• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The all-singing, all-dancing Revolution speculation and/or news thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
JetSetHero said:
It's not a rumour, it's just that some websites, ie *****, can't keep their mouths shut when they're told something in confidence. Next time they won't be told anything in confidence :)

Well the german guy who interviewed molineux and naka had this to say about s p o n g:

Revolution will be revealed at TGS
Hi everyone. Sorry for the technical problems on my site. Random Nintendo even has an article up on that. I will recover any lost content as soon as I get ´round to it. Only this morning, I returned from the ´Marc Ecko´s Getting up´ event in New York, so I´m jetlagged like hell and have loads of stuff to do in the newsroom. In the meantime, however, there is big news over at the British gaming site *****. They claim:

insert original sp*ng text here.

I have just spoken to the author of the article and I can tell yout that this information is undoubtedly accurate. As far as I could tell from our conversation, he is a reliable journalist with excellent contacts in the industry. He couldn´t name his source, naturally. But his contact is a highly placed employee at Nintendo of Europe. He also confirmed that Nintendo is selecting key media to invite to Tokyo for the event.

Now, you may wonder if he actually knows about the controller features as well. He does not. At least, he is not interested in talking about that. And I understand that. I´m sure we all agree: revealing the controller features prematurely could hurt Nintendo - revealing the date when Nintendo plans to reveal them does not. I´m just glad that, finally, the age of all the fakers like Seriousgamer is over. Finally we get some reliable information and can look forward to a definite date.

posted by Falafelkid at 10:04 AM 32 comments

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Bluemercury said:
I have just spoken to the author of the article and I can tell yout that this information is undoubtedly accurate. As far as I could tell from our conversation, he is a reliable journalist with excellent contacts in the industry. He couldn´t name his source, naturally. But his contact is a highly placed employee at Nintendo of Europe. He also confirmed that Nintendo is selecting key media to invite to Tokyo for the event.
So where is the TGS' GAF/Nintendo Party going to be held?

IIRC, when Iwata gave a keynote speech at the '03 TGS, he didn't really announce much, and people were expecting more. He mostly spoke about the history and state of the industry... much to the delight of GAF.

neptunes

I don't know about revolution, but Iwata is supposed to go more in-depth about nintendo Wifi-Connection, where dynasty warriors ds will be shown.

Is it possible for nintendo to hold their own press conference at any point during the fall season?

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
"Well the german guy who interviewed molineux and naka had this to say about s p o n "

Nobody outside of Nintendo has seen anything, but journos have been told what to expect and when to expect it. ***** make it out to be some world exclusive story, but it's not cos loads of people know about it. It's just that ***** decided to say something when they weren't suposed to.

Juice

neptunes said:
Is it possible for nintendo to hold their own press conference at any point during the fall season?

Possible, but expensive and no way they'd get as much attention from it as from a standard show. That's what happens when you don't own the market anymore, you actually have to pack up and go to fucking trade shows

*snaps fingers in mock disappointment*

JetSetHero said:
"Well the german guy who interviewed molineux and naka had this to say about s p o n "

Nobody outside of Nintendo has seen anything, but journos have been told what to expect and when to expect it. ***** make it out to be some world exclusive story, but it's not cos loads of people know about it. It's just that ***** decided to say something when they weren't suposed to.

So you're confirming the spounge story???

hehe ... I think it's funny that threads with nothing in the way of facts grow huge, but when its unvieling is now pretty much confirmed no one seems to care.

Speculation>>>>>truth. :lol :lol

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think people are suffering megaton-fatigue :)

The keynote is about Nintendo's past and future, so some new Revolution info would make sense. And it's around the time of Mario's 20th anniversary, so showing next-gen Mario would make sense as well.

But 50 minutes isn't very long, so how big this is going to be I don't know.

polg

JetSetHero said:

Could the fact that ***** published something they shouldn't have modify/cancel/affect that presentation?

Juice

citrus lump said:
hehe ... I think it's funny that threads with nothing in the way of facts grow huge, but when its unvieling is now pretty much confirmed no one seems to care.

Speculation>>>>>truth. :lol :lol

I came in here to post that. THis thread's been open for a couple days and isn't a full two pages yet.

