• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

Conezays

Just got to Chapter 9. Steam says 16 hours, lol. Was not planning on playing this game as much as I have this weekend. Barring the port issues on PC, enjoying it lots (will give detailed impressions once finished).

FiveSide

Banned
Just got to Chapter 9. Steam says 16 hours, lol. Was not planning on playing this game as much as I have this weekend. Barring the port issues on PC, enjoying it lots (will give detailed impressions once finished).

I put 20 hours into it over the course of two days, it definitely sucks you in. I'm not sure what about the game makes it so playable for long stretches of time, but I guess that's a plus.

The strange thing is I had the opposite experience with the first game. Had to do it in many bite-sized chunks, couldn't take too much at a time.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Yoooooo chapter 9 was original TEW as fuck.

I KNOW! As I said a bit previously, Chapter 9 is the first chapter in the game that feels like it could've come from the original game in my opinion.

Chapters 11, 12, & 14 do as well, in my opinion. Though less straight-forward and more they wouldn't have felt too out of place had they occured, I guess.

Super early/noob-y question:

Do the zombies respawn in an area after I save? I’m in Chapter 3 and was wondering if I could ‘clear out’ an area or if I’m fighting an unwinnable battle.

Dusk Golem

I put 20 hours into it over the course of two days, it definitely sucks you in. I'm not sure what about the game makes it so playable for long stretches of time, but I guess that's a plus.

The strange thing is I had the opposite experience with the first game. Had to do it in many bite-sized chunks, couldn't take too much at a time.

It's the pacing, honestly. I realized right when I was beginning to get a bit fatigued of something, the game would change up its style and suck me back in. Maybe it won't work the same for everyone, but I think that helps it tremendously since you're never doing one type of design for too long, and when you get onto something new it's interesting and pulls you back in again.

The game also has some pretty good 'gameplay loops', in my opinion.

Do the zombies respawn in an area after I save? I’m in Chapter 3 and was wondering if I could ‘clear out’ an area or if I’m fighting an unwinnable battle.

They do not respawn although sometimes moving the story forward will trigger more enemies to appear in an area

Dusk Golem

They do not, the enemies do not respawn at all actually. However, new enemies do come in after certain story points.

It helps a lot, any area you've cleared will stay cleared. The enemies are not infinite, nor are they random. It's a very intentionally designed area, which works to the game's benefit I think. And when new enemies come in after a story moment, it's very obvious.

Conezays

Yep, I agree completely (and really liked the first game); very easy to kill some enemies, get some gel, find some new supplies, upgrade, rinse/repeat, etc. I think certain scenarios and chapters were probably more intense and difficult in TEW 1. The fact that there wasn't as much side content kind of forced the player to make do with what they had available (matches being my favourite). The locker keys felt really valuable in the first, not that they don't here, but it seems like to a lesser degree.

rtcn63

I do hate that there seems to be way too much shit to pick up. Crafting materials, ammo, gel, etc. every few feet. I think I put up with it in Tomb Raider 2013, but TEW2 seems to double down (at least in Chapter 3). And I'm guessing on Nightmare, ignoring this stuff is asking for a death sentence. Just watching someone play and stop to pick all that crap up is making me dizzy.

Grisby

Got past the chapter 5/6/boss. It was fun and the area was nice and open. Creepy design.

I'm enjoying the game but I'm not sure if I'm enjoying it more than the first. Shooting feels pretty wavy and man, the art quality of the game suffers when compared to the brilliant first looking game.
The weapon reloads sound so bad.
They really do. Animations for guns in general aren't great compared to the RE's of old. Slammin a clip home in EW2 doesn't feel good.
The knife-wielding white women (the ones that look like Queen Yharnam from Bloodborne) are goddamn terrifying

So are the gassy women with the many arms, although I don't know what they do since I've avoided them so far, lol
Those knife ladies remind me of Left For Dead.

I KNOW! As I said a bit previously, Chapter 9 is the first chapter in the game that feels like it could've come from the original game in my opinion.

Chapters 11, 12, & 14 do as well, in my opinion. Though less straight-forward and more they wouldn't have felt too out of place had they occured, I guess.

Chapter 9 deserves all the praise. It's rad.

