• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto protocol is a hidden Gem Now

Eiknarf

Banned
I was one of the few people here who enjoyed the game when launched while everyone shat on it.

Sadly this game will be lumped into the order/ryse/days gone group where a very solid entry new ip game will never get a sequel that would go crazy.
Is a Days Gone sequel definitely squashed?

People tend to love the game now (after the patches).

Cyberpunk 2077 was hated even more when it launched. Look at it now.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Ive played DG numerous times (prob in my top 15) and I have no idea what you're talking about:messenger_tears_of_joy:

The NERO guy that was helping with finding your wife (O'Neil ?) was actually infected from the start and was in advanced stage of the new, super mutation - actually, the whole thing is even more fucked since NERO, apparently, infected its whole personnel on purpose.
The final scene where he takes his mask off showing his mutation with Deacon watching in disbelief (and fear) while O'Neil grunts and super -jumps back to the chopper is really nicely done.

ALSO, if you think about it, Deacon was injecting himself with the "boosters" throughout the game, something which could have had obvious repercussions story wise in the sequel

...pretty cool stuff if you ask me 😉

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The NERO guy that was helping you find your wife (O'Neil ?) was actually infected and was in advanced stage of the super mutation - actually, the whole thing is even more fucked since NERO purposefully infected it's personnel.

ALSO, if you think about it, Deacon was injecting himself with the "boosters" throughout the game, something which could have had obvious repercussions story wise in the sequel

...pretty cool stuff if you ask me 😉

Ohhhhh yes
what's basically the secret ending or rather, the real ending. Fucking O'Brien, taking off his helmet and then leaping into the helicopter was a true WTF moment and really got the gears spinning for me in terms of what a sequel could do. Especially because throughout the game when you would spy on the NERO guys gathering intel on the hordes you were gradually learning that the freaks actually had a form of intelligence and that it was...increasing over time? It was something really creepy and cool, like fuck Deke what have you gotten yourself into man...
LOVE IT

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Ohhhhh yes
what's basically the secret ending or rather, the real ending. Fucking O'Brien, taking off his helmet and then leaping into the helicopter was a true WTF moment and really got the gears spinning for me in terms of what a sequel could do. Especially because throughout the game when you would spy on the NERO guys gathering intel on the hordes you were gradually learning that the freaks actually had a form of intelligence and that it was...increasing over time? It was something really creepy and cool, like fuck Deke what have you gotten yourself into man...
LOVE IT

Exactly, bro, exactly...
Man, it really was more than "MC rednecks shooting at zombies", shame then that the usual suspects/idiots got hung up with the whole "ride me like your bike" thing during the wedding cutscene...

Man, of all the Sony Ubisoft -like titles, this is the one I've enjoyed the most, even more than Ghost of Tsushima (which I'm about to finish).

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Exactly, bro, exactly...
Man, it really was more than "MC rednecks shooting at zombies", shame then that the usual suspects/idiots got hung up with the whole "ride me like your bike" thing during the wedding cutscene...

Man, of all the Sony Ubisoft -like titles, this is the one I've enjoyed the most, even more than Ghost of Tsushima (which I'm about to finish).

Ive never seen such levels of ignorant unwarranted hate towards a game that wasnt going to be played by those anyway. It was so much more than your garden variety pew pew zombies in the apocalypse game. An army vet searching for years for his wife amongst a broken infected world. It's a simple story that can be told in so many wrong ways and they managed to do it beautifully I thought.

Days Gone is a much better game than I expected. Completely agree on that one. The combat is actually really good and the compound level designs are way above most open world games. It still has oen-world-itis on some levels but I thought it was a ton of fun. I couldn't give a shit less if a game's story is bad.

engstra

Massive stretch to call this a hidden gem when it was a highly anticipated title that pretty much all reviewers covered.

The game is just okay, I enjoyed my time with but would be lying if I didn't say it has a lot of issues.

SkylineRKR

Dropped it after the 4th chapter. The game doesn't seem to change, its every time the same crawling, the same encounters and pretty much the same everything. The lack of a map is dumb too, as you might miss an optional room if you advance the correct path too far.

A linear game can work if the story was engaging and the set pieces were interesting but I absolutely hated the combat so for me there was little incentive to keep playing this game.

