• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Double Toasted team AKA the best film reviewers out there

God damn the newest video with Oz is immediately killing me,

Korey roasting someone about their car,
Danielle
The YouTube comments:
"Danielle is transitioning into a shadow"
"Danielle looking like a video game character you still haven't unlocked"

im only 2 minutes in lol.

Surprised the cop car video didn't hit Gaf, hilarious.

Lijik

seeing mother! and then immediately listening to the review on the podcast where korey compares the movie to his life slayed me

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
All those recent military actioners kinda blend together for me. And yet, I watch them all. lol

American Assassin sounds a lot like that Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit movie. Mostly mediocre with the occasional "Oh that's cool" moment sprinkled around.

LewieP

I wonder if these guys will address the Alamo Drafthouse situation. I know they are regulars there, and have been to a few of their events.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I wonder if Korey did research after the movie for his review or just picked up the allegory while watching. Either way I hate reviews when Korey's right about something. He's so petty and condescending lol.

About 16:50 there's a moment where I think Martin was skeptical about Korey going on about "getting" the movie. He said something like "Gee, wish you could say what it was" in reference to all the clues and messages in the movie lol. And then at 17:10 he gives a very telling look over to Goodwin

This movie has been so divisive everywhere. Damn

About 16:50 there's a moment where I think Martin was skeptical about Korey going on about "getting" the movie. He said something like "Gee, wish you could say what it was" in reference to all the clues and messages in the movie lol. And then at 17:10 he gives a very telling look over to Goodwin

This movie has been so divisive everywhere. Damn
I'm really glad I went into it expecting it to be have some metaphors or allegories for something and not expecting a horror movie. And I'm on Korey's side here; I didn't know what the movie was about going in but the references and symbolism seemed so obvious when you start realizing what the movie is doing. And I usually hate movies like that, that are all symbolism and allegories. I didn't catch everything while watching but it's a movie I appreciate and like a lot more after reading articles and understanding the context than I did while watching. Might actually go see it again, now that I understand what it was trying to do

But they really hurt themselves with the marketing. Although I have no idea how else they could have marketed this.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
anybody know what IP korey is refering? He says mother! is a remake of it but did not give the name of it in the review

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Yes he does say it is
combination of rosemarys baby and the bible

however :

15:15
"For the right audience, this is a retelling of a very very famous story"

https://youtu.be/_IdiAuXD2KM?t=15m15s

Through out the review he never says what story it is. That was the thing that had me the most curious

Was it a story in the bible? Rosemarys baby? Was it another story entirely?

Yes he does say it is
combination of rosemarys baby and the bible

however :

15:15
"For the right audience, this is a retelling of a very very famous story"

https://youtu.be/_IdiAuXD2KM?t=15m15s

Through out the review he never says what story it is. That was the thing that had me the most curious

Was it a story in the bible? Rosemarys baby? Was it another story entirely?

Go listen to the podcast/soundcloud episode. They uploaded a separate Spoiler Talk for it which is about 14 minutes. He goes into detail there. But basically,
yes the story he was referring to was from the bible. Namely, Adam & Eve, Cain & Abel, The Flood, etc.

D i Z

Go listen to the podcast/soundcloud episode. They uploaded a separate Spoiler Talk for it which is about 14 minutes. He goes into detail there. But basically,
yes the story he was referring to was from the bible. Namely, Adam & Eve, Cain & Abel, The Flood, etc.

More commonly known as
Genesis

Ducarmel

Why is that even a spioler?

If somebody ask me what the movie is about I'm going to say its a movie retelling the stories of the
bible

Spoiler just incase somebody flips out on me.

Effect

Listening to Korey spoil it and explain it actually made me want to watch Mother! now. Way better than their misleading marketing.

Seriously. Hearing him break it down like that actually makes me interested in checking it out and seeing how this plays given what is being told here.

kewlmyc

Listening to Korey spoil it and explain it actually made me want to watch Mother! now. Way better than their misleading marketing.

Exactly. I thought it was just another horror movie, so I didn't care. Hearing what it actually is makes me want to see it.

Not in theaters mind you, but a rental at least. Still sounds pretentious as fuck.

"Full price, but don't go see this movie" is still some ol' bullshit of a review, though.

If you want that arthouse cred you need to own that shit.

So are DT dodging the drafthouse stuff or did they already talk about it?

When was the last time they even mentioned the drafthouse? I haven't been keeping up with their full-length podcasts lately. I know they used to mention them a lot during Spill days but I haven't heard them name drop them for a while.

Grizzlyjin

So are DT dodging the drafthouse stuff or did they already talk about it?

I haven't heard anything. But I've been busy this week and haven't been paying super close attention to the full shows.

Be weird if they didn't, they must know all the players. They've been in the Austin movie scene for 20+ years

I haven't heard anything. But I've been busy this week and haven't been paying super close attention to the full shows.

Be weird if they didn't, they must know all the players. They've been in the Austin movie scene for 20+ years

Right! I was just thinking about how I barely hear about it from them anymore. Especially since that is their scene like you said.

diaspora

It was interesting seeing the argument/debate between Goodwin and Girts on Donda West's feature in South Park insofar as Girts seemed to do what a lot of people online do when it comes to video game subject matter considered to be in bad taste where its interpreted as wanting to "ban" or disallow the content versus simply call a spade a spade.

I see Girts in a different light after the Kanye video.

It's amazing how people know his intent on a game wanting to honor his mother.

Yeah, agreed. He kept trying to direct it into this "But it's South Park, that's what they do" or "I don't think they should be disallowed from doing this" type of argument. Nobody is debating that South Park hasn't been known for being controversial and no one is calling for a ban on the show. All people are doing is acknowledging that what they did in this instance may have been crossing a line and unnecessary.

It was especially lame of Girts to victim blame Kanye for making a game of his mother. The only difference between Kanye doing something like that and a regular person writing a poem or making a slide show about a dead loved one is that Kanye commemorating someone immediately puts it in a public spotlight. It doesn't automatically make it a publicity stunt, especially if his intent is to create something that he wants as many people to experience as possible.

Publicizing something and exploiting something aren't the same thing, but Girts kept suggesting that Kanye was doing the latter by making this game about his mom.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Shame about Kingsman 2. I’ve been hearing bad things, but their review sealed the deal that I’ll wait for the home media release.

Not having Korey or (especially) Martin in the discussion means i'm just gonna skip that video lol.
yeah... I appreciate that they expand the shows and all, but that’s how I roll too.

Man I'm just gonna say it.

I am sick of the trivia section in the Movie Review Extraveganzas. I always just skip them at this point, but I wonder if I'm the only one that feels this way, since it doesn't seem like the site's community or even this gaf thread ever brings up any issue with it. I remember Martin half jokingly suggesting that "people are sick of it" but Korey brushed past it in his "no we're doing it" way.

Top Bottom