• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

Orb

Silent hill 3 is still my favorite for a multitude of reasons. Heather being one of the best female characters of all time who isn't sexualized(even Princess Heart is a pretty tame outfit) and being from 2003 is a big one, but also 3 is the one I played more of growing up.

3's art direction, character design, monster design, other worlds, and themes are all superior to 2 to me. Themes of motherhood and birth are all much more interesting IMO than sexual frustration and denial. Plus, the cult has always been a huge part of what makes Silent Hill Silent Hill.

I feel there's a point when a game can be too depressing and melancholic. 2, despite people making jokes about several dumb things like vaulting mannequins or toilet costing, takes itself completely seriously. The only thing I feel is played up in the actual game is Eddie eating pizza. Everything else feels too serious.

3, meanwhile, has a lot more emotion. Heathers a dumb teen who reacts pretty realistically to the Shit around her. Claudia is an amazing "well intentioned" villain and Vincent was a pretty great mischief maker.

On topic, what I originally came in to say:

Just beat this, and holy shit. That ending sequence was leagues up and beyond superior to the first in every way. I didn't think I'd feel emotional in this, but I about cried.

the happy ending is hampered a bit because Ruvik has gotta show up sometime down the road for them again

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm so pleased with this game. The first is a very cool but wildly uneven game but this has been great so far. I'm 8 hours 40 minutes in and only just started Chapter 5. Was skeptical of how the more open areas would work but it was really satisfying to explore, find new gear, and uncover various stories around Union. Great so far.

Jharp

Some thoughts, which I'm sure echo sentiments already stated in the thread:

I expected The Evil Within to be Resident Evil 4 - 2, and it super wasn't. That said, it still managed to be my 2014 GOTY because it was still a weird, challenging, awesome horror gem, and those are so rare these days.

The Evil Within 2 is basically what I wanted the first game to be prior to playing it. It's got a lot of Resident Evil 4 DNA in it, and I love that.

But I hate Sebastian's new voice actor. Not because he's bad, but because he's so much less fitting. The first Sebastian nailed that drunk old pissed off detective vibe so well. This guy sounds like another generic action hero. He's written like one too. This game casts him as just a bit too edgy of a nothing-to-lose type. Like Ethan in Condemned 2 or Chris in Resident Evil 6. I miss the "he's always got a flask tucked in his jacket, but dammit he's still got a job to do" type of drunk asshole he was in the first game. I wish they hadn't gone the very generic and unoriginal path of having him drift further into alcoholism. Mainly because he was already that guy in the first game, so having him become the barfly type doesn't really fit. He was a functional drunk, now he's just a drunk. Lame. Would have been so much cooler if he'd quit the force and become a private detective investigating Mobius or something.

But the gameplay is fucking top notch. I'm several hours in and still exploring the early parts of Union (only just hit the second safe house) and I'm hoping it stays this strong. The little vignette side quests, the pseudo-open world. Man. Game's fucking baller.

Silent Hill 3 is my personal favorite of the franchise. While I can definitely understand why some people prefer SH1 and SH2, I think SH3 all at once has the best artistry of the series, I found it more creepy than either SH1 or SH2, it had the best puzzles and combat scenarios in my opinion (and the best variation and uses of the combat and puzzle difficulty, with both making significant changes to the game more than any of the other games), and though the story was simple I absolutely loved the cast of characters (and Heather is one of the best female leads in any game ever, if you asked me). Combine that with some incredibly interesting environments, some fantastic Mary Elizabeth songs in the game in her debut for the series, maybe some of the strongest subtle symbolism in the whole series, the best secrets and unlockables in the series as well as a New Game+ mode littered with new things to uncover, and some of the best 'set piece' moments the series ever got in my opinion, and it secured its place as one of my favorite horror games ever.

