• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

Hazaku

I briefly glimpsed Gamespot's Nightmare playthrough and the stomp attack is overpowered as fuck

lol it also has iframes I'm pretty sure, this feels weird coming straight from an Akumu playthrough of TEW (which has basically no iframes).

Gaf, how are the actual gunplay mechanics? Feedback, general oomph, hit detection, acceleration - all that jazz.

Comparable to TLOU? I found the mechanics in that to be excellent.

Grazie.

OniBaka

lol it also has iframes I'm pretty sure, this feels weird coming straight from an Akumu playthrough of TEW (which has basically no iframes).

This game has iframes! That's amazing, it might be a cake walk compared to the first 1 then.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
If playing on PC, better with controller or KB+M is satisfactory?

hughesta

Banned
only played for an hour or so, stopped real early on due to some errands
just to where we have to sneak over to save that tech dude

loving it so far. Atmosphere is great, and I'm really enjoying the story and Sebastian in general so far. VA is good and the writing is the perfect mixture of understandable motivation and dumb survival horror bullshit that I love.

only problem so far is how much I hate Sebastian's walking animation. just looks lame.

aravuus

You can use a DS4 controller too right? Because of Steam and XInput emulation?

Yeah. DS4Windows and all those tools have stopped working for me, but Steam games still work great with my DS4. Just start Steam and plug the controller in. Might have to do some big picture controller configuration the first time around though, not entirely sure.

Anyone using a DS4 controller? I'm using DS4 windows and the game isn't responding besides the touch pad on the controller.

*edit* just saw the messages on top

Yeah. DS4Windows and all those tools have stopped working for me, but Steam games still work great with my DS4. Just start Steam and plug the controller in. Might have to do some big picture controller configuration the first time around though, not entirely sure.

Cool, thanks for the information.
I will try it later.

The regular enemies on nightmare are tough, but I can handle them without dying... But that crazy skinny bitch with the knife takes too much damage and kills me in two hits. My first three deaths are from her. There is definitely a problem with hit detection in this game. I'm disappointed because the first game had that problem too. I thought they'd fix it.

You guys think I can just watch a complete walkthrough of the first game to catch up and play this or recommend that I play through the first one?

Made it to chapter 3 and enjoying it. Glad to see a lot from the first one return.

Given that I just replayed the first game this week, the new models and voice actors are bugging me a lot right now.

myco666

You guys think I can just watch a complete walkthrough of the first game to catch up and play this or recommend that I play through the first one?

If you want to do it just for the story I would suggest to watch some recap of the story. Bethesda claims that this game should be easy to follow even if you hadn't play the original.

Karak

The regular enemies on nightmare are tough, but I can handle them without dying... But that crazy skinny bitch with the knife takes too much damage and kills me in two hits. My first three deaths are from her. There is definitely a problem with hit detection in this game. I'm disappointed because the first game had that problem too. I thought they'd fix it.

Do you mean the freaky red eyed glowing ladies?

I've been thinking of the best ammo conserving way to kill those ladies ever since I found out that you can't oneshot them with stealth.

I hope you can do something like:

Stealth (1) -> Bottle/Shock bolt -> Stealth (2)

Playing on nightmare my first time. On chapter 3, I've had so many "oh sh!t" moments. 3 hours deep.

3KDf7vV.gif

Like horror movie, run for your fuckin life moments of barely surviving as you limp away or hide in fear. This game man.

Just took a peak at the guide on chapter 3 and man its absolutely huge and filled with all sorts of collectibles, events, weapons. Wow. Super impressed.

myco666

Just got to third chapter. Don't really like how they changed Sebastians movement to strafing and I died little bit inside when all those dialogue options with bad camera work came up.

Been playing the third chapter for awhile now, just exploring various areas for items and such. Not sure how I feel about it so far, I really underestimated how different it was going to be in structure from the first game. I don't know if trading off Evil Within's tightly designed encounters for more open environments was worthwhile, but I need to give it more time and see how it grows on me. Not a fan of the Bioware-looking dialogue trees though.

