• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3DS version of Zelda Ocarina of Time is amazing.

blamite

Great remake, but I always had problems with the 3D that I didn't have in other games, mainly weird "ghost" images (I don't know what the technical term would be) where I'd see a transparent copy of certain objects off to the side, especially in dark areas (the moon always had this problem, for example).

It was the first 3DS game I ever played though, so it's possible I've just adjusted to seeing games in 3D over time, but even then, everything else on the system worked noticeably better in 3D.

spanks

Yeah, imagine all that effort and then selling like WW HD. I don't think that's a good idea. And I'd rather have these games portable since I played them on consoles first.

It doesn't seem like it would be much work to port some modern shaders into the game. Even just streaming the areas so that there's no loading would enhance the game immensely. Then again, I'm no programmer.

It doesn't seem like it would be much work to port some modern shaders into the game. Then again, I'm no programmer.
To make it look acceptable for WiiU standards I imagine it'd be a lot of work yeah. The geometry especially will need to be drastically improved. Part of the elegance of the OoT 3D remaster is that they didn't have to do a ton of reworking to make it look fantastic in portable format. IMO they're much better off reserving those resources for the next brand new console Zelda game, which is what I imagine they're doing, anyway.

I loved every moment of it, playing through it again.
I would have loved it if they had got it running at 60FPS.
It's time to start busting out 60FPS for the -hopefully inevitable- Majora's Mask.
  • They could get it to 60FPS

What the fuck am I reading here? Are people still banging on about needing 60fps for every game to enjoy it more?

Dice//

Banned
I always forget how shitty the N64 version looked, and how, by comparison, awesome the 3DS version is.

Still, some of the level design is...pretty simple. The dungeons are great though (well, not the child ark).

An update so good is makes my N64 cartridge obsolete, I will miss pointy nosed Adult Link and his shocked expression but I don't think there's any going back now.

mm3dsmockupsmall.jpeg

Soon.........
I would actually preorder that baller purple 3DS

VLiberty

This will be my first 3d Zelda. better late than never i guess

Though I loved Starfox Adv(but never finished; I'd buy a 3ds-make in a heartbeat) so I think I'll go safe with it

nkarafo

As much as i'd love a 3DS remake of Majora's Mask, i would rather see it on WiiU. Majora's Mask is a very atmospheric game and its much darker than Ocarina overall so a big TV with a nice speaker setup will benefit the game even more than the 3D effect of the tiny 3DS screen. Plus, the extra power of the WiiU will allow for an even prettier remake. And you still have the extra screen for all the UI elements, plus the off-TV play.

Somehow, i think Majora will be tiresome as a handheld game and the 3DS itself isn't the most comfortable device i ever held.

It's a good remake. But it made me realize how far games have come and how nostalgia doesn't do much for me anymore. Game has not aged well.

Made me realise that games have in fact gotten worse. I still keep worrying that it's nostalgia, although if people are saying they played it for the first time recently and still loved it then it can't be.

Holy crap.

This much more of a remake than I thought. I assumed it was a lame 1:1 port when it came out.

tumblr_lhg9eoO4RB1qa4sgyo1_500.jpg

ngower

I've never played Ocarina of Time. Waiting for it to drop in price before picking it up.

(Please be gentle)

gngf123

I've never played Ocarina of Time. Waiting for it to drop in price before picking it up.

(Please be gentle)

It is a highly rated Nintendo game. That's pretty much a recipe for not going down in price very fast. Hell, even Mario Kart DS still goes for £15-20.

But seriously, it is worth buying it. It is the best version of one of the greatest games ever made.

Jackano

(Please be gentle)

You missed the digital price reduction for something like two weeks last year. You better go to a second-handed one at retail then.

ramparter

Banned
I´d love to play a definitive version of Donkey Kong 64 that throws all the bullshit out the window and condenses the good into one tight package.

....oh and Majora´s Mask of course !
Can't be quoted enough. DK64 is maybe the best example of "could have been" games. So much awesome content ruined by few wrong decisions...

gngf123

Then don't turn on full 3d, but leave the slider midway. I only had ghosting once or twice.

I get very visible ghosting near constantly even with the 3D slider set fairly low. This occurs in every game, even 3D land which most people cite as one of the best uses for it yet. It is not just my 3DS either as I have tested with multiple units, both with the original model and the XL.

It seems to be something some people see more than others.

rjc571

Banned
What the fuck am I reading here? Are people still banging on about needing 60fps for every game to enjoy it more?

This is the second time I've seen you lose your shit over people wanting games to run at higher framerates.

Perhaps it's time for you to find a new hobby.

ive had this for ages but held off from playng it till I get an XL. is this silly?

I've played it on the regular 3DS and the XL... looks better on the original 3DS imo

(Please be gentle)

First party Nintendo games don't go on sale often, and even rarer do they drop in price... Hell they don't even do the million seller reprints anymore do they? (in before "do they sell millions of anything anymore?")

Going to buck the trend here, I preferred ALBW over OoT 3D. OoT 3D is great of course, but I just prefer the 2D Zelda style. The only problem I had with ALBW is just that it's soooo daaaaamn short. 12 hours my first play through and I by no means rushed it.

