• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

Foxxsoxx

So I'm 4 and a half hours in and seriously impressed. I just got the shotgun and oh my god does it feel goooooood.

Gotta commend them for the open world design, I didn't keep track of this game at all and it seriously surprised me that they went that direction, what surprises me more if how well it works. If you would have told me before that this game was going to have open levels I would have told you it wouldn't have worked at all.

Incredibly impressed by the whole scavenging aspect of it. I've had a few times where I saw enemies I wanted to pretend didn't exist and noped the fuck right up on out of there.

If I had to describe this game, it's like TLOU and RE4 had a passionate lovemaking session and this is what happened.

Roufianos

Bought it after reading the positive impressions in here. Honestly, I didn't even know it was out.

Fuck Bethesda's review policy, all it does is deflate hype.

sphinx

the piano man
have there been any reports about how the game plays in classic mode??

is it harder than akumu on TEW1?

I know the rules for classic mode here are different than akumu so it may not be comparable directly but I want to know if it's going to be as much a pain in the ass like akumu in the first game.

Foxxsoxx

Bought it after reading the positive impressions in here. Honestly, I didn't even know it was out.

Yeah no idea why, this game is fantastic so far, I only hope it keeps this quality of the first chapters for the whole ride.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Played the first two chapters and left it just as Chapter 3 started. It completely sucked me in right from the word go, I absolutely can't wait until I get back playing it tonight. Went to bed at 2am and woke up at 7am for work, knackered but well worth it.

Gonna be a good evening/weekend and I'm loving hearing about the shotgun being good as I'm a shotgun man in videogames :)

Ohmy. My headphones can't wait.
idtech has usually some SERIOUS positional audio problems - so this and ACG's review mentioning it's good has me hyped!

Dude, headphones are a must.

So here is something that played out straight out of a horror movie. Chapter 3...I'm trying to get back to the safe house but realize I'm far away. Suddenly I notice on the map I'm near a second one, I attenpt to go there due to low health amd thinking its the right move. Sadly seems I can't enter. So I decide to make my way back a different way and notice what looks to be an abandoned train car. As I approach, I hear a noise inside when entering. I try to hid but it hears me, shit. I decide to try shooting at it but can't, I pull out my shotgun and fire. It goes down. I quickly look down the train hallway and see I've awakend 3 new enemies, all geting up and moving into the passageway from their seats. Shit. I haul ass back out of the train limping, hearing at least of them on my trail. Loosing all stamina, I barely manage to remove myself from the situation and recover.

Man, every successful battle on nightmare is a feat! Here is a clip from that moment. https://clips.twitch.tv/PoorDifferentPartridgeOptimizePrime

sphinx

the piano man
mmhh I am reading elsewhere there's no chapter select?

so to get collectibles or just revisit, you have to play the game all over again?

:(

not a fan of that

Kazuhira

Only played a little less than an hour and so far my impression is very positive,game looks and runs great imo.
My only small nitpick is the lack of a walking button/option to appreciate more the atmosphere,whichs is also great.
It's not scary so far due to all the exposition from the first chapter,i'm currently at the very beginning of ch2 but i did feel some kind uneasiness when
the twin peaks references started to appear.
I love
that shot of the big red curtains with the wind blowing through them.
Edit:I wanna go home and play more...

derFeef

So.. is Nightmare recommended for players that liked the survival aspect of the first game (but hated the bullshit moments) ? I loved the struggle, I just did not love some encounters because of weird design choices and unfair moments.

myco666

have there been any reports about how the game plays in classic mode??

is it harder than akumu on TEW1?

I know the rules for classic mode here are different than akumu so it may not be comparable directly but I want to know if it's going to be as much a pain in the ass like akumu in the first game.

I don't think anyone has really played that mode yet but it sounds easier on the paper. I think the only 7 saves restriction is going to make it bit more frustrating though since you can lose way more progress than you ever could with Akumu.

drotahorror

This game is pretty tough. Seems alright so far, not super impressed but I'm still at the beginning. Only made it to the first safe house.

