• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto protocol is a hidden Gem Now

Eiknarf

Banned
Dead Space as a shooter (9)
Dead Space with melee combat (3)
Dead Space has STASIS (slow down time) (9)
Dead Space story (8)
Dead Space weapon switching (8)
Dead Space Score: 7.4

Callisto as a shooter (8)
Callisto with melee combat (6)
Callisto has GRP (lift and launch objects) (9)
Callisto story (8)
Callisto weapon switching (6)
Callisto Score: 7.4

Both games are equal, yet different

No need to hate either

Last edited:

angrod14

I got it on PS Plus Essential and thought it wasn't even worth my time. The game is melee-focused, yet the melee sucks. The character movement feels supper laggy, tanky. The shooting sucks. The enemies suck (specially the robot ones). Graphics are good, but artistically the game is tremendously uninspired, all enviroments look the same. The characters are super bland. Some sections feel really unbalanced in terms of difficulty.

The Order is the Sixtine Chapel compared to this.

Last edited:
hidden gem implies the game is good. CP is just mediocre. Very basic, yet highly repetitive gameplay and bad level design makes for extremely boring experience quick, not to mention all the performance issues at launch. Plus they tried to monetize animations.

It got overhyped because it was presented in a nice coat of paint.

Hudo

It is peak comedy that the Dead Space people left EA because EA refused to do anything with the IP after they fucked it up with Dead Space 3. These people then decided to make The Callisto Protocol, a spiritual successor to Dead Space, only for EA to greenlight a remake of the first game, which coincidentally was then released in the same time frame as Callisto Protocol was. And that remake by EA was leagues ahead of Callisto Protocol in terms of game design.

I would almost claim that this move was deliberate but the reality was probably that Callisto Protocol wasn't even announced when EA greenlit the remake.

It is peak comedy that the Dead Space people left EA because EA refused to do anything with the IP after they fucked it up with Dead Space 3. These people then decided to make The Callisto Protocol, a spiritual successor to Dead Space, only for EA to greenlight a remake of the first game, which coincidentally was then released in the same time frame as Callisto Protocol was. And that remake by EA was leagues ahead of Callisto Protocol in terms of game design.

I would almost claim that this move was deliberate but the reality was probably that Callisto Protocol wasn't even announced when EA greenlit the remake.
It's ironic I'll give you that, I already own the DS remake which is why I've held off buying CP but I do like horror games. I'm just put off by the comparisons of the 2 games and CP doesn't come off very favourably.

Justin9mm

Within 30 minutes of playing last night I’d crawled through three vent sections and one shimmy section.

I’m surprised noone’s made a compilation video of every vent crawling section.
I thought the exact same thing. It should be fucking meme

If you made it a drinking game and you had to drink every time you had to crawl through a vent or shimmy through a tight space, you'd be dead!

Last edited:

T-0800

Yeah as long as you go in with the mindset that its a 7/10 game. its good, not great, but its not a bad game most people made it out to be.

It has insane graphics in the 30 fps mode and they are the main draw. if you are going to play the 60 fps mode, id say dont even bother buying it. its light on story and heavy on combat so enjoy the combat or you wont like it.

Unlock the ability to disregard enemies stopping your melee attacks as your first unlock. dont bother upgrading your weapons. and then upgrade your melee damage and force abilities. you will be a god and have a lot of fun with the combat. most games like this just give you a gun and tell you to go and kill people. this game gives you guns and force star wars abilities AND has a full melee set. its far more involved than 99% of the shooters out there.
You and a couple of others made me go back to this game and I'm having a great time. Just made it to the outside snowy area and I'm finding combat enjoyable. Thanks.

I think if people approached this like a PS1 Resident Evil they would have a great time.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I finally finished the game and DLC. Riot mode was suprisingly fun. Overall I agree with what I think most people who have played it will feel.

It's decent. Has some great moments. The atmostphere is top notch and when it works, it works. One on one melee combat can be fun.

However, when the game sucks it flat out sucks. Certain sections dragged on for far too long and felt like a chore to get through, specifically the part where you get separated from another character and just when you get back together, you get separated again. Once enemies start to get tougher, the combat really starts to fall apart and in many parts I was not having fun. The checkpoint system was very iffy. The DLC had a bunch of hallucination sections and if I could get rid of one thing in games, it's those types of sections that cheaply manufacture scares.

The boss battles in this game were absolutely awful, especially a part that takes place on a platform. Fuck that part. I wanted to rage quit so often. Bullet sponges and things like switching weapons were such a huge hassle during tense moments. The game became cheap and I was not having fun in those spots. After I completed them and figured out a good way to attack, they were less awful, SO there's that.

Now that it's over and I know what to expect, would I recommend Callisto Protocol? Yeah, sure. I give the game a 7/10. Same score I give Starfield. Spiderman 2 and Alan Wake 2 got an 8.

If you do play it and aren't obsessed with achievements/trophies then play it on the easiest difficulty. Even on that difficulty you can still get killed.

