• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The AWS (abused wife syndrome) ESPN NFL 2005 Xbox league! Last time Sega! LAST TIME!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Jesus fucking christ this playoff race is sickening! :lol Everyone has almost identical records now, and the only thing that determines who will make it and who won't is the alphabetical order of their city names. I should have been Atlanta. :0

Cloudy

Banned
The alphabetical order is just for formatting purposes until it's time to generate the playoff schedule. If records are tied, who gets in will be determined by head to head matchups and/or PF/PA...

the key to ESPN is the running game

Isn't that pretty much the key to football in general except you have an awesome QB? :lol But yeah, that's definitely the case for me. If I can't establish my run, I usually lose badly >_<

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Yeah, it's the key to ball control, so of course it's the key to the game in any football title, it just feels more important in this game. I put a couple of games together where Barber didn't do much and I lost or almost lost all of them but one. That game Toomer went nuts so it worked out.

Konex: Any way we can see what the tiebreakers are?

Cloudy

Banned
Well, you have to just figure it out based on past games. In your case, you need to have a better record than bob, fifty and solrak (you lost to them) to make it in over them if all 4 of you can't get in. PF/PA won't even be a factor for you...

In other words, if you lose 2 more games, you might just be out o_O And you play Miami, Tampa and Philly to finish?!?! Damn :lol

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Cloudy said:
Well, you have to just figure it out based on past games. In your case, you need to have a better record than bob, fifty and solrak (you lost to them) to make it in over them if all 4 of you can't get in. PF/PA won't even be a factor for you...

In other words, if you lose 2 more games, you might just be out o_O And you play Miami, Tampa and Philly to finish?!?! Damn :lol

Who the fuck made my schedule!? Shit. :(

Bog

Junior Ace
Running in a TD when you could've just downed the ball to end the game? That's pretty cool of you. Good job.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
DM when do you want to hand me my loss? I don't think the week will be advanced until at least tomorrow night, but if it's done earlier, I can play Thursday, Friday, not at all on Saturday, and Sunday after the Giants game.

One thing I wanted to mention about my game with Bog last night, Shockey dropped a pass and the game called it a fumble, he quickly paused it and went to challenge for ball spot, I'm assuming with the intention to take away my ability to challenge whether it was an incomplete pass or a fumble. Luckily I was still able to make the challenge and get the call overturned, but man that was low.

Cloudy

Banned
That is pretty dirty. :lol

But seriously, guys. We need to eliminate this win-at-all-costs mentality. I've had 2 folks tell me they might not be joining season 2 cos some players can't/won't follow the simple rules once they are in jeopardy of losing. Exactly why am I seeing passes on 4th and 4 in the first quarter in recent games? o_O

Another issue that pisses folks off is when their opponent for the week acts like league games are a chore and keeps postponing stuff. If you aren't enthusiastic about playing your games (winning record or not), why join in the first place?

Mrbob

Yeah going for it on 4th and 4 in the first is a bit strange. Should be a punting situation but oh well. I can see going for it on 4th and 4, even in the 1st, if you were at like the opponents 35-40 yard line and you don't think you could hit the FG. But if it is at like the opponents 45 yard line or back there really is no reason to go for it. At the same time though, it doesn't really bother me because once I stop that 4th and 4 play I just got nice field position.

Edit: WTF. Who put that TO pic up on the league page? -____- :lol

Ramirez

I still don't see what the big deal about running plays after you've already won is.The league is about stats after all,and hell if you have a chance to better them,do it!

I see it as people mad they got their ass kicked,thats about it :p

Cloudy

Banned
Mrbob said:
can see going for it on 4th and 4, even in the 1st, if you were at like the opponents 35-40 yard line and you don't think you could hit the FG. But if it is at like the opponents 45 yard line or back there really is no reason to go for it.

----4-4 at OPP 47. QB pass across the middle dropped by WR-----

That is in the first quarter of a recent game in the league. That is a blatant violation of our rules and I think it's complete garbage. The game was still 0-0 too so it's not like he was down or anything (which would still be garbage in the fukkin first quarter)...

Ramirez

Bob how can you call EQ garbage?I want to know really,because even though there is still bullshit with it,without it the game is damn near unplayable/unenjoyable for me.

