• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The BBC suspend Jeremy Clarkson (assaulting producer?) cancel rest of Top Gear Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
OJXdivN.png

Just watch the first season of current Top Gear and see what it was like when they didn't have James.

Meh, even after he joined for a series or 2 it was still a bit disjointed.

I honestly think clarkson leaving wouldn't be the worst thing for the show as a whole. They have just become caricatures of their former personalities to the point where almost all of the comedy bits are sadly cookie cutter predictable.

For instance the only point this series so far in which I actually felt what they were showing on screen was genuine was the Hammond climbing the dam in the land rover. Everything else since around series 10/11 has felt like this weird cartoon of what "those 3 blokes" would always do in situations they are put into and very rarely do they deviate from their character roles within the show.

I still enjoy the show and watch it every week. I just don't find myself looking forward to it as much as I used to because I feel like i've watched most of it already and i'm just watching reruns in new locations with slightly different cars being driven.

Aww man, and here I was excited for the extended season this year. Not saying Clarkson should be allowed to get away with anything, but it sucks this has to bring down the whole show.

commedieu

Banned
Well, it's nationalism in the sense that the British are very disparaging of themselves. The shows where there is a strong sense of nationalism, it is more in the context of "We're better than you think". There is also a lot of self-deprecating humour in the show.

So they make stereotypical jokes. Now I am not saying all the jokes on the show were not in bad taste--Richard Hammond's joke on mexicans wasn't really that funny--but I wouldn't conflate stereotypical jokes with racism.

It's not like other countries don't do the same. There are a lot of stereotypical jokes in the Simpsons for instance. However, a lot of people don't even think about it because they're not directly aimed at them.

If Clarkson was to say this on Top Gear, he would be criticised for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc78yPv_ztM

It's just a stereotypical joke.

Agreed on all counts. Was just observing why people take what he says to other zones. Granted, I can't tell someone not to be offended, if they are. But, I can understand both sides.

leadbelly

Banned
Agreed on all counts. Was just observing why people take what he says to other zones. Granted, I can't tell someone not to be offended, if they are. But, I can understand both sides.

Well, some people take things personally. I understand why some people might take offence, but I also think it is taken out of proportion and not necessarily by the group the joke was aimed at, but by certain liberal types who take it on themselves to tell everyone how offensive it is.

I can understand for instance, why some Hindus might take offence at Apu, in The Simpsons, but I wouldn't suggest that the writers of the show are inherently racist and full of hate for doing it.

The author of this article likens him to a minstrel character.
In a way, Apu is a modern-day minstrel character, as a non-Indian does the voice of an Indian. Though instead of blackening his face, the voiceover hides behind the guise of an animated character. It wasn't political correctness that rid us of minstrel shows but rather the realization that they were simply incorrect. Apu is also incorrect. If you think the character is harmless, you should spend some time at an elementary school with South Asian kids. His name has become a racial epithet. Our society forces South Asians to laugh at their own culture.
http://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...s-apu-serves-negative-stereotype#.VP9qReH-bAg

Some people will take offence no matter what the intentions.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Well, it's nationalism in the sense that the British are very disparaging of themselves. The shows where there is a strong sense of nationalism, it is more in the context of "We're better than you think". There is also a lot of self-deprecating humour in the show.

So they make stereotypical jokes. Now I am not saying all the jokes on the show were not in bad taste--Richard Hammond's joke on mexicans wasn't really that funny--but I wouldn't conflate stereotypical jokes with racism.

It's not like other countries don't do the same. There are a lot of stereotypical jokes in the Simpsons for instance. However, a lot of people don't even think about it because they're not directly aimed at them.

If Clarkson was to say this on Top Gear, he would be criticised for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc78yPv_ztM

It's just a stereotypical joke.

Top Gear is very respectful to the French.

wk3N5jQ.gif

leadbelly

Banned
Top Gear is very respectful to the French.

wk3N5jQ.gif

Oh yeah. Forgot about that. lol
One of my favorite comedy bits

Obviously Stewart Lee is not only politically correct, he almost seems to advocate it. I don't get the issue with the Gordon Brown joke though. I'm sure it would be offensive to Gordon Brown, but we all know other comedians have said far more offensive things about politicians. I'm not even sure the audience knew where he was going with that. It's almost as if Stewart Lee as a comedian doesn't get comedy, which would be absurd.

Maybe he should have focused more on the stereotypical jokes than going off on something that Clarkson is really not the worst offender on,

wedward

Maybe he should have focused more on the stereotypical jokes than going off on something that Clarkson is really not the worst offender on,

This is such a silly way to deflect criticism.

You aren't immune from criticism because there is someone more deserving of it.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Obviously Stewart Lee is not only politically correct, he almost seems to advocate it. I don't get the issue with the Gordon Brown joke though. I'm sure it would be offensive to Gordon Brown, but we all know other comedians have said far more offensive things about politicians. I'm not even sure the audience knew where he was going with that. It's almost as if Stewart Lee as a comedian doesn't get comedy, which would be absurd.

I don't think you got it.

leadbelly

Banned
This is such a silly way to deflect criticism.

You aren't immune from criticism because there is someone more deserving of it.

It is not deflecting criticism, I just don't understand the point he is making there.

His criticism is that Top Gear makes stereotypical jokes. I understand that criticism. My point has always been though, that there is a difference with stereotypical jokes and racism. If you are going to make an argument against stereotypical jokes, then also make them against shows like The Simpsons, for instance, which is entirely based on stereotypes. In some ways I don't see much difference. I've seen negative stereotypes aimed at the British, French, Scottish, you name it in The Simpsons, but nothing ever really said by Stewart Lee about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZZ_WH9cvPc

That's not to say some of these stereotypical jokes can't be offensive to some, it is just that they are quite commonplace in many different countries. .

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Oh this better all be overblown for his sake, otherwise this attitude isn't going to be helpful...

---

Mirror claims Clarkson snapped over not getting dinner on time.

Jeremy Clarkson was suspended from Top Gear after allegedly hitting a producer named as Oisin Tymon.

It is claimed the host, 54, saw red with Tymon, 36, for not getting him dinner in time after filming for the BBC show in Newcastle.

A source said: “Jeremy saw red over a catering issue. He just snapped.”

The controversial host was suspended by the BBC after a “fracas”, in which it is alleged that he saw red and hit an assistant producer of the programme for failing to get him his dinner on time.

It is understood that Oisin Tymon, 36 – who has worked on the show for a decade and knows Clarkson well – was the man involved in the alleged bust-up. It is said to have taken place after filming in Newcastle with co-hosts James May, 52, and Richard Hammond, 45.

One source claimed: “It was all over a catering issue. They came to the end of filming after a long day and Jeremy discovered that no food had been laid on.

“He just saw red and hit the assistant producer, who he blamed for not having organised the food. He snapped.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/...ed-producer-top-5309060#ICID=sharebar_twitter

leadbelly

Banned
No. Just depressing.

I'm not offended by the guy, I simply think he's a cunt.

It wasn't entirely aimed at you but rather people that seem to take so much offence at everything Clarkson says. It must be annoying that he is so widely loved throughout the world, despite the fact he says so many things that people find offensive.

The truth is though, a lot of the things these people find offensive, many other people see as out of proportion to what has been said.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Please tell me the season isn't getting halted. I was so looking forward to the Top Gear US vs. UK battle.

That was this last episode and there was no battle. Foust was just showing James how to be a Rally driver. Then lapped him in a race.

Please tell me the season isn't getting halted. I was so looking forward to the Top Gear US vs. UK battle.
Shit, I was hoping that was the last episode they just aired. I don't get to see the week's episode here in the US until today when the episode goes up on Amazon. I also avoid the OT until Wednesday of each week for the same reason.

Canceling the rest of the season is like straight up shitting on my Christmas. I'm crushed.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It wasn't entirely aimed at you but rather people that seem to take so much offence at everything Clarkson says. It must be annoying that he is so widely loved throughout the world, despite the fact he says so many things that people find offensive.

The truth is though, a lot of the things these people find offensive, many other people see as out of proportion to what has been said.

I'm not sure I get your point.

Obviously Clarkson says he didn't punch anyone, according to a source close to him in tomorrow's Sun.

Though for The Sun a source close to him could be him.

Expect more coming out in the papers tomorrow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom