• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
You can turn off the in game objective markers.

Yup. For anyone who wants to turn off any HUD element, go to Options, and under General at the bottom there is a HUD turn on/off menu where they let you turn on/off all HUD elements.

I've turned almost all of it off. You really don't need the objective markers if you don't want them, the Communicator can work out well to lead you to something anyways if you remember to check it occasionally and is a bit more fun to use in that way I think.

Kiro

I'll recommend it. Nightmare will seem REALLY hard at first especially, but you begin to get a handle.

The game also lets you knock the difficulty down on the options menu if it becomes too much. You can change the difficulty down to survival or casual if playing on Nightmare and it's too hard you decide, but I don't think you can knock it up to Nightmare from Survival if you wanted to.

Thank you. This is exactly the answer I needed.

Roussow

At chapter 6 now, I think I'm going to save the 75K goo and go for the slow-mo, who needs stamina to run away when you can headshot everyone eith ease.

Yup. For anyone who wants to turn off any HUD element, go to Options, and under General at the bottom there is a HUD turn on/off menu where they let you turn on/off all HUD elements.

I've turned almost all of it off. You really don't need the objective markers if you don't want them, the Communicator can work out well to lead you to something anyways if you remember to check it occasionally and is a bit more fun to use in that way I think.

I know that, but I still want to see my health, stamina and ammo count.

I liked The Evil Within's UI a lot, can't believe the sequel have such a ugly design. I can't even enjoy the game properly, I am serious. Why can't we just have TEW1's UI?

Gbraga

Since I'm still very early on in Chapter 3, I think I'll just start over on Nightmare. A lot of people complaining that Survival is way too easy.

Are there any huge significant changes/improvements over the first one or is it all pretty samey?

It's a completely different game, basically the Dark Souls 2 of Evil Within series.

It doesn't even feel like the same series to me tbh, the tone is quite different, voice actors are all replaced too. Feels a bit like The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor in some ways.

Dusk Golem

Are there any huge significant changes/improvements over the first one or is it all pretty samey?

It's actually an incredibly bold sequel that's kind of its own thing. You can tell the same team made it and it's an Evil Within game, and this next point is kind of hard to explain, but like how the original Evil Within took from so many horror sources but ended up feeling like its own thing, The Evil Within 2 does this too but not to become like the original game, to become more its separate 'own thing', pulling from things in different ways. It conducts itself in a way that's not the direction I think anyone really expected.

Maybe someone can answer it better than I could, but it is in no way Evil Within 1.5 sequel territory. It kind of decides to do its own thing that's in many ways quite a departure from the original, while still retaining some elements from the original. They have improved most elements that people complained about the original though, from the story, to better combat, better stealth, Sebastian reacting more, to more horror (not to say scarier, but more horror set-pieces and moments than action), and a lot of other things, and then decided to take those improvements and try to make something entirely new with it.

Marcel

I liked the first game despite its many flaws...but I can't really get a handle on if I'm going to like this one by reading things in here. Impressions are all over the place and with things like Dark Souls 2 being invoked it gives me pause. I think I can safely wait for a price drop since this game is likely to have poor sales.

Facism

So far, it's familiar, but clearly different in tone and the way the game progresses. It's not really more of the same, and so far hasn't got the uber-gore aesthetic of the first game.

I'm glad it has somewhat of a differing tone and focus than the first game, we get enough horrible yearly retreads of the same game over and over elsewhere. The first 6 chapters play out quite differently in macro gameplay elements and design compared to the first. The Silent Hill-like play areas aren't quite open world, but wide-linear. There are a lot of places to explore, but no so much that you're hunting for feathers or other dumb ubisoft open-world shyte. Everything so far feels like it has purpose and logic within the game's atmosphere and setting.

I liked the first game despite its many flaws...but I can't really get a handle on if I'm going to like this one by reading things in here. Impressions are all over the place and with things like Dark Souls 2 being invoked it gives me pause. I think I can safely wait for a price drop since this game is likely to have poor sales.

You shouldn't let impressions affect you, if you like horror games then you should definitely give it a try. I know my impression seems disappointing but keep in mind I am a very picky person when it comes to games, I was among the first to ''hate'' on Dark Souls 2 back when everyone in the Souls community was praising and enjoying it.