So.. is Nightmare recommended for players that liked the survival aspect of the first game (but hated the bullshit moments) ? I loved the struggle, I just did not love some encounters because of weird design choices and unfair moments.

So far it's been very tough. Most your bullets come from crafting or finding on a hidden mini sidequest. Even a single enemy is deadly, at least early on. I can't see too many folks playing it on that difficulty yet and being super far. I'm abouy 4 hours in and still on chapter 3 and probably facing 20+ deaths almost.

kromeo

I'm seeing people saying contradictory things on the difficulty so who knows, I'm just going to start on nightmare and see how the first couple of chapter go

Alienfan

Are the side quests like Silent Hill Downpours? As in self contained stories sometimes featuring new mechanics or do they feed into the main narrative?

Are the side quests like Silent Hill Downpours? As in self contained stories sometimes featuring new mechanics or do they feed into the main narrative?

So some are designated side quests, marked as green. Those are very few and far between from what it seems. The white ones are regular one that can be anything from finding gear on a body or ammo, to others leading to some creepy experiences. For example one left me stuck in a house and trying to escape "it" , another lead me to an armory.

Truant

I personally think the side quests in Downpour was the best part of the game. They were fantastic, and I loved discovering them. I want a game set in a big creepy city with just a bunch of small sidequests.

psychotron

Is the Last Chance DLC something that comes in the box? My wife preordered the game for me but didn't use my gamers club info, so they may need to void it out at bestbuy and purchase again with the discount. I'm afraid I'll lose the bonus if it's not something included in the box.

Drewfonse

So some are designated side quests, marked as green. Those are very few and far between from what it seems. The white ones are regular one that can be anything from finding gear on a body or ammo, to others leading to some creepy experiences. For example one left me stuck in a house and trying to escape "it" , another lead me to an armory.

It's got fucking clowns in it, too? Greeaaat.

Can't wait to play this, loving these impressions. Let's try to keep location details and enemy related stuff spoilered, please.

Bethesda's review policy wasn't even followed with this game. Game was actually sent to reviewers, Twitch streamers, and YouTubers early this week, hence why full reviews were available a day ahead of launch.

Bethesda has just botched marketing this time.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I have a lot I want to say and probably will, but one misc random though.

There's some really cool and unique ideas at play here. In Chapter 3, if you do one of the side-quests,
with the ghost lady, the ghost will literally haunt you the whole game on and off even later chapters. If you never do the side-quest, she won't randomly appear through the game.

Currently at Chapter 3, not really enjoying the western style open world design and the big yellow quest marker, feels totally out of place and unnecessary in a horror game.

Also the combat seems to be a lot more shallow compare to the first, now it's either back stab or just straight up guns blazing, there're technically more stuff to play with but less options and tactics in general, enemy A.I. is a huge down grade and often you'll find yourself playing that bush hiding game, simply because of how incredibly stupid the enemies are. You can cheese enemies very easily and kind of break the balance of the game.

The control is technically improved but feels a lot less responsive compare to the first game, they add a lot of ''momentum'' here, and you can feel there's a bit of input lag too.

UI design is horrible and immersion breaking, the new director seems to really like this green & orange combo a lot, in my opinion it looks terrible and childish, worst of all it's pretty much everywhere, from upgrade menu to character skill tree, it really kills the horror vibe of the game. I really hope they would go for a colorless, more mature UI like the first game.

Seriously what is this, Dishonored? The stamina bar doesn't even look consistent.

I6G909M.png

What's wrong with the first game's UI? Don't you think this is more fitting for a horror game?

H7Tchrf.png

The weapon icons are also very badly designed, simplified drawings with fat lines & kiddish color don't belong to survival horror games, it's the most bizarre icon design choice I've ever seen.

Literally looks like a handgun drawn by Burger King, great use of Burger King color too.

FF5a8Vb.png

Finally I want to talk about the atmosphere, I will admit Chapter 2 had amazing art direction and atmosphere (I REALLY like that big blinking eye, whatever it is it's a great horror design), but all of that was gone in Chapter 3, the Union town is filled with repetitive designs and flat art style, atmosphere is a huge down grade compare to Chapter 2 and the tone of the game just feel inconsistent in general.