Also Nightmare difficulty feels quite hard so far. But I finally just started pumping myself with upgrades, so maybe it will feel more manageable now. Stealth feels way, way more powerful (and pretty much necessary) this time around.

Has any reviews mentioned how amazing the sound in this game is. From noises amd weapons amd more. Holy crap. Super impressed overall so far with some minor performance issues aside.

Been playing the third chapter for awhile now, just exploring various areas for items and such. Not sure how I feel about it so far, I really underestimated how different it was going to be in structure from the first game. I don't know if trading off Evil Within's tightly designed encounters for more open environments was worthwhile, but I need to give it more time and see how it grows on me. Not a fan of the Bioware-looking dialogue trees though.

Also Nightmare difficulty feels quite hard so far. But I finally just started pumping myself with upgrades, so maybe it will feel more manageable now. Stealth feels way, way more powerful this time around.

I like it, the world design is loose but feels like something out of RE with areas you could backtrack. Good amount of freedom too.

Has any reviews mentioned how amazing the sound in this game is. From noises amd weapons amd more. Holy crap. Super impressed overall so far with some minor performance issues aside.

Yeah man, the sound design is ace. The monsters in particular sound awesome.

Also Nightmare difficulty feels quite hard so far. But I finally just started pumping myself with upgrades, so maybe it will feel more manageable now. Stealth feels way, way more powerful (and pretty much necessary) this time around.

It’s not so much different from the first game where you stealth for majority of the early stages as you try to horde your resources.

Saw ACG's review yesterday, good stuff as always. But I was surprised to hear him about the graphics since in earlier videos it seemed to look really good. Definitely improved over the first one.

When do we expect more reviews?

I'm one of those people who loved the first game but understood people's issues with it (incoherent throughline, technical problems, etc). Here are my early impressions on 2:

The first two chapters are really similar to the first game in that it's all setup and pushing forward, was kind of worried the entire game would be like that. Then similar to the first game it opens up in chapter 3, however on a much more grand scale. Ch3 is where it really gets going and I'm really liking it so far and the freedom it gives you; not totally open world but enough to feel like you are doing your own thing. Controls feel good but I don't like the hud indicator for places you can take cover. The weapon and skill upgrade system looks solid and the tradeoff for upgrading in the field is a cool idea.

Really liking it so far!

The opening level and cutscenes draaaagged but once the game is pretty great once you reach the town. The gameplay mechanics are very similar to the original but I think they work a lot better in these open environments.

NEO0MJ

Is there any place to read on the story for the first game's DLC? Don't want to miss any details before starting it.

miserable

anyone knows how to download the Last Chance pack on PS4? I preordered the game on PSN, but the preorder bonus pack wasn't added to the download list, only the game was.

dlauv

I'm enjoying this game much more than I thought I would. Combat is overall better but there is some rigidness and jankiness to enemy feedback that crops up sometime.

The open-endedness and vignettes in the houses are really absorbing.

The survival mechanics (on Nightmare) seem pretty harsh, which is good for hard mode. I'm not sure how I feel about the amount of damage you take from enemies, particularly because of the aforementioned jank, but it's possibly just growing pains on my part for starting with hard. Still totally doable. It's just challenging. I'm playing with controller and the removal of aim assist for Nightmare gets me sometimes. But, from reading comments, it seems I should be aiming at the legs instead of the head.

Game looks a lot better in person than on Youtube. It's very soft and clean -- it's got a creamy look rather than the first game's crunchiness. Not a looker, and the art direction is surely less inspired than the first game, but it isn't as bad at building atmosphere as I thought it would be.

I spent about 5 hours in Chapter 2 cleaning up side-quests and exploring.

Runs at about 40 fps on average on ultra @ 1080p with GTX 970.

Blitzhex

How do you get past the locked door in the tredwell trucking warehouse in chapter 3? (large warehouse with trucks in the yard)

gfxtwin

Is the cutscene direction as impressive as it appears to be in the trailers? Everything looks super kinetic and there seem to be a lot of clever uses of camera angles.

Top Bottom