• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto protocol is a hidden Gem Now

I loved the combat. They do a poor job locking a lot of shit behind the skill trees which really hurts the combat as you start out.

But if you dont fuck up and waste skill points in guns, and instead put everything into force and melee attacks, the combat truly fucking shines. I played the game on PS5 then bought on PC, and had a blast on PC because i knew exactly what to upgrade first.

I love how visceral the melee combat feels and the force abiltiies just make everything feel like star wars.
GnL1NAt.gif

I skipped the game last year because everyone kept saying the combat was trash, then saw this video by one of my favorite youtubers, and i was like wait a second. Then I played the game, and after the first couple of hours, it just clicked.

Yeah, you get it.

Admire Dick Wolf GIF by Wolf Entertainment

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's not a minor irritation. You actually crawl ands shimmy for like 50% of this game.
lol no you dont. If anything, its a great no-nosense 10-12 hour game that isnt padded by constant walking sections, cutscenes, side content and encounters that never outstay their welcome. i played and beat it 3 times in a week and i know exactly how many crawling sections are in this game. they probably total up to maybe 15-20 minutes out of the 10 hour campaign. i would rather crawl into a vent for 30 seconds every 45 minutes than play a 2 hour section with atrues collecting flowers riding a bull.
Backtracking does not help.
there is like no backtracking in the game. even when they make you go back to the opening level, they cut away and dont make you go through it. people kept telling me that there is backtracking and i went in expecting a dead space remake style metroidvania only to find that its actually a linear game where you are always going forward.
And combat left/right/left/right for it's remainder.
Again, this is simply not true. The game gives you like 6 different weapons. AND force abilities. yes, its melee focused but in a typical encounter with 5-6 enemies, you maybe melee two of them. The rest you can force push into stuff, force pull into a melee, or simply blow their heads off with shotguns and assault rifles. i played dead space remake and callisto back to back and its dead space that felt rigid with its focus on taking off limbs and extremely limited force abilities even 75% into the game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
lol no you dont. If anything, its a great no-nosense 10-12 hour game that isnt padded by constant walking sections, cutscenes, side content and encounters that never outstay their welcome. i played and beat it 3 times in a week and i know exactly how many crawling sections are in this game. they probably total up to maybe 15-20 minutes out of the 10 hour campaign. i would rather crawl into a vent for 30 seconds every 45 minutes than play a 2 hour section with atrues collecting flowers riding a bull.

there is like no backtracking in the game. even when they make you go back to the opening level, they cut away and dont make you go through it. people kept telling me that there is backtracking and i went in expecting a dead space remake style metroidvania only to find that its actually a linear game where you are always going forward.

Again, this is simply not true. The game gives you like 6 different weapons. AND force abilities. yes, its melee focused but in a typical encounter with 5-6 enemies, you maybe melee two of them. The rest you can force push into stuff, force pull into a melee, or simply blow their heads off with shotguns and assault rifles. i played dead space remake and callisto back to back and its dead space that felt rigid with its focus on taking off limbs and extremely limited force abilities even 75% into the game.
You are entitled to your opinion but it's a 10h game and I got bored by the half of it.
The terribe ending didn't help either... as well as reused mini bosses.
Trash trash trash game with even trashier story.

SlimySnake

You are entitled to your opinion but it's a 10h game and I got bored by the half of it.
The terribe ending didn't help either... as well as reused mini bosses.
Trash trash trash game with even trashier story.
we can discuss or ignore opinons, but facts are facts and the game has no backtracking and the combat isnt a QTE style dodgefest. im ok with you calling the game trash, but misrepresenting what the game does or does not do goes beyond that. It kept me from playing the game for a whole year, and honestly, it hurts the value i place on this forum's opinions.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
we can discuss or ignore opinons, but facts are facts and the game has no backtracking and the combat isnt a QTE style dodgefest. im ok with you calling the game trash, but misrepresenting what the game does or does not do goes beyond that. It kept me from playing the game for a whole year, and honestly, it hurts the value i place on this forum's opinions.
But it does have backtracking. In that mining village under the prison for example. You got back through that whole place.
And teh combat is not qte but it's still left right left right. There is nothing else to it and the whole combat breaks down with multiple enemies

MacReady13

If only they didn't make that dodge mechanic a key part of the game it would've been so much better. As it is, I still enjoyed it.

