• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto protocol is a hidden Gem Now

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
anime-baki.gif
203005c4ae0b199ecc8469697716c40e.gif

OP has some low tier expectations. That is saying something because my expectations are not that high.

Positives:

Graphics

Negatives:

Everything else

That's my take, too. I finally beat this shit on the hardest difficulty and had no fucking desire to replay it. Although, I can see myself revisiting it on a cheap difficulty for a possible 100%. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

Neolombax

Are you genuinely feeling this way OP or are you kinder towards it because its on PS Plus? I have no opinion on this game as I steer clear off horror games.

The day 1 experience of Callisto was great and the hype from the cliffhanger ending was real, but the FINAL TRANSMISSION being as bad as it
was/is has completely soured my perception of the game now.

The feel of the gameplay and sped-up animations from all the patches makes the game feel so off compared to v1.0. It's also hard to replay it knowing the ending that it leads up to.
Complete disappointment.

RIP Callisto Protocol.

Neff

It's become cool to exaggerate the game's faults for some reason but yeah it's fun little ride, and the positives outweigh the negatives overall. I don't think its length or breadth of content justifies its original asking price nor its excessively large budget/production values, and it does itself more harm than good by openly inviting comparisons to Dead Space (which it loses to in almost every way), but as a horror shooter fan it felt unique enough to mostly be worth the time I spent with it, despite clearly feeling undercooked in terms of ideas/mechanics/strategy/level design.

Very beautiful, fairly good fun, too short, not enough variety.

People hated it 'cause they wanted it to be like Dead Space, so they didnt embrace the game's combat for what it was. It's great. Simple, but very satisfying. The game is not 20h long, so the combat doesnt overstay its welcome.

I agree with this but Dead Space justifies its longer play time by having significantly more enemy and weapon types, meaning you're always asked to adapt your strategy, so it rarely gets dull. With Callisto, you basically either use the same melee combo/critical finisher on 90% of enemies or throw them for an instant kill. I've always said that Callisto deserves to be judged on its own merits, because it does have new ideas, but comparisons are inevitable, and there's no getting around the fact that Dead Space simply has so much more in it to keep the player surprised and engaged.

Last edited:

Famipan

Days Gone’s Deacon St John is hidden behind Callisto Protocol’s protagonist who’s actor Sam said in The Days Gone Podcast interview how he brought inspiration from Deacon into the Callisto protagonist.

It’s the only reason I’m interested in Callisto Protocol :)

Regardless of its quality, it cant be a hidden gem because it received a decent amount of marketing and promotion prior to its release.

Eiknarf

Banned
Always has been, OP

Bugs were never the problem. It was polished even on day one (on consoles, at least).

In fact it was better, imo, 'cause they have changed some animations and other stuff since then to make the game easier in hopes of getting more players. Didnt work, and they've nerfed the game for nothing.

People hated it 'cause they wanted it to be like Dead Space, so they didnt embrace the game's combat for what it was. It's great. Simple, but very satisfying. The game is not 20h long, so the combat doesnt overstay its welcome.

Talking about length, its also perfect. Not too short, not too long. This game came as a blessing in a wave of overbloated games that we have in the market.

And the visuals? Phew. Still have some of the best, if not the best models on the market.
The baton (and DLC hammer thing) combat was very satisfying to me. You can literally feel the hits

Eiknarf

Banned
I bought it 63€ on day one, as a HUGE fan of Dead Space I was 100% sure I'd love the game. I am 40yo since 1 month and since 3 decades I've never been really disappointed by a purchase, that game was my biggest disappointment.

I launch the game on day one, totally hyped, I start to play, there's the tutorial for combat and I am like WHAT. THE. FUCK. I understood NOTHING, I kept playing a couple of hours but no, no way, I DON'T UNDERSTAND anything about how to fight, moving sticks in I dunno which sense...

It annoyed me so much that I dropped that game faster than I've ever dropped a game. I still have it though and someone told me "it is patched now, it's fine" but the trauma is still too big. :(
I don’t know about day one launch, but it’s the most intuitive melee combat so far. Move left if you want to dodge left — move right if you wanna dodge right

StueyDuck

Currently playing it on PS5. I am very pleased and pleasantly surprised of how good this game is.

