• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2015 RPG thread - A weak sequel but still a good year

kswiston

You are simply wrong.

It's probably the squid picture that always gets posted in threads related to the Atelier games. Totori had like 3 fan-servicey voiced over pictures and a couple throw away lines of dialogue in what was a 40 hour game, but that squid picture gets it thrown in with the likes of Hyperdimension Neptunia and whatever Idea Factory happens to pump out. I never finished Meruru, so I can't comment on that one.

Violet_0

Banned
It's probably the squid picture that always gets posted in threads related to the Atelier games. Totori had like 3 fan-servicey voiced over pictures and a couple throw away lines of dialogue in what was a 40 hour game, but that squid picture gets it thrown in with the likes of Hyperdimension Neptunia and whatever Idea Factory happens to pump out. I never finished Meruru, so I can't comment on that one.

well, the game apparently does have swimsuit costumes dlc. Then again, so does Fire Emblem. Never change, Japan

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Nah I'm not worried about fanservice in the Atelier games, the apparent shrill awkwardness-as-comedy just isn't something I enjoy. Wondering if the more recent games have the same sort of thing

Zukuu

Banned
Titles that have a *, I only know about because of this thread. Thanks Duranti-chan.

Will play:
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Backed it and I SO want to play the game. Finished Planescape not too long ago again. Story and setting are stellar, but I so fucking hated the combat. Glad that ToN will feature the much superior turn based approach.

Pillars of Eternity
Backed it and I don't think the game will disappoint. Too many skilled people involved who know what they do. Looking forward to it, although I'm a bit more hyped about Torment.

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
3rd Person Action RPGs are my favorite (sub)-genre. Gothic, Mass Effect, Witcher, you name it. Loved the 'mature' approach of the first two titles, not so much the 'chapter'-area-system approach of the 2nd, but it's still awesome in my books, so it'll be an obvious day 1 for me.

Bloodborne
!"§"%"%&32643564t2w41!%T$need. Looking forward to it the most at the moment, since it's somewhat close and I'm a die hard Souls fan since I imported Demon Souls long before it was officially released in the West. Gimme.

Persona 5
A bit bummed about the reveal of the main protagonist, since I absolutely hate his design, but I'm still very much hyped as fuck for the game. Loved P3 and 4. Hope it'll actually come out this year.

Darkest Dungeon
Recent gameplay has hyped me. I LOVE the art style and dark tone. So sick of 8/16bit pixel-art. Went from 'mhhh intrigued but I don't think I'll buy it' to 'gonna play it' with one gameplay trailer, featuring the witch boss.

Prisonscape
The mature concept makes me overlook the artstyle, which I despise. That says a lot. Will give the game a shot when it comes out. Hope it'll play like I think it'll.

Age of Decadence
Looks a bit 'too oldschool' for its own sake, but if the gameplay and/or story are top notch, I might be swayed.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong
Finished Returns just yesterday. I liked it, but it was way too easy and it turned pretty meh after the halfway point, once you actually identify the killer. The 'murder mystery' was way more compelling than the stuff that followed. Anyway, I will probably play S:HK, IF I get around to play Daggerfall by the time it's released. Since that one features my home city (Berlin), I'll probably play it sooner than later tho.

*Celestian Tales: Old North
Hand drawn is always a plus for me and the characters look actually mature and non-cliched, which is so refreshing after the never ending barrage of cliched jRPG characters I'm so sick off. Need to see some gameplay and story / setting snippets to make up my mind.

*Exanima
Looks intruiging. Have nothing seen about the game so far, apart from a few screen shots I found. Artstyle is very dark and realistic, which I dig. With so little info available, it's impossible to say anything about whether I will end up playing it or not.

*Frontiers
Concept seems interesting, but I'll check the game out again when it's actually released. Developed by a single guy? Wow, but it could also mean the release is a long ways off.

*Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Again, the concept seems interesting, but I fear it'll be a bit 'too' realistic. The combat doesn't look very RPG-ish and I don't know if the story will be interesting enough. Will take another look when it's closer to release and we know more about how the game plays out in the end.

Project Phoenix
I think I backed this, but I can't remember. After seeing some alpha footage, all I can say is "Holy shit what happened?" The game looks bland, bad and uninspired. The artstyle is a fucking joke. Unless they do a 180 and/or have an amazing cast AND story, I will pass. Looks like a cheap IOS/Android game. Wtf.

Trails in the Sky: SC
Will probably play this at some point, but I don't know if it'll be this year, as I want to play part 1 and 2 back to back. Since that means a serious time investment AND I need to be in the moot to stomach some 2D 16 bit atrocity, I'll need to see if I find the opportunity to play them.

Salt and Sanctuary
2D Dark Souls? Color me interested. Need to see more to be sure, as I don't like platformers, but so far it seems to be less about precision jumping and more about how you approach and overcome difficult enemies.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is a PoS, STAY AWAY. (if it's anything like the PSP version).

Zukuu

Banned
Also, what about the promising 2D 'Dark Souls' RPG-Platformer Salt and Sanctuary?
2015 Seems confirmed at this point. PS4 / Vita exclusive.

Salt-and-Sanctuary-367867-full.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLkHA-W8KFA

The plus editions of the Atelier games often have fanservicey costumes added in as DLC.
That's all I can think of what that poster may be talking about.

Denton

Glad to see this thread again.

I am in for Witcher 3 (both GOG and CE) and Kingdom Come ($100 kickstarter), but I expect Kingdom Come in 2016.
Pillars of Eternity are kickstarted, but I will probably get to them sometime during autumn.
Shadowrun gets interest from me, but first I have to play Dragonfall, so Hong Kong will also be on the backburner.
And Bloodborne..I am interested, but I have no desire to get PS4 for only one game, so I might get it in 2016-17 if Sony manages to get enough interesting games out by then.

foamdino

1 week to go for Darkest Dungeon backer key - cannot wait.

PoE looks great, I finally have a machine that should handle Witcher 3 so looking forward to that (but won't be a day 0 for me, I'll just wait for the inevitable steam sale and save some pennies).

Another good year for CRPGs

Momentary

Banned
Does Eitr actually have a confirmed 2015 release date?

My quick searching didn't turn up anything.

I just looked as well. Outside of RPS speculating there is nothing. So I would hold off on it... Especially since there are only 2 guys on the development team.

dude

dude
Mage's Initiation is also slated for 2015. It's an RPG-Adventure hybrid, similar to Quest for Glory. I think it should count!
It raised about 125,000$ in Kickstarter and looks rather promising.

Also, Pillars of Eternity alone makes this year better than 2014. It's going to be that good. I can feel it.

TheMoon

Etrian Mystery Dungeon

Party: Yes
Perspective: top-down
Coop: ?
Structure: ?
Battles:
- Time: TB
- Positioning: Squares
Dialogue:
- Trees: ?
- Checks: ?
Separate Maps:
- World: ?
- Battle: No
Release: April 7, 2015
Platform: 3DS
URL: http://www.atlus.com/etrianmd/

edit: god damnit, while I was researching someone else did it lol

Durante

Mage's Initiation seems like it had an original release date of February 2014. Am I seeing that right?

Also, what about the promising 2D 'Dark Souls' RPG-Platformer Salt and Sanctuary?
What does "seems confirmed" mean? And any ideas on table entries?

I know this doesn't fit the criteria of the OP, but the game I played back in 2001, then again in December 2013, then again in March 2014 will be one of my favorite jRPGs of this year

March?

Was a date given. I'm expecting KH collection to come to PS4 as well some time this year.

dude

dude
Mage's Initiation seems like it had an original release date of February 2014. Am I seeing that right?

It's been pushed back a lot. They started working on it in 2010 I believe.

They're a small international indie team, so I guess it's a hard development. They're the same guys who made the amazing Quest for Glory 2 remake though, so people know they're good for it.

Uthred

I know they dont fit the criteria but I'm happy to see more JRPG's comng to steam with Neptunia Rebirth and Fairy Fencer F later this year. Hoping this is the year we see Atelier games come to PC (so I can regret the unplayed Vita remasters in my backlog ;) )

Salt-and-Sanctuary-367867-full.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLkHA-W8KFA

Love the look of it, the name? Not so much

Reveirg

Weak sequel?

Maybe in sheer quantity, but in quality big titles, much stronger! (Or maybe they just fall within my personal favorite franchises)

I mean...

-Final Fantasy Type-0
-Xenoblade X
-Persona 5
-Tales of Zestiria
-Bloodborne
-Some Falcom goodness (Brandish, Trails in the Sky SC, possibly new Ys and Xanadu Next)

....in the same year!!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Weak sequel to 2014? I think not!

Obviously we don't know the quality of the games yet, but I imagine The Witcher 3, Pillars of Eternity, and Bloodborne alone are going to make this a year to remember for RPGs. Plenty of other great stuff coming, too.

Honestly, I was kind of disappointed by the stuff that came out last year.

Spoit

Yeah, what's up with the thread title? Between Pillars and Witcher 3, 2015 is already shaping up to be one of the best RPG years since like 2000. And then there are maybes like AoD (finally) and torment (unlikely)

Durante

Weak sequel?

Maybe in sheer quantity, but in quality big titles, much stronger!
Big? If you measure it in marketing budget, certainly. Quality? That remains to be seen. And quantity almost certainly goes to 2014.
As I said earlier, last year was amazing.

