• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

Rarius

I've been having trouble aiming, I don't know if it's because my FOV is cranked up a bit, but like, when they're close, hitting enemies is a fucking nightmare

nOoblet16

I've been having trouble aiming, I don't know if it's because my FOV is cranked up a bit, but like, when they're close, hitting enemies is a fucking nightmare

Yep this is due to FoV, the aiming FoV does not scale properly with the overall FoV. Like you can go from 60-90 and see a huge difference when not aiming, but the difference between 60-90 while aiming is not that much and as such whenever an enemy is close to you it fucks things up as they seem closer than they are.

It's been ages since I played the first one, but that's how I felt when playing the first one too with aiming. I just assumed it was the game's style.

Skyr

I'm glad it's not just me. I play with a DS4 on PC and have a hard time aiming precisely.
I usually have no issues aiming with a pad.

Yep this is due to FoV, the aiming FoV does not scale properly with the overall FoV. Like you can go from 60-90 and see a huge difference when not aiming, but the difference between 60-90 while aiming is not that much and as such whenever an enemy is close to you it fucks things up as they seem closer than they are.

Interesting.. I'll try default fov later and see how it compares.

-MD-

First thing I did was dump like 12k gel into Seb's ungodly slow crouch speed.

It's been ages since I played the first one, but that's how I felt when playing the first one too with aiming. I just assumed it was the game's style.

Not sure about this one but ya in TEW1 you had to have a little distance between the enemy and your gun otherwise shots wouldn't register.

epmode

It's annoying that you can't bump up the difficulty level after you start. I'm trying to decide between Survival and Nightmare. I haven't played the first game and I don't want it to be tediously difficult.

-MD-

It's annoying that you can't bump up the difficulty level after you start. I'm trying to decide between Survival and Nightmare. I haven't played the first game and I don't want it to be tediously difficult.

I saw an option to change difficulty in game, maybe it can only be lowered? In that case start on Nightmare and lower it if you feel the need.

Skyr

Did you play The Last of Us? Like there Nightmare mode will become fairly easy when you play it sneaking style and take on enemies one by one. If you go in guns blazing it will become hard due to limited resource.
So it depends on your playing style.

nOoblet16

I'm glad it's not just me. I play with a DS4 on PC and have a hard time aiming precisely.
I usually have no issues aiming with a pad.

Interesting.. I'll try default fov later and see how it compares.

Default FoV is too low though, increase it by about 10 and try that.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For those playing on Nightmare difficulty, how many times have you died and what chapter are you up to? Thanks.

Small question.... do ennemy reappear if i go into a safehouse? Been exploring the first area for a while and found and killed a lot of things!

Want to be sure before i go back, i have some area left to explore

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Maybe off topic, but did anyone order from CDKeys? Any issues with buying from them? Seeing it for $35 on there currently.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Huh, try to click Buy Now to add to cart but just brings me to the Shopping Cart screen saying that my cart is empty.

EDIT: Creating an account seemed to fix it.

kodecraft

I have a lot I want to say and probably will, but one misc random though.

There's some really cool and unique ideas at play here. In Chapter 3, if you do one of the side-quests,
with the ghost lady, the ghost will literally haunt you the whole game on and off even later chapters. If you never do the side-quest, she won't randomly appear through the game.

I need the experience, I'll be doing that objective.

Did you try enabling aim assist? Might be worth a try.

I think I died about 100 times just on this part of the dlc, I just couldn't do it. Nothing in the main game gave me any huge trouble

maxresdefault.jpg

Which DLC was this? I never played either.

Toa TAK

Banned
I dunno how I feel about the art direction in this one. I'm sure I'll just get used to it, but I like the designs and look of the characters in the first. Sebastian and Kidman look off, especially Kidman.

I think I died about 100 times just on this part of the dlc, I just couldn't do it. Nothing in the main game gave me any huge trouble

maxresdefault.jpg

Oh my God, I feel your pain. I loved that part, though.

Nere

Before I buy it, all I want to ask is: Is there another village section (or like the village) ala Evil Within 1 and RE4? Those were the best moments of the first game.