All in all, I feel like this is a sequel made for people who didn't liked the first game, if you are a hardcore fan of the first Evil Within like me, there will be a lot of things you won't like in this game. It's a very different game in pretty much every aspect, if you hated the first Evil Within chances are you will love this. They even made the game much easier just for you.

It's a fun colorful zombie shooter, I guess. Will write more once I beat it, for now I feel the urge to return the game but I still want to give it a try.

(Also, that Fallout 4 NPC dialogue system is fucking dogshit, why is this in a Evil Within game? the voice acting is terrible.)

Drewfonse

Haha. No
clowns
I just don't know what "it" was. So called "it" that.

I know :)

So here is a question for those that beat it. Can you finish on survival and then do new game plus on nightmare?

I'd like to know this, too. This is my likely path. I don't think that I'm up for Nightmare straight out. And if I did, there wouldn't be a viable increased difficulty setting for New Game +, because I'm sure I'll never do the 7 save one.

I know :)

I'd like to know this, too. This is my likely path. I don't think that I'm up for Nightmare straight out. And if I did, there wouldn't be a viable increased difficulty setting for New Game +, because I'm sure I'll never do the 7 save one.

Last edited:

Astral

I’ve only watched reviews of the game but I really don’t like what I’ve seen. The art direction in the first game was so good but this just looks really bland, at least the hub world does. The UI is hideous too. What are these bright orange icons? They’re distracting. Then there’s the generic open world style conversations with NPCs complete with the stuff animation. Are reviews just trying not to spoil much? Does the art direction get better? Is the gunplay good? It just doesn’t look like TEW from what I’ve seen.

Drewfonse

I’ve only watched reviews of the game but I really don’t like what I’ve seen. The art direction in the first game was so good but this just looks really bland, at least the hub world does. The UI is hideous too. What are these bright orange icons? They’re distracting. Then there’s the generic open world style conversations with NPCs complete with the stuff animation. Are reviews just trying not to spoil much? Does the art direction get better? Is the gunplay good? It just doesn’t look like TEW from what I’ve seen.

What about all of the mainly positive impressions from people who are playing it in here?

Dusk Golem

So I've played this game for 9 & a half hours at this point, and barely just finished Chapter 4. First hour and a half was taking it slow and exploring around in the first two chapters, the next six & a half hours was Chapter 3 and do EVERYTHING, 30-45 minutes was committed to me doing the
special shooting gallery minigames added to the Save Area once you reach Chapter 4 and getting all the rewards
, and then the last 45-60 minutes was going through Chapter 4.

I should mention I'm playing on Nightmare difficulty, and playing with almost all my HUD off. Only things I kept on were my reticle, item pick-up info, and some stuff for later like partner health gauge. The game started off REALLY challenging on Nightmare, I was getting my ass handed to me during all of Chapter 2 and the start of Chapter 3, but I really got a handle of it. I managed to kill every single enemy in Chapter 3, mostly with stealth. Learned a few techniques. I explored every inch of Chapter 3, there is a LOT hidden in it. The side-quests are the obvious ones, but they've literally littered the town with so many interesting things off the beaten path. I'll get back to this.

There is so much I want to say, but I don't really know where to start. Firstly, as a horror enthusiast, this is a REALLY neat horror game. On paper and at first it seems pretty basic, but it slowly reveals it has a lot more up its sleeve. I want to say so much, but I also feel I shouldn't to keep most of it a surprise for others who decide to dig into it. All I'll say is if you don't explore Chapter 3 you're doing yourself a huge disservice, there's literally so many fun, interesting, and unique scenarios to find, and not even just in the side-quests. There's also
hidden levels of sorts which are worth finding and experiencing in my opinion among everything, and some do some neat things, like the thing I mentioned in my above post before this one with
the ghost woman who if you do her side-quest will begin to haunt you through the game

To be honest I wasn't really sure what to think of it all at first. Chapter 1 & 2 for a example while I was playing I wasn't quite sure what I thought of it, though in retrospective there was a lot of really cool moments, one of my favorites being
when you look down a dark corridor with your flashlight and a giant strange black and white fuzzy eye is staring back at you, then blinks and disappears
. The game has so many creative touches if you look around and interact with things. And I began to love it more and more as I played Chapter 3, at the start still uncertain but as I began to get into the groove of it I began to love it.