3D in OoT3D adds little to the game, I prefer having it off (doing so enables a minor, but noticable AA)

Asbear

Banned
Considering it was a remake made from the ground-up I was massively impressed, too!
I'd still play that over ALBW to any day, despite both being super great games.

I think the only thing that got worse in the remake compared to the original, though, was the animations. Rolling snapped back to the running/standing animation in a "snap" which looked weird, and his backflipping looked like he was about to levitate etc.

It was still impressive to see it, not just because it's a remake but also because it really utilizes some of the 3DS's technically advanced features. I recall seeing some really slick-looking pixel-shading on the walls in several of the dungeons. It's like the 3DS can do some effects better than the PS3 or Xbox 360 in some regards.

Wolfe

I've played it on the regular 3DS and the XL... looks better on the original 3DS imo

Everything looks better on the og 3DS due to the pixel density, same thing with GBA and GB Micro. I still prefer a larger screen in both instances (although I do appreciate the crisper sharper visuals of the smaller screens.)

Banned
Yes, yes it is. I can't go back to the N64 version anymore after playing the 3DS version. Now we just need Majora's mask remake.

Majestad

Banned
Reposting this:

Those who played the 3DS game, did you remember the audio having some issues during some fights, like there's a cracking noise when you hit something? It has hapenned to me a few times with and without headphones. I don't remember this ever happening when I played the game on my launch 3DS. I'm plating the game on the XL.

bumpkin

I hate to admit it, but the 3DS version was the first time I played through the game, ever. I think when it came out on N64, I had already gone full-speed ahead on the PlayStation train and had sold my N64. I tried it once for like 15-20 minutes years after it came out, couldn't get into it. It just didn't click.

Although ALTTP is still *the* pinnacle of the series for me, Ocarina was enjoyable and looked fantastic on 3DS. I'd be there day one for an enhanced remake of Majora's Mask.

Wiz

I enjoyed playing through this version just as much as I did the first time I played it on the N64. Such a timeless game.

Can't wait for Majora's Mask. C'mon, we all know it's coming. Hopefully this year with Wii U Zelda next year.

I sold this game before putting an hour or two into it. Just didn't see myself going through the entire game a second time just so I could unlock Master Quest mode, which is all I wanted.

Robin64

Reposting this:

Those who played the 3DS game, did you remember the audio having some issues during some fights, like there's a cracking noise when you hit something? It has hapenned to me a few times with and without headphones. I don't remember this ever happening when I played the game on my launch 3DS. I'm plating the game on the XL.

The 3DS XL has weaker speakers than the 3DS due to how they are made. Some sounds and levels can cause them grief.

tanooki27

It helps the 3d effect. that's why ALBW looks so fresh.

it also makes the visuals smoother and less blurry. so...absolutely yes, 60 fps makes games more enjoyable.

Xeno_V

Yes, yes it is. I can't go back to the N64 version anymore after playing the 3DS version. Now we just need Majora's mask remake.

I couldn't go back to the N64 version even before playing the 3DS version.
I really loved the 3DS version though, it was the first time that I replayed the game, and it still was a wonderful experience approx. 15 years later...

I am so waiting for MM, back in the day I remember that I did not want to play it just because I knew that there were some time restrictions.... oh well this time I will do the right thing by playing the hell out of this game.

Majestad

Banned
The 3DS XL has weaker speakers than the 3DS due to how they are made. Some sounds and levels can cause them grief.

I see how that can happen when the music is playing through the speakers, but it also happens to me while using headphones.

Hylian7

Someone post that room in the Shadow Temple where there were the two crossed boards and a bloodstain on the floor in the original, and in the remake there is blood all over the walls that looks more faded like it was there a long time.

This and fire emblem were my favorite 3DS games.
If I could have changed anything about the Ocarina remake it would be orchestrated music.
Played through original and master quest.

Nintendo made a really lame multiplayer mode on fire emblem. I guess what I was expecting was more like advance wars multiplayer.

I wasn't a big fan of it personally. This is usually the case of home console ports to portables though. My number one complaint though is how they made the Water Temple so much easier to navigate.

Lernaean

Banned
OoT 3D is indeed amazing, they did and excellent job porting it to 3DS.
That's of course why we all salivate over the thought of MM 3D :)

Holy crap.

This much more of a remake than I thought. I assumed it was a lame 1:1 port when it came out.

Apart from specific scenes like this, most buildings from the inside and character models, it basically feels like the N64 game with newer textures put over the old shit. Then when playing it, it definitely made much more of a difference than I thought it would judging from screens at first, and the 3D effect is great too (but there's some awkward looking minor parts too, where the N64 geometry still shines through)

I really hate that you have to finish the game to open up Master Quest. I've had a save file right before the second dungeon for like a year now. I can't bring myself to play the regular game again just to jump right back into it a second time. Tedium will set in right away.

Volotaire

I sold this game before putting an hour or two into it. Just didn't see myself going through the entire game a second time just so I could unlock Master Quest mode, which is all I wanted.

I really hate that you have to finish the game to open up Master Quest. I've had a save file right before the second dungeon for like a year now. I can't bring myself to play the regular game again just to jump right back into it a second time. Tedium will set in right away.

Is there no way to copy a save file with an unlocked Master Quest?

Top Bottom