Matching Might and Magic X, Wasteland 2, Divinity: Original Sin, Legend of Grimrock 2 and Dragonfall is an extremely challenging task, and those are just the standout titles.

It seems like Blackguards 2 for one is already failing to match Blackguards, so chalk that one up for 2014.

In their announcement they said next year:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014...ary-coming-exclusively-to-ps4-vita-next-year/

Salt and Sanctuary
Party: No
Perspective: 2D Side
Coop: ?
Structure: ?
Battles:
- Time: Action
- Positioning: Free
Dialogue:
- Trees: No
- Checks: No
Separate Maps:
- World: ?
- Battle: No
Release: TBA 2015
Platform: PS4,PSV,PC
URL: http://www.ska-studios.com/salt/
Thanks, I'll add it in the next update.

Yeah, what's up with the thread title? Between Pillars and Witcher 3, 2015 is already shaping up to be one of the best RPG years since like 2000.
One of the best years since 2000? Sure, no disagreement from me there. But that's not necessarily enough to match 2014.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Durante, what would be your recommended starting point for the Atelier games? I've always been a bit turned off by the young girls thing, but at least the art style isn't super loli. The games look interesting and you've praised them enough to get me interested.

The thing is, I only have a Vita to play them on. I'd be buying it from the Japanese PSN store, where they're still going for around $50 each. With that in mind, which would you recommend?

Durante

Durante, what would be your recommended starting point for the Atelier games? I've always been a bit turned off by the young girls thing, but at least the art style isn't super loli. The games look interesting and you've praised them enough to get me interested.

The thing is, I only have a Vita to play them on. I'd be buying it from the Japanese PSN store, where they're still going for around $50 each. With that in mind, which would you recommend?
We had this discussion recently in an Atelier thread, and it's quite hard to answer. There are two trilogies, so the first game in each would be the natural starting point. Rorona didn't really qualify for the longest time since it simply wasn't as well-developed mechanically as the other games, but the remake fixed that. So now, potential entry points are either the Rorona remake or Ayesha.

Nonetheless, I personally also think Totori is a good point to jump in. It doesn't really have too many dependencies on Rorona, and it's my personal favourite of the bunch.

Anyway, I don't think you can really go wrong regardless of your choice!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
We had this discussion recently in an Atelier thread, and it's quite hard to answer. There are two trilogies, so the first game in each would be the natural starting point. Rorona didn't really qualify for the longest time since it simply wasn't as well-developed mechanically as the other games, but the remake fixed that. So now, potential entry points are either the Rorona remake or Ayesha.

Nonetheless, I personally also think Totori is a good point to jump in. It doesn't really have too many dependencies on Rorona, and it's my personal favourite of the bunch.

Anyway, I don't think you can really go wrong regardless of your choice!

Thanks! Do you know if the Vita ports are pretty good technically?

Also, you weren't kidding about that Project Phoenix. It sounds pretty cool from the Kickstarter, but man... the footage they've put out looks cheaper than cheap.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I remember reading the Project Phoenix pitch where they said they had a "game design" in mind, but were still thinking about the basic combat mechanics and of course had no assets to show in the KS except some concept art. This was a surefire way to turn me off from backing (well that and the "RTS" part xD). Despite that, they still raised $ 1+ mil, because they had big names attached to it probably.

Xenoblade itself already makes this a better year than last.
Throw in Bloodborne, Trails in the Sky SC and hopefully English releases for Persona 5 and the new Fire Emblem and it'll be a GOAT year.

Almighty

Crazy talk. Pillars of Eternity will make 2015 a better year then 2014 all by itself. Then we have Disgaea 5, Persona 5, Shadowrun: Hong Kong, and The Witcher 3 on top of that. We are not even done yet either based on your OP as I have my eye on Cosmic Star Heroine, Age of Decadence, and Serpent in the Staglands as well. Mage's Initiation is also on my list, but while I am hopeful it hits in 2015 I can't say that it will. Based on their progress report there is a good chance though. Also anyone who think Torment is hitting in 2015 is crazy.

Anyway as for this Atelier talk well I took some people's advice in another thread and started with Totori and I am really enjoying the game. Once I got past the idea of running around as some frilly little anime girl that is. It also help that so far at least the game has kept the creepy Japanese fan servicey stuff to a minimum. It actually pretty mild on that front and I consider my tolerance for that kind of stuff to be pretty low.

Saphirax

Thanks! Do you know if the Vita ports are pretty good technically?

Also, you weren't kidding about that Project Phoenix. It sounds pretty cool from the Kickstarter, but man... the footage they've put out looks cheaper than cheap.

They have some FPS drops when stuff is loading, but I believe the PS3 versions have the same?

As someone who played Ayesha first, I recommend you try Rorona or Totori for your first Atelier game. Ayesha just didn't click for me, the alchemy system seemed somewhat...odd.