Silent Hill 2 is the most popular, and I definitely see why. It has a very somber air to it, a fantastically told narrative, and it the entry I think best captures the 'isolated, cold, foggy town' feel of the series, and has my absolute favorite soundtrack in the series. But for me, SH3 just edges it over for me due to how much of a delight it is coming from a pure survival-horror enthusiast standpoint. I think while Silent Hill 2 is a fantastic experience with some fantastic subtlety and focus, Silent Hill 3 is one of the best survival-horror games ever made, even if it goes a bit more traditional in some senses than SH2 it at least does so with some masterwork execution.

I revisited SH2 not to long ago and did a fresh playthrough (hooked up my PS2 to a CRT :p)

While it's still really good, the biggest flaw with it in modern terms is that the enemies pose zero threat around town because your simply faster than everything. James can outrun any enemy in the game. While this thematically fits with the narrative, it doesn't make the gameplay more compelling.

Also being able to avoid everything in town leaves for plenty of ammo during the indoor segments even on hard.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Hmm was on the fence about this the entire time but think im pretty sold on the impressions. Does not come out til Thursday here though, so dodging spoilers left and right.

Just finished it on pc. It was pretty damn awesome. I couldn’t get into the first game, not sure if it was because I played on PS4, or what, but it felt like a let down at that time. I loved the open world areas in this one, and there were so many times where I thought, THERE’S MORE? Just amazing.

myco666

Seb feels a lot more nimble to me in TEW2. Smoothly mantling structures when sprinting into them, and just as smoothly jumping off of them. I don't notice the controls because they're pretty much seamless. He definitely felt more "unwieldy" in TEW1, although I won't necessarily say that's an issue since in a way it added to the first game's tension.

I'm using Control Type B, for what it's worth. The one closest to the original.

Absolutely. See above.

Have to say I disagree. Seb feels like tank in this and the quick turn is awful. First one felt way snappier than this. I think if the movement wasn't tied to camera it would be way better.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Jharp

Is there any reason to pursue the melee upgrades on Nightmare? I remember the melee in the first game being so totally useless that upgrading it was a waste of goo. If it's not terrible in this game, I'll finish out the tree, but as it stands, I'm guess firearms and stealth are way better.

Dusk Golem

Syder

Anyway, for these types of games, it's nowhere near the top of my list, and I doubt I'll remember anything about it other than how unmemorable it is overall. Here's how I'd rank it:

1. REmake, RE2, RE4
2. Dead Space
3. Dead Space 2
4. Silent Hill 2
5. Silent Hill
6. Alan Wake
7. RE:CVX
8. RE3
9. F.E.A.R.
10. The Evil Within
11. Dead Space Extraction
12. Dead Space 3
13. Silent Hill 3
14. RE0
15. RE7
16. Clock Tower
17. D
18. Fatal Frame
19. The Evil Within 2
20. RE5 (this game is mechanically superior, but even worse for atmosphere)
Having Silent Hill 3 that low completely nulls this list

mabec

For a singleplayer game in 2017/18 without any season pass, dlc or loot boxes day 1 this is a GOTY candidate for me. Doesnt hurt that the last 3rd of the game is one of the stronger in a very long time.

Sanctuary

Silent Hill 3 is my personal favorite of the franchise. While I can definitely understand why some people prefer SH1 and SH2, I think SH3 all at once has the best artistry of the series, I found it more creepy than either SH1 or SH2, it had the best puzzles and combat scenarios in my opinion (and the best variation and uses of the combat and puzzle difficulty, with both making significant changes to the game more than any of the other games), and though the story was simple I absolutely loved the cast of characters (and Heather is one of the best female leads in any game ever, if you asked me). Combine that with some incredibly interesting environments, some fantastic Mary Elizabeth songs in the game in her debut for the series, maybe some of the strongest subtle symbolism in the whole series, the best secrets and unlockables in the series as well as a New Game+ mode littered with new things to uncover, and some of the best 'set piece' moments the series ever got in my opinion, and it secured its place as one of my favorite horror games ever.