You mentioned that you liked the first Evil Within, what element do you like the most?

Far better enemy designs so far, the open world is more a hub thing similar to the Silent Hill games and it's simply a far more persistent world you're moving in, kinda. Combat is basically just the first game but better. More crafting focus, which isn't really something that does either good or bad for the game.
skilltree has a larger focus new abilities rather than just statbuffs. So there's a bigger sense of improvement in upgrades imo, works well for this game atleast.

Horror elements so far are way better, i'm getting more Silent Hill vibes than RE vibes in some aspects, and that's entirely a positive.

I know some people are pissed about no matches but they only made sense plotwise in the first game and it has no place in 2, so iunno. It was a cool mechanic but stomp is a nice replacement.

I spent like 4.5 hours in Ch. 3 yesterday and I'm still not finished with it, what the hell. I already knew about the change in structure, but this still feels more different than I thought it would. I'm still super early, obviously, so I'm not going to say whether it's better or worse than what TEW1 did, but I can see diehard fans of the first being thrown for a bit of a loop here. Still though, the more you explore the town, the more that scatterbrained, surreal side of The Evil Within starts to show itself again. It's not a straight rollercoaster of horror paint thrown at the wall like the first game was (at least not yet), but there is something to be said for the way they've designed so many pockets of horror styles and encounters in a wider, seamless environment while nonchalantly throwing gameplay systems and gear at you. Even though I haven't made a ton of game progress, it still feels like I've done a lot and already amassed my standard TEW arsenal.

This is interesting. I'll get into art direction, mechanics, etc. in a later post. I will say that the RE4 leg shot + kick is a fair tradeoff for the matches being gone tbh. Push kick + head explosion + oh mah gawddddddddddddd

Dusk Golem

One thing, if you're like me and plan to do all the side-quests in Chapter 3, then know that pursuit is easily like a 5-7 hour thing the first time you do it probably. Chapter 3's "open world" level has a staggering amount of stuff to do in it and tings pocketed away to stumble upon.

I had a lot of fun exploring and doing everything there, though. It also gets bizarre when you realize you've been playing the game for almost an entire length of another game (6-8 hours), and you're just getting past Chapter 3 of
in the game.

I actually have no idea if the game has any other chapters that are as big "open-world" or fleshed out as Chapter 3's, I guess we shall see.

drotahorror

So far it's been very tough. Most your bullets come from crafting or finding on a hidden mini sidequest. Even a single enemy is deadly, at least early on. I can't see too many folks playing it on that difficulty yet and being super far. I'm abouy 4 hours in and still on chapter 3 and probably facing 20+ deaths almost.

I died to the first enemy encounter
the guy that busts through the door after you kill the first female enemy
3 or 4x. I had to switch to mouse and keyboard. I'm on nightmare, it's pretty tough indeed.

I feel like I should be able to stealth kill from a bush after being chased and hiding in them. Maybe that would be a bit easy though I guess.

I feel like the stealth path will be very good for this difficulty. It's going to be one of my main trees this run. Also, you get plenty of stamina as a base this time around for sprinting, thank goodness.

Marcel

You shouldn't let impressions affect you, if you want a horror tps shooter then it wouldn't hurt to give it try.

You mentioned that you liked the first game, what element do you like the most?

I liked the survival elements and the moment to moment gameplay where you're expected to negotiate enemies in your way under spartan circumstances. I also enjoyed the atmosphere of the first game and having just a generic town backdrop is kind of disappointing on its face.

The change to horror action in TEW1 is where that game loses me entirely and I'm still not sure how much of that is in TEW2. I love RE4 as much as the next person but Mikami just needs to decide what he wants: horror action or survival horror. The two don't always blend easily.

Dusk Golem

I died to the first enemy encounter
the guy that busts through the door after you kill the first female enemy
3 or 4x. I had to switch to mouse and keyboard. I'm on nightmare, it's pretty tough indeed.

That was my experience as well. XD; I also got my ass handed to me at the start of Chapter 3 with some of the scenarios, but I began to get a better handle on it all as I went. Pretty decent at the game on Nightmare now, 9 & a half hours in and just reached Chapter 5.

I have a lot I want to say and probably will, but one misc random though.

There's some really cool and unique ideas at play here. In Chapter 3, if you do one of the side-quests,
with the ghost lady, the ghost will literally haunt you the whole game on and off even later chapters. If you never do the side-quest, she won't randomly appear through the game.

oh shit, do you wanna pm on how to trigger this? I think i've found bits and pieces of the sidequest but didn't properly get it going.

I appreciate that they took a lot of risks with this. I wish more developers did that.

That said, I'm not sure this is for me. Everything just feels so lifeless, art direction wise, compared to TEW1 (which, to be fair, I didn't play but have seen about half of it played by a friend). The UI in particular drives me insane.

Dusk Golem

Do you know if it's too late to get to if i'm
currently in the hallows going to another area? I'm assuming i will return soon enough but i just hope it's not too late.

You should still be able to do it, you can still return to Union Residential Area. I don't know if there's a cut off point.to that, but I know you can return to it from Chapter 4, 5, & 6 at least. Not sure if the side-quest stays there or not as I got it in Chapter 3, but of note.

Gbraga

It's really different. In atmosphere, design, narrative, it's very very different.

Not everyone liked the changes, but I find that an interesting way to handle a sequel. The more reasons I have to revisit older entries later on, the better.

Rarius

Neat little thing I noticed, every so often after interacting with something, Seb's injured hand will act up and he'll whip it a few times to stop the pain

I know that, but I still want to see my health, stamina and ammo count.

I liked The Evil Within's UI a lot, can't believe the sequel have such a ugly design. I can't even enjoy the game properly, I am serious. Why can't we just have TEW1's UI?

You can see all that, i only turned off objective markers and cover, works great.

I liked the survival elements and the moment to moment gameplay where you're expected to negotiate enemies in your way under spartan circumstances. I also enjoyed the atmosphere of the first game and having just a generic town backdrop is kind of disappointing on its face.

The change to horror action in TEW1 is where that game loses me entirely and I'm still not sure how much of that is in TEW2. I love RE4 as much as the next person but Mikami just needs to decide what he wants: horror action or survival horror. The two don't always blend easily.

I agree with you, the first Evil Within sorta turn into a horror action shooter after Chapter 11, it was much more interesting before that.

That being said, I really appreciate how tactical Evil Within's combat is, it's just really well thought out and flexible, playing TEW2 right now made me realized how underrated TEW1 combat design was. Not saying TEW2 is bad or anything, it's just a little too straight forward.

Fighting an enemy in TEW1 is a lot more fun imo, fighting multiple enemies in TEW1 is also a lot more fun imo. The enemy AI was much better in the first game, everything was designed around the difficulty, there's no real easy option in the first game (Casual is barely any easier than Survival, if Survival is 2.0 then Casual is like 1.7 or 1.8)

Rarius

As someone who played through the first one recently, I genuinely think you're giving the first one way too much credit, there's like a good -third- of the game in which traps basically become non-existent, and the combat becomes really, really terrible, and then gameplay returns to normal afterwards. It's really bizarre.

tesqui

I hope i didn't make a poor decision by knocking Nightmare down to survival. I just felt that first stealth sequence felt like janky bullshit on that difficulty. Sucks that it won't let you put it back up.

SeanTSC

Did anyone who ordered from Best Buy get their pre-order bonus yet? I assume it's an email, as one didn't come in the case.

I dont get the combat complaint, ita literally the exact same game mechanically with some more abilities dropped in the skilltree. Im a reslly big fan of 1 but its not like it had some groundbreaking enemy encounter designs outside of a couple boss setpieces.

Edit: and lets not even get started on chapters 10-15, good god what happened near the end of development there.

As someone who played through the first one recently, I genuinely think you're giving the first one way too much credit, there's like a good -third- of the game in which traps basically become non-existent, and the combat becomes really, really terrible, and then gameplay returns to normal afterwards. It's really bizarre.

The first TEW definitely has flaws, but the overall gameplay was a lot tighter imo, the ''zombies'' also had a lot more variety and uses many different weapons on you. The zombies in TEW1 feels a lot more like the villagers in RE4, while the zombies in TEW2 feel a lot more like the infected in TLoU.

Again, not saying TEW1 is a better game, just saying TEW2 is really different.

