• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- First Gameplay Trailer!

That was......360?

simon-stunned_288x288.gif

Canova

Banned
webrunner said:
good art design can make up for bad graphics: that's why some decade-old polygonal games look good, still.

good graphics cannot make up for bad art design: that's why some games with ridiculously high polycounts can still look bad.

Remember, a good design is a good design regardless of how it's rendered, but if you model a pile of crap with high definition bump mapping and volumetric shading or whatever, it's still a pile of crap.

VERY TRUE!!

neoism

Raide said:
You will need a truly monster PC to get it looking that good. Wallets and purses scream out in anguish.
Man I will be heartbroken if my PC can't play it....
i5 750x4
8gb ram
Radeon 5870
win 7 64bit

Teknoman

CortanaV said:
Or maybe several different tracks for combat. I don't think the Oblivion combat music really fit fighting mudcrabs... filthy creatures.

That would be great. Would go a long way towards making the combat feel more involved...of course they would have to make sure hitting enemies feels like it has weight behind it. Decent sound effects for different weapon types (slashing,blunt,piercing,etc) would be nice too.

I know I probably won't need to upgrade my PC...but I'm still going to do so...Just. For. This. Game.

The Jeremy Soule theme has me so jizzed.

Hopefully you'll be able to interact with the environment a lot more. Oblivion's world was huge, but there wasn't much to do in towns, and especially out in the wilderness. Little things such as the ability to climb trees, chop them down, build a fire to camp out for the night; maybe even build a small shelter?

I liked how in Gothic 3, you were able to drink from barrels to regain health, and use an axe or a saw on trees. Not much, but I thought it was a nice touch.

Speevy

Banned
Another thing I noticed about this game is the variety of towns.

Some on mountain tops, some in poor little villages fashioned together with straw, some in richer areas.

I hope they take heed of the fact that Morrowind had environments first, and towns second.

In Oblivion everyone lived in basically the same kind of place.

Zeliard

robut said:
"He is known in their tongue as blah blah" So the dragons can talk?

Yep. That language you hear in the male choir is the dragons' language, apparently. When the character does the dragon shout at 1:08, it matches the first word out of the choir.

Which was a tremendously cool effect, by the way.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
neoism said:
Man I will be heartbroken if my PC can't play it....
i5 750x4
8gb ram
Radeon 5870
win 7 64bit

ok people now you're getting crazy :p, we're talking about a game that is going to be out this year and released on consoles aswell.

i5 750, 8gb ram and a 5870? I don't believe for a second that a rig like that won't max the game while running at 30fps +++

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Solo said:
It truly is a great time to be a part of the master race.

Unless Bethesda is to be believed, of course. Bethesda claims the game will look identical on 360/PS3/PC, except for the baseline resolution/framerate/AA PC differences.

KrawlMan

WanderingWind said:
....GO PLAY MORROWIND RIGHT NOW.

Morrowind was too old to get into by the time I had a reasonable system. Mod's couldn't save that game.

I tried oblivion a couple years ago. I found it to be a boring, unplayable mess. Dead faced NPCs, stiff combat and an almost generic feeling world (at times) were just a few of the things that killed my experience. Who knows, I may have enjoyed the story if I gave it more time.

I will say that I'm looking forward to playing Skyrim when it comes out. The new engine will hopefully fix some/most of my gripes with Oblivion.

neoism

Kaako said:
How high were you when you made that post, bra?
:p :p lol I'm definitely that...mang I really wasn't stealth bragging. lol I always think my CPU isn't good enough... I mean are i7s really not all that much better..?

The game looks insane. Can't wait to play it.. :O

Zeliard

EviLore said:
Unless Bethesda is to be believed, of course. Bethesda claims the game will look identical on 360/PS3/PC, except for the baseline resolution/framerate/AA PC differences.

Let's hope that was just marketing bs meant to appease the console crowd. There's no sense in allowing consoles to dictate a PC version's limitations. Witcher 2 should shame Beth into opening up those PC settings, and getting some higher res textures in there. :p

Durante

Speevy said:
Why? It's a first person game. Third person is just a second option that they throw in there.
Agreed. FP is superior both in terms of controls and in terms of immersion, and there are more than enough RPGs out there that are third person only.

StuBurns

Banned
Zeliard said:
Let's hope that was just marketing bs meant to appease the console crowd. There's no sense in allowing consoles to dictate a PC version's limitations. Witcher 2 should shame Beth into opening up those PC settings. :p
Maybe in terms of assets they'll be the same (although even that seems bizarre, textures are generated at greater resolutions, it's arbitrary to withhold that stuff from PC gamers) but surely the typical things like greater particle effects and things will still benefit greatly from additional performance. It'll still be worlds apart.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Zeliard said:
Let's hope that was just marketing bs meant to appease the console crowd. There's no sense in allowing consoles to dictate a PC version's limitations. Witcher 2 should shame Beth into opening up those PC settings. :p

Yeah, I'm just staying realistic about it, since Oblivion and Fallout 3 followed the same design philosophy.

It's 2011 now though, Bethesda!

Shanadeus

Banned
The graphics and texture were a bit uneven in places but I hope that's just a X360 issue.

Was pretty amazing otherwise, animations look smooth.

Gorgon

WanderingWind said:
There was a demo for Oblivion. And Morrowind (PC).

There was a demo for Oblivion? On consoles too? Shit, if so I'm curious to check out that bitch just for the laughs. Is it on PSN?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I am about to be sick of The Witcher 2. In every goddamn RPG thread, there are dozens of "THE WITCHER 2 IS GONNA SAVE US ALL" posts. Give it a rest, guys, or you're just going to turn people off on the game before it even has a chance to hit shelves.

Gorgon

From The Dust said:
Are people really this unaware of their hardware?

No, he just wanted to show off and have people pat him in the back for the awsomness. You know the drill.

Blitz2o

Banned
the new animations look like such a drastic improvement, same with general detail. God bless normal mapping.

I'm curious as to what the User Interface will look like though.

Durante

Even if the assets are exactly the same, I feel like AA, AF, shadow resolution, draw distances, framerate and mods will be more than enough to make good use of any spare hardware power.

Top Bottom