I actually agree with most of this. Like I said, I think I was just burned out on the mechanics at the time I played it. Objectively it's a better game than where I placed it. I can't say the same for the rest of the order though.

Having Silent Hill 3 that low completely nulls this list

LOL OK.

For a singleplayer game in 2017/18 without any season pass, dlc or loot boxes day 1 this is a GOTY candidate for me. Doesnt hurt that the last 3rd of the game is one of the stronger in a very long time.

This game is almost the opposite of the first game in terms of going to shit, but not quite, because it doesn't even come close to the highs of the former. The first game starts out so strong and then ends up as RE5/RE6 and this game finally becomes something more than an ultra safe and super generic "horror" game at Chapter 9 (but it doesn't last), and then again finally from 14 - 16. But other than the final boss, the best parts of those levels are rehashing the first game! Chapter 3 was good enough, and if they actually had expanded upon it (as well as including at least triple the enemy variety) the game might have ended up better. Instead, the biggest levels are simply reused again and again and that's where the majority of the playing time is spent.

Reading through this thread is nuts. Everything from extreme disappointment to game of the year talk.

Generally, the feedback is very good.

Zampano

Does anyone have any advice for the mini game
combo attack shooting range
? I can’t seem to get my score past a certain point.

BeeDog

Does anyone have any advice for the mini game
combo attack shooting range
? I can't seem to get my score past a certain point.

It's more important to string together colors to generate the time boosters. And the time boosters, when shot, changes the colors of surrounding tiles to create the best chains, so save them until you can score big chains. In essence, it's more important to keep the round going by making big chains instead of crazily shooting everywhere.

(mind you, I still haven't gotten 100000+ points myself...)

s-bojan

Banned
Finished the game yesterday. Decent game, but nothing more than that.
Why was this even called Evil Within 2? It could've easily been a new IP.

I was really worried about potential sequels after the game was pirated day 1, but I really don't care anymore after what they did with the story.
If there is a third game I would probably buy it. If not, no tears will be shed.

Orb

Finished the game yesterday. Decent game, but nothing more than that.
Why was this even called Evil Within 2? It could've easily been a new IP.

I was really worried about potential sequels after the game was pirated day 1, but I really don't care anymore after what they did with the story.
If there is a third game I would probably buy it. If not, no tears will be shed.

This is like saying "PT could've just been a new IP"

This is the most absurd version of this I've seen, the game is steeped in the first games swamp down to little things like POV and texture pop in. You might as well say "Why does any sequel exist? "

According to SteamSpy, the game has only sold 54K on PC so far.
I'm afraid the game will underperform badly.
What you've got to look at is the developing sales curve and critical reception compared to the first game. If you check the trending games like middle earth that have sold a few hundred thousand units you can compare it to The Evil Within 2 and see that the latter moving at a nice pace. It helps a lot that this sequel is reviewing better than TEW and there are way less glaring technical issues on console and PC. Seriously, TEW was a disaster on consoles and even the PC port was enough of a mess that people had to play with several mods at once to get a good experience (FOV mod, black bar mod and color edit mod for shits and giggles in my case). I'm totally willing to bet that the PC version of TEW2 alone will sell a good 400K or so this holiday season thanks to holiday sales.

Sanctuary

This is like saying "PT could've just been a new IP"

This is the most absurd version of this I've seen, the game is steeped in the first games swamp down to little things like POV and texture pop in. You might as well say "Why does any sequel exist? "

Sure, it's really close to the first game if you removed essentially everything memorable from TEW. Gameplay is comparatively worse if you play it as a shooter, better (but slower) if you play it as a sneaker. It barely resembles the first game at all, and is loosely connected via STEM.

I'm totally willing to bet that the PC version of TEW2 alone will sell a good 400K or so this holiday season thanks to holiday sales.