Bog

Junior Ace
Wellington said:
One thing I wanted to mention about my game with Bog last night, Shockey dropped a pass and the game called it a fumble, he quickly paused it and went to challenge for ball spot, I'm assuming with the intention to take away my ability to challenge whether it was an incomplete pass or a fumble. Luckily I was still able to make the challenge and get the call overturned, but man that was low.

What he's saying is completely... true. But it was more to see if it would work. I had been wondering for a few weeks now if Sega had covered that issue, so when the opportunity arose last night, I tried it. Not saying if it had worked I would've given the ball back. I'm not that innocent here, but that was my main motivation behind it. Truthfully, with how many holes there are already in the game, I'm shocked VC thought to allow multiple challenges (something I highly doubt is legal in the NFL). But hey, it did cost me a time out.

Fifty

Ramirez said:
Bob how can you call EQ garbage?I want to know really,because even though there is still bullshit with it,without it the game is damn near unplayable/unenjoyable for me.

That's exactly what I said to him.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Damn.. I should have had that game.. I played a nearly perfect (save one play) first half.. only to have my players put the ball on the ground in three consecutive plays before they finnaly lost one..

should have gone into the second half with the ball and a 7 point lead :(

The second half was just ugly.. 10 total points scored.. I could have had a TD but my balls shrank up and tried to crawl back up in me.. got scared of the turnover and just settled for a FG.. and it caught back up with me. and that pass to end the game was horrid. I saw the damn Free saftey sitting back there.. I knew the ball was headed right for him and I threw it anyway and as soon as I did it knew it was over :(

In any case, my offensive production has gotten really piss poor, Im pretty sure Im not going to make the playoffs. If I win my next two I should be in for sure, and might get in with one win (prolly not).. but I really dont think Im capable of winning another game at this point.

Bog

Junior Ace
Cloudy said:
Actually you're not innocent AT ALL :lol You'd think a 12-1 team would refrain from such garbage tactics, geez... :p

Don't forget that the 1 loss was a coin-flip forfeit.

Fifty

I beat the mighty Pats by means of my RAVENS AIR ATTACK! God I love this game so much. By the way, I'm speaking Canadian right now, "love this game so much" really means that it's the biggest pile of shit I've ever played.

Mrbob

Don't get me started on EQ. -___-

Doesn't matter anyways, since most peepz already voted for EQ it will be in Season 2 I might as well accept this inferior mode now and live with it.

Mrbob

I'll get more into detail tommorrow if you want. But if you guys think that more realistic stats are brought forth by inept line play than more power too you. I've seen more missed assignments by offensive lineman in one EQ league game than I have the entire non EQ season.

Realitic play = having the offensive lineman let the defensive tackle or defensive end rub by untouched without even attempting to block him. That is what EQ has brought. But I guess that is the route we are going so get used to seeing a ton of unrealistic sack stats.

It is so bad in the EQ league that we are now gonna play games by not being able to use the defensive lineman.

Cloudy

Banned
Bob, the sack stats are high relative to real life stats and NOT the main league's. Go and see for yourself. Since that is a test league, we are trying to explore all options to see what gives the best stats.

Sacks are the one stat that EQ has not drastically affected compared to no EQ....

Alcibiades

I don't get it, why would it be against the rules to go for it on 4th and 4?

If they mess up it's a bad situation for opponent, no?

Cloudy

Banned
Cos it's just not realistic unless it's late in the 4th quarter and you are down. If were gonna allow 4th down attempts in early quarters, what's to stop onsides kicking all game and any other unrealistic stuff?

Alcibiades

Cloudy said:
Cos it's just not realistic unless it's late in the 4th quarter and you are down. If were gonna allow 4th down attempts in early quarters, what's to stop onsides kicking all game and any other unrealistic stuff?
but isn't it risky to go for onside kicks and 4th down conversions?

If the player fails, it probably means bad news.

Shouldn't you want for them to go for it hoping they fail?

Cloudy

Banned
It is risky but it's not realistic. I don't know how else to explain it except that we're trying everything to have the games as "sim" as possible :)

Mrbob

Cloudy said:
Bob, the sack stats are high relative to real life stats and NOT the main league's. Go and see for yourself. Since that is a test league, we are trying to explore all options to see what gives the best stats.

Sacks are the one stat that EQ has not drastically affected compared to no EQ....