No, you will know if they re spawn
They do not respawn although sometimes moving the story forward will trigger more enemies to appear in an area

They do not, the enemies do not respawn at all actually. However, new enemies do come in after certain story points.

It helps a lot, any area you've cleared will stay cleared. The enemies are not infinite, nor are they random. It's a very intentionally designed area, which works to the game's benefit I think. And when new enemies come in after a story moment, it's very obvious.
Awesome, thank you very much!

kodecraft

On chapter 11 now, been at it all weekend. Loving it.

Love going toe to toe with The Guardian whenever it pops up. I don't back down.

Good to see
the riot shotgun make into the game, brings back those RE4 memories.

Also, agree with Chapter 9 being OG TEW, felt good going through that.

FiveSide

Banned
It's the pacing, honestly. I realized right when I was beginning to get a bit fatigued of something, the game would change up its style and suck me back in. Maybe it won't work the same for everyone, but I think that helps it tremendously since you're never doing one type of design for too long, and when you get onto something new it's interesting and pulls you back in again.

The game also has some pretty good 'gameplay loops', in my opinion.

Pacing was definitely one of the strengths. Only sections that started to drag were the Marrow ones, but they were usually pretty short.

Another factor is that the gameplay loop in the open-world chapters is satisfying and you constantly feel like you're making meaningful progress. The 7 hours I put into Chapter 3 were all in one sitting.

Jawmuncher

I find it crazy people put 7-9 hours just in chapter 3. I thought I was taking a long time with the 2-3 hours I spent searching there before finishing the chapter.

carlsojo

Still in Chapter 3 and Combat is just not clicking with me at all. Anytime I run into more than two guys I might as well wait for them to kill me. I don't know what it is, like I've played a lot of TPS but I can't aim for shit in this game.

TEW1 was the same way for me >_>

Dusk Golem

I find it crazy people put 7-9 hours just in chapter 3. I thought I was taking a long time with the 2-3 hours I spent searching there before finishing the chapter.

I spent 6 & a half hours there. There's more than just the labeled side-quest in that area as well, there's some interesting events that can occur which aren't attached to any signal your communicator can follow.

But it's designed to kind of go at your own pace, so some people will just rush through it and be done with it, some will do as much as they want. However, I can say I enjoyed all six and a half hours I spent doing everything there's. There's so many cool moments during it all. Also I enjoyed going slowly, carefully, and taking things out. Was playing on Nightmare, at first things were seriously mauling me to death quickly, but I got a handle and started feeling like every battle to clear an area was serious progress and then to reap its goodies.

I hit chapter 4 with around 5-5.5 hours on the clock. Did every side objective I could find, and felt I combed through well enough. Played on survival. Missed the
laser pistol
and a few of the
Bethesda IP
items, but oh well. I enjoyed it, but was ready to move forward at that point.

MrS

Banned
Hours were spent on that shooty tetris game thing. Belee dat.

Game is phenomenal. I love it though I wish the devs had ramped up the horror and went full on Silent Hill 'shit your pants' scary.

I spent 6 & a half hours there. There's more than just the labeled side-quest in that area as well, there's some interesting events that can occur which aren't attached to any signal your communicator can follow.

But it's designed to kind of go at your own pace, so some people will just rush through it and be done with it, some will do as much as they want. However, I can say I enjoyed all six and a half hours I spent doing everything there's. There's so many cool moments during it all. Also I enjoyed going slowly, carefully, and taking things out. Was playing on Nightmare, at first things were seriously mauling me to death quickly, but I got a handle and started feeling like every battle to clear an area was serious progress and then to reap its goodies.

Even just the battles going on sometimes were surprising, the way they would play out. There was one truck full of enemies and making traps and figuring out how to tackle them all was a huge thrill.

Sanctuary

So other than maybe getting one or two "free" shots on a grounded enemy, what the hell is the point of the knock back upgrade? It doesn't work how it logically should work. Any time you knock an enemy down via bullets, you can stomp their heads into mush. Push them away with the knock back move, and guess what happens when they go prone? Nothing. You can't stomp them and there's no damn reason why other than "lol gameplay".