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to wrap my head around sales figures being indicative of a game's success instead of the overall profit. It's like the brag posts about how well Dark Souls PC did, yet those numbers included all of the $5 - $10 sales. Is it better for a game to sell 400K copies, or gross 15m?

Majin Boo

I'm not that interested in this game since I didn't really like TEW1, but the solid impressions and the fact that it has none of the crap that we've seen in other games in the past few weeks really makes me want to support it.

Erevador

According to SteamSpy, the game has only sold 54K on PC so far.
I'm afraid the game will underperform badly.
I hope not. Word of mouth seems to be pretty good, better than the first. I'm hoping all the streaming activity it'll get over October will help to drive more sales. I think it was really smart to release it on Friday the 13th, because a lot of streamers and Youtubers will be playing it in the run up to Halloween (GAF's favorite Swede uploaded a video playing it on the 14th, 2 millionish views).

I think it could build up sales over October.

KissVibes

Banned
Finished the game. Enjoyed it considerably more than the first.

The flexibility you have dealing with most encounters is superb. Really kept me on edge and had me thinking a lot about my placement, what weapons I was going to use, and how I was going to move around the environment during fights. The crossbow was pretty much the only weapon I was using for a lot of the game. That and one of the pistols.

I found myself spending more time than I usually do in a first playthrough running around and exploring just about every little area. One thing that really stands out for me, that I wish most action-horror games did, is giving you the chance to kill enemies that are 'playing dead' before they trigger. Almost all of The Lost you encounter can be taken care of if you were careful enough.

It made thinking about what was coming next and scoping out an area, especially the hub area(s), really rewarding for me and was the biggest contributing factor to my enjoyment of running around. I love too the fact that if you cleared the hub areas of enemies, you could travel freely when moving back and forth between them and when enemies were re-propagated in said hubs, they gave a justification within the story.

The combat always felt fair and rewarding unlike the first game.

Chapter 4 was extremely weak. I mean, I guess that's a unique way of doing a sewer-ish level in your horror game but it was more frustrating than suspenseful. It didn't seem to account for playing on an ultrawide monitor either. The view felt too narrow. Glad it was short.

Great boss fights, solid visual design (though inconsistent some areas look amazing, some look iffy) and fun callbacks to moments from the first game but not enough continuation on some of the bigger threads from the first. The story was better than I had expected too, given some impressions I read here before starting. Sebastian's voice acting got better as the game went on, showing some real ass emotion at times but ultimately the VA was the weakest part of the narrative. It's so much worse than the first game it's crazy. That, and the animations within the story cutscenes made the mediocre VA seem worse. I know the engine is built upon id tech 5, which is old, but I certainly feel that TNO and even RAGE had more convincing facial and character animations.

Oh and the game ran pretty poorly given how visually inconsistent it is. Have a few issues where the A.I. wouldn't do their patrolling routines, so I died a few times before they'd reset and I could progress. Only happened in some side story missions. I will say that I was impressed by some of the environment changes that happened without a loading screen. Some moments even had me frightened because of the ambient sound design, which too is pretty good.

Very disappointed in the optimization overall; Probably won't give it another playthrough until it sees a patch or two.

I'd give it a 7. Fun game with a neat story dragged down by technical issues, iffy VA and character animations. Would like to see a sequel on a new engine with a new cast of characters and expanded hub areas.

Orb

Sure, it's really close to the first game if you removed essentially everything memorable from TEW. Gameplay is comparatively worse if you play it as a shooter, better (but slower) if you play it as a sneaker. It barely resembles the first game at all, and is loosely connected via STEM.

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to wrap my head around sales figures being indicative of a game's success instead of the overall profit. It's like the brag posts about how well Dark Souls PC did, yet those numbers included all of the $5 - $10 sales. Is it better for a game to sell 400K copies, or gross 15m?
Except this tries new things which a sequel should do. Of course its not gonna throw the exact same shit at you the entire game, its a sequel. And the gameplay is basically the same, its things around the gameplay that changed which made the feel worse. Opinions on how the gameplay feels are irrelevant anyhow, because the gameplay is still literally the same as the firsts with little tweaks.

Like what does it mean to be "similar"? Everything that a horror game is is pretty much its mechanics and story/design. 2 keeps a lot of the same mechanics while adding a few of its own, like a sequel. 2 continues the story and characters to a possible conclusion, and evolves the art direction beyond just gore and mannequins. It might not be what you like, but it very much is an Evil Within game.

The early sales figures are the important ones to watch because there is no way the game will be dropping below $30 until next year and the largest amount of profit comes from higher price launch sales. If TEW2 can move a substantial amount of copies on PC and consoles this holiday then I'm sure it'll be considered a success. The fact that the sequel is technically solid on top of looking great at launch on PC/Console compared to it's predecessor is already a plus in it's favor. I'm sure it'll have good word of mouth. I guess our biggest worry is whether or not it gets drowned out by hype from other holiday games.

Orb

Silent Hill 3 is exceptionally overhyped (I say knowing saying that will get you killed in some neighborhoods of Silent Hill).
You mean 2 lol? 3 is the one nobody gives a shit about because 2 exists and is The Only Real Silent Hill to a lot lol. 2 is the overhyped one.

Orb

I'm ready for The Evil Within 3 starring Juli and maybe someone else that isn't Sebastian
Honestly I want a flip. Let us play as Juli hunting down Ruvik to tie up a loose end and he ropes Seb in somehow. I'd be fine with no Seb in a game but it'd be weird for Seb not to be in a game with Ruvik.

Also what the hell, I just remembered:
Where the hell is Joseph? He was confirmed to be alive and we saw him get taken away by Mobius, but he's a complete absence even though Mobius is gone now. Ruvik I understand not appearing, but Joseph not is stupid.

I'm really enjoying this game. At chapter 4 now. I have had a couple of glitches. The first time I fell through the ground and had to reload and during chapter 4
after the gas mask maze part the computer never spawned to let me go to city hall. I looked around for like 5 minutes trying to figure out what to do until I finally looked it up online and saw there was no computer for me. I reloaded at the last checkpoint and it spawned.

myco666

One thing I think might influence some people's impressions of how Seb controls is this game actually has two incredibly different control schemes, which they make you choose one at the start. One plays closer to the first game, one plays closer to a regular third-person shooter.

With scheme B atleast it feels worse.

I dont know what game you are playing but this game resembles the first one a lot.

Neff

"You need to forgive yourself."
"I can't forgive myself."
"Yeah but you need to forgive yourself."
"How do I forgive myself?"
"Well, it's time to forgive yourself."
"I guess I can forgive myself."

After the big scene of
Myra absolving Seb of guilt, you get the impression that he's turned a big corner, and he's now resolved to saving Lily and taking out Theodore with determination and a clear head. Then immediately after said scene, he's back to feeling sorry for himself over the death of the cool soldier chick.
It was the first time in a long time that I've literally yelled "OH COME ON" at the screen.

The writing/acting in the original wasn't the best by any means, but it was decent enough. It takes a massive dive in the sequel though imo.

Orb

After the big scene of
Myra absolving Seb of guilt, you get the impression that he's turned a big corner, and he's now resolved to saving Lily and taking out Theodore with determination and a clear head. Then immediately after said scene, he's back to feeling sorry for himself over the death of the cool soldier chick.
It was the first time in a long time that I've literally yelled "OH COME ON" at the screen.
I mean,
her death almost made him do that again, but then Hoffman continues Myras lesson by telling him it isn't his fault. The scene is a continuation by telling him the actual death of an ally wasn't his fault, but Theodores.

It isn't ignoring the lesson, its forcing him to use that lesson where an actual problem occurred instead of him wallowing over a disappearance.

Neff

I mean,
her death almost made him do that again, but then Hoffman continues Myras lesson by telling him it isn't his fault. The scene is a continuation by telling him the actual death of an ally wasn't his fault, but Theodores.

It isn't ignoring the lesson, its forcing him to use that lesson where an actual problem occurred instead of him wallowing over a disappearance.

It's practically the same scene without the payoff. You go from catharsis to a narrative reset button in the next scene. I can see what they were trying to do but it's really clumsy.

It's practically the same scene without the payoff. You go from catharsis to a narrative reset button in the next scene. I can see what they were trying to do but it's really clumsy.

It's never an easy task letting go of the poison. going back is easy when you call the grave home. Reinforcement was definitely needed.

Honestly I want a flip. Let us play as Juli hunting down Ruvik to tie up a loose end and he ropes Seb in somehow. I'd be fine with no Seb in a game but it'd be weird for Seb not to be in a game with Ruvik.

Also what the hell, I just remembered:
Where the hell is Joseph? He was confirmed to be alive and we saw him get taken away by Mobius, but he's a complete absence even though Mobius is gone now. Ruvik I understand not appearing, but Joseph not is stupid.

That's the someone else I was talking about. It'd be interesting with those two I feel

Reflecting on the game a bit after finishing it and I don't hate it, but it does still feel disappointing. I can't help but feel I would have thought much more favorably about it if I hadn't gone in with the expectation of it being a follow up to the first game, which I absolutely loved. I'll probably try another playthrough later in the year and see if I have a better appreciation of the game going in again with a greater understanding of the mechanics, since I was also a bit lukewarm on the first game until I had played it again and recognized how well all the systems worked with the level design.

It's never an easy task letting go of the poison. going back is easy when you call the grave home. Reinforcement was definitely needed.
I think it would have been alright if they had spaced out Sebastian's revelation with his near relapse, but placing them so close together makes it almost comical and is driving the point home way too hard.

Diancecht

1. REmake, RE2, RE4
2. Dead Space
3. Dead Space 2
4. Silent Hill 2
5. Silent Hill
6. Alan Wake
7. RE:CVX
8. RE3
9. F.E.A.R.
10. The Evil Within
11. Dead Space Extraction
12. Dead Space 3
13. Silent Hill 3
14. RE0
15. RE7
16. Clock Tower
17. D
18. Fatal Frame
19. The Evil Within 2
20. RE5 (this game is mechanically superior, but even worse for atmosphere)

First Encounter Assault Recon lower than Alan Wake. Now I have seen everything.

Hypron

It's more important to string together colors to generate the time boosters. And the time boosters, when shot, changes the colors of surrounding tiles to create the best chains, so save them until you can score big chains. In essence, it's more important to keep the round going by making big chains instead of crazily shooting everywhere.

(mind you, I still haven't gotten 100000+ points myself...)

Yeah, this. I had no idea what I was doing at first and managed to do 70k tops. Once I noticed that shooting a pile of tiles that are vibrating generates a timer and started going for those, I did 130k on my first try haha

Riposte

I had completely forgotten about the matches mechanic from the first game. Now that I remember it, it feels like something's missing without it.

One thing I think might influence some people's impressions of how Seb controls is this game actually has two incredibly different control schemes, which they make you choose one at the start. One plays closer to the first game, one plays closer to a regular third-person shooter.

Hmmm did I miss this selection process and I'm just forgetting it due to the awesomness I've been playing? I honestly can't recall them making you pick one or the other.

kromeo

I had completely forgotten about the matches mechanic from the first game. Now that I remember it, it feels like something's missing without it.

If not matches I wish there was at least a better way to deal with all the enemies lying around pretending to be dead

Dusk Golem

kromeo

Kidman's still annoying me, not impressed with the "I'm actually a real nice and caring person despite all the evil shit I get up to" thing. Unless of course there's more to her character later in the game

Top Bottom