Sacks are only half the point. Due to the quick QBs in this game it's still easy to outmove a lineman if they break through. But I don't find it fun having to watch the line to see if a lineman breaks through clean instead of focusing on trying to find my receivers. If you feel like it's fun to have to constantly scramble your QB to the left or right to avoid a sack because your lineman lets the defensive end/tackle run right by more power to you.

Speaking of the running game, the running backs fall down if someone taps them with their finger. You have tiny safetys dragging down big fast running backs one on one consistently. It's not that safetys cant' bring running backs down. But they shouldn't be able to do it as easily as a linebacker or lineman...

EQ also takes away some strategy from the game. I can go into it a bit later....

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
the other reason to limit going for it on fourth down is the existance of plays that are allways there for 2 or 3 yards. Normally those plays are run in short yardage situations... if you think of the entire game as 4 down territory you can use those all the time to march the ball down the field...

also, rules have to be created to artificially impose rules that would be followed in real life. Is going for it on fourth down risky in real life? yes. Is it risky in the game? yes. Do you lose your multimillion dollar job for being a dumbfuck and going for it on fourth and 4 early in the game in your own territory? yes? In the game? No, you just get pissed and turn off your Xbox.

Cloudy

Banned
Sacks are only half the point. Due to the quick QBs in this game it's still easy to outmove a lineman if they break through. But I don't find it fun having to watch the line to see if a lineman breaks through clean instead of focusing on trying to find my receivers. If you feel like it's fun to have to constantly scramble your QB to the left or right to avoid a sack because your lineman lets the defensive end/tackle run right by more power to you.

All I'm trying to say is that there is no difference with EQ off as far as this is concerned. The stats are there to see..

Speaking of the running game, the running backs fall down if someone taps them with their finger. You have tiny safetys dragging down big fast running backs one on one consistently. It's not that safetys cant' bring running backs down. But they shouldn't be able to do it as easily as a linebacker or lineman...

I prefer this to the alternative where you can't take anyone down. And in the EQ league, it's not like no one's getting decent yards, they're just realistic. A player can't complain if they only run 5 times and get 12 yds total. If you don't give up on the run in EQ, you'll have realistic rushing yards. Again, the stats are there to check out. I'll take a running game where you actually have to pay attention to the blockers since the tacklers will bring you down than what we have with EQ off where some guys are breaking 10 plus tackles a game and can't be stopped unless you play bear all game.

EQ also takes away some strategy from the game.

The only strategies EQ takes out are:

Pass all day = win
Run all day = win
2 plays all day = win

I can live with that :D

Mrbob

I prefer this to the alternative where you can't take anyone down. And in the EQ league, it's not like no one's getting decent yards, they're just realistic. A player can't complain if they only run 5 times and get 12 yds total. If you don't give up on the run in EQ, you'll have realistic rushing yards. Again, the stats are there to check out. I'll take a running game where you actually have to pay attention to the blockers since the tacklers will bring you down than what we have with EQ off where some guys are breaking 10 plus tackles a game and can't be stopped unless you play bear all game.

Flat out incorrect. First of all, you have to watch your blocks in non EQ too. Secondly, you can bring down running backs. I've become very good at it. You need to call the correct plays. EQ lets you get away with stopping the running game by calling incorrect plays.

The only strategies EQ takes out are:

Pass all day = win
Run all day = win
2 plays all day = win

I can live with that

I hope you are joking there. Did you see the Colts/Packers game? Colts passed almost all game because the Packers let them. It is a strategy that can be used if the defense lets you pass. Also, when I was talking strategy, let me give you an example:

I have a right tackle who is rated 91. My opponent has a left end rated 68. I should be able to pound that ball to the right size and use this to my advantage, forcing my opponent to have to blitz from the right if he wants to stop the run. Now, this also opens up my ability to call play action and try to burn the blitz. With EQ on, my right tackle stats goes down to like 83 and the left end stats goes up to 75, thus increasing his ability to stop that running play on his, allowing my opponent to sit back in coverage and not bring that blitz.

But whatever, lets go with EQ, almost everyone wants it. I'm not totally adverse to EQ. When I played you last night in our EQ game with my being the Bears and you the Colts, I crushed that Colts offense. So it'll allow me to crush elite offensive teams with weaker ones and that is to my advantage so be it.

Ramirez

I dunno,after playing DM yesterday I wanted to swear this game off forever.Passing is fuckin insanely hard on EQ,regardless if I have a running game or not,WR's drop wide open passes or just drop it at the slightest hit...not to mention what Bob was saying about DL,but that happens in the regular mode too.