Since it doesn't allow stomps, it's gotta be one of the most overpriced upgrades. Pretty much the only good end-of-branch upgrades are in the combat tree, but that's not one of them. Ambush isn't terrible, but it's also not that great either, and Predator is borderline useless.

Neiteio

I hit chapter 4 with around 5-5.5 hours on the clock. Did every side objective I could find, and felt I combed through well enough. Played on survival. Missed the
laser pistol
and a few of the
Bethesda IP
items, but oh well. I enjoyed it, but was ready to move forward at that point.
You played on Survival? I thought you'd pick Nightmare because you played the first game.

Nightmare isn't too hard so far, but I'm only on Ch. 6. Spent like seven hours in Ch. 3 alone. It's a 10/10 game for me so far.

Is it true that the
Guardian
comes back after you kill it in Ch. 5?

Sanctuary

You played on Survival? I thought you'd pick Nightmare because you played the first game.

Nightmare isn't too hard so far, but I'm only on Ch. 6. Spent like seven hours in Ch. 3 alone. It's a 10/10 game for me so far.

Is it true that the
Guardian

Yes, but it's not the same one you killed before.

kodecraft

Is it true that the
Guardian

Comes back for dat ass at least two more times.

And for the record I've played the first several times throughout and still chose Survival for my first play through.

Shooting range just one upped RE4’s sheeeeit. Getting bottlecap nightmare flashbacks. The rewards here are too good.

Just had the game’s first legit arena fight in chapter
. On Nightmare the supplies are super well balanced to where I basically have just enough ammo to make it through every fight, this big ol wave battle with one of those knife wielding chicks included

Also lol at the
gas mask first person stealth section
. I’m kinda glad the janky one-off sections that were in the first game haven’t disappeared.

Neiteio

Shooting range just one upped RE4’s sheeeeit. Getting bottlecap nightmare flashbacks. The rewards here are too good.

Just had the game’s first legit arena fight in chapter
. On Nightmare the supplies are super well balanced to where I basically have just enough ammo to make it through every fight, this big ol wave battle with one of those knife wielding chicks included

Also lol at the
gas mask first person stealth section
. I’m kinda glad the janky one-off sections that were in the first game haven’t disappeared.
Eager to hear what you think of Ch. 5, lots of cool stuff in there

Neiteio

Not really at random but it appeared twice in one hub...I killed it twice too. I killed Obscura's sexy ass too lmao.

It basically becomes a miniboss or elite instead of a true "boss". At least two more will spawn, maybe up to three. Don't remember. Same attacks though.
Nice, I love it when games do this. Seems common for Japanese games to
bring back bosses as elite enemies

Sanctuary

I heard that nightmare is more difficult than the original's survival. Also heard that nightmare remixes enemy encounters, and I wanted to see both versions of fights eventually.

Does it? If so, I guess I'll replay it for that. Considering how I played 90% of Survivor, Nightmare won't be much different other than indicators. I also know exactly the order to upgrade too and what to ignore. I'm on the last chapter now, and I probably could have shaved off four or five hours if I had simply taken the stamina upgrades after the two crouch speed upgrades.

edit: All I can find is that ammo is more scarce and that enemies deal more damage and are even more of a sponge than they are in Survival. I'd probably just play Classic instead if that's the case.

Neiteio

I heard that nightmare is more difficult than the original's survival. Also heard that nightmare remixes enemy encounters, and I wanted to see both versions of fights eventually.
Totally understand. I was also apprehensive, and I -cautiously- picked Nightmare, thinking I might bump it down, but so far so good. Leaned heavily on sneak attacks at start, invested in aiming and HP and stamina, and powered up my handgun and shotgun a bit. Supplies seem decently common. Nightmare is tense but a lot of fun.

psychotron

Over six hours in and still working on chapter 3. I love how I’m slowly taking over this town. I know it’s all going to go crazy again when I continue the main story, but so far I love this game. I’m enjoying it much more than the first.

Gin-Shiio

There's way too much story in the second half of the game. Completely kills the game. You are in control for a minute, then lose it for another five. Shit's crazy. And another problem is the quality of the writing, which just isn't there to sustain the strong focus on the game's narrative. Game started out strong, then continously got worse in my opinion. Really a letdown.

