• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Economist global liveability index 2017: Melbourne most liveable city

Ernest

Banned
They obviously don't take affordability into consideration - I've been to Vienna a few times, and it's expensive as fuck!

FUME5

Number seven for most livable but in the worlds top ten most dangerous cities?

pm-world-map-hero-finalv1.jpg

Perth really does have it all!

StarVigil

Moving to Hamburg next month, if everything works. The city is a god damn dream. Most open and friendly Germans I've ever encountered. I've talked to more strangers in less than a week than during all of my time in uni. Can't wait to get back there.

lupinko

Vancouver? Really? Housing prices are a social disaster, open-air junkies, homeless people and medical waste are absolutely everywhere, and there's virtually no culture. Whole streets resemble the set of a zombie movie. Unless you're rich, Vancouver can be pretty grim.

Oh please you're just talking about downtown East Van.

You can also move to like you know New West or Surrey in the GVRD.

Also Vancouver has lots of culture, unless you're the type who isn't into nature or exercise.

DrSlek

I'm in Adelaide and think it's just good, not top 10 of the world good. I guess you never know how well you have it.

We have reasonably priced housing, decent public transport (though I still want a subway/metro to the Airport from the city), well planned commercial districts, relatively low crime, an enormous number of festivals, a pick of great beaches anywhere from 20 to 1 hour from the city, and 2 fantastic wine regions north and south of the city.

We have it pretty good.

ecosse_011172

Moving to Hamburg next month, if everything works. The city is a god damn dream. Most open and friendly Germans I've ever encountered. I've talked to more strangers in less than a week than during all of my time in uni. Can't wait to get back there.
Hamburg is a great city but the weather is crap, hope you like clouds and rain.

Vancouver? Really? Housing prices are a social disaster, open-air junkies, homeless people and medical waste are absolutely everywhere, and there's virtually no culture. Whole streets resemble the set of a zombie movie. Unless you're rich, Vancouver can be pretty grim.

Property prices and living costs are off the charts in Melbourne and Sydney as well although they don't appear to take them into account.

oti

Banned

Hamburg's great!
🤗

Jake.

i lived in adelaide from about 8-27 y/o (i'm 30 now). it has improved drastically in the last 5-6 years, i miss it so much. sydney is trash.

Shaneus

To add insult to injury, to get an unlimited plan at 50 megabit speed in Melbourne you'll have to be ready to fork out at least $90/month. How about low latency? what's that? is it tasty? can you buy it in a store? :p

I heard Fixed Wireless is the way to go in the inner suburbs, but progress is still rather slow.
Thankfully where I live, Neighbourhood Cable (which after a few changes of hands, is now owned by iiNet) sell me 100mbps+ unlimited cable for $90/mo. Pretty stoked.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
They obviously don't take affordability into consideration - I've been to Vienna a few times, and it's expensive as fuck!
What? I've lived in Vienna for 9 years and it's not more expansive than every other big city. If you want expansive, try Kopenhagen or Oslo

This definitely doesn't take affordability into account, seems like a big oversight.
Wonder what the top US city is?

Yeah. I lived in Melbourne for almost two years, and while I liked it well enough, dear lord it's expensive. Actually made me miss the states.

ilium

I assume s/he was drinking Melange in Vienna's first district, which is obv. Vienna's tourist trap and offensively expensive.

Can't say living here is more expensive than in Germany. Some things cost more, some less - it evens out, really.

City also has a long and proud history of affordable housing projects for example.

As someone who live in 15 minute round trip walking distance from falafel, oxtail, lamb roganjosh, enchiladas, and kalbi, in what is among the world's top multi-enthnicially dense neighbourhoods in the world, I'd say Toronto's alright.

Edit: I guess I can add that there's two Filipino joints two shops from another as well.

ecosse_011172

As someone who live in 15 minute round trip walking distance from falafel, oxtail, lamb roganjosh, enchiladas, and kalbi, in what is among the world's top multi-enthnicially dense neighbourhoods in the world, I'd say Toronto's alright.

Apart from the kalbi you have that in pretty much any medium sized first world city nowadays tbh.

Alienfan

Auckland making a top ten list is such a joke. Good luck getting anywhere, at least most big cities have good public transport / trains to mitigate the traffic and long distance traveling - Auckland is such a mess to commute in. It is beautiful though

Auckland making a top ten list is such a joke. Good luck getting anywhere, at least most big cities have good public transport / trains to mitigate the traffic and long distance traveling - Auckland is such a mess to commute in. It is beautiful though

Buy a car or use Uber :)

Nabbis

Helsinki could be cheaper and a bit sunnier but otherwise I agree, it's a very liveable place.

It's the definition of mediocrity. There's nothing particularly interesting there and nothing happens be it good or bad.

superfly

Not really sure if these lists really mean anything. I spent 4 months in Melbourne this year and while I enjoyed the slower pace and great access to outdoor activities I can't imagine feeling fulfilled professionally and culturally there. I am from London and lived in Shanghai for 7 years.

When I stayed with some of my wife's relatives in Auckland, one thing that stood out to me is that no one had central heating in their homes. It was fairly cold in August there and everyone had small heaters set up around their houses. It seemed so weird to me for a first world country, not to mention potentially dangerous. Beautiful city, though. I loved the Sky Tower and that crater area. The nearby countryside is amazing, too.

Top Bottom