I think we're all just pretty specualted-out. For once I think we should let the rumors die down and just wait for Nintendo to show it. I'm really anxious to see it, but I'm pretty sure that collectively, we at GAF have thought more about the design of the Revolution than Nintendo has.

Wow. That's sad, but probably true.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
Juice said:
I came in here to post that. THis thread's been open for a couple days and isn't a full two pages yet.

I think we're all just pretty specualted-out. For once I think we should let the rumors die down and just wait for Nintendo to show it. I'm really anxious to see it, but I'm pretty sure that collectively, we at GAF have thought more about the design of the Revolution than Nintendo has.

Sad, isn't it :(
What chance has Nintendo got of living upo to all that hype…

StRaNgE

Banned
Sept 16th?? oh man that sucks for me i will be gone to a trade show of my own and busy with after parties till that monday after.

guess i'll be going through pages of back post to find out the new info.

hopefully if there really is some stuff released (mario footage/ controller) it will be tacked in replacement of this thread.

JetSetHero said:

Well you did say we'll like what we see. I admit my own personal hype has peaked several times, but that's what us ninty fans do- keep setting ourselves up for the big fall. :lol

Personally if they show some decent footage, I'll be happy. I figure even if the controller is unveiled, it'll be a year before something REALLY takes advantage of it-ala the DS. Unfortunatly I won't get my grubby hands on it before launch.:(

lordmrw

JetSetHero said:

The only hype there is is what the fans have created in their own minds. When you start to do that, you've already set yourself up for disappoint. Which is why I go into everything with an open mind.

Ruzbeh

Banned
citrus lump said:
I figure even if the controller is unveiled, it'll be a year before something REALLY takes advantage of it-ala the DS.
I think there will be at least one good title at launch that will make great use of it. I'm betting it's not so radical like the DS touchscreen so it will be easier to make good use of it. Miyamoto said the interface would work great with games like Pikmin. Sooo I'm thinking it's something that can be used to enhance traditional games, rather than just change the way games are played, like the DS.

My main fear about the system is that, game-wise, it'll be more of the same. I love Nintendo, and I'm excited for the news, but I don't know -- none of the games from the GCN rank as my all-time favorites, which is a first for a Nintendo system. The mindset of the company has seemed stuck in the past. Hopefully we see them reveal a new Maro AND several new franchises. I remember when they revealed the lauch lineup for the Cube, it seemed EXACTLY like the N64 lineup - a Star Wars shooter, and updates of a few first party games. That trend has to change.

Most of my friends who are casual gamers stayed away from N64 and the Cube. A lot of their complaints were about the controllers, which are getting weirder and weirder. So I hope the controller isn't TOO out there.

Mallrat83

Banned
dlobro1080 said:
Most of my friends who are casual gamers stayed away from N64 and the Cube. A lot of their complaints were about the controllers, which are getting weirder and weirder. So I hope the controller isn't TOO out there.
There was really nothing weird about the cube controller apart from the oversized 'A' button.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Juice said:
I'm really anxious to see it, but I'm pretty sure that collectively, we at GAF have thought more about the design of the Revolution than Nintendo has.

I always thought Nintendo fans should spend more time going through the motions to get into the industry than talking about games on a message boards. They are always full of ideas. Too bad Nintendo won't allow non-asians on the design team.

>>There was really nothing weird about the cube controller apart from the oversized 'A' button.<<

I think the controller is fine for Mario, Zelda, and the like, but for sports games it's pretty awkward -- from the digital pad placement to the button layout to the strange shoulder buttons.

dlobro1080 said:
>>There was really nothing weird about the cube controller apart from the oversized 'A' button.<<

I think the controller is fine for Mario, Zelda, and the like, but for sports games it's pretty awkward -- from the digital pad placement to the button layout to the strange shoulder buttons.

It was quite good for WE6FE.

Ok ,here is my baseless speculation. Iwata will go through his speech, showing clips of nintendo games past and present. Then a new *beautiful* mario demo will play. As the demo is going Miyamoto will apper with controller in hand- he's controlling the demo. :D

People will say "WOW" :lol

There, now maybe this post will jumpstart crazyness- and this thread will stop dragging.

Spike

Any chance that maybe the feature has something to do with voice recognition?

George Lucas stated that he wants to push the voice recognition side of videogames in a recent interview. Seing as Lucasarts is onboard, maybe this is a hint?

Also, the interface has to apply for both gamers and non-gamers. So wouldn't voice recognition help to ease even new game players into the games?

Anyways, I don't really care either way. I am willing to give Iwata the benefit of the doubt, though. This will be his vision, and not Yamauchi's. For the other systems, they stemmed from the Yamauchi era, so he came onboard dealing with the Cube. At least he did manage to get some fairly solid third-party relations going. Hopefully, this will translate into further/bigger support for the Rev.

citrus lump said:
Ok ,here is my baseless speculation. Iwata will go through his speech, showing clips of nintendo games past and present. Then a new *beautiful* mario demo will play. As the demo is going Miyamoto will apper with controller in hand- he's controlling the demo. :D

People will say "WOW" :lol

There, now maybe this post will jumpstart crazyness- and this thread will stop dragging.

I don't think they'd ever do something this awesome

DrGAKMAN

Banned
nintendorevolutioncontrollerco.jpg

I'll answer questions as they arise.

goomba

Banned
Im predicting a Wario Ware: Revolution game at or near launch!. It shall demo the new interface much as Wario: Touch did for the DS

Kon Tiki

Banned
KyotoMecca said:
It is a fact that we will see the Revolution controller at Iwata's TGS speech.

The End.

So with less than a month til the reveal, do 3rd parties at least get dev kits now?

DrGAKMAN

Banned

And now here's the description. Again, this is very rough, but you should get the idea. It fits with what Nintendo has clued in on, would be inviting to non-gamers, backwords compatible with all the Nintendo systems of the past, able to play traditional games & ports and fits with what Teddman described (only with slight changes and more features that aren't too radical...in other words, early developement kits contained modified WaveBird's as the test controller) all while being a "revolution" due to it's simplicity/comfort plus new to gaming features.

KyotoMecca said:
It is a fact that we will see the Revolution controller at Iwata's TGS speech.

The End.

What makes you so sure? Nintendo has said they wanted to present the interface together with software as a "package"...how can that be if they show the controller, but don't allow playables on the showfloor?

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Bluemercury said:
So ***** is right again???that cannot be.....True..

What exactly did spoog say? That Nintendo was going to storm the stage and reveal all including specs, launch price/date, controller and games? That would be awesome...but I just don't believe it...

terrene

Banned
DrGAKMAN said:

I'll answer questions as they arise.
Me first!

What's it like to waste your time doing drawings that speculate on non-existent videogame hardware? Is it more or less lame than drawing your "concept art" for, say, Star Wars characters that leaked out in the script before any sort of visual?

AniHawk

terrene said:
Me first!

What's it like to waste your time doing drawings that speculate on non-existent videogame hardware? Is it more or less lame than drawing your "concept art" for, say, Star Wars characters that leaked out in the script before any sort of visual?

Are you still here?

G4life98

terrene said:
Me first!

what the fuck is wrong with you?

argon

DrGAKMAN said:

And now here's the description. Again, this is very rough, but you should get the idea. It fits with what Nintendo has clued in on, would be inviting to non-gamers, backwords compatible with all the Nintendo systems of the past, able to play traditional games & ports and fits with what Teddman described (only with slight changes and more features that aren't too radical...in other words, early developement kits contained modified WaveBird's as the test controller) all while being a "revolution" due to it's simplicity/comfort plus new to gaming features.

What makes you so sure? Nintendo has said they wanted to present the interface together with software as a "package"...how can that be if they show the controller, but don't allow playables on the showfloor?

Good effort with the controller mock-up, but don't you think its a little too complicated for Nintendo's purposes? I could see it maybe with the mic, LCD, and trackball removed.

Two major issues:

1) Looks to be ergonomically similar to the DC pad, aka satan's-own.
2) The touch ring surrounding the dpad, while a neat idea, would be liable to be accidently used while using the d-pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom