• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- First Gameplay Trailer!

iavi

Yeah... This is something. This is definitely something. Dark brotherhood missions with stealth animations that don't look completely fucking nonsensical? Sign me the hell up.

Net_Wrecker said:
Why were so many shocked when this was revealed as 360 footage? You would think that games like Just Cause 2, and Red Dad Redemption would show people what these machines can do, especially when you're not focusing on dense urban cities with dozens of pedestrians/vehicles around every corner.

Red Dead was pretty empty though in terms of places and people. There was like 1 decent sized town in the game, and IMO while the game looks good, it doesn't look as good as this. Now factor in all the places that will be in this game and their interiors, all the weaving quest lines and factors, and all the people if Oblivion is anything to go by. Not to mention the dragon mechanics and possibly burning villages down or even just damaging them.

Just Cause 2 was really impressive, but there were a lot of re-used assets and the people and animations did not look good at all.

JoeBoy101 said:
That's 360 footage, so yeah, I pretty sure my PC is going to run it at least good as in this trailer. And given its 360 footage, I'm pretty sure 360 will run it at that as well.

Whoa whoa whoa...

The trailer is the 360 version?!?!?!

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
My reaction to the trailer:

1275283028341.gif

Can't wait. Oblivion was my first real West RPG back in the days.

low-G

EviLore said:
Unless Bethesda is to be believed, of course. Bethesda claims the game will look identical on 360/PS3/PC, except for the baseline resolution/framerate/AA PC differences.

I don't see any reason to not believe them. That's often true for multiplatform titles.

Cyborg

JoeBoy101 said:
That's 360 footage, so yeah, I pretty sure my PC is going to run it at least good as in this trailer. And given its 360 footage, I'm pretty sure 360 will run it at that as well.

Who confiremed this as 360 footage

The scenes in the wild were fantastic. I was also quite impressed and fucking downright stoke when I saw the creeping in the autumn Birch tree forest. Beautiful, nothing better than that color palette. Looks like animation and character models are top notch, I'm fucking ready!

I hope I can chop down trees.

IoCaster

That trailer is so damn good. I've watched it 6-7 times already. That dragon shout/chorus sequence made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. It's got a couple of rough spots (cascades, wolf animation), but all else looks good. Some of the locations (clifftop town and valley) just have a great sense of scale. It's top of the list for me this year. Can't wait to get my hands on the Creation Kit.

eso76

Drealmcc0y said:
I have not played the other elder scroll games and I have no intention too.

Would it be alright to play this one?

morally ? it wouldn't be.

other than that you should be fine

Drealmcc0y said:

Yep, each one is a different story at a different time but in the same world.

Drealmcc0y said:

It might even work in your favor. My first one was Oblivion and it not only blew me away but it completely changed my gaming tastes. Went from a lifelong jrpg guy to now hating them (well, ok Oblivion wasn't the sole reason, but it started my transformation).

Then I start browsing here in 07 and everyone tells me Oblivion sucks cause it's not Morrowind. Didn't change the way I feel about Oblivion one bit.

RyanDG

Drealmcc0y said:
So its like the Final Fantasy games? New story every time?

No. Final Fantasy - aside from small examples - exist in different worlds. The Elder Scrolls, while often consisting of different continents - are all part of the same world and ties to each of the games can be found. The stories themselves are independent in the sense that the over-arching tales tend to revolve around a single quest - but the games are definitely interrelated. With that said, there is no issue starting with this one... But for the full flavor, you'd be missing out.

projekt84

tmacairjordan87 said:
It might even work in your favor. My first one was Oblivion and it not only blew me away but it completely changed my gaming tastes. Went from a lifelong jrpg guy to now hating them (well, ok Oblivion wasn't the sole reason, but it started my transformation).

Then I start browsing here in 07 and everyone tells me Oblivion sucks cause it's not Morrowind. Didn't change the way I feel about Oblivion one bit.

Nostalgia goggles man. Don't listen to haters ever.

Dina

It looks stunning, but I don't see much else being new. It's still TES, after all.

Edit: Also, the entire Dragon/Dragonborn/The-chosen-one story is incredibly lame. I know fantasy games are generally terrible in this department, but this is taking the cake. Still looks nice, of course.

FirewalkR

I got home, saw the trailer and was mindblown.

Then I came to GAF for reactions and saw that the footage is 360... mindblown ^ infinite. I did watch the trailer on low quality. Perhaps it's more evident that it's 360 in full-res. Still amazing though.

Skyrim, Deus Ex, Witcher 2, and in a different way (though I expect it to be high quality) Crysis 2... gonna be a good year.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I haven't even played Oblivion and I will *STILL* declare this is day fucking ONE for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The games gonna have to get HORRIBLE impressions/reviews for me not to pick it up!

WOW.

Dennis

Banned
Sn4ke_911 said:
Im surprised, BF3 and Skyrim gameplay footage and not even a single teaser for the new Tomb Raider game yet, which got announced way before the other two titles.
Announced maybe, but I think BF3 and Skyrim has been in development for a loooong time.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
This (along side Dead Island debut trailer) should be played in the movie theaters. They are extremely epic and could bring in even the most jaded of casual gamers to give it a try. I haven't been this impressed by a trailer since..... Dead Island, and before that, Gears of War (madworld version).

Gaming companies are really stepping it up this year!

eso76

Did anyone notice the words sung by the chorus are those from the gameinformer puzzle ?

This part at least starting from 1'29" ?

DOVahKiiN DOVahKiiN
NaaL OK ZIN LOS VahRiiN
Wah DeiN VOKUL MahFAERaaK ahST VaaL
ahRK FIN NOROK PaaL GRaaN
FOD NUST HON ZINDRO ZaaN
DOVahKiiN Fah HIN KOGaaN MU DRaaL

am i late ?

RyanDG

eso76 said:
Did anyone notice the words sung by the chorus are those from the gameinformer puzzle ?

This part at least starting from 1'29" ?

DOVahKiiN DOVahKiiN
NaaL OK ZIN LOS VahRiiN
Wah DeiN VOKUL MahFAERaaK ahST VaaL
ahRK FIN NOROK PaaL GRaaN
FOD NUST HON ZINDRO ZaaN
DOVahKiiN Fah HIN KOGaaN MU DRaaL

am i late ?

Yeah a bit late. It was also the words being sung in the first teaser.

Zeal

Banned
Spat_triate said:
gawddammit Bethesda fine! Here are my bank details, you can have my monies.

The Glorious King of Sybonazabutia, Mopapubanjazu, has confirmed your bank account this fine, warm day of February 419, 2011. Let you be rest assured that your SKYRIM purchase has been confirmed for you with the utmost exuberance!

Kindest personal regards,

The Elder Council of Sybonazubutia

projekt84 said:
Nostalgia goggles man. Don't listen to haters ever.

Not just nostalgia. Morrowind did many things better than Oblivion. And IMO Daggerfall did many things better than MW. Each new TES game has taken a few steps forward and a few steps back. Although I'm already convinced Skyrim will best Oblivion in every conceivable way.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I still remember leaving the sewers for the first time in Oblvion. That was such a great sight to see. I hope the beginning of Skyrim is as memorable. What sort of character are you guys planning on building the first time around? I pretty much always start things off as a stealthy wood elf thief type character.

I can't believe that is 360 footage.

Simply impossible. Just like the footage they put out before the 360 launch of oblivion had shadows and everything, I'm sure this will be dialed back a bit.. it has to be, right??

Animations still seem a little stiff to me. But heads don't look nearly as mutie and they seem to have a properly operable lighting model. Environments are, of course, very nice to look at, but that's something that Elder Scrolls has generally done well with.

Beyond that, it's hard for me to make any kind of judgement. I expect I'll probably enjoy it. I look forward to hearing about what kind of "streamlining" they do with all of the mechanics.

CortanaV

Neo Member
The landscapes kinda feel like Morrowind. Don't get me wrong, Morrowind=/= Skyrim in terms of lore or landscape, but I feel that it's more exotic like Morrowind. Cyrodiil felt a lot more domestic and well... bland.

I want to go "holy shit" when I find a new region or part of the world.
Skiesofwonder said:
This (along side Dead Island debut trailer) should be played in the movie theaters. They are extremely epic and could bring in even the most jaded of casual gamers to give it a try. I haven't been this impressed by a trailer since..... Dead Island, and before that, Gears of War (madworld version).

Gaming companies are really stepping it up this year!
That has actually got me thinking. I think that even during this decade, games are still considered alternatives to killing things, with the plots just being excuses to kill everything. It's great to see great plots emphasized in trailers, putting the consumer into the realm of "I want to find out what happens next" as opposed to "YEAH THIS GAME IS GONNA BE AWESOME IMMA KILL EVERYTHING!" It's not like we were helping our case in the first place, but as an industry, we're learning.

That sounds rather stereotypical on my part, though. I mean, you have great games like GoW, Bulletstorm (IMO, it's a "meh"), Counter Strike (oh hell yeah), Team Fortress 2, etc. that don't rely on a plot to be fun. But that does leave a lot of people to still consider games as excuses for killing things.

Eh, I'm not sure where I wanted to go with that one.

Top Bottom