• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Breath of Fire series' 20th anniversary

Fou-Lu is a badass. Love the style and setting of BoF4. Never tried BoF5. The style turned me off. Heard good things about it, but what I don't know won't hurt me.

I still need to beat Breath of Fire IV. I've tried a few times to play it, but I always quit after a few hours. Something about the game just doesn't click with me.

While I like the game, I find it's towns and dungeons to be very claustrophobic. I enjoyed exploring the towns in BOF 3 but I always felt like the camera angles in 4 felt a bit off. It might just be me though, but they just didn't feel as enjoyable to explore. The starting areas are also incredibly bland color-wise. Just a bunch of ugly desert areas.

The animation on the other hand. Yikes. Now there is something that still manages to impress. Truly beautiful stuff. Also a stellar soundtrack that sounds quite unique.

Aeana

I still need to beat Breath of Fire IV. I've tried a few times to play it, but I always quit after a few hours. Something about the game just doesn't click with me.

Completely understandable. I did the same thing many times. The first part with the desert town and all of that is just really boring. Once you get through the hexed town, I think it picks up and I really adore it.

Anyways, my only problem was the shield deal with the later bosses, cuz by then one has all the tools to punk these guys so hard, they made you burn 50% of your turns chilling.

Yeah, no kidding. In the late game, it's pretty much charge-charge-wtfpwn for the bosses.

The animation on the other hand. Yikes. Now there is something that still manages to impress. Truly beautiful stuff. Also a stellar soundtrack that sounds quite unique.

BoFIV's soundtrack is great. Next favorite after DQ. However, I do think BoFIII's fusionesque soundtrack is also unique in its own way.

While I like the game, I find it's towns and dungeons to be very claustrophobic. I enjoyed exploring the towns in BOF 3 but I always felt like the camera angles in 4 felt a bit off. It might just be me though, but they just didn't feel as enjoyable to explore. The starting areas are also incredibly bland color-wise. Just a bunch of ugly desert areas.

Gratuitous soundtrack sample post.

SkyOdin

Are 1-4 worth playing? I love 5, it's one of my most cherished rpgs. I played 1 and 2 a bit in 2000 and didn't care for them. Should I give them another shot or just go with 3/4?
I think 1 holds up decently well. It isn't great, but it is charming and has some unique ideas.

2 has serious pacing issues though. I can understand having trouble getting through that game.

Feel free to just skip to 3 and 4 if you feel so inclined. You can always come back to 1 and 2 later. 3 and 4 are pretty solid RPGs. While 3 has a few issues of its own, I had fun with it when I replayed it earlier this year.

jackal27

Banned
Wow 20 years huh... I love BoF 1 and 2 so much. 3 never really clicked for me, but I like 4. Never played 5.

I miss this series so hard. Would love to see another entry. I may need pop in my BoF 1 cart tomorrow.

I think 1 holds up decently well. It isn't great, but it is charming and has some unique ideas.

Just beat the game again recently, and I'd have to agree. Not the best game out there, but it had enough interesting ideas to keep me interested the whole way though. (I really liked some of the dungeon design in the later half of the game, like the one with the teleporting tiles and the one where the tiles spin the screen around) My biggest gripe with the game are how ridiculously powerful the Dragon transformations are, at least relative to the rest of the series.

And I've also recently finished Dragon Quarter after finally giving it another chance after all these years. To be honest, I don't think I've ever played anything quite like it before. Really glad I gave it another chance.

Breath of Fire is one of my favorite Jrpgs and I still play BOF III on my PSX occasionally.

Being the 20th Anniversary it would be great to see a new announcement for the series.

Magicant

Banned
With Christian Svensson leaving Capcom, I'm worried about what the status is of Capcom USA/SCEA coming to an agreement on re-releasing Breath of Fire III (PSP) in North America on PSN...

Anyhoot, Breath of Fire II is out on the Japanese Wii U Virtual Console, and the Miiverse art on there is amazing. I've been constantly sharing it on the Breath of Fire Facebook page.

Here's one I made. Yeah, I'm no artist.

zlCfzRDN8qkre81ZEP

Breath of Fire was, along with Secret of Mana and FF6, one of my first RPGs. I love that series.

Stupid Capcom needs to do something with it, and not on goddamn cell phones.

The pessimist in me doesn't think the series will be touched for a good long while, if ever again.

It being the 20th Anniversary though, I wish Capcom would re-issue the BoF Special Box soundtrack set, at the very least.

Silvawuff

Dragon Quarter was a brilliant game. The game gave you a sense of urgency mixed with wonder and just...something else I can't quite nail down. I'd love to see it revisited with an HD update or something.

Cytezan

I absolutely loved Breath of Fire IV. Was one of the first JRPGs I ever played and encouraged me to try more.

I really hope we see another entry in the series some time in the future.

B.K.

Udon announced an English release of Breath of Fire: Official Complete Works at ComiCon. It figures that there would be an English release announced as soon as I bought the Japanese version.

dgco86

Udon announced an English release of Breath of Fire: Official Complete Works at ComiCon. It figures that there would be an English release announced as soon as I bought the Japanese version.

Heh, you're not alone. Bought a copy on eBay 2 days ago.

Top Bottom