You can tell the team behind this are very passionate for horror and horror games and had a lot of fun making this, it's full of so many small touches everywhere, it's got so much love for other horror stuff. Chapter 2 is in many ways almost like some pseudo walking sim horror game like Layers of Fear is what it reminded me most of, then Chapter 3 experiments with all sorts of things all over the map, and Chapter 4 has some fun with
a unique take on defenseless first-person horror, but with reasoning that makes more sense than usual
. But things are paced well to not only keep you on your toes but keep things interesting, and feed well into each other so far.

Chapter 3 I think some people will have a gut reaction to dislike the open world chapter it is on principle and initial impressions, and to be honest I wasn't sure what to think at first myself, but it is incredibly unique and begins to become very immersive, interesting, and fun to explore as you go through it. It's NOT an empty open world by any means, literally every area is intentionally designed with no randomized features, and it's better for it. It's basically a giant horror amusement part with surprises tucked away into every corner, if you'll look for them, and a lot of twists and turns as you dig deeper into the overworld and a lot of interesting, fun, and tense scenarios packs into every area of the map almost.

Despite the fact I've played this game for nearly 10 hours now, I'm still fairly early in. There's a lot more I want to say but kind of also just want to discuss, and then plan to play a lot more tomorrow. I'm finding now that I'm done playing for now I can't stop thinking about this game. I feel like this game is a very different beast than the first game, I'm not sure everyone who loved the first game will love this one even and some people who didn't really like the first game may end up loving this (it still is tellable it's The Evil Within and made by the same team, but they have made some very bold decisions and tried some very different things design wise which kind of makes The Evil Within all at once reminds of several things, and yet feel rather unique on its own, kind of like the original game but in a completely different way).I can already tell this game is going to go on at the very least to become a cult classic with some sectors of horror fans, it's surprisingly unique in many ways and if you let it, it can really begin growing on you.

snipperdoodle

Hm, thanks for sharing these impressions. I was waiting for the fans of the first game to chime in. I worry about the overt Western influence diluting all the weirdness that made the first game charming.

Gonna hang around for more impressions. It's either this or Wolfenstein after I play Mario Odyssey.

What about all of the mainly positive impressions from people who are playing it in here?

I am playing it too, and I really have to say the art direction is a downgrade overall, this game seems to trade quality with quantity from what I've played.

There's a lot less ''feels'' to the environment, atmosphere is also very inconsistent, at times it looks dark and gritty like TEW1 but most of the time it just looks clean and flat and emotionless (I really don't know how to describe this).

Not saying it's a worse game compare to TEW1, but if you like the beautiful art direction and atmosphere of TEW1 then you will be really disappointed. The ''Soul'' of TEW1 isn't here, at least from what I have played so far.

BaneDrain

Going to start playing tonight, as someone who played the first game on Survivor, I should jump in on Nightmare with this one right?

Yeah no idea why, this game is fantastic so far, I only hope it keeps this quality of the first chapters for the whole ride.

Many reviews mention the game only gets better and really picks up around Chapter 6 or 7 and gets insane and amazing all the way through Chapter 17.

Dusk Golem

Going to start playing tonight, as someone who played the first game on Survivor, I should jump in on Nightmare with this one right?

I'll recommend it. Nightmare will seem REALLY hard at first especially, but you begin to get a handle.

The game also lets you knock the difficulty down on the options menu if it becomes too much. You can change the difficulty down to survival or casual if playing on Nightmare and it's too hard you decide, but I don't think you can knock it up to Nightmare from Survival if you wanted to.

Top Bottom