Eiknarf

Banned
Just started playing CP tonight, and ugh…

I knew what I was getting into. I just wanted the spectacle of great graphics, and some dumb fun.

Right off the bat big cinematic moment with the back of the ship getting blown up and people getting sucked into space. Main character’s holding on for dear life, as you do the sloooow climb to get to the cockpit. Metal grates tear off the floor as shit flies past.
And there’s my copilot. Sitting in his chair with his ballcap on. With his ballcap on. Great attention to detail.

I can’t adjust graphics setting unless I exit to main menu. Why?

I can’t switch outfits unless I exit to the main menu. Why?

I can’t crouch when I want? It seems like crouch only works when the game requires me to crouch.

Button mash to open doors. Only you really just have to mash three times and the game’s like; you can stop, that’s good enough. Play the rest of the cinematic.

Achievements pause the game when they pop up. This is on Epic Store version.

Your character completely stops to stare at the tutorial screen, like he’s learning alongside the player. Oh, hold left to dodge? Good to know lol.

Anyways I’m testing this out with AMD’s Fluid Motion Frames since it’s slow paced, and it’s working great so far. Frame rate’s in the 300s.

Unfortunately the graphical shine has worn off already. It’s solid looking but I’m just not blown away. Combat is laughably bad. Reminds me of the Werewolf fights in The Order 1886.

Hopefully it improves, but it’s definitely no gem.
The combat is better than the werewolf combat in The Order.
The Order was a rail shooter with QTE sections that was extremely dated

drotahorror

It's not a minor irritation. You actually crawl ands shimmy for like 50% of this game. Backtracking does not help.
And combat left/right/left/right for it's remainder.

I would love to see how long you spend doing that shit, especially for a first time playthrough where you might back track a bit. It's fucking absurd. For a game that only lasts 6 or so hours, those parts absolutely killed the pacing of a short ass game. How can a 6 hour game be paced so badly? Look no further than TCP.

That was my #1 complaint, otherrwise the game was ok.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

But it does have backtracking. In that mining village under the prison for example. You got back through that whole place.
And teh combat is not qte but it's still left right left right. There is nothing else to it and the whole combat breaks down with multiple enemies
the whole place? its one room.

you cant use one instance of backtracking in the entire game to knock it for backtracking. by that logic, almost every game ever made has backtracking.

Eiknarf

Banned
The dodge in TLOU is L2

The dodge in Callisto is L3 left/right

It’s still a button - just one you move instead of press

Reactions: TGO

SlimySnake

It's currently £18 on Xbox, is it worth that?
Yeah as long as you go in with the mindset that its a 7/10 game. its good, not great, but its not a bad game most people made it out to be.

It has insane graphics in the 30 fps mode and they are the main draw. if you are going to play the 60 fps mode, id say dont even bother buying it. its light on story and heavy on combat so enjoy the combat or you wont like it.

Unlock the ability to disregard enemies stopping your melee attacks as your first unlock. dont bother upgrading your weapons. and then upgrade your melee damage and force abilities. you will be a god and have a lot of fun with the combat. most games like this just give you a gun and tell you to go and kill people. this game gives you guns and force star wars abilities AND has a full melee set. its far more involved than 99% of the shooters out there.

I saw Wario tweet about it being on sale for $4 or something a day or two ago. If you *must*, get it for as cheap as you can, I suppose.
Physical? Dang..

Looks like it's still live. Never heard of this company though.

Shipping is 6 dollars though. 10 is still half of 20 though.

Last edited:

Puscifer

I loved the combat. They do a poor job locking a lot of shit behind the skill trees which really hurts the combat as you start out.