I read all the reports about how the game was broken and it probably was. I guessed all the issues have been ironed out because after 8 hours I have had 0 issues or bugs.

The game has a lot of positives going for it

+ Great graphics and atmosphere
+ interesting story with interesting characters
+ Fun and brutal combat
+ easily set up for a franchise

If you played it before and it stunk I would suggest trying it again. I just started playing it a week ago and had a blast.
from what people have said with their gripes, it seems like it was far too hyped up and people had far too high expectations for the game.

if you play it as a casual "hidden gem" experience and aren't expecting it to change your world views or life experiences, it really is a fairly good time, not the best game ever but it's a decent enough time for those who enjoy linear horror experiences. The acting and production values are decent, the visuals are pretty stunning and the story is serviceable, combat works fine albeit repetitive, enemy designs are few but different at least from one another, all in all, worth the 8-10 hours, in and out, one and done.

Last edited:

Certinty

I don't know what to think of the game.

I got half way through it and it wasn't bad but at the same time it was just so dull?

Such a weird one but either way I dropped it at that point.

Hugare

It's become cool to exaggerate the game's faults for some reason but yeah it's fun little ride, and the positives outweigh the negatives overall. I don't think its length or breadth of content justifies its original asking price nor its excessively large budget/production values, and it does itself more harm than good by openly inviting comparisons to Dead Space (which it loses to in almost every way), but as a horror shooter fan it felt unique enough to mostly be worth the time I spent with it, despite clearly feeling undercooked in terms of ideas/mechanics/strategy/level design.

Very beautiful, fairly good fun, too short, not enough variety.

I agree with this but Dead Space justifies its longer play time by having significantly more enemy and weapon types, meaning you're always asked to adapt your strategy, so it rarely gets dull. With Callisto, you basically either use the same melee combo/critical finisher on 90% of enemies or throw them for an instant kill. I've always said that Callisto deserves to be judged on its own merits, because it does have new ideas, but comparisons are inevitable, and there's no getting around the fact that Dead Space simply has so much more in it to keep the player surprised and engaged.
Sorry man, but I have to disagree

Dead Space has the same amount of enemy types as Callisto. And you kill them all the same way.

You shoot the legs, then shoot the arms, and thats it. One of the reasons why you can finish the game with any weapon, even the plasma cutter, 'cause they dont matter.

I've finished DS 1 and 2 with the plasma cutter recently, 'cause whats the point in using the flamethrower? It doesnt cut limbs. The pulse rifle? It takes longer to cut limbs, and if you hit the belly of the fat enemy, it drops babies.
The saw was the only one useful enough, but you had to get close to the enemies for it to be useful.

The plasma cutter was the best weapon in the game and you get it first. Its much better to just upgrade it fully and drop the rest.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Sorry man, but I have to disagree

Dead Space has the same amount of enemy types as Callisto. And you kill them all the same way.

You shoot the legs, then shoot the arms, and thats it. One of the reasons why you can finish the game with any weapon, even the plasma cutter, 'cause they dont matter.

I've finished DS 1 and 2 with the plasma cutter recently, 'cause whats the point in using the flamethrower? It doesnt cut limbs. The pulse rifle? It takes longer to cut limbs, and if you hit the belly of the fat enemy, it drops babies.
The saw was the only one useful enough, but you had to get close to the enemies for it to be useful.

The plasma cutter was the better weapon in the game and you get it first. Its much better to just upgrade ir fully and drop the rest.
This.

And that’s why I don’t compare em. They have different types of gameplay. But if we have to, well, here it goes:

Dead Space is a great shooter (9 out 10)

Dead Space has horrendous melee (3 out of 10)

Dead Space has stasis/slow down (9 out of 10)

Averaging a (7) for combat

Callisto is a very good shooter (8 out of 10)

Callisto has good melee (7 out of 10)

Callisto has GRP/lift things/launch (9 out of 10)

Averaging an (8) for combat

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Please don't lump Dead Space in with this game lol. Dead Space is a *much* better game.

Better combat, better pacing, more varied environments, you don't spend 1/3rd of the game in vents or shimmying along walls.

Last edited:

Hugare

Please don't lump Dead Space in with this game lol. Dead Space is a *much* better game.

Better combat, better pacing, more varied environments, you don't spend 1/3rd of the game in vents or shimmying along walls.
It is the better game

Better pacing, more varied environments (2, right? Dont you dare say this about the first), "you dont spend 1/3rd of the game in vents" (fair enough)

But better combat? As I've posted here before, it consists of 2 shots on the legs + 2 for the arms for every enemy in the game. You can use other weapons, but the most effective one is the first one that you get.

I love the DS games. I would even put DS 2 above RE 4.

But certainly not due to gameplay.

People need to check for their nostalgia googles asap

Hugare

The point about DS Remake being the better game of the two also stands, higher even 🤷‍♂️
Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

This was never in discussion, was it? I said so myself

My point was always about the combat. It hasnt changed with the remake. And it's worse then Callisto, imo.

Explained why and so did Eiknarf Eiknarf

Saying DS has better combat is very debatable

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Saying DS has better combat is very debatable

Of course, we're debating.

Both games have a very repetitive combat formula, Dead Space is more focused on guns, Callisto is more melee oriented. Dead Space's melee is rudamentary, Callisto's gun play is mediocre. Dead Space, to me, is the more enjoyable of the two even in combat as the enemies don't just zone out completely when you're 1 v 1'ing something, like in Callisto, where in a room of 4 enemies, the other 3 will very patiently wait their turns.

Currently playing it on PS5. I am very pleased and pleasantly surprised of how good this game is.

I read all the reports about how the game was broken and it probably was. I guessed all the issues have been ironed out because after 8 hours I have had 0 issues or bugs.

The game has a lot of positives going for it

+ Great graphics and atmosphere
+ interesting story with interesting characters
+ Fun and brutal combat
+ easily set up for a franchise

If you played it before and it stunk I would suggest trying it again. I just started playing it a week ago and had a blast.

I think the biggest complaints were with the enemy AI and the monotony of the gameplay.

The latter point is kinda subjective because I think it's based on how engaged you are with the combat system.

But from your time with the game, can you speak to the enemy AI issue? Did you see any issues?

Callisto boils down to a QTE every time you engage in melee. Left Right Left R2 or...Right Left Right R2. That is not good melee combat. On top of that, the shit magnetizes you into the enemy from 10 feet away so your angles don't even matter.

I bought it Day 1. I had no reason to hate a game I was excited for two years for. It's still a bargain bin Dead Space knockoff devoid of anything that makes that series fun to play. You know you're about to play a shitty game when it opens with straight hallways filled with nothing but about five SMASH TRIANGLE button prompt doors in a row.

Dead Space Remake is a masterclass, Callisto is a failure on every level.

Beechos

I was one of the few people here who enjoyed the game when launched while everyone shat on it.

Sadly this game will be lumped into the order/ryse/days gone group where a very solid entry new ip game will never get a sequel that would go crazy.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I was one of the few people here who enjoyed the game when launched while everyone shat on it.

Sadly this game will be lumped into the order/ryse/days gone group where a very solid entry new ip game will never get a sequel that would go crazy.

Days Gone, in the state that's right now is not only a decent game but actually pretty darned good...
Solid gfx, satisfying shooting, nice atmosphere and the story is worth it just for that twist.
It takes a good 5-6 hours to get going but when it does...

It's a solid 7.5/10 game, Callisto on the other hand is a 6 at best no matter how polished or good it looks since from a gameplay perspective is a friggin' slog and doesn't really get better, shit, just the elevator part is enough to knock another point from it.

The title checks out how someone would somehow consider it a hidden gem. All graphics no substance I assume.

Even tho The Order was a such a waste.
The Order was one of the sickest games anyone has ever made. The ONLY issue I have with that game is that the boss fight sections were re-used and one shooting section of the top of some steps goes on for a little too long. Other than that it's no different than playing something like Uncharted with it's cover shooting.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Days Gone, in the state that's right now is not only a decent game but actually pretty darned good...
Solid gfx, satisfying shooting, nice atmosphere and the story is worth it just for that twist.
It takes a good 5-6 hours to get going but when it does...

Ive played DG numerous times (prob in my top 15) and I have no idea what you're talking about:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom