• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- First Gameplay Trailer!

robut said:
"He is known in their tongue as blah blah" So the dragons can talk?
Yes. The song sung during the trailer is in Draconic. The PC will learn their language as the game progresses. Their language is basically magical: when they breathe fire, it's apparently because they use the word "fire" in their language.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Gorgon said:
There was a demo for Oblivion? On consoles too? Shit, if so I'm curious to check out that bitch just for the laughs. Is it on PSN?

I don't remember. It was just the intro dungeon.

Gorgon

Durante said:
Agreed. FP is superior both in terms of controls and in terms of immersion, and there are more than enough RPGs out there that are third person only.

Depends on the game. Something with the kind of combat in Demon's Souls would be unachievable in FP.

Gorgon said:
There was a demo for Oblivion? On consoles too? Shit, if so I'm curious to check out that bitch just for the laughs. Is it on PSN?

I don't believe there was a demo for consoles. Maybe psn since I stopped following Oblivion by the time PS3 got it, but I wouldn't count on it.

Canova

Banned
Durante said:
Agreed. FP is superior both in terms of controls and in terms of immersion, and there are more than enough RPGs out there that are third person only.

lol, no

for melee-action, 3rd person view is best

Durante

Gorgon said:
Depends on the game. Something with the kind of combat in Demon's Souls would be unachievable in FP.
Why? I played a lot of Demon's Souls and I can't think of anything that wouldn't work.

The main problem I could see with making it FP is that I'd be scared shitless to an even greater extent in some of the levels. And that one I file under "increased immersion" :p

Nakimushi

Banned
I dont mind playing 1st person view but not with stiff crappy animations like in oblivion
they really need to work on animations so they look much better

and please less Loading screens - its open world game !!!

The only thing that SCARED me about the incredible trailer was ...

There was a scene where two humans were fighting with sword and shield.. and the main char. Hits the other one. The other warrior doesn't flinch, recoil, or do anything to indicate that he was hit besides a tad bit of blood appearing to register the hit.

I hated that about oblivion.. made the monsters and enemies feel so fake and un-fun to fight. They just take hit after hit until they fell down.

Gorgon

tmacairjordan87 said:
I don't believe there was a demo for consoles. Maybe psn since I stopped following Oblivion by the time PS3 got it, but I wouldn't count on it.

Thanx. I think there wasn't but I'll check later.

Canova

Banned
Johnny2Bags said:
The only thing that SCARED me about the incredible trailer was ...

There was a scene where two humans were fighting with sword and shield.. and the main char. Hits the other one. The other warrior doesn't flinch, recoil, or do anything to indicate that he was hit besides a tad bit of blood appearing to register the hit.

I hated that about oblivion.. made the monsters and enemies feel so fake and un-fun to fight. They just take hit after hit until they fell down.

yup, they still have to improve on the of stun/recovery/follow-thru animations or frames

Gorgon

Durante said:
Why? I played a lot of Demon's Souls and I can't think of anything that wouldn't work.

The main problem I could see with making it FP is that I'd be scared shitless to an even greater extent in some of the levels. And that one I file under "increased immersion" :p

I don't think that kind of melee combat would work well i FP. Changes would have to be done and although it could certainly be good it woudn't be the same.

Look at the sitting NPC and the NPC behind the bar. Seems like that's our first view at Altmer/Dunmer... But what the hell is up with their faces? I recall some of the Elves looking kind of alien in Morrowind, could they be going back to that?

Nv4nr.jpg

Why were so many shocked when this was revealed as 360 footage? You would think that games like Just Cause 2, and Red Dad Redemption would show people what these machines can do, especially when you're not focusing on dense urban cities with dozens of pedestrians/vehicles around every corner.

Looks pretty good. However, I am cautiously optimistic. There is just so much that needs improvement from Oblivion.

I am hoping that the 120+ dungeons they said the game has have some sort of value or reward you one way or another for exploring them. The dungeons in Oblivion were really boring imo.

Zeliard

WanderingWind said:
I am about to be sick of The Witcher 2. In every goddamn RPG thread, there are dozens of "THE WITCHER 2 IS GONNA SAVE US ALL" posts. Give it a rest, guys, or you're just going to turn people off on the game before it even has a chance to hit shelves.

The Witcher 2 is an RPG out this year that isn't holding back much with the PC version, and could very well go to consoles. The point is that there's no reason for Bethesda not to do the same with Skyrim. Bethesda, and particularly the artists, should want that world to come through as sharply and vividly as possible.

It looks like they have several wonderful environmental locations, and one can only imagine how they'd look on a good PC with Bethesda having focused a bit on tapping into that high-end power.

GhaleonEB

One thing I liked about the combat is the speed of some of the attacks, such as the spin move. Combat in Oblivion was all much slower than that.

Speevy said:
Why? It's a first person game. Third person is just a second option that they throw in there.

but why does it have to suck to badly? the first person view isn't even good. Compare the first person controls from this dev's games to ANY first person and they suck

Thoraxes

This whole trailer + they said earlier that they're supporting the mod community?!?!?

=

Bethesda, you have my heart and my wallet.

Great trailer, although I'm still a bit on the fence about gameplay.

I spent nearly 200 hours in Oblivion because I'm a geek like that but that game could be improved on so many levels (both in engine and gameplay tweaks).

Witcher 2 and This will make my virtual roleplaying days complete this year. Too bad I didn't feel Dragona Age 2, but well Mass Effect 3 will have to suffice. So far a pretty good Triforce of roleplaying experiences for me this year ....

Also Nick Breckon: put some fucking werewolves in it okay !

The trailer looks fantastic but since I'll most probably be playing this on a PS3, I'll remain cautious about getting too hyped for 'omg graphics' given FO3/NV.

Breathtaking. The music is so good it's a wonder they managed to get the rest of the trailer on par, but they did. Ready to spend another lifetime in that world.

Aesius

DennisK4 said:

This is probably the most exciting trailer footage I have ever seen.

Fall colors in a birch tree forest.

That scene reminds me of B.C., the long canceled Peter Molyneux Xbox game. I was so fucking hyped for it.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Stalking the deer in the autumn woods is when I gasped. Also the wolf that's about to get an arrow to the face still seems to have that Bethesda right angle movement robot animation thing.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Im surprised, BF3 and Skyrim gameplay footage and not even a single teaser for the new Tomb Raider game yet, which got announced way before the other two titles.

Thermite

Good god, what a trailer; literally gave me goosebumps. And that music...GODDAMN. So good.gif

Once this releases, it's going to completely own me. No sunshine for weeks, nay, months!

JoeBoy101

Cyborg said:
The music is amazing but the graphics wont be good as in this trailer.

That's 360 footage, so yeah, I pretty sure my PC is going to run it at least good as in this trailer. And given its 360 footage, I'm pretty sure 360 will run it at that as well.

Top Bottom