• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

newjeruse

Will is tonedeaf on a lot of that stuff. He is really good at nitty gritty PC stuff, but I'm dubious about putting stock into his product recommendations.

eznark

Banned
Will is tonedeaf on a lot of that stuff. He is really good at nitty gritty PC stuff, but I'm dubious about putting stock into his product recommendations.

Not particularly. Lloyd is really good at the nitty gritty. When he gets into serious build stuff though, Will kind of fades out while the adults (Norm and Lloyd) talk. Will's an awesome host though!

CrazyDude

While a somewhat fair point, no one is forced to work on any holiday. Request off as early as possible or don't work retail. Seems logical that if you are working in a store you'd be expected to work when customers want to shop. I have slightly more sympathy for employees this Thanksgiving since it's the first time it really has been done, but going forward I have zero.

Not everybody will be able to request a day off. What happens to them? Should those people miss out sharing Christmas with their families? They get screwed over because the companies can't push the day of their big sales day off for another day? Why not take away all of their days off, since you know, people will want to buy things everyday.

eznark

Banned
Not everybody will be able to request a day off. What happens to them? Should those people miss out sharing Christmas with their families? They get screwed over because the companies can't push the day of their big sales day off for another day? Why not take away all of their days off, since you know, people will want to buy things everyday.

Much like every other profession that needs to work on various holidays, they will need to rotate, trade shifts, etc. Or don't go into retail? With any profession, you should have a basic understanding of what is expected. Like I said, since this was the first year that openings have crept into Thanksgiving Day I do understand some of the annoyances from employees. They don't have that excuse going forward. Don't want to work on a holiday? Don't work a job that requires it.

As far as I know, no store is yet opening up on Christmas. Which I find annoying. How will I replenish the booze I drink on Christmas Eve?

CrazyDude

Much like every other profession that needs to work on various holidays, they will need to rotate, trade shifts, etc. Or don't go into retail? With any profession, you should have a basic understanding of what is expected. Like I said, since this was the first year that openings have crept into Thanksgiving Day I do understand some of the annoyances from employees. They don't have that excuse going forward. Don't want to work on a holiday? Don't work a job that requires it.

As far as I know, no store is yet opening up on Christmas. Which I find annoying. How will I replenish the booze I drink on Christmas Eve?

Easy to say get another job when jobs are hard to come by. Why should people take companies treating them like crap? Other professions that do not involve life and death situations and do this are just as bad. The "Find another job" excuse just leads to companies taking more advantage of workers. How will you find a different job when all of them are doing the same thing? I am asking again, why can't the retail stores wait till after thanksgiving to have their big sale like they usually do?

Make sure you stock pile on enough booze the day before. Plan ahead.

eznark

Banned
I certainly never claimed it was easy to get another job. Unfortunately, many of us need to make choices every day and sometimes we don't get to do what we want to do whenever we want to do it.

I will tell you I don't think people should take their employers treating them like crap. If you feel it is unreasonable to work on the evening of Thanksgiving, you shouldn't work for that company any longer. Retail stores don't need to wait until Friday to start their sales simply because they quite literally don't have to. There are obviously thousands of people willing to work that night and hundreds of thousands willing to shop. Looking at the weekend returns, they'd be insane to forego those hours of revenue. Personally I'd like to see demand dry up but it doesn't appear it will anytime soon.

Just as a company has the right to open on Thanksgiving and employees have the right to quit if they don't like it Will has the right to get on his little podcast soap box and complain about it. The whole black friday indignation felt too long winded for me though. If it wasn't for the GAF threads about it I wouldn't have noticed. I slept in most of Friday

The Urban Outfitters video was funny though but thats because I used to go to school next to one and it seemed like the crappiest store around. That was over a decade ago though, I'm sure its different now

Also, still waiting on that comic! This podcast needs show notes.

anyone remember what program will talked about on last weeks BOMBCAST for text on a TV screen? I just got a wireless keyboard/touchpad and wanted to set up my TV for my desktop.

Hanzou

anyone remember what program will talked about on last weeks BOMBCAST for text on a TV screen? I just got a wireless keyboard/touchpad and wanted to set up my TV for my desktop.

Wasn't it called PinnaclePro or something like that?

bionic77

What is the point of Tested if we don't put any stock into their product recommendations? Personally I agree with most of what they say.

Musan

Just as a company has the right to open on Thanksgiving and employees have the right to quit if they don't like it Will has the right to get on his little podcast soap box and complain about it. The whole black friday indignation felt too long winded for me though. If it wasn't for the GAF threads about it I wouldn't have noticed. I slept in most of Friday

The Urban Outfitters video was funny though but thats because I used to go to school next to one and it seemed like the crappiest store around. That was over a decade ago though, I'm sure its different now

Also, still waiting on that comic! This podcast needs show notes.

Here's the comic I believe, it was in the penny arcade thread on the tested forums.

31735-tested1.png

31736-tested2.png

Loxley

That Charlie Brown digi-book actually looked pretty cool, the interactive elements definitely look like something little kids would have fun with.

No_Style

There were a lot of meme worthy moments in the Dec 1 podcast. Especially the moment when Will was going for Norm's hipster bracelet thing he's testing -- it didn't translate well to radio. LOL

Gary if you ever find that fabled lap table you can use your mouse on make sure to tell us about it.

I'm having trouble using my Mouse and Keyboard on my HTPC too.

Walgreens being almost literally the only thing open on Christmas is what led to my tradition of eating Spam on Christmas.

Certainly they're entitled to their opinions about holidays, but as someone who often works on holidays, and likes to lead a holiday-free existence, I appreciate when something is actually open.

bionic77

I finished the Thanksgiving podcast today.

My favorite part was the discussion of the perfect fast food meal. I think I would go with a Chick Fil A spicy chicken sandwich, McDonalds french fries, BK chicken fries, and a Wendy's Frosty.

I was really undecided on the 2nd side and I can alternate between ChickFilA and Popeyes. Thank God I have some self control and eat this delicious garbage less than 2x a year.

eznark

Banned
Latest podcast was a bit of an Apple-cast, at least it felt that way. I love Will saying check out this shit that damns Android (carrier IQ) when Apple phones have the exact same software and are "working on" removing it completely.

Not one of the better shows this week, all in all. Nice to see Gary trying to bring an everyman's opinion of the Fire though. I know a handful of people who either bought one or gave them to a wife and they are universally loved. Is it because they don't know any better? Maybe. But does that matter?

Loxley

Cute asian girls can try their best to woo me to the other side, but the $1,300+ I spent on my shiny new ASUS laptop says I can pronounce it however I want ;)

Aye-suh-ss, motherfuckers.

Not one of the better shows this week, all in all. Nice to see Gary trying to bring an everyman's opinion of the Fire though. I know a handful of people who either bought one or gave them to a wife and they are universally loved. Is it because they don't know any better? Maybe. But does that matter?

It's probably because they don't listen to podcasts where every flaw of the device is pointed out in exacting detail (so I guess the answer would be yes). Things like page latency and the differences between the stores and all that, the average consumer would likely not get that sort of information from a Best Buy employee, assuming they would even care in the first place I guess.

Latest podcast was a bit of an Apple-cast, at least it felt that way. I love Will saying check out this shit that damns Android (carrier IQ) when Apple phones have the exact same software and are "working on" removing it completely.

Also, I found it odd that when Norm said he wished he hadn't bought the 4S because he doesn't use Siri, Will said "SEE!" in the background. Weren't they all bonerific over Siri before they bought the new phones? Or am I misremembering?

bionic77

Also, I found it odd that when Norm said he wished he hadn't bought the 4S because he doesn't use Siri, Will said "SEE!" in the background. Weren't they all bonerific over Siri before they bought the new phones? Or am I misremembering?
Misremembering. Will and Norm were highly skeptical of it from the start.

They only got excited over it during Oktobercast. And that was when they received their phones and were still in the middle of nerdgasm.

I think they have been pretty honest from the start and rightly stated that it is just a toy you play with for a few weeks or months until you get sick of it.