Not much stuff of interest to me. I still haven't beat Persona 3 so I'm not going to touch 5 before I beat 3. Cosmic Star Heroine captures my attention a little bit.

Varna

I really do hope PoE turns out to be something special. I desperately need something like it in my live at this point. I've lost track of how much time I've put into all the Infinity engine games... embarrassing amount no doubt. All the games are just so damn good and I can always go back to them.

EDIT: Kind of not feeling too well about the The Witcher 3. Honestly, looking at that inventory screen... they really didn't learn much from TW2. I've been on a media blackout (not even my intention, I just don't have much interest in it) and from the bits of pieces I've seen it doesn't look like it plays much different from TW2. Some of the worse combat I've ever experience.

Dresden

Pillars of Eternity, Age of Decadence, Underrail. And Shadowrun: Hong Kong, playing Dragonfall DC right now and it's rad as fuck.

Despera

Banned
Bloodborne, Persona 5, Xenoblade Chronicles X, The Witcher 3 and the new Fire Emblem... Not to mention Shadowrun: Hong Kong and Pillars of Eternity.

A weak what now? lol

vocab

Buying:
Pillars
Torment
Serpent in staglands.
Shadowrun Hong Kong
Witcher 3
EOMD

Maybe :
StarCrawlers
Underrail
Age of decadence
Operation abyss

Probably not:
Persona 5.
Bloodborne

Definitely not:
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

the jrpgs i like are barely present this year...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I was surprised by a JRPG having dialogue checks, but just thought "hey, innovation!". Fixed.

I was like Japan actually wants to have role playing in their game?

*ducks*

Also I'll play Atelier when it comes to PC, which is probably never. Dont play many console titles anymore.

the jrpgs i like are barely present this year...

Keeping my fingers crossed for a western localization of Stranger in Sword City, it may have the potential to save 2015 in regards to jrpg.

Edit : otherwise, I would like to take advantage of the topic to thanks Durante for his M&M10. I'm at the temple of Elemental Evilness, getting my ass kicked by the great green one, and after a rocky start the game is really incredible. I'm honestly surprised by how reckless the devs have been when setting the difficulty of the game.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a western localization of Stranger in Sword City, it may have the potential to save 2015 in regards to jrpg.

umm what.....I don't think anyone would say 2015 needs saving in regards to its jrpgs. In fact people are getting excited due to there being so many quality jrpgs.

Durante

Interesting to see a few quite negative posts about FF Type-0 in this thread, I thought it was well received (no idea about the game really).

Edit : otherwise, I would like to take advantage of the topic to thanks Durante for his M&M10. I'm at the temple of Elemental Evilness, getting my ass kicked by the great green one, and after a rocky start the game is really incredible. I'm honestly surprised by how reckless the devs have been when setting the difficulty of the game.
And now it didn't sell, and they don't get to make another one.

That's the reward for making a great, challenging game.

Dumb question. Is Yakuza fit for your broad definition of RPG Durante? Because if so, there's Yakuza 5 coming...

Interesting to see a few quite negative posts about FF Type-0 in this thread, I thought it was well received (no idea about the game really).
I think it's mostly the price =X

Type-0 is pretty good. I have 100 or so hours in-game and it's still pretty fun.

Arulan

Another excellent thread for what is sure to be an excellent year. I find it a little futile to be comparing the year to the last when so much of it depends on how well these games actually turn out to be. That said, it does have a lot to live up to.

Pillars of Eternity is the clear standout, but I have very high hopes for UnderRail, Serpent in the Staglands, Shadowrun: Hong Kong, and Age of Decadence. Torment: Tides of Numenera is obviously not coming out this year, otherwise, yeah... Grimoire, well, assuming it's not vapourware, and actually comes out, which is a large assumption, is likely to be excellent. This year is looking fantastic, and I still have to catch up on some 2014 RPGs.

Last year was the year of the WRPG this year will be the year of the JRPG.

I mean Xenoblade X, Persona 5, Tales Of Zestria, Oreshika 2, Disgaea 5, Trails in the Sky chapter 2, maybe another Legend of Heroes game, Bloodborne, Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Type-0.

And then on the western side there's The Witcher 3, Shadowrun Hong Kong, Pillars of Eternity and maybe Tides of Numera but I'm not hopeful for this one.
It's going to be a glorious year for me.

Fjordson

Good work, Durante sir.

I'm quite excited for Shadowrun: Hong Kong. Just seems like Harebrained has a really good handle on where they're going with the series. The Kickstarter has gone really well with the funding and the smart stretch goals, and everything in the game they've talked about has sounded great.

Also pretty hyped for Cosmic Star Heroine. Backed that on KS and really loved the demo footage they put out last month.

Top Bottom