I mean this game is just pure shit,EQ might help it a little,but at the end of the day its just a broke ass joke of a game.

*waits for Konex to come in and put a spin on it*

Cloudy

Banned
Bob, in your last 2 EQ games, given up 132 yds to Stephen Davis and 225 yds to Quentin Griffin (That is INSANE when compared to everyone else's rushing defense). How come you're not stopping the run if it's so easy? :p

Cloudy

Banned
Ramirez, you say passing is too hard on EQ. Why not just give credit to DM? You don't have to much problem passing in your other games. FMT trashed me the other day and I couldn't do anything. He was simply better :)

Mrbob

Cloudy said:
Bob, in your last 2 EQ games, given up 132 yds to Stephen Davis and 225 yds to Quentin Griffin (That is INSANE when compared to everyone else's rushing defense). How come you're not stopping the run if it's so easy? :p

Because I'm not trying. There are some disturbing things about EQ and I'm trying to figure them out. I really don't care if I win/lose/stats in this EQ league 'cause there are some broken things I"m trying to look at so I can come to a good conclusion with EQ.

Secondly, we talked about this last night too. I absolutely loathe the Packers playcalling (Not to mention the team :p ), and I'm still trying to get used to the team.

If you want to see the effects of me playing D in EQ, lets talk about our Colts/Bears game from last night like I mentioned above. :D I held Manning to what, 100 yards? James to what, 20 yards rushing? And I beat you 17-10 OH SNAPS. Here's the kicker too: I never blitzed. Not even once. I stayed in man/zone coverage while rushing four lineman the entire game. And I sacked Manning like 8 times. All of them coming because your offensive lineman let my defensive lineman run right by.

Like I said, bring on EQ. I'll crush high powered offenses like weak ones with EQ on.

Mrbob

Cloudy said:
There you go. Last night, you were just the better player. EQ didn't "screw" me or anything :p

You think the Bears D holding the Colts O to 120 total yards without having to blitz once is realistc?? -___ -

:(

Ramirez

Car. VS. KC 8/20

Hou Vs. Car. 5/25

Car. Vs. GB 5/12

Car. VS. Den 8/17

Car. VS. Ten. 7/17

Car. VS. Sea. 9/18

Yea like I said,I've yet to complete 10 passes and I was probably the best passing offense in the league last year and anytime I've played a non EQ game with the Steelers (Panthers in the tourney as well) this year.I've had one ok game against Matrix,and that was just a fluke blowout game.

Too many wide open drops and drops when my WRs are barely hit...bleh.

Mrbob

Ramirez said:
Too many wide open drops and drops when my WRs are barely hit...bleh.

This is very true. I've called a couple deep passes to the left and right side on one on one coverage with my 86 rated receiver (Driver) and had drops. All three times he had the DB beat but a shoestring hit caused him to drop the ball...which falls back into the running game and and the easy ability to bring backs down.

Again, non EQ, you can bring them down. Do you guys know you can stop the X button to pull down a running back who is trying to break free...?

You can point faults either way, so I guess the question comes down to this:

Do you want to sacrifice fun for a method of the game artificially creating better stats? EQ may show more realistic stats on a whole, but non EQ plays more like real football on the field.

Cloudy

Banned
Mrbob said:
You think the Bears D holding the Colts O to 120 total yards without having to blitz once is realistc?? -___ -

:(

Well, we were both testing stuff out that game. Try me in a real game :)

PS: There are 2 things that can improve your passing in EQ:

1. Don't rely on the deep pass all game. Try short passes to your backs. Almost everyone totally ignores short and medium passes.

2. Press the catch button ALWAYS.

I think that'll help. But if you prefer 300 yards on 10 attempts, play with EQ off...

Ramirez

You don't get it Konex,didn't expect you too,I'd say 2 or 3 of those completions are simple dumpoffs to the RB that go for no gain cuz I'm getting pressured out the ass because my fucking O-Line can't block.

The Texans (!!!!!) had 4 sacks,while my team,which has one of the best D-Lines in the league had 0.Thats why I said we need to ban line play,cuz DM was just straight blowing through untouched a good majority of the time,its not just him though,its the game,anyone can do it if they play with a defensive linemen.

Top Bottom