Dusk Golem

Are there any rewards for getting all the locker keys like the first game?

Not sure, and a follow-up I'm curious about is if there's any rewards for getting all the Bethesda easter egg items.

There is a reward for getting all of the projector slides I know (since I've done it).

Can someone reference me to that excellent write up about the plot of the first evil within, here on GAF?

I need to read that again before starting 2.

edit: Trying to search for it, but not coming up with anything! Heeeellp!

PM me it if you can.. I don't want to be checking this thread much, don't want to know anything about this sequel.

Thanks!

Duxxy3

Just finished. By the end of the game I'd completely forgotten about the open world sections. They seem so pointless, so out of place. If there is a third game, I hope they don't bring the open world back.

There's still a lot of things that annoy me in the game. I much prefer the voice actors from the original. I preferred Seb's original model. I like the aesthetic of the first one. The creatures in 2 looked a little too colorful. The game wasn't nearly as horrific as the first one. I missed clair de lune. I wasn't a big fan of Seb's office. I think it was only put in there because of all the other safe houses in the game. The rest area in 1 was a good fit for that game. Seb's office... seems out of place.

Combat was good. Stealth was not good. I didn't like the cover system at all. You already have a crouch button. You don't need a full cover system. This isn't metal gear.
Sound was good. No issues tracking enemies that way. Gun sounds were good. Sniper rifle sounded weak (probably why I didn't care for the weapon).
Graphically the game was fine. It looked good on ultra. It looked good on low. I'm lucky. I didn't run into performance issues on either of my PC's.
Keyboard and mouse controls were excellent. I initially tried a controller, but didn't like either of the button options. Still don't know why flashlight would take up an important face button. Maybe I'll try controller again in the future.

The story in 2 made a lot more sense than in 1. I guess that can be a positive and a negative. The first one didn't have much of a story, just crazy things happening. And that was great. Aside from Mobius, the characters were more fleshed out in 2.

All that said, this was a very good game. I think it will be less divisive than the first one.

Not sure, and a follow-up I'm curious about is if there's any rewards for getting all the Bethesda easter egg items.

There is a reward for getting all of the projector slides I know (since I've done it).

Wait, there is? I got em all and all I got was the same green gel :/ Or is finding out about
Joseph's fate
the reward?

Did I miss something?

Dusk Golem

Wait, there is? I got em all and all I got was the same green gel :/ Or is finding out about
Joseph's fate
the reward?

Did I miss something?

You got it,
outside of the Green Gel collecting the 10 previous slides gets you the cat/hospital scene and then the Joseph slide
. I at least considered that the 'reward'.

No idea if getting all the Bethesday IP stuff or the Angel Statue Keys nets you anything more though. It might though, outside of these small things have rewards to, like completing all the ghost side-quests and such.

FiveSide

Banned
There's way too much story in the second half of the game. Completely kills the game. You are in control for a minute, then lose it for another five. Shit's crazy. And another problem is the quality of the writing, which just isn't there to sustain the strong focus on the game's narrative. Game started out strong, then continously got worse in my opinion. Really a letdown.

For all the issues with the writing/story, I think the game at least did stick the landing with the finale. Now, about a day after finishing it, I've had time to let it settle a bit, and I do think the ending was pretty strong. Except for
the Mobius chairman, looked stupid, stupid dialogue, waved his hand around stupidly, just a terrible character all around.

---

Forgot to mention one thing, and I haven't seen it mentioned too much yet ITT. On PS4, the DualShock 4 speaker is used really well, especially in the
ghost sections where her humming comes from the controller and intensifies as she gets closer to you
. I really enjoyed that little touch.

Keihart

Dunno what this talk about tlou having more options than tew. You can't do this in tlou, all that prep for the level.

https://youtu.be/czvWbf3Ao3c

Edit: skip to 10 minutes if you don't want to see the prep I put in.

Honestly asking, besides burning the haystacks wich is pretty chessy and not much different than just throwin a molotov in TLoU, wich options are you refering to?

Edit: Saw some more footage of TEW2 and i'm definetly thinking on picking it up now, never though i would after the first game.

Top Bottom