Before I buy it, all I want to ask is: Is there another village section (or like the village) ala Evil Within 1 and RE4? Those were the best moments of the first game.

Are you talking aesthetically or mechanically? If its the latter I would argue the open-world of Chapter 3 pretty much fits that description.

Cudder

On the fence about buying it.

I adored TEW1. It was like a throwback to last gen survival horror, which is something I hadn't felt much of since this gen started. It was so tightly designed. I loved the insane environments and corridors it funneled you down. Each chapter and encounter was sleek and well designed. For people who are further into the game than chapter 3, is there still any of the above in this one?

It's actually an incredibly bold sequel that's kind of its own thing. You can tell the same team made it and it's an Evil Within game, and this next point is kind of hard to explain, but like how the original Evil Within took from so many horror sources but ended up feeling like its own thing, The Evil Within 2 does this too but not to become like the original game, to become more its separate 'own thing', pulling from things in different ways. It conducts itself in a way that's not the direction I think anyone really expected.

Absolutely and I think a ton of people upset at the art change,is fine, but being this is a controlled STEM and not inside the mind of a killer, it shouldn't be some nightmare like the first in designs imo, but I do hope as STEM starts to collapse and these individuals take over more, it begins to descend into madness deeper. This would play more into the idea that it's deliberate.

epmode

This guy's jogging speed is ridiculously slow. It's barely faster than the walk speed and it doesn't seem to match the animation. Sprinting feels alright though.
Did you play The Last of Us? Like there Nightmare mode will become fairly easy when you play it sneaking style and take on enemies one by one. If you go in guns blazing it will become hard due to limited resource.
So it depends on your playing style.

I restarted on Nightmare. We'll see how it goes.

edit: The jogging speed is better once you get to Chapter 3. Weird.

kodecraft

I can see why they made the UI bright and visible since the first game had people not even watching the stamina bar and complaining when they ran out and got ganked.

This.

There is a reason for the now more colorful, popful UI. I've explained it before from a UX perspective maybe even in this thread. So, in TEW2 they tried to resolve most of the game play critiques from the first game.

Also, IGN mentioned in their review that the first half and second half of the game are different, pacing wise. It makes sense that chapter 3 has people sinking so much time into it gathering things and building themselves up. Because the second half potentially has you plowing through chapters to make it all up.

Seb's movements look so shit when you have the FoV pulled back to 80 or 90 as you can see his legs and all, that don't move naturally at all. At 60-65 FoV you get an over the shoulder cam and the legs are out of view so it looks better but that's too low of an FoV.

Haha, dude I thought I was the only one thinking this. Having the FOV slider is nice but I can't look past Sebs awkward leg animations. The trade-off is do you want immersion breaking animation or claustrophobic camera placement?

I reside in the 70s FOV myself though.

Neff

Man I got super excited when I got to the
Town Hall and saw the Resident Evil map
, only to discover that it's basically
a lengthy series of scripted hallucinations
:/

I dunno, I feel like TEW2 is a game of equal shit/gold handfuls, and gold should rightly be heavier than shit. I'm currently at Chapter 6 and I feel like this is one of the weakest games Mikami has put his name to, even if he didn't direct it.

I really want it to get better and I hope it does.

xviper

fucking youtube recommended vidoes, they spoiled the final boss for me and i didn't even fucking play the game yet

is there a way to filter out The evil within 2 videos on youtube ?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I haven't read the thread, but how do fans of the first feel about the move to a more open world type setting? I really liked how the first felt like each stage was a puzzle you had to figure out and master. Is that feel still intact?

Astral

Do enemy encounters change between Survival mode and Nightmare like they do in the first game? I thought that was a nice touch that gave the game more replay value.

My copy just arrived! Probably will start tonight.

What difficulty is everyone starting on? If I liked Survival difficulty in the first game, will this version of Survival feel too easy? And is Nightmare difficult to the point where it isn't enjoyable to play, or does it feel like a fair challenge?

I really do not like the gamepad controls in this game, I ended up switching to M+K which I almost never do for third person shooters. I just couldn't get them to feel good no matter how I tweaked the settings, which is weird since I never had any issues with TEW1 in that regard.

Top Bottom