Last edited:
People bitching about crawling through vents in CP...I played 3 months ago GOW Ragnarok. Theres more squeezing through a rock in GOW than there is vents in CP. Yet nobody mentioned that repetative gameplay, in fact game got glowing reviews.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Warms my heart every time this thread is bumped

GOTY 2022
love-heart.gif

Eiknarf

Banned
I finally finished the game and DLC. Riot mode was suprisingly fun. Overall I agree with what I think most people who have played it will feel.

It's decent. Has some great moments. The atmostphere is top notch and when it works, it works. One on one melee combat can be fun.

However, when the game sucks it flat out sucks. Certain sections dragged on for far too long and felt like a chore to get through, specifically the part where you get separated from another character and just when you get back together, you get separated again. Once enemies start to get tougher, the combat really starts to fall apart and in many parts I was not having fun. The checkpoint system was very iffy. The DLC had a bunch of hallucination sections and if I could get rid of one thing in games, it's those types of sections that cheaply manufacture scares.

The boss battles in this game were absolutely awful, especially a part that takes place on a platform. Fuck that part. I wanted to rage quit so often. Bullet sponges and things like switching weapons were such a huge hassle during tense moments. The game became cheap and I was not having fun in those spots. After I completed them and figured out a good way to attack, they were less awful, SO there's that.

Now that it's over and I know what to expect, would I recommend Callisto Protocol? Yeah, sure. I give the game a 7/10. Same score I give Starfield. Spiderman 2 and Alan Wake 2 got an 8.

If you do play it and aren't obsessed with achievements/trophies then play it on the easiest difficulty. Even on that difficulty you can still get killed.
Yes. This is one game where you SHOULD play on easy.
One thing the harder difficulty settings do is prolong the number of dodges and strikes you have to do to defeat an enemy. It’s just more repetition. No need for that.

The harder difficulty also makes the enemy more of a bullet sponge

Easy/minimum security = dodge, hit, dodge, hit, win

Hard/maximum security = dodge, hit, dodge, hit, dodge, hit, dodge, hit, win.

Doczu

Hidden gem? Nah, but still an ok game.
Didn't like the stupid combat dance on higher difficulties, but other than that i did like what i got (for free on ps plus).

Clover904

I agree. It was a pretty good game, and a brilliant foundation for a future franchise. Sucks that people didn’t support it, or waited for the game to be in the bargain bin. Too little, too late.

Lunarorbit

I played this after ps essentials put it on the network. Beat dead space for the 1st time on ps3 in February and then tried calistto.

Yikes. Definitely not for me. The combat was an absolute slog and made me stop playing after a few hours.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I just finished the second “big” enemy fight , and I’m pretty sure I’m near the end. Got the Assault Rifle, which I’ve read is great for the end game. I’ve also read that the shotgun and Skunk Gun are the best weapons in the game.

Callisto despite its flaws has been very enjoyable. People questioning a $5 purchase - buy it. This game is absolutely worth a play through.

Eiknarf

Banned
I just finished the second “big” enemy fight , and I’m pretty sure I’m near the end. Got the Assault Rifle, which I’ve read is great for the end game. I’ve also read that the shotgun and Skunk Gun are the best weapons in the game.

Callisto despite its flaws has been very enjoyable. People questioning a $5 purchase - buy it. This game is absolutely worth a play through.
Now that you have the Assault Rifle, when you play New Game Plus it’s awesome to have from the beginning (when you make your first weapon)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Finished the main game, which I think got better as I progressed and powered up.

Playing The Final Transmission, which is okay so far, but the Kinetic Hammer is *chef’s fucking kiss* utter devastation. I’m guessing/hoping I can use this is my New Game Plus playthrough, because it just obliterates shit.

Eiknarf

Banned
Finished the main game, which I think got better as I progressed and powered up.

Playing The Final Transmission, which is okay so far, but the Kinetic Hammer is *chef’s fucking kiss* utter devastation. I’m guessing/hoping I can use this is my New Game Plus playthrough, because it just obliterates shit.
Unfortunately No
because
The Final Transmission is just a dream

That said, the Kinetic Hammer is a powerhouse of awesomeness.
Name a weapon that you can FEEL that much in any other game (if you're playing on a PS5 with a Dualsense). Fuck playing on PC with a mouse and fuck playing on XBOX. They don't have haptics or trigger effects)

Last edited:

damidu

tried on ps plus.
agree the game has an initial wow factor because of the insane presentation, but you see the issues that plagued it pretty quick.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Unfortunately No
because
The Final Transmission is just a dream

That said, the Kinetic Hammer is a powerhouse of awesomeness.
Name a weapon that you can FEEL that much in any other game (if you're playing on a PS5 with a Dualsense). Fuck playing on PC with a mouse and fuck playing on XBOX. They don't have haptics or trigger effects)

I’m going to have to see if there’s a PC mod that puts it in the main game, because that hammer is badass.

Certinty

I don’t think it’s a bad game.

But it was so boring to say the least. I got maybe half way through and just gave up.

Top Bottom