But if you dont fuck up and waste skill points in guns, and instead put everything into force and melee attacks, the combat truly fucking shines. I played the game on PS5 then bought on PC, and had a blast on PC because i knew exactly what to upgrade first.

I love how visceral the melee combat feels and the force abiltiies just make everything feel like star wars.
GnL1NAt.gif

I skipped the game last year because everyone kept saying the combat was trash, then saw this video by one of my favorite youtubers, and i was like wait a second. Then I played the game, and after the first couple of hours, it just clicked.

Never thought I'd be reminded that solidrev is a thing on neogaf of all places.

big brother pop GIF by Big Brother After Dark

What makes it '6 as fuck'

One of the best looking games of the generation? ✔
Fresh narrative take on an old setting? ✔
Plays like traditional survival horror but with novel melee combat? ✔
Actually difficult? ✔

I mean, really, a 6?
far from a 6 , I would give it a 8.5 , there was more options in the melee department then Dead space , people were expecting a shooter like Dead space.

It was short, I've bought it and so I finished it. I was waiting for it to get better and then it just ended without any ending...
It's one of very few discs I've sold right after playing

Now, if the game were considered to have a serious fault, it would be this: the ending.

I've heard the DLC settles this a bit, but not much.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'll repost my thoughts
I gave this a 8.3/10 and I stand by it.
It was one of the more enjoyable titles of last year, the DLC sucks though.
Seemed like they gave up because of all the hate and knew it was lost cause.
The main game seemed like one of those good first entry games when the sequel would be something really special.
also like to point out that Dark1X really enjoyed the game and was confused by the hate, but this was on PS5
other platforms did have a lot of problems so a lot of hate has come from that.
It's definitely a game I wanted to see more of and it's a damn shame people hated it before it even released and continued to spam any topics on it with their opinions to badmouth the game with what they've heard from reviews that just couldn't apprehend pressing left & right to dodge.
And I've seen some playthroughs of people who hate the game and they really suck at it and seem to have trouble with the mechanic
I'm not even sure if they're genuine because they suck at it so much 😂
And that's all I think when I hear people diss the game, you can say it's easy all you want but we know the truth 😏

Mr Hyde

Callisto Protocol was a pleasant surprise. Avoided it due to the negative feedback it got from players during release, but I tried it when it was "free" on PS plus. I thought it was pretty cool. The graphics were amazing, very atmospheric and unsettling at times. The melee system wasn't that bad. It did get old at the end of the game but other than that, it felt pretty satisfying to bash in the head of monsters. You could really feel the weight of the punches. It's kinda sad it flopped. It will never get a sequel and Schofield will probably never make another game again.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Sounds like the game gets much better once you’re “leveled up”. Evil West was the same way for me. Started off ok, but by the end the combat was fucking awesome. I was ready to jump right into New Game Plus to continue wrecking enemies.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Playing it right now and having a blast but damn did it just piss me off with the auto saves.

I love the melee combat. I do wish the game would make it more obvious what the beaten path is. In several instances there were multiple ways to go but I couldn’t tell which was the correct way. Id go the correct way but end up getting locked in that direction so I had to reload a save. I do not like the tentacled enemies.

Eiknarf

Banned
Playing it right now and having a blast but damn did it just piss me off with the auto saves.

I love the melee combat. I do wish the game would make it more obvious what the beaten path is. In several instances there were multiple ways to go but I couldn’t tell which was the correct way. Id go the correct way but end up getting locked in that direction so I had to reload a save. I do not like the tentacled enemies.
Well, people in this forum keep saying they “want more realism in video games”

They got it

Because in real life there’s no HUD or light that shoots out of your hand illuminating the way to go

T-0800

You've convinced me to give this a game another go.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

They got it

Because in real life there’s no HUD or light that shoots out of your hand illuminating the way to go
That’s cute. Thanks for sharing.

Its still annoying to go one direction and realize you’re locked into going that way when you would rather have explored.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Agreed on the no back tracking. I wish I could have backtracked in quite a few sections.

SlimySnake

You've convinced me to give this a game another go.
  • Dont upgrade any weapons until you have upgraded your melee skill tree. Dont worry about the block skill. Just dodge the attacks.
  • Immediately Unlock the skill that lets you break through enemy elbow guard. it should be the second one you can unlock.
  • Upgrade your force push skill tree. the final upgrade will obliterate every enemy you push back.
  • Melee Damage and Force Meter upgrades should be the next priority and only when they are done, you can start upgrading your favorite weapons. Though even then there is an awesome melee+weapon combo skill that id upgrade before putting any points into individual weapons.

SlimySnake

save your ammo for the tentacle enemies. there is a skill that automatically targets them during a weapon+melee combo. i wish i knew about that because i thought it only did headshots from the description. But it came in very handy on NG+

you will get used to how they guide you towards the critical path.

SlimySnake

I'll repost my thoughts

It's definitely a game I wanted to see more of and it's a damn shame people hated it before it even released and continued to spam any topics on it with their opinions to badmouth the game with what they've heard from reviews that just couldn't apprehend pressing left & right to dodge.
And I've seen some playthroughs of people who hate the game and they really suck at it and seem to have trouble with the mechanic
I'm not even sure if they're genuine because they suck at it so much 😂
And that's all I think when I hear people diss the game, you can say it's easy all you want but we know the truth 😏
Yeah, sadly one of those games that was poorly marketed and relied upon word of mouth but for some reason the internet chose to hate this game.

honestly, this aside from the story which is weak, this felt like a sony first party game. Visceral combat, incredible next gen graphics, and some of the best looking cutscene models ive ever seen. If you told me this was a sony exclusive i wouldve believed you.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
save your ammo for the tentacle enemies. there is a skill that automatically targets them during a weapon+melee combo. i wish i knew about that because i thought it only did headshots from the description. But it came in very handy on NG+

you will get used to how they guide you towards the critical path.
I do see myself replaying on Maximum Security difficulty with New Game+. I am having fun exploring every nook and cranny, but it also will go much quicker once I play to get “get through”

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I love the melee combat. I do wish the game would make it more obvious what the beaten path is. In several instances there were multiple ways to go but I couldn’t tell which was the correct way. Id go the correct way but end up getting locked in that direction so I had to reload a save.

Yeah, this is annoying with me as well as I’ll try both paths initially and then go with the one that doesn’t seem to be the campaign path. I looked up to see if there was any way to tell, and I read that if the save icon pops up then you’re progressing the campaign. So take the opposite path.

I’ve been locked out of areas I tried to backtrack to that had sellable items, and that’s frustrating. Especially when inventory is so small right now.

They got it

Callisto Protocol isn’t shooting for realism whatsoever.

The developer omitted a QoL feature that can save people from wasting time trying not to get locked out of areas they’d like to explore.

Justin9mm

Youre Wrong Stephen King GIF by CBS All Access

Every game has slow crawl sections these days...

I didn't make an argument for it being a 10. I said it was a 10.

Nothing said yet has made the case for it being a 6.

Perspective is reality, huh?
Dude, combat aside the whole gameplay loop was crawling or shimmying from one area to the next, nearly the whole fucking game. It was ridiculously insane how much of this was the game. What are you on.

Mahavastu

Why does every game have to have slow crawling sections? It certainly detracts from the flow.
That game was also available on last gen consoles (PS4/XBone), and on those consoles those crawling sections are hidden load screens during loading the next level.
Current gen only games should not need those parts anymore because fast SSDs.

StereoVsn

That game was also available on last gen consoles (PS4/XBone), and on those consoles those crawling sections are hidden load screens during loading the next level.
Current gen only games should not need those parts anymore because fast SSDs.
Ahh, that certainly explains it. See FFVIIR corridors to shimmy through.

I genuinely thought Callisto was only on next gen systems.

Top Bottom