• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Double Toasted team AKA the best film reviewers out there

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I wish Martin knew Peter Norman's name at least instead of calling him the white guy. A great shame and injustice what happened to him when he went back home.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Norman

The third man: The forgotten Black Power hero
http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/24/sport/olympics-norman-black-power/index.html

I was actually okay with Martin not knowing his name, but about him. You can tell Korey put his foot in his mouth again when Martin told him.

I haven't heard anything. But I've been busy this week and haven't been paying super close attention to the full shows.

Be weird if they didn't, they must know all the players. They've been in the Austin movie scene for 20+ years

I know in one of the reviews, they said it's where they always go.

Farsi

American Made review scores

Martin:
Full Price
Goodwin:
Full Price
Girts:
Really enthusiastic matinee
Coleman:
Matinee (says it's very close to a full price, wouldn't surprise Coleman if it got a best picture nomination)

Everyone agrees this was the best Tom Cruise performance in years.

EIrdiJ.png

I don't think it's wise that they are making fun of this Joy individual or Goodwin joking about her killing her as she seems like a rather disturbed individual.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
EIrdiJ.png

I don't think it's wise that they are making fun of this Joy individual or Goodwin joking about her killing her as she seems like a rather disturbed individual.

tenor.gif

They should probably stop reading that stuff on air...was she the same one that said she would stop listening to the show cause she was mad at Korey?

I'm not sure, I think that was Maven Creed, but I may be mistaken. This is the one that kept hounding Danielle about how much of a crush she has on her up to the point that Danielle had to block her on instagram.

Lijik

just heard on the sunday service that Korey had a massive hangover while watching the my little pony movie, i cant fucking wait for the review

American Made review scores

Martin:
Full Price
Goodwin:
Full Price
Girts:
Really enthusiastic matinee
Coleman:
Matinee (says it's very close to a full price, wouldn't surprise Coleman if it got a best picture nomination)

Everyone agrees this was the best Tom Cruise performance in years.
True he looked like he was having a blast acting in it

mreddie

Blade Runner 2049

Korey:
----Full Price----
Martin:
(High)Mantiee

My Little Pony

Goodwin:
----Rental----
Gitrz:
----Rental----
Martin:
----Bullshit----
Korey:
----Bullshit----

Mountain Between Us
Goodwin:
----Rental----
Martin:
----Rental----
Korey:
----Rental----

yunbuns

I feel like Korey should really stop talking about this Joy girl. It's really awkward and I don't understand why we need to be told about this.

Neece

Oh great, now I’m not watching their review until I’ve seen the movie.

Tbh this is how everyone should treat their reviews. They constantly spoil or clue you in on key scenes by dropping hints that can only be taken one way. Like in the American Made review they gave away something that happens in the final 10 minutes of the movie by talking around it and making a joke directly mentioning what happens.

And even if it’s not “spoiling” I also think they undercut scenes by playing those clips, which can be anywhere from the beginning to the end of the movie. It robs the audience of seeing it in context and they end up going into the theater waiting for the scene to happen.

I can never watch their reviews before the movie but I do have fun with them after leaving the theater and listening on my way home.

Is it a spoiler when it's in the first 5-10 minutes of the movie?

Not really, but I kinda would have liked to have found it out during the movie. Im not a spoiler culture guy but everyone has kind of avoided saying this, they could have done the review without saying that.

kevin1025

Banned
I'd say the Blade Runner spoiler is a spoiler, since it comes out naturally in the story and wasn't common knowledge, even if it's super early in there.

People seriously didn't just automatically assume as soon as they hired that specific actor to play that role that it would be the case?

I guess I'm constantly being spoiled by deductive reasoning.

Seesaw15

Why listen to a review if you want to go in 100% blind? A long form review has to discuss the premise of the film. I've listened to a couple of Blader Runner 2049 podcast reviews and they all discuss the set up of the film.

I'm not one to police feelings but spoiler culture is getting pretty crazy when you voluntarily listen to a review and call spoilers when they discuss the basic plot and character motivations. I'm curious what people wanted DT crew to talk about for 30 minutes.

kevin1025

Banned
Why listen to a review if you want to go in 100% blind? A long form review has to discuss the premise of the film. I've listened to a couple of Blader Runner 2049 podcast reviews and they all discuss the set up of the film.

I'm not one to police feelings but spoiler culture is getting pretty crazy when you voluntarily listen to a review and call spoilers when they discuss the basic plot and character motivations. I'm curious what people wanted DT crew to talk about for 30 minutes.

You definitely have a point, but I'd say the spoiler mentioned isn't plot or motivation, but a character surprise. I'm using surprise loosely, haha. But yeah, I'd say that certain reviewers should be kept until after you've seen the movie, Double Toasted being one of them, unless you don't care about that movie's spoilers or don't plan on seeing it. Having seen the movie, I was actually surprised by that moment, so seeing the review now, it's a little disappointing that it can be ruined for someone else looking for impressions. But it's definitely not a thing that would ruin the movie for everyone, I should add!

kewlmyc

So what is the spoiler? I've watched the review and not sure what you all are referring to.

Is it that
Ryan Gosling's character is a replicant? Isn't that stated pretty early into the movie?

Sai

I feel like Korey should really stop talking about this Joy girl. It's really awkward and I don't understand why we need to be told about this.
Well, it was kinda funny. Sounds like she finally stopped after the chat did some detective work, and Korey proposed a Skype convo instead of those long, crazy e-mails.

Thought Korey was gonna put her picture up, but he only showed it to the co-hosts.

Davey Cakes

After listening to three podcasts where they mention this Joy girl, I've had enough. Don't feed her sickness, just stop reading the stupid emails.

collige

Banned
Oh my god that description of the different ponies in the MLP review had me dying. Purple Princess Pony, White Bitch Pony, Flying Lesbian Pony... and Friendzone Dragon!

Top Bottom