• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Avengers - Trailer #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Avengers turns out to be the most enjoyable superhero movie ever (til TDKR, of course), I shall commit account suicide by spoiling the movie to all the preconceituous people here.

Zzoram

If Avengers turns out to be the most enjoyable superhero movie ever (til TDKR, of course), I shall commit account suicide by spoiling the movie to all the preconceituous people here.

I don't think TDKR will be "more enjoyable". I think that like TDK, it will be a really good movie the first time, but kinda hard to rewatch because of how serious it is and how much it relies on plot twists over fun scenes.

Kud Dukan

Hipster generation. Nothing is good if it isn't completely unique, but ironically all the "good" stuff shares an identical dark brooding tone with a miserable flawed and conflicted protagonist, reflecting the critic's own world view.

I've always thought that was pretty funny...glad someone else noticed it too.

Internet high five!

I don't think TDKR will be "more enjoyable". I think that like TDK, it will be a really good movie the first time, but kinda hard to rewatch because of how serious it is and how much it relies on plot twists over fun scenes.

Given what I can assume of TDKR's plot, I think it will be much more straightforward than TDK. And I believe Bane will be a much stronger antagonist than the Joker too. And it is the last film.

I think it has everything to top The Prestige as Nolan's best. :p

Given what I can assume of TDKR's plot, I think it will be much more straightforward than TDK. And I believe Bane will be a much stronger antagonist than the Joker too. And it is the last film.

I think it has everything to top The Prestige as Nolan's best. :p

As much as I've liked the Nolan Batman films I'm looking forward to a reboot and a new direction for the franchise.

I'd like to see something similar to The Animated Series in live action and on the big screen. In fact, I think it would be smart for DC to look to their entire animated universe when crafting their live action films. The comic books are too inaccessible for a general audience but the animated-verse is very accessible. I'm surprised DC hasn't figured that out yet.

While I'm not a huge fan of Marvel's Ultimate universe, I think it was smart of them to use that as the influence for the films. It was built as an accessible new universe for young fans and I think that it's translated well to film.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
As much as I've liked the Nolan Batman films I'm looking forward to a reboot and a new direction for the franchise.

I'd like to see something similar to The Animated Series in live action and on the big screen.
Naaaaah, let's give the Batman & Robin name another try.
U5DCx.jpg

If they take the Morrison route by mixing the fun of what was the 66 series with a dash of "Lynch-like" weirdness, they could erase the Schumacher movie from history.

BELIEVE.

Naaaaah, let's give the Batman & Robin name another try.
U5DCx.jpg

If they take the Morrison route by mixing the fun of what was the 66 series with a dash of "Lynch-like" weirdness, they could erase the Schumacher movie from history.

BELIEVE.

That could be fun and I think the series needs more fun.

Not sure you could use the Batman & Robin name in film again.

It was not even a month ago we had early screening impressions from The Hunger Games calling it the best American science fiction film since The Matrix.

It was not even a month ago we had early screening impressions from The Hunger Games calling it the best American science fiction film since The Matrix.

You don't need to convince us to ignore premiere impressions, Sculli. Those that aren't already convinced of this fact are beyond help.

As my friend said this morning, premiere impressions are encouraging. That's the way I take them. Most of the critics chiming in generally share the same taste in film as me so I take that as a good sign.

Most on the people on this forum are smart enough to ignore hyperbole like that Hunger Games comparison.

Zzoram

Yes screening impressions are often exaggerated, but The Hunger Games turned out pretty good, even if it had some flaws.

I have no doubt that The Avengers has it's flaws, but that doesn't mean it can't be good.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Good Job Bob said:
It's cool that you enjoyed them all, but can you really not see the flaws?

Can you really blame people for being underwhelmed by their triteness?

Good Job Bob said:
How come? What do you find original about these films?

But what's original about anything? Star Wars is a whole bunch of classical mythos and pulp smashed together. Apart from the space opera setting (this is even borrowed), it's a cookie cutter story of a hero's rise, fall, and ultimate redemption. I'm not taking anything away from Star Wars--I love it dearly--but it borrows heavily from hundreds of years of storytelling from many cultures around the world. The whole thing is a tribute by Lucas to the shows he grew up with as a child. Does that make it bad or trite?

So here we have the Avengers. How can it be original? These characters have been around since the 60s! These characters in turn are based on stuff that's been around for hundreds of years!

I just don't understand what people are looking for. We're about to see a FUCKING AVENGERS MOVIE. It's got AAA stars, a huge budget, etc. etc. Is it going to have bad moments? Yes! Is it going to have amazing momemts? Yes! Is a lot of it going to be derivative? Yes!

Please tell me what movies you're watching that DON'T have flaws. That aren't derivative. Please, tell me. I'll go watch them immediately.

Ant-Man died with Scott Pilgrim, probably. :/ I don't really want him to do a Marvel film any more anyway. He needs to get TEoTW done.

Besides, it's still Edgar. The guy could be Kevin Feige's personal wallet inspector and I'd still trust his opinion more than your average bloke.

noah111

Still Alive
That shit will happen, but whether it ties into the bigger Marvel Universe is the question.
Hell no. There is no way they make a Pym movie and not have it tied in eventually with the Avengers.. no. way. Whether or not they go with an Ant-Man movie or not, either way Pym will get his time in a flick.

Lothars

It's cool that you enjoyed them all, but can you really not see the flaws?

Can you really blame people for being underwhelmed by their triteness?

How come? What do you find original about these films?
It's because no movie doesn't have flaws but I've loved the fact that they are the same universe and share the world.

each of the characters have at least a 40 year history, so it's impossible for them to be original but they have translated very well in these movies.

I think that you can look at early impressions where it's postive or negative as just someone's thoughts but it doesn't mean the movie is perfect and also doesn't mean it's bad either.

I'd like to see something similar to The Animated Series in live action and on the big screen. In fact, I think it would be smart for DC to look to their entire animated universe when crafting their live action films. The comic books are too inaccessible for a general audience but the animated-verse is very accessible. I'm surprised DC hasn't figured that out yet.

While I'm not a huge fan of Marvel's Ultimate universe, I think it was smart of them to use that as the influence for the films. It was built as an accessible new universe for young fans and I think that it's translated well to film.

I would love one-off films. Like The Dark Knight Returns. We already know who Batman is, so we don't need to keep doing origin films.

Agreed. Would love too if the next Batman film was 'lighter', accessible, not kitsch, and not goth. Use the comics visual language as Marvel did. Problem is DC letting it fail miserably like Green Lantern, harhar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom