• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Defenders - Reviews Thread

It's been my experience that none of these shows can be judged by the early reviews of the first 4 episodes. They always seem to wildly vary between front and back half. I still think this being 8 episodes instead of 13 will be a good thing, but it is disappointing that it seems like they've dragged their feet a bit in the first four episodes.

It's been my experience that none of these shows can be judged by the early reviews of the first 4 episodes. They always seem to wildly vary between front and back half. I still think this being 8 episodes instead of 13 will be a good thing, but it is disappointing that it seems like they've dragged their feet a bit in the first four episodes.

The back half of nearly every Marvel Netflix series has been worse than the first half, so this is a bit disconcerting.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

IMO it's really only Luke Cage that suffers from this to a notable extent. I thought both Daredevil seasons and Iron First were fairly consistent (for better and worse), and JJ really only dropped a bit in the final 2 episodes of 13. Even then it was still okay.

The scores are all right but none of the review blurbs really fill me with confidence. Also, this:

I hope it's going to be a great. The Netflixverse started out so well. But I'm keeping my expectations low because of the last two shows.

Mrbob

So what's the order of best to worst when it comes to Netflix Marvel shows? I figure I should give em a proper look before watching this.

I take Iron Fist is in last place. What about others?
You should watch Daredevil season 1 and 2. I just finished season 2 of Daredevil, then watched the defenders trailer and it looks like the story takes place directly after the end of season two of Daredevil.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
You should watch Daredevil season 1 and 2. I just finished season 2 of Daredevil, then watched the defenders trailer and it looks like the story takes place directly after the end of season two of Daredevil.

The events of Iron Fist will also likely be important.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Do I need to watch Luke Cage and Iron Fist to get anything out of this? I've gotten pretty burnt out of Marvel and super heroes by now, and those shows look cpmpletely uninteresting to me, not sure why I want to watch this, but I kinda want to for some reason.

I'm very ready for super heroes to die out now. I don't have the time or interest to keep up with all these connected shows and movies. Comic con really disappointed me this year, it's just one super hero after anothrr at the expense of everything else. Oh well.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Do I need to watch Luke Cage and Iron Fist to get anything out of this? I've gotten pretty burnt out of Marvel and super heroes by now, and those shows look cpmpletely uninteresting to me, not sure why I want to watch this, but I kinda want to for some reason.

I'm very ready for super heroes to die out now. I don't have the time or interest to keep up with all these connected shows and movies. Comic con really disappointed me this year, it's just one super hero after anothrr at the expense of everything else. Oh well.

Luke Cage less than Iron Fist. IF story most likely directly ties into what will go down in The Defenders.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Best to Worst. Dare Devil S1 > DD S2 > Luke Cage > Jessica Jones > Iron Fist.

This is correct, don't listen to Haloid's order

Also, everyone, the Daredevil team is making this Defenders miniseries. (That's why there's no season three of Daredevil this year.) If anyone is able to make a Defenders show work, the Daredevil team is our best chance.

IMO it's really only Luke Cage that suffers from this to a notable extent. I thought both Daredevil seasons and Iron First were fairly consistent (for better and worse), and JJ really only dropped a bit in the final 2 episodes of 13. Even then it was still okay.

I agree. That's what I'm saying though. There is no consistency between the shows. Some of the series are better at the end and some are better at the beginning so it's hard to predict how Defenders will be.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm always blown away by the hate for the TV MCU on here.

Well, it's all very samey. Daredevil was a breath of fresh air in genre TV because we don't have many mature superhero shows. But after two seasons of that, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist, I'm sorta burnt out. I know it's supposed to be street level but they all fight against mob boss types who are putting up a more legit public image. Combine that with shoestring budgets, bad location scouting, and having to film in the same city...the backlash was inevitable.

The writing isn't particularly sophisticated either, so there really isn't much to look forward to other than the occasional nice setpiece. But even those are all very similar and only happen in the first 3 or 4 episodes.

Pachimari

Decider

Ultimately, The Defenders had to successfully accomplish one huge thing: justify 65 episodes of build-up. Despite a slow start, the show comes through on its promise and gives the heroes a threat worthy of their newly united attention. Defenders also doesn’t sacrifice the vital voices of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage when it throws them in a very Daredevil-y plot, and Defenders even makes Iron Fist work. These characters work so well together, it’s now hard to imagine them apart.

Then don't watch superhero stuff. There, I solved this conundrum.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
What if I told you that you weren't obligated to watch or care about any of this media, thus it "dying out" for you personally?

Lol, now why didn't I think of that.

I like a lot of different stuff, but super heroes are dominating. I'm kinda over saturated with it by now and ready for something new. Is that okay with you?

Then don't watch superhero stuff. There, I solved this conundrum.

Damn, I'm so glad I have you to point out the obvious for me.

Cuburt

It sounds like instead of the show feeling tighter and better paced due to the short episode count, it's like they tried to make this a movie's worth of material spread out over 8 hours.

CloudWolf

Sounds mediocre. Not that I expected more after Luke Cage, Iron Fist and the second half of DareDevil season 2, especially since it seems to focus on those zombie ninjas from DD S2.

I just want a Jessica Jones and Punisher show.

I really wonder how season 2 of Jessica Jones is going to be. I liked season 1 a lot, but that was mostly because of David Tennant. Now granted, I know next to nothing about Jessica Jones, so maybe she has another villain that's as scary as Tennant, but I feel that they might've made a huge mistake by killing him off.

I like a lot of different stuff, but super heroes are dominating.

No they aren't.

They account for less than 10% of all studio releases in any given year. Most years you can still count the number of superhero films on one hand. Maybe a couple fingers on the second.

If you think that genre is "dominating" the cinematic landscape it's a sign your view of it has been narrowed.

Lol, now why didn't I think of that.

I like a lot of different stuff, but super heroes are dominating. I'm kinda over saturated with it by now and ready for something new. Is that okay with you?

My point remains. There is absolutely NOTHING stopping you from seeking out something new if that is what you want. Comic book media, while promoted heavily, is a small portion of annual output.

In fact, at that same show, SDCC, there was a mountain of non-comic book content shown and discussed.

Not sure why you think studios should stop putting this product out because YOU don't want it anymore.

No they aren't.

They account for less than 10% of all studio releases in any given year. Most years you can still count the number of superhero films on one hand. Maybe a couple fingers on the second.

If you think that genre is "dominating" the cinematic landscape it's a sign your view of it has been narrowed.

Yeah, like. I love these damn things, and I've seen all the ones that have been released this year. But they still don't even make up half of all the wonderful films I've seen this year.

The phenomenon of people who only see comic-book movies and then complain about only seeing comic-book movies will never not astound me.

Anung

Un Rama
I was excited as hell about The Defenders becoming a thing when Daredevil started but now Marvel's Netflix shows are just diminishing returns so I've lost all interest in everything apart from Daredevil S3 (because Born Again) and Punisher.

I'll still give this a watch because 8 episodes is fine but after how uneven Jones and Cage were and how outright bad Iron Fist was I'm not exactly overwhelmed with hype here.

"including a very cringe-worthy decision to play hip hop every time we see Luke in the first hour when no one else gets a soundtrack — we get it, guys; he’s black."

I5kSjpW.gif

NH Apache

Banned
I've got faith. Supporting cast will carry it.

Please I hope they fixed Danny

Edit: about the music only for LC, that's pretty much a part of character though. Old comics painted him as a dude who always had a theme song playing while he was walking

I haven't seen Iron Fist, but what happened behind the scenes that made it so much worse than the other shows? Did they get a bad writer, show runner or what?

Drifters

Good to see. I really only care about Dare Devil as I haven't watched the others. My wife made the comment on the second trailer that dropped after just watching the Justice League trailer "See... I actually would watch that..." (Referring to 'The Defenders'). To which I replied "It's Marvel, so yeah."

The people in this thread knocking TV critics have never read Alan Sepinwall, the AV Club, Maureen Ryan, Andy Greenwald, James Poniewozik, or Vox's reviews.

To quote the great LaVar Ball, "Stay in your lane."

Pachimari

io9 Gizmodo
However, the good of The Defenders far outweighs the bad. The story isn't revolutionary, and as usual, the villains have a typically over-the-top and hilariously convoluted plan—but it's all a canvas to showcase Matt, Jessica, Luke, and Danny coming together as a team. They're not just stronger together than they are apart—it turns out they're more entertaining, too.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
My point remains. There is absolutely NOTHING stopping you from seeking out something new if that is what you want. Comic book media, while promoted heavily, is a small portion of annual output.

In fact, at that same show, SDCC, there was a mountain of non-comic book content shown and discussed.

Not sure why you think studios should stop putting this product out because YOU don't want it anymore.

I'm gonna bail out of here, cause people sure have fragile hearts when it comes to super heroes. I'm not asking anyone to stop doing anything. At all. I'm just kinda full with it. Get it? It was a nice meal. I've had the same desert for a few years now, and I'm ready for a change. Am I so blind that I can't see there's other stuff being made? Nah. But the big budget blockbuster stuff is dominated by super heroes. Is that a crime, and I trying to make it stop? Nah, I'm not as invested in this as you, clearly. I'm just bored with it by now.

Mostly, I'm just ready for my collectible websites to find something else to report on than yet another lkne of marvel figurines. But hey, my problem, not yours. You can relax. Peace. Go back to dicussing the defenders, which is the show my original post was about. The rest of it was just me kinda gently venting over not being a fan of everything being so connected. Not my cup of tea.

But I am very happy it's yours and I hope you have a fantastic time.

Kreed

Daredevil S1 > DD S2 > First half of Luke Cage > Purple Man >>>> Jessica Jones > Second half of Luke Cage >>>>>>>> Iron Fist.

Optimistic for the show. Wanted to love Luke Cage, but that series crashed hard. Iron Fist was just pretty mediocre the whole way through. Hopefully this show can fix the issues both those series had.

Daredevil 1+2
Jessica Jones
Luke Cage(fist half of season)
Iron Fist
Luke Cage(second half of season)

Would more or less be my rankings.

Sounds decent enough, looking forward to it.

I have genuinely enjoyed them all, even Iron Fist, it got far too much hate. My order is as follows:

Daredevil S2
Jessica Jones
Daredevil S1
Luke Cage (1st half S1)
Iron Fist
Luke Cage (2nd half S1)

Luke Cage has a notable drop in quality a little after halfway thru. Watch them in release order.

No season split rankings for Daredevil S2?

It's 2017 and we're still using generic hip hop to tell audiences "this is our black character"?

😔

Considering Luke Cage had more focus on music (hip hop) than the other shows this doesn't seem like a big deal.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Netflix did an amazing job of making me really stop caring about their Marvel shows. I went from loving the first season of Daredevil to not being able to make through any other season of these series.

Can't really please everyone, which is fine. Both Jessica and Luke were very well received shows. Plenty of people think Jessica was the best Netflix show. I'd personally give that to S2 of Daredevil.

Top Bottom