Call me crazy but I genuinely think TEW1's control was a lot more responsive, TEW2's control does feel a bit more ''realistic'' and ''weighty'' tho. I guess TEW just feels more arcade.

These are first impressions from an hour thirty in. Obviously all of this is subject to change as I have done practically nothing. So here are my thoughts:

The start is a walking simulator, not sure if that's better or worse than an awful stealth segment to start the game like in TEW1.

So they took the new additions from the DLC and put it into the main game. So now it has proper stealth mechanics like cover, infinite sneak kills cause you have a knife on you, you can lure enemies by calling them. This makes stealth mode mechanically sound... and more boring

In the first game you had to use what they gave you whether it be a bottle you find, maybe you find an axe which allows One stealth kill. You need to use traps around the world in clever ways. Matches are gone in TEW2, they were a Huge component of the first and made it stand out.

The first horde of enemies I found I got caught and they all swarmed me and destroyed me, clearly you can't fight hordes yet, it is dangerous. So I use the stealth mechanics to do obvious stealth stuff to get stealth kills. If I get seen I just run backwards till I can't anymore and everyone stops chasing me, I just go back and they all reset. This seems way cheesier than anything in the first game,

I reached the first save area and got some missions to do and that's where I stopped. Gunplay feels about the same, headshots are satisfying. I like that he can run for a long time in this game, no more stamina of an 80 year old. But man I am already missing some of the more quirky elements of the first game when it came to "stealth" cause it wasn't traditional.

So that's what I got so far, I will have to play more days from now as I am away. I do think the story seems way more focused and coherent so that's good. I hate the preorder bonus just being forced on you like that, I don't want to cheat! I didn't even know what the bonus was.

Zutrax

Did they fix my biggest issue with the first game control/combat wise, the melee combat? It felt so mushy, weak, and unusable. Enemies barely reacted, and it took way too many punches to matter even fully upgraded. I felt jipped upgrading it all the way hoping I'd be able to preserve ammo using it.

Did they fix my biggest issue with the first game control/combat wise, the melee combat? It felt so mushy, weak, and unusable. Enemies barely reacted, and it took way too many punches to matter even fully upgraded. I felt jipped upgrading it all the way hoping I'd be able to preserve ammo using it.

I don't like the knife attack at all, it feels the same, just a way to push off an enemy. Nothing like RE knife.

Foxxsoxx

Many reviews mention the game only gets better and really picks up around Chapter 6 or 7 and gets insane and amazing all the way through Chapter 17.

There are 17 chapters? Jesus I'm just starting chapter 4 and I'm 7 hours in.

Then again, chapter 3 was bizarre in terms of how quickly it opens up.

Kazuhira

Edit: and lets not even get started on chapters 10-15, good god what happened near the end of development there.

You didn't like ch10? i think the only one that was trash is ch12,with ch11 being passable(the only cool part was the gas room segment tbh).
Ch13,14 are great and the last one is 'ok' imo.

kunonabi

I spent like 4.5 hours in Ch. 3 yesterday and I'm still not finished with it, what the hell. I already knew about the change in structure, but this still feels more different than I thought it would. I'm still super early, obviously, so I'm not going to say whether it's better or worse than what TEW1 did, but I can see diehard fans of the first being thrown for a bit of a loop here. Still though, the more you explore the town, the more that scatterbrained, surreal side of The Evil Within starts to show itself again. It's not a straight rollercoaster of horror paint thrown at the wall like the first game was (at least not yet), but there is something to be said for the way they've designed so many pockets of horror styles and encounters in a wider, seamless environment while nonchalantly throwing gameplay systems and gear at you. Even though I haven't made a ton of game progress, it still feels like I've done a lot and already amassed my standard TEW arsenal.

This is interesting. I'll get into art direction, mechanics, etc. in a later post. I will say that the RE4 leg shot + kick is a fair tradeoff for the matches being gone tbh. Push kick + head explosion + oh mah gawddddddddddddd

Goddamnit, please tell me this crap isnt as overpowered as it was in RE4.

Rymuth

This sorta mirrors my feelings now that I'm in chapter 4.

The change in structure is very jarring and I'm not quite sure if I'm liking it or not. It feels more like an RPG Silent Hill than a sequel to The Evil Within.

Top Bottom