• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

I own both. I can see why you'd say that - and I know I'm in the minoriy - but I'm going for the PS4 version.

Hopefully it looks nicer. But main reason being I'm not fussed about mods for Skyrim (the base game is awesome as it is) and I'm buying this mainly to experience the DLC - never played any of them.

Haha, I own both consoles and I believe my steam account will be getting the updated version for free today, and I bought the xbox one version anyway. Yea, I don't know either, I just go with whatever I'm feeling these days, there's very little logic to it.

Cornbread78

that's just a rocket disguised as a mammoth
hopefully, we do! :p
I don't believe they fixed all the old bugs though, but the flying mammots was fixed I think.
I hope you still go flying up high in the air if you die by giant club :p
kinda want this

Great, now I've been all over online trying to find some of the glorious gifs from the buggy mess of a PS3 game this was.

Sky87

Does mods disable achievements on PC as well? The original Skyrim version supported mods and achievements fine.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does mods disable achievements on PC as well? The original Skyrim version supported mods and achievements fine.

Yes. Fallout 4 is the same, but amusingly enough there's a mod that re-enables them.

blackjaw

$47.99 on Amazon prime for xb1 and ps4 ...trying to think of why not to get this since I loved the original and have been clamoring to replay it

Lister

Banned
People still care about trophies? People ever cared about trophies on steam!?

Caring about comparing them to others or the "Fairness" of a gamerscore is lame, IMHO, but I like achievements as a personal accomplishment thing.

I know if I earned it or not, that's all that matters and sometimes it's nice to look back and tie gaming moments/memories to my achivement lists.

Do PC/Steam owners need to DO anything to claim their Special Edition update? I just grabbed the last $5 DLC I didn't own so that I could meet the deadline of having them all, so is there a next step to take?

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I got my preload on steam done.

I hope this version works as well as the original does in VorpX so I can play this in VR on the vive.

Looking forward to some skyrim. I keep telling myself I won't steal everything that isn't nailed down but deep down inside I know I'll be hoarding cheese wheels within an hour.

Unicorn

Do PC/Steam owners need to DO anything to claim their Special Edition update? I just grabbed the last $5 DLC I didn't own so that I could meet the deadline of having them all, so is there a next step to take?
It's a separate entry in your library and I think they've been adding it in batches, so be patient, hopefully.

Skunkers

I already had the Legendary Edition for a long time and the Special Edition showed up in my Library for preload around yesterday. According to the last news on the situation, for people in your case they are adding in batches, so it should show up in your Library within a day or so.

Played the original Skyrim for a few hours and had a decent time. I intend to sink into the PC version at some point between now and the end of the year, so the Special Edition couldn't have come at a better time.

I'll go vanilla for now, then maybe mod it up when I start getting bored or uninterested. Might go back to the original depending on the mod scene at the time.

Should go for Xbox One over PS4 for the mods, right?

If you have a both and are looking into get the best mod support, I don't see why any person would not get the XB1 copy. There is already 6 times the amount of mods available. End of day, it's a matter of preference and how you are gonna be playing the game.

I'm looking forward to my Free PC copy. Considering doubling dipping on the X1 as well.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I'll definitely grab it on Xbox when it's dirt cheap, I think it's ridiculous that Bethesda is charging $80 CAD for this. Not even 60fps lol.
But I am excited to get it when it hits $20.

JaseC

Valve will add it to your account the next time it processes a batch of eligible accounts.

Kenai

Might buy it for the Xbone down the line, but for now I already had everything on Steam. Clocked in ~316 hours over the years and will dive back in again! Mods really can make this feel like a different games, and the base game ain't bad. Pre loading it right now, although it might take me a while to get to it. Should be a window pre-Pokemon Sun and post FF14 3.45, fingers crossed

www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/

Right now there is only 3 pages of mods. No SKSE is a huge problem.

I'm sure they will add that in, but yea. Besides being awesome in it's own right a lot of mods rely on it.

It will show up as a separate entry in your library, but it apparently can take some time. Fingers crossed that it will show up with plenty of time to pre load it.

kris.

Banned
is there a way to disable the console in any ini files? i'd really like to play through again without getting the urge to cheat all the time like i normally do haha

Jeff6851

I bought Fallout 4 the other day while it was on sale and I'm about 10 hours in. Decided to do some work on my new character on Skyrim that I started a while back to get ready for the upgrade (didn't even make it to Whiterun yet) and now I haven't touched Fallout in days lol. This game is just too good.

Mercador

GAF, I need your advice.

Should I play the same type of character I played in 2011, a sword and shield orc? That's my preferred guy in ES games.

OR should I try something new like a khajiit archer?

Also, is this game going to look better than Fallout 4 does (on a high end gaming PC)?

Playing a thief assassin with dual blades and a nice bow is quite enjoyable. And genreally, I create characters like yours.

Jamesways

Those mods are simply not possible on PS4 :/
That's a shame. I didn't think either of those added assets from outside the game.

Ah well, the hearthfire infinite build box looks great. I just want to get back to sitting on the upstairs balcony of my Hjaalmarch Hall, drinking rare ale, and looking out over the snowy hills while listening to Dawn and Under an Ancient Sun.

It's silly, but that's some of the greatest gaming memories for me right there.

120v

I was kind of "whatever" on this but since the preload popped up on steam Ive been getting kinda hyped to get back into some ermagerd dergenbern action.

Not particulary a fan of dicking around with mods too much so I'm excited to see how my 980ti can hold up.

I think I'm going to go through the game and get as many of the achievements as I can in a single playthrough, then do a playthrough with mods and get crazy. I want to experience the game fresh again before I hack it all up and get silly haha.

JaseC

Wait this unlocks later today, and not tomorrow?

If 7h47m from now is "later today" for you, then yes. ;)

On a related note, in case anybody is wondering, I intend to do the PC performance thread. I have my alarm set for 10 minutes before unlock o'clock.

So, I played this on 360 originally, but now I have a great PC so I'm thinking of replaying this on PC.

What are considered to be the essential mods for Skyrim? I'm not looking to change the core experience, but I definitely welcome any quality of life stuff. I saw that there was a mod to remove most loading screens between zones which seems pretty awesome.

Got the rest of the DLC on Steam, so I guess the Special Edition will be added sometime later.

Looking back despite getting bored and disappointed towards the end, I still had fun with it. So maybe going through the game with the DLC (and I guess mods) might make it better.

Branson

Preloaded and ready to go on PC. Curious to see some of the performance improvements. Most of the essential mods I feel like will take time so I might as well enjoy vanilla for a bit.

Plus it will be nice not to mess with an ENB for once.

Ploid 3.0

Lord, Bethesda is going to make so much money off this thing.

I wondered why they were so conservative on the graphical upgrade when PC mods easily add a lot of beauty to the game that are considerably above this console gen even. They could have even gotten permission from the people that already did the work and gave them some money for it to cut costs on doing it themselves (time). The main focus of this Special Edition seem to be mods so for console the level of detail they aimed for is probably a good balance to not break xbox one's custom asset modded games.

Bethesda should be doing things for the mod community. They owe a lot to them, especially if this game sells as much as you think. They could have at least added a skse alternative, one that's probably better integrated for starters. I mean, they could have just extended the scripts limit right? lol, then PS4 would have one less thing to miss out on.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Excited to jump back into the PC version, after putting 500+ hours into the original + DLC, this should be a nice fresh start.

However, I wont touch it until Skyui is ported over. The game is F***ing unplayable without it. Has the Skyui dev said anything?

zethren

Banned
I played so much Skyrim on 360, and then again a few years later on PC.

I'm so stoked to get back into this world once again. Love it.

Top Bottom