Recon

Banned

They only got excited over it during Oktobercast. And that was when they received their phones and were still in the middle of nerdgasm.

I think they have been pretty honest from the start and rightly stated that it is just a toy you play with for a few weeks or months until you get sick of it.

Yup. They have constantly said if you have an Iphone 4, the 4S isnt a great upgrade.

Aaron

Will has flat out said don't buy the 4S for Siri and that it's basically a toy. He's the sort of person that needs to have the latest tech, but often advises 'Don't do what I do.' Unless it's making some delicious butt stuffing of course.

Recon

Banned
Will has flat out said don't buy the 4S for Siri and that it's basically a toy. He's the sort of person that needs to have the latest tech, but often advises 'Don't do what I do.' Unless it's making some delicious butt stuffing of course.

Will can sure stuff butts full of butt stuffing. On that note, i honestly think Will says certain things now because of the Meme, because some of the things he says are just too perfect. lol

Aaron

Will can sure stuff butts full of butt stuffing. On that note, i honestly think Will says certain things now because of the Meme, because some of the things he says are just too perfect. lol
If it was Norm, it would definitely be on purpose, but I really don't think so with Will. He's the sort of person who runs his mouth and occasionally hilarious things come out.

Okay. Respect returned. Butt-stuffing confirmed.

Vyer

IIRC either Will or Norm said they weren't all that interested in Siri even before they got the phones, so that's fairly consistent.

Seems like the information in the thread here was that the iOS version did none of the keylogging stuff even when it was enabled, but I don't know if that changed. Haven't really kept up with it.

That is true. Personally I don't think it's a 'bad' device at all. But to be fair, those of us listening to Tested or reading blogs or threads probably aren't too interested in an 'everyman' opinion in the first place. At least not if we're buying for ourselves. I wouldn't fault the blogs and tech reviews for giving the information that's expected.

panda21

how come they still havent done anything with the galaxy nexus? i was expecting a quick look live unboxing and stuff or at least some sort of fanfare, but they literally did nothing so far.

is it not out in the US or something? it has been in the europe for a while.

how come they still havent done anything with the galaxy nexus? i was expecting a quick look live unboxing and stuff or at least some sort of fanfare, but they literally did nothing so far.

is it not out in the US or something? it has been in the europe for a while.

This. I think Will said something like this on a podcast too. Wikipedia says Canada will get it on Dec 8th, and seems unsure about the US. Looking at Google News, it seems a lot of US reviews are coming in now though - so maybe Tested have a unit to do a Quick Look wit too.

Aaron

This. I think Will said something like this on a podcast too. Wikipedia says Canada will get it on Dec 8th, and seems unsure about the US. Looking at Google News, it seems a lot of US reviews are coming in now though - so maybe Tested have a unit to do a Quick Look wit too.
They mentioned having trouble getting a test unit from PR. Limited supply.

Xater

The Winter War is currently on sale (for the next 20 minutes) for $4 at amazon

I was interested in checking the book out ever since gary mentioned it. Can someone point me to the right one? Amazon search brings up a couple that are called that.

eznark

Banned
I was interested in checking the book out ever since gary mentioned it. Can someone point me to the right one? Amazon search brings up a couple that are called that.

I picked up the one by Robert Edwards. No idea if that's exactly what they were talking about but honestly, I have almost no knowledge of the invasion so I'm happy with whatever.

sixghost

I picked up the one by Robert Edwards. No idea if that's exactly what they were talking about but honestly, I have almost no knowledge of the invasion so I'm happy with whatever.

I believe it was the one by William Trotter, because Gary made reference to the author writing for PC Gamer at one point, which Trotter did.

They answer a headphones question every week now it seems like. They just need to up the headphone coverage on the site

Also:

@garywhitta Gary Whitta said:
This week's Tested podcast will be HISTORIC, for reasons which will be revealed later.

Guesses?

I bet Gary teases a huge tangent the entire podcast, turns out he found a new flavor of ice cream

Maybe they'll be taking fake questions from tech people through out history.

Example: "hey tested, should I go with VHS or Betamax?"

Will: Betamax for sure.

Top Bottom