I also have DS Remake on my backlog, which should be superior as the original was already.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Currently playing it on PS5. I am very pleased and pleasantly surprised of how good this game is.

I read all the reports about how the game was broken and it probably was. I guessed all the issues have been ironed out because after 8 hours I have had 0 issues or bugs.

The game has a lot of positives going for it

+ Great graphics and atmosphere
+ interesting story with interesting characters
+ Fun and brutal combat
+ easily set up for a franchise

If you played it before and it stunk I would suggest trying it again. I just started playing it a week ago and had a blast.
I'm almost done, I did like The Callisto protocol, it has many positive things, the graphics are cinematic like a good budget movie.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Kinda hard to top
anime-baki.gif

05t-hXufSqtfydMWx6tKf0B2gzqurOwcAW1Z81QYvQjdLNBuWVOnRikxwlReIQHX1hF1czPfbOvA2Yx12BK7mcr5QfK7tRiSnumWx3UoUIpYaiEw11BluY71E9xH4DW-
Stop fighting.

🙈

• LOL
Reactions: TGO

Reave

If people didn’t compare every fucking nook and cranny of this game against Dead Space and simply took it for what it was, I think the reception would have been a little better.

Not a perfect game by any means, but it wasn’t THAT damn bad.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
So, I finished it the other day after being stuck for days on that damned elevator part leading me to drop the game :

The game - at least on hard difficulty and above - is friggin' unbalanced and shows a lack of proper playtesting most probably due to them wanting to release it earlier.

There's just many scenarios where you're supposed to use your guns with you actually being low on ammo or even worse, with no ammo at all having to fight the 2headed boss not once but actually thrice.
This isn't my 1st survival rodeo so it's not about not being careful with ammo/not conserving it, the game just doesn't provide you with enough and the fact that the loot in containers/each time you kill an enemy is completely random doesn't help at all.
1st 2headed enemy scenario (elevator part) is the only one were the game actually showers you with ammo making you understand that there's an incoming boss battle, problem is, you get to fight this guy 2 other times with almost no ammo at all which leads to constant trial and error and checkpoint restart - it's just not fun and takes.you out of the whole immersion, just awful stuff...
Couple that with the fact that enemy weakpoints seem almost random and shit becomes even more infuriating: sometimes you can bring the 2headed guy down with 8-9-10 shotgun blasts by shooting him in the face while others you can unload on him double the amount until he reaches the down on its knees phase where you can 3hit melee him, it just doesn't add up...

What else ? Ah yes, the "stealth" sections are completely idiotic since you can backstab enemies close to each other without alerting them - it's just a stupid way of prolonging some game sections since you'll be crawling for minutes at a time trying to progress.

The game and its lvl ip system (at least on hard) is super stingy since there's just no way for you to fully lvl up even 1 weapon/ability category leading you to half-arse everything putting some points here and there basically becoming a jack of all trades master of none.

The melee systems start as half arsed and remain half arsed and unenjoyable, it's basically a QTE and when there's more than 1-2 enemies involved...oh boy, everything falls apart with the camera spazzing out and disorientating you all the time.

The amount of vent/tight spot crawling is comedic.

The story is cliche and banal with no redeeming quality whatsoever, plus, it's not scary at all.

All in all, the game gives you the impression that they tried their best worst as to differentiate it as much as possible from Dead space that in the end comes off as "dead space not dead space! ".
It's an..."experiment" that didn't work out as they hoped for and the bad critical and player reception shows it, a sequel could have fixed many things but with striking distance being disbanded due to the game flopping...it ain't gonna happen anytime soon or, at all.

Graphics do not a good game make and this game is the prime example.

It's the most 6- 6.5/10 game of the last few years, I guess it kinda entertained me since I did finish it after all but...it left a sour taste in my mouth in the end.

Played it on PS plus, had I spent 60-70 eurodollars on this I'd be frothing at the mouth

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

So, I finished it the other day after being stuck for days on that damned elevator part leading me to drop the game :

The game - at least on hard difficulty and above - is friggin' unbalanced and shows a lack of proper playtesting most probably due to them wanting to release it earlier.

There's just many scenarios where you're supposed to use your guns with you actually being low on ammo or even worse, with no ammo at all having to fight the 2headed boss not once but actually thrice.
This isn't my 1st survival rodeo so it's not about not being careful with ammo/not conserving it, the game just doesn't provide you with enough and the fact that the loot in containers/each time you kill an enemy is completely random doesn't help at all.
1st 2headed enemy scenario (elevator part) is the only one were the game actually showers you with ammo making you understand that there's an incoming boss battle, problem is, you get to fight this guy 2 other times with almost no ammo at all which leads to constant trial and error and checkpoint restart - it's just not fun and takes.you out of the whole immersion, just awful stuff...
Couple that with the fact that enemy weakpoints seem almost random and shit becomes even more infuriating: sometimes you can bring the 2headed guy down with 8-9-10 shotgun blasts by shooting him in the face while others you can unload on him double the amount until he reaches the down on its knees phase where you can 3hit melee him, it just doesn't add up...

What else ? Ah yes, the "stealth" sections are completely idiotic since you can backstab enemies close to each other without alerting them - it's just a stupid way of prolonging some game sections since you'll be crawling for minutes at a time trying to progress.

Something curious happened to me, there was a biophage or whatever they are called, it had seen me but I ran and hid for a long time, but it was already calm and walking, Biophage, I wanted to stab him in the back and I couldn't... A game bug.

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
The biggest problem with this game is that you needed to buy a $15 DLC to see the “true” ending. The campaign alone was insufferable enough, but then they wanted you to buy more game for more suffering to see what effectively amounted to a time waster of a DLC

Last edited:
Currently playing it on PS5. I am very pleased and pleasantly surprised of how good this game is.

I read all the reports about how the game was broken and it probably was. I guessed all the issues have been ironed out because after 8 hours I have had 0 issues or bugs.

The game has a lot of positives going for it

+ Great graphics and atmosphere
+ interesting story with interesting characters
+ Fun and brutal combat
+ easily set up for a franchise

If you played it before and it stunk I would suggest trying it again. I just started playing it a week ago and had a blast.
The magic of lowered expectations in practice right here.

Field

I have to admit I enjoyed this more than Re4. I would still have regretted it had I spent 70$ for this game.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just started playing CP tonight, and ugh…

I knew what I was getting into. I just wanted the spectacle of great graphics, and some dumb fun.

Right off the bat big cinematic moment with the back of the ship getting blown up and people getting sucked into space. Main character’s holding on for dear life, as you do the sloooow climb to get to the cockpit. Metal grates tear off the floor as shit flies past.
And there’s my copilot. Sitting in his chair with his ballcap on. With his ballcap on. Great attention to detail.

I can’t adjust graphics setting unless I exit to main menu. Why?

I can’t switch outfits unless I exit to the main menu. Why?

I can’t crouch when I want? It seems like crouch only works when the game requires me to crouch.

Button mash to open doors. Only you really just have to mash three times and the game’s like; you can stop, that’s good enough. Play the rest of the cinematic.

Achievements pause the game when they pop up. This is on Epic Store version.

Your character completely stops to stare at the tutorial screen, like he’s learning alongside the player. Oh, hold left to dodge? Good to know lol.

Anyways I’m testing this out with AMD’s Fluid Motion Frames since it’s slow paced, and it’s working great so far. Frame rate’s in the 300s.

Unfortunately the graphical shine has worn off already. It’s solid looking but I’m just not blown away. Combat is laughably bad. Reminds me of the Werewolf fights in The Order 1886.

Hopefully it improves, but it’s definitely no gem.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

I really enjoyed Callisto even after it's back lash, but, Dead space orig and the remake was a much better game, it already had all the elements in place, the combat is so much more satisfying.

Glen just forgot what made DS so great, sound. That was completely missed in Callisto. I never felt any tension, fear.. some small moments but it never set the mood for me.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
One thing I love about Dead Space that I can’t believe wasn’t copied, was the ability to see which direction I should be heading.

It was perfect for branching paths, because you could take the other direction to explore, without fear of getting locked out of the other path.

Last night I came to a pretty sizable branched path, which is great. Except I wasn’t sure which was the campaign path and which was the path that led to bonus item pickups. The shitty part was a long shaft I crawled through a couple times while trying to figure things out.

Getting back to the combat, it still cracks me up. Monster guy jumps out, then jumps back and we get into position. Ok you go and then I’ll go. Then you go and I’ll go. Too funny lol

LordCBH

Getting back to the combat, it still cracks me up. Monster guy jumps out, then jumps back and we get into position. Ok you go and then I’ll go. Then you go and I’ll go. Too funny lol

God I wish the combat was good. The stuff surrounding it was pretty good. The atmosphere was good, graphically it was pretty. But holy shit the combat was so bad.

Diddy X

People here don't like it but also here they say DS remake is great and after playing it I can say it's just a good game nothing more, I can tell CP has better graphics which were disappointing in DSR so I want to try it eventually.

Last edited:
Yeah, that’s just insane talk. Level design sucked, combat sucked, and f all the slow crawl sections.

Like you can make an argument for a 7/10 game, maybe, but a 10/10? That’s being disconnected from reality.
Youre Wrong Stephen King GIF by CBS All Access

Every game has slow crawl sections these days...

I didn't make an argument for it being a 10. I said it was a 10.

Nothing said yet has made the case for it being a 6.

Perspective is reality, huh?

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Youre Wrong Stephen King GIF by CBS All Access

Every game has slow crawl sections these days...

I didn't make an argument for it being a 10. I said it was a 10.

Nothing said yet has made the case for it being a 6.

Perspective is reality, huh?
Why does every game have to have slow crawling sections? It certainly detracts from the flow.

Level design in general was not great. Combat was awful?

The above get the game down to a 7 or so I feel. I wasn’t arguing for a 6, but I could see the game being that low for some folks. Hell, if I paid $70 for this I would have rated it a 5, lol.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
This game is bad:

-0 scary parts
-only 1 boss
-little to no gun customization
-shimmy simulator
-combat is auto pilot
-no difficulty once you know how to fight
-ran like cheeks on launch

Why does every game have to have slow crawling sections? It certainly detracts from the flow.

Level design in general was not great. Combat was awful?

The above get the game down to a 7 or so I feel. I wasn’t arguing for a 6, but I could see the game being that low for some folks. Hell, if I paid $70 for this I would have rated it a 5, lol.

I don't disagree with you. I hate slow crawl here just as much as when it shows up in Final Fantasy. It's bad game design.

Still while a minor irritation, it knocks a game down a point? Several?

And What made the combat so much worse than RE or DS?

IIRC, it plays pretty similarly with the exception of the melee aspects.

I don't want to give the impression that the game is my favorite or anything, but it has insane production values, novel narrative, and insane graphics.

Nevertheless, and this is directed at anyone making the case, if this game is a 6 then using that same logic and reference point on the scale, show me a games that are 5 and 7.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't disagree with you. I hate slow crawl here just as much as when it shows up in Final Fantasy. It's bad game design.

Still while a minor irritation, it knocks a game down a point? Several?

And What made the combat so much worse than RE or DS?

IIRC, it plays pretty similarly with the exception of the melee aspects.

I don't want to give the impression that the game is my favorite or anything, but it has insane production values, novel narrative, and insane graphics.

Nevertheless, and this is directed at anyone making the case, if this game is a 6 then using that same logic and reference point on the scale, show me a games that are 5 and 7.
It's not a minor irritation. You actually crawl ands shimmy for like 50% of this game. Backtracking does not help.
And combat left/right/left/right for it's remainder.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
God I wish the combat was good. The stuff surrounding it was pretty good. The atmosphere was good, graphically it was pretty. But holy shit the combat was so bad.
I loved the combat. They do a poor job locking a lot of shit behind the skill trees which really hurts the combat as you start out.

But if you dont fuck up and waste skill points in guns, and instead put everything into force and melee attacks, the combat truly fucking shines. I played the game on PS5 then bought on PC, and had a blast on PC because i knew exactly what to upgrade first.

I love how visceral the melee combat feels and the force abiltiies just make everything feel like star wars.
GnL1NAt.gif

I skipped the game last year because everyone kept saying the combat was trash, then saw this video by one of my favorite youtubers, and i was like wait a second. Then I played the game, and after the first couple of hours, it just clicked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom