• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto protocol is a hidden Gem Now

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Currently playing it on PS5. I am very pleased and pleasantly surprised of how good this game is.

I read all the reports about how the game was broken and it probably was. I guessed all the issues have been ironed out because after 8 hours I have had 0 issues or bugs.

The game has a lot of positives going for it

+ Great graphics and atmosphere
+ interesting story with interesting characters
+ Fun and brutal combat
+ easily set up for a franchise

If you played it before and it stunk I would suggest trying it again. I just started playing it a week ago and had a blast.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Cbs No GIF by HULU

The title checks out how someone would somehow consider it a hidden gem. All graphics no substance I assume.

Even tho The Order was a such a waste.

Aenima

Currently playing it on PS5. I am very pleased and pleasantly surprised of how good this game is.

I read all the reports about how the game was broken and it probably was. I guessed all the issues have been ironed out because after 8 hours I have had 0 issues are bugs.

The game has a lot of positives going for it

+ Great graphics and atmosphere
+ interesting story with interesting characters
+ Fun and brutal combat
+ easily set up for a franchise

If you played it before and it stunk I would suggest trying it again. I just started playing it a week ago and had a blast.
I also enjoyed it much more than i was expecting, based on GAF opinions about the game.

Hugare

Always has been, OP

Bugs were never the problem. It was polished even on day one (on consoles, at least).

In fact it was better, imo, 'cause they have changed some animations and other stuff since then to make the game easier in hopes of getting more players. Didnt work, and they've nerfed the game for nothing.

People hated it 'cause they wanted it to be like Dead Space, so they didnt embrace the game's combat for what it was. It's great. Simple, but very satisfying. The game is not 20h long, so the combat doesnt overstay its welcome.

Talking about length, its also perfect. Not too short, not too long. This game came as a blessing in a wave of overbloated games that we have in the market.

And the visuals? Phew. Still have some of the best, if not the best models on the market.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I enjoyed the game and I believe it didn't deserve all the hate it got but hidden gem its not.

This game has very obvious bad design choices, the level design is absolute crap, I like the idea focusing on melee compare to other survival horror game but the way dodging works the combat turns in to turn based, waiting until the enemy stop swinging so you can start your attack.

The idea of enemies turning in to different creature was great idea but it was done very poorly, their behaviour barely change I think have same animation.

I also HATED those fucking long necks enemies keep poping out and they are not even proper jump scares they are just fucking annoying.
callisto-protocol-long-neck.webp

Also the AI for those blind enemies so fucking dumb that the game has to go out of its way to make them aware of your presence. Seriously! Kill all them close to each other and wont hear, you can even throw explosive at them and still wont hear you.

This game just had too many bad design choices, which is weird because the guy who made this game should be good at making survival horror game.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
OP, why did you capitalize Callisto, but not protocol. Also why did you capitalize Gem and Now, but not every word as you would with a title usually?

Are you sending us a hidden message?
It might actually make more sense if OP was fucking with us and was really just trying to sign off for the evening with "Take Care, Good Night"

SenkiDala

I bought it 63€ on day one, as a HUGE fan of Dead Space I was 100% sure I'd love the game. I am 40yo since 1 month and since 3 decades I've never been really disappointed by a purchase, that game was my biggest disappointment.

I launch the game on day one, totally hyped, I start to play, there's the tutorial for combat and I am like WHAT. THE. FUCK. I understood NOTHING, I kept playing a couple of hours but no, no way, I DON'T UNDERSTAND anything about how to fight, moving sticks in I dunno which sense...

It annoyed me so much that I dropped that game faster than I've ever dropped a game. I still have it though and someone told me "it is patched now, it's fine" but the trauma is still too big. :(

ungalo

I read all the reports about how the game was broken and it probably was.
I don't think it was ever "broken", just some stuttering on PC if i recall.

I think the trip was mediocre compared to the initial promise, a new Dead Space. Because Dead Space 1 and 2 are just more varied, spectacular, surprising and well paced and they released 10 years before the game.

As i said when i played it at launch, i think the combat system is misunderstood and is not that bad at all. But it was bound to be redundant and simplistic (still i think it works). And graphics are very good. Outside of that it's forgettable.

saintjules

OP, that's why it's good to get your own feel for the game and not rely on the banter / controversy surrounding it. Of course it's still good to gauge on the thoughts out there.

I've been enjoying it myself as well. I think if it were a launch title this generation to showcase the power of the Consoles it would have done better probably. It looks better than some of the titles out there now.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I gave this a 8.3/10 and I stand by it.
It was one of the more enjoyable titles of last year, the DLC sucks though.
Seemed like they gave up because of all the hate and knew it was lost cause.
The main game seemed like one of those good first entry games when the sequel would be something really special.
also like to point out that Dark1X really enjoyed the game and was confused by the hate, but this was on PS5
other platforms did have a lot of problems so a lot of hate has come from that.

I will say for a game no one bought a lot people have got a opinion about it.
The true hidden gem...
Being a Silent Hill fan I gave this series multiple chances.....but sorry it sucks donkey dick ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The Dead Space Remake was so much better. The same boss over and over (this wasn’t Mr X or Nemesis). The same camera jerking movements for melee attacks. I can’t recommend Callisto Protocol. I highly recommend the Dead Space Remake though. That made up for it. I also uninstalled Callisto Protocol for the 2nd time during the DLC. I had high hopes for it, but I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. I value your time. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom