• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3DS version of Zelda Ocarina of Time is amazing.

Someone post that room in the Shadow Temple where there were the two crossed boards and a bloodstain on the floor in the original, and in the remake there is blood all over the walls that looks more faded like it was there a long time.

I wanna see this!

Miletius

Played through this 2x (regular and master quest) recently. It is indeed god-like. The master quest kind of wore on me towards the end, but I think it's because of fatigue of playing through the game basically twice.

This game was the reason why I paid 250€ for a 3DS. I only regret it because I bought it after thinking "well, it seems Nintendo won't be making a Zelda 3DS after all, as there are no announcements and the game is out in two weeks".

... Wrong.

Nia

I'm also replaying it myself. It is an excellent remake to be sure, with great touches to the locations. However, in some cases the atmosphere is lost, like the courtyard areas of the Forest Temple, which have sunny skies instead of misty ones, and the Bottom of the Well, which is considerably more sterile. There's also the Ganon battle that was already mentioned, but other than that it is a worthy remake.

I'm also replaying it myself. It is an excellent remake to be sure, with great touches to the locations. However, in some cases the atmosphere is lost, like the courtyard areas of the Forest Temple, which have sunny skies instead of misty ones, and the Bottom of the Well, which is considerably more sterile. There's also the Ganon battle that was already mentioned, but other than that it is a worthy remake.

Lost atmosphere is made up by increased FPS.

NTom64

Fantastic game, if just for the increased convenience brought on by the new menu system.

The Water Temple alone was improved immensely by it.

Grief.exe

It was a superb remake, very well done.

Removing the blurry static 2D areas for places like Castle Town and rendering them fully was awesome.

Z3D6.jpg

That is some amazing work.

rjc571

Banned
Yeah, you should feel sorry for those who experienced it when it was a truly revolutionary game.

Why would I feel sorry for someone who played OoT in 2D in 1998 when there was no other way to play it back then? I'm specifically referring to the people who bought OoT 3D but played it in 2D due to their fear of/inability to see stereoscopic 3D.

Roto13

It was a superb remake, very well done.

Removing the blurry static 2D areas for places like Castle Town and rendering them fully was awesome.

Z3D6.jpg

It's so weird how bland the exterior of the Happy Mask shop looked in the original. I could see the regular shops being inconspicuous but that one shop should be a lot more colourful and stuff. :p

I'm specifically referring to the people who bought OoT 3D but played it in 2D due to their fear of/inability to see stereoscopic 3D.

But the 3D wasn't great in the game. Believe me I tried on many occasions but there were a few things holding it back...

Primarily it ate battery like no one's business. On the original 3DS (there were no alternatives at the time) it did quite a number on my battery. Secondarily, it introduced graphical issues (ghosting in dark areas). Thirdly there was just very little that came right out and stood out when using it. The game was never designed for 3D, so there was nothing that intentionally "popped".

Fourth and finally, there is AA when you have 3D off, and it makes a world of difference. Not only does it remove the "stair step" effect nicely, it also doesn't have the "shimmer" effect you see in a lot of 3D titles (most notably, look at the "leaves" on the trees. In one eye a "leaf" will be visible, in the other eye it won't which causes a shimmering effect as your brain tries to interpret what it's seeing). This is mostly due to the system's low resolution and very little you could do about it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
But the 3D wasn't great in the game. Believe me I tried on many occasions but there were a few things holding it back...

Primarily it ate battery like no one's business. On the original 3DS (there were no alternatives at the time) it did quite a number on my battery. Secondarily, it introduced graphical issues (ghosting in dark areas). Thirdly there was just very little that came right out and stood out when using it. The game was never designed for 3D, so there was nothing that intentionally "popped".

Fourth and finally, there is AA when you have 3D off, and it makes a world of difference. Not only does it remove the "stair step" effect nicely, it also doesn't have the "shimmer" effect you see in a lot of 3D titles (most notably, look at the "leaves" on the trees. In one eye a "leaf" will be visible, in the other eye it won't which causes a shimmering effect as your brain tries to interpret what it's seeing). This is mostly due to the system's low resolution and very little you could do about it.

Not only AA, there seems to be some AF going on with 3D turned off, go to Hyrule Field for example, compare with 3D on and off, there's definitely more texture clarity when the 3D is off.

Roto13

Guys, don't be dramatic. Ghosting only happened when you went through places like doors in the Lost Woods.
how has this not happened already? how?...

They said they wanted to get an original Zelda out on 3DS before doing another remake and that happened in November. So it's not really crazy that we haven't seen Majora's Mask 3D yet.

Not only AA, there seems to be some AF going on with 3D turned off, go to Hyrule Field for example, compare with 3D on and off, there's definitely more texture clarity when the 3D is off.

I'll have to check that later, haven't touched the game much since I beat it and nearly beat it again in master's quest mode.

rjc571

Banned
Yeah, I don't see how anti-aliasing trumps OMG I'M STARING INTO THE SCREEN AND THERE'S LEAVES AND PARTICLES AND SHIT POPPING OUT AND NAVI JUST FLEW INTO MY FACE HOLY FUCK!, anyway.

georly

God dammit now i have to beat this game again! That said, I am due for my annual 'beat ocarina of time' ritual.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
was expecting a screenshot of Castle Town remodeled, it truly says it all about how good of a remake OOT 3D is

Skilletor

Yeah, I don't see how anti-aliasing trumps OMG I'M STARING INTO THE SCREEN AND THERE'S LEAVES AND PARTICLES AND SHIT POPPING OUT AND NAVI JUST FLEW INTO MY FACE HOLY FUCK!, anyway.

I don't think 3D ever had that effect on me. Was annoying, had too much crosstalk, and made the game run worse.

I must have good eyes, I never really had a problem with crosstalk in this game. If it was there, I never really noticed it.

P.S. I've been waiting to play Majora's Mask for the first time until a remake comes out. I NEED THIS TO HAPPEN SOON.

Mlatador

Banned
Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D is the best & most faithful Remake of a videgame ever and on an equal footing with Resident Evil 1 Remake for GC.

Grief.exe

Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D is the best & most faithful Remake of a videgame ever and on an equal footing with Resident Evil 1 Remake for GC.

I think the lowered resolutions and aspect ratios of Vita/3DS would make a perfect transition for Remake.

Would love to see it on other platforms as I haven't had a chance to play it yet, I am currently on the look out for a copy for emulation purposes. Game Cube games are becoming quite expensive though.

Yes it is, and you're right, Majora's Mask would also be amazing. Nintendo really needs to get on the stick and make that happen already.

LastNac

I bought this and a 3DS the day it was released. Then there was an $80 price drop, I became salty, and have't gone back since.

Waiting to see if there really is a MM themed 3DS XL.

I must have good eyes, I never really had a problem with crosstalk in this game. If it was there, I never really noticed it.

Cross talk has nothing to do with how good or bad your eyes are, it has to do with limitations of the 3D hardware. It could simply be that your eyes are the perfect distance apart from each other (this plays a HUGE role in all forms of 3D displays, including VR headsets). Or that your comfortable rest position for holding the console coincides with the perfect distance for viewing.

SmokyDave

The fact that they removed the little jingle that played when you flipped through the menu screens bummed me out. Apart from that, it's as great as it ever was.

P.S. I've been waiting to play Majora's Mask for the first time until a remake comes out. I NEED THIS TO HAPPEN SOON.
I definitely had a problem with crosstalk on my OG 3DS. Haven't replayed it on the XL yet.

What the hell do people mean when saying Wind Waker HD was terrible in comparison to this?

I thought both were fantastic upgrades that basically made the previous versions obsolete.

What the hell do people mean when saying Wind Waker HD was terrible in comparison to this?

I thought both were fantastic upgrades that basically made the previous versions obsolete.

This. Ocarina's models needed to be updated; Wind Waker's didn't--and they still much improved how that game looked anyway.

From a gameplay perspective, Wind Waker benefited far more than Ocarina did.

Neiteio

I'd also love a 1080p WiiU eShop version of this with in-game Miiverse integration (like the Tingle Bottles in TWWHD).

Mit-

It is on the walls too. Really drives home how that is supposed to be an execution room. Well done Grezzo!
I think the original did a better job of driving that home, lol. It's pretty clear Grezzo was likely told to tone down some of the gory themes of rooms like this. The blood is blatant and apparent in the N64 version.

Pretty sure Ganon coughed up the green blood at the end in the remake as well. The red blood was awesome in the original, especially when Link is slicing his face up at the end.

It's 30FPS.

Still a big step over the originally 16/20fps.

They didn't quite capture the creepiness of Dead Hand for me

Dead_Hand_3D.jpg

How was this game an E again?

ocarina_of_time_poster_by_matthugh1000-d3d519s.jpg

Yeah I hate how Dead Hand looks in the 3DS version... but I'm happy they kept the blood on the floors in the execution rooms.

zlCfzRoVlXQryFmTKQ

Still, the blood in the walls in the well is lacking. Maybe it's because the room was flooded?

Pretty sure Ganon coughed up the green blood at the end in the remake as well. The red blood was awesome in the original, especially when Link is slicing his face up at the end.

Only the original release of OoT had Ganon with red blood. It was changed to green in version 1.1 and stayed that way through every release since.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocarina_of_time#Development

Several versions of Ocarina of Time were produced, with later revisions featuring minor changes such as glitch repairs, the recoloring of Ganondorf's blood from crimson to green, and the alteration of the music heard in the Fire Temple dungeon to remove a sample of an Islamic prayer chant.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
If its that, then the blood would be entirely removed. I think they removed the blood in the well because it's more logical. I mean it was flooded so how could the blood on the walls excisting?

They did it to the shadow temple as well.

Basically got rid of the blood but left faint stains.

Top Bottom