. More performance or luxury options won't come around till much later.
I think it makes sense for them to do this, though, since they want to expand their market. Model X launching at like $110k (as opposed to its rumored $60-70k price) prices it out of the SUV market, and Model S is also way more expensive than its sticker price once you add options.

Seriously, these are ugllier than most American cars.
635808625258405919-civic9.jpg
Looks like it was already in an accident.

darscot

If you make 70k, you take home about 4.1k a month after taxes give or take depending on your state. Is $650 out of 4.1k really that much?

If you want that over your head for 5 years have at it. You tax brackets are better than ours up here in Canada as I don't think we see 4100 a month. Cars are way to disposable to me, that thing get stolen and recovered and its a lemon your stuck with.

ascii42

Guys, enlighten me, is this cheap enough for people who would have problems with gas taxation? I remember reading a post in that gas tax thread about how only rich people have the money to buy an EV.

I wonder if this is a gamechanger for those people.

A gasoline engine compact car can be had for under $20k new, so not really. And that's not getting into the people who can only afford used cars.

It improves the situation, though.

Really hope the design for this is good. That's pretty much the only thing that can hold it back in my eyes. Musk already said it won't be a weird mobile but if I don't like the design, I figure I could just save up for a Model S.

gcubed

supposed to be 200 mile range-ish again?

35k i assume is base and the model you want is closer to 50k? How bad does cold weather affect the mileage of the model s?

Guys, enlighten me, is this cheap enough for people who would have problems with gas taxation? I remember reading a post in that gas tax thread about how only rich people have the money to buy an EV.

I drive a full EV, and the wife drives a Volt. We aren't rich.

My monthly take home is about 3500.

supposed to be 200 mile range-ish again?

35k i assume is base and the model you want is closer to 50k? How bad does cold weather affect the mileage of the model s?
probably something in the region of a 25% loss if you run cabin heat. Not an issue for the vast majority of drives. I'd expect the Model 3 to use a more efficient heating set up than the Model S uses. Probably a heat pump.

You need to remember that vast majority of Americans live check to check. So yea $650 could be a lot depending on their other expenses.

I've never understood it myself.

I think it makes sense for them to do this, though, since they want to expand their market. Model X launching at like $110k (as opposed to its rumored $60-70k price) prices it out of the SUV market, and Model S is also way more expensive than its sticker price once you add options.

No I agree from a market perspective, it's definitely the way to go. It most likely also makes production much, much easier. I'm sure their priority is to get the smoothest production and rollout possible.

I'm just saying for people in the market in the 40-50k range, it's a bummer there won't be an equivalent model to compete with that luxury sedan market. So far you have the real high end market with great performance, and now the entry level bare bone car. I'm still waiting for that EV 3-series competitor.

ItIsOkBro

If you think about it, if you would have paid $500 in gas a month, the Tesla would save you $500 a month, and with car payments of $500 a month, the car would essentially be free

If you think about it, if you would have paid $500 in gas a month, the Tesla would save you $500 a month, and with car payments of $500 a month, the car would essentially be free

Only if you don't pay for your electricity or exclusive use Tesla's charging network. And they try to discourage people who abuse the charging network, which is there to enable road trips, not replace plugging in at home.

Still, it's almost certainly cheaper than your current running costs. (almost certainly).

Feep

Banned
If I spend, say, $120 a month on gasoline, what would the corresponding increase in my electric bill be by driving a Tesla?

No I agree from a market perspective, it's definitely the way to go. It most likely also makes production much, much easier. I'm sure their priority is to get the smoothest production and rollout possible.

I'm just saying for people in the market in the 40-50k range, it's a bummer there won't be an equivalent model to compete with that luxury sedan market. So far you have the real high end market with great performance, and now the entry level bare bone car. I'm still waiting for that EV 3-series competitor.
I think you can kind of consider an option-less Model S P60 to be around that range. After tax incentives, it should be around $50k.

200 is not high enough for me I think. I don't have a garage to charge overnight anyway but there aren't nearly enough charging stations all over California to justify it to me.

Reportedly 200 is enough for 70 percent of American drivers, compared to 100 being enough for 10 percent. That's why 200 is seen as a magic number.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
A gasoline engine compact car can be had for under $20k new, so not really. And that's not getting into the people who can only afford used cars.

It improves the situation, though.

Oh well, baby steps. I suppose that the upper-middle class will be happy. (I might be wrong since I don't know how much the average uppder middle class family receives in money)

mcfrank

Borrowing 35K when all you make is 70K is fucking crazy and getting in way over your head to a bank. I never said shit about getting a car loan. 5 Years with those numbers is stupidity.

You need to remember that vast majority of Americans live check to check. So yea $650 could be a lot depending on their other expenses.

I've never understood it myself.
If you are living paycheck to paycheck, you probably shouldn't be buying a Tesla. So maybe we are saying the same thing.

Schryver

Any specifics on how these deposits typically work and cancellation? I am tempted to put the 5k down for the hell of it in case I decide I want one when it's finally time

750 miles a month or so, my cost of kWh is tiered, but since this'll be adding to the top, about $0.19 per kWh.

The battery is rumoured to be 50 kwh. So $ (200 *0.19)/(0.80) for your monthly charges. (This is assuming 80% charger efficiency).

Most power companies seem to have offers for EV owners. Off hours on mine for PEV charging is 4cents per kwh. (11 PM to 5 AM).

(PS: Your current car is only at 10mpg?!)

If I spend, say, $120 a month on gasoline, what would the corresponding increase in my electric bill be by driving a Tesla?

I'll just put it like this. I pay about $0.22 a kWh, which is as I understand it is on the high end. But even so, $120 would net me 545 kWhs of electricity. Estimating for vampire and charging losses, I can't imagine the Model 3 being any worse than 4 miles per kWh.

So at what electricity costs me, that would be enough to go 2,180 miles.

Around here right now, gasoline is just shy of $2 a gallon. So *currently* that works out the same as driving a car that gets 36 miles per gallon. That's based on high electricity costs and low gas prices though.

Thanks for all the info, guys. Sounds like something I should wait a bit for. Which works out since it won't be on market for a while anyway. My car will be twenty years old be then, though...

The battery is rumoured to be 50 kwh. So $ (200 *0.19) for your monthly charges.

Most power companies seem to have offers for EV owners. Off hours on mine for PEV charging is 4cents per kwh. (11 PM to 5 AM).

(PS: Your current car is only at 10mpg?!)

He may well be Californian based on those electricity prices and gasoline runnings costs.

In which case 750 miles at 4 mpkWh means 187.5 kWhs of extra use at $0.19 which gives you something in the region of a $36 increase in your monthly electricity bill or an $84 saving.

I would *love* those off hours rates. My costs per kWh are flat. Not likely happening though for me any time soon. I figure I can bring my costs down with solar panels this year though.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I hope they make a compact hatchback model down the line. I mostly just don't want to drive a large car in the city

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom