• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

psychotron

Any strategy for dealing with those
crawling
bastards in chapter 3? I can easily flip them over, but lining up headshots to finish them is a bitch. They also seem to attack in batches which makes it harder. I was owning enemies up until now, lol.

Nemesis_

Wait what? Can't you go back to Seb's office right before the end of the chapter?

That's another thing, I really need that increased crouch movement speed you get with Prowler. Whole playthrough with the default speed would be torturous, like watching a guy who shit his pants slowly wander towards the nearest restroom

I don't think so? I thought you killed the disciples and then meet a bad guy and get warped away instantly ?

EDIT: Ok there's a mirror before the disc puzzle. Phew.

FiveSide

Banned
I don't think so? I thought you killed the disciples and then meet a bad guy and get warped away instantly ?

If Chapter 9 is the one
in the underground catacombs area, then I thought there was a point you could go back right before the puzzle with the blood symbol thing on the ground at the end (where you have to rotate the floor to make the cult symbol).

I remember there was at least one mirror, because I went back to Seb's office and warped into a different spot, because the cult ritual table was still set up where you would normally warp in.

Where was your last save before Chapter 9? If I'm wrong and there isn't a save option, you are well and truly screwed for the cabin fight my friend.

EDIT: Cool there's a mirror. Good luck.

Chapter 9 was weird.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Chapter 9. The level and encounter design was fine, but it just felt really out of place. It wasn't as grounded as the open-world chapters, and wasn't as surreal as some of the other chapters. It just felt like it was ripped from the first game wholesale and didn't particularly belong in the second one.

Any strategy for dealing with those
crawling
bastards in chapter 3? I can easily flip them over, but lining up headshots to finish them is a bitch. They also seem to attack in batches which makes it harder. I was owning enemies up until now, lol.
Avoid + shotgun if you can't. Use fire from oil puddles if you have one handy

I actually thought the point where that enemy is introduced is super shitty, it's best if you run away and then try to sneak around them

Perineum

Final slide from project spoiler/discussion:

So Joseph is alive? Plus he's hidden himself from Seb and others? EW3 he starts up a stem incoming?

FiveSide

Banned
Which of the bolts are worth upgrading?

Flash and Explosive are useful for crowd control. The Explosive also jumps from 120% to 180% damage modifier pretty early, which is a massive bump needless to say.

Once you level the smoke bolt up to 4 if I remember correctly, you can start doing stealth kills within the smoke. But I never leveled it up that far so I'm not sure how useful that is in the big scheme of things. I'd guess the crowd control options from Shock and Explosive bolts edges it out.

psychotron

Avoid + shotgun if you can't. Use fire from oil puddles if you have one handy

I actually thought the point where that enemy is introduced is super shitty, it's best if you run away and then try to sneak around them

Sounds good. Shame there’s no real viable way to deal with them. I’ll try to avoid and fight if necessary.

rtcn63

Women can be tall, but she seems average height.

Hmm. Maybe I'm just deceived by the length of her torso.

tumblr_nd3nczRIgJ1saxrtno2_250.gif

Astral

Chapter 10 was ass except for the very beginning. Not liking where the game is going tbh. It’s not that I miss the open world, I just really didn’t like these last two chapters.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone get a bug/glitch when accessing a locker where the item is 60 sniper rifle cartridges but yet, when you check the ammo, it's simply nowhere to be found?

Still plunking away at chapter 6. These open levels are a real treat, just littered with all sorts of meaningful and crafted details and encounters, but it’s all very manageable. They don’t feel open for the sake of being open, and so far they’ve been interspersed with the linear levels really well. Just bobbing around this level for 20 minutes and I get in a handful of cool encounters,
narrowly avoid being ambushed by the sawblade Guardian that is now prowling the level
, and explore
a cool diner only to be sent into a disorienting asylum chase avoiding the humming ghost.

I really like that they managed to translate the variety and jarring moments of the linear levels into the open ones as well.

FiveSide

Banned
I really like that they managed to translate the variety and jarring moments of the linear levels into the open ones as well.

The way the open-world organically funnels into linear setpiece sequences is the best part of the game from a design perspective.

I haven't played another game that handled these transitions as well as TEW2, but I don't have as much experience with open-world games as others. And I've never played a GTA game.

Just finished the game and OMFG, what an ending! loved it!

Ending was awesome. Overperformed expectations for sure.

Finished it, clocked at 19 hours. Really, REALLY enjoyed it. It definitely changed up it's world design a lot compared to the linear structure in the first game, but i really liked it. The mix of slower paced "go get geared up and explore" parts mixed with the set piece heavy chapters felt like a really good pace for this game.

Can't wait for
joseph dlc

Peroroncino

Alright, I think I'm nearing the end of the game, ch. 13 or 14 spoilers
about to enter the flaming fortress
and so far I fuckin' love it, I think it's way better than the first one and it's a bummer that it'll most likely underperform, I'd love to get a sequel to this.

Finished it, clocked at 19 hours. Really, REALLY enjoyed it. It definitely changed up it's world design a lot compared to the linear structure in the first game, but i really liked it. The mix of slower paced "go get geared up and explore" parts mixed with the set piece heavy chapters felt like a really good pace for this game.

Can't wait for
joseph dlc

Strongly agree with the bolded, it's not something we often see in games, but it works very well in here.

Neiteio

Still plunking away at chapter 6. These open levels are a real treat, just littered with all sorts of meaningful and crafted details and encounters, but it's all very manageable. They don't feel open for the sake of being open, and so far they've been interspersed with the linear levels really well. Just bobbing around this level for 20 minutes and I get in a handful of cool encounters,
narrowly avoid being ambushed by the sawblade Guardian that is now prowling the level
, and explore
a cool diner only to be sent into a disorienting asylum chase avoiding the humming ghost.

Yeah, it's awesome, but what's funny is what you call Ch. 6, I called Ch. 7, since the same area changes from Ch. 6 to Ch. 7 if you investigate the theater where the story directs you.

I imagine you're staying away from that because you want to do the side stuff first and you think going to the story area might lock you out. Well, no worries — you can check out the theater and it will point you to several other locations around the city, so you're not locked out or anything.

kodecraft

Just finished the game...18 hours total. I really like this game. Immediately starting another playthrough for things I've missed and to enjoy at a casual leisure but keeping the challenge.

The ending is indeed awesome and chapter 14 being one of my favorites in the game. I'm ready for DLC.

As far as TEW series goes...I think it can follow the Saw films formula. TEW2 should've had a different protagonist dealing with Stem with tidbits of info related to the first game scattered throughout.

Like the Saw films each iteration of TEW can have players control someone else. Stem is the 'Jigsaw' antagonist that represents the mind games/manipulation at hand here.

I want a female lead protagonist for TEW3, no more Sebastian. Or TEW3 could follow several protagonist dealing with Stem as guinea pig subjects and crossing each other's paths.

Great job to the Tango team. As I said I'm diving back in for more...but this time I get my letterboxing back 😎.

And an aside about the letterboxing they did it smarter this time by having the UI overlap it instead of like the first game where they pushed the UI down to fit inside the letterboxing which was odd to me even when it first came out.

Neiteio

Hmm. Maybe I'm just deceived by the length of her torso.

tumblr_nd3nczRIgJ1saxrtno2_250.gif
Anyone point out that she wears rather prominent heels? Adds a bit of height with those. Also makes her legs look more slender (the whole point of heels in the first place).

Also, the wet shirt effect in the first game was amazing. :-O

I'm waiting for an interview from the first game to come out giving a story along the lines of the explanation of why Lara Croft's breasts were huge "We accidentally added a 0 to her ass calculations"
More mistakes like these than the ones that limit GPU/CPU usage pls.
Butt its not even giant tho :(
I need some side shots now to get an idea of volume lol.
RE6 dodges would be fantastic for this game. Even something like an Alan Wake dodge tied to the sprint button would work great with this style of enemy behavior.
This or a Demon's souls rolling style. I've been saying it since 2014 after finishing the first Evil Within. We don't need to be action heroes. Even a clunky roll that eats up a ton of stamina would be nice for movement and add a sense of tension when the enemy requires a degree of sprinting alongside dodging to fight.

rtcn63

Maybe a stamina-draining dodge that you have time right before an attack lands to activate. But even then, not sure if it works in the context of TEW. Also the auto-dodge in TEW2 is hilarious-looking when it processes after consecutive enemy attacks.

Nemesis_

Flash and Explosive are useful for crowd control. The Explosive also jumps from 120% to 180% damage modifier pretty early, which is a massive bump needless to say.

Once you level the smoke bolt up to 4 if I remember correctly, you can start doing stealth kills within the smoke. But I never leveled it up that far so I'm not sure how useful that is in the big scheme of things. I'd guess the crowd control options from Shock and Explosive bolts edges it out.

It's super useful, Seb even does stealth kills way faster when stunned by Smoke. I recommend it and shock ones because they provide easy ways to take down people thru stealth or stomp

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Just beat the Chapter 16 boss, so I'm guessing I just have denouement left

I really love the game. I loved the first one too.

I still think pistol and camera ought to feel better, but I feel the same way about the first one. Resources stayed tight through the second half, every time I got to a good place it was time for another closed arena fight where stealth was not an option. Had two fights end with literally my last pistol round. Made for some awesome tension. I could definitely do better with ammo now that I'm not playing blind.

Combat in really tight spaces feels bad sometimes. That is presumably intentional, but I'm glad I invested in the dodge move--that seemed to offset the problem somewhat.

Did every side thing I could find, sought out every signal. The best thing about the open areas, for me, was that I had to make tactical decisions about where to go and what enemies I could afford to face, while having a goal of ultimately clearing the map. This is better than "open world" for me--big enough to have a sense of rewarding exploration, but not too big to get boring.

So far as linear areas go, I loved Chapter 14. It felt oppressive, almost overwhelming. I was out of shit all the time, stealthing and scavenging.
The callback to the original was great, too. Killed those two keepers with a pistol. Felt good.

I understand disappointment about the appearance. The grimy aesthetic of TEW was amazing. It was nice when we saw a slight return for some areas. Still, as screenshots of Neiteio and others have shown, there are some really imaginative sights in Union.

Man, though. I wish that we could set our own camera traps. Those were cool but so rarely used.

Next up, an easy collectible run where I can just shoot the hell out of everything.

EDIT
Upgraded smoke bolt -> spam sneak kills until dead. Repeat if necessary.
smoke affects him? lol goddammit

EDIT EDIT
Played on Nightmare

Sanctuary

But it's not complicated? The puzzle itself is obvious, I figured out what you had to do instantly, I just kept choosing the wrong doors (about 20 fucking times).

So it's not complicated, gave you the answer and you still kept picking the wrong doors? There are only so many doors it could possibly be even without it being lit up, and it would be exactly half of them anyway.

I've heard some reports of people having lots of ammo crafting supplies on nightmare mode and I have no idea how. I am constantly looking for more on Nightmare, barely making it by, but also when I do getting to those comfort moments so shined upon in this thread. What a life saver!

Ended my current Nightmare with 478 gun powder, after maxing out my ammo count for the last area.

Yeah, I also wonder how some people allegedly got so many supplies in Nightmare. Again, I hit my mark more often than not, and I primarily use stealth to defeat enemies. So how is it that I barely find any gunpowder, etc, no matter how thoroughly I search?

Enemies are all bullet sponges in this game. If you aren't landing nothing but criticals, or head-shotting with a level 3 Harpoon, you're going to waste too much ammo.

EDIT

smoke affects him? lol goddammit

EDIT EDIT
Played on Nightmare

Still affects them. Takes between 4-5 stabs to kill them, and one smoke bolt will get you two. I also was finally able to
blow up one of their tanks
and it actually makes them even more difficult to deal with. It should kill them, but it doesn't.

Neiteio

There are a number of tropes I find endearing in this game. My favorite being the secret agents who wear sunglasses inside at night.

They look like they're watching a rap battle:

tew2-mobius01smpj8.jpg

Ahem...

Innnnnn west Krimson City, born 'n raised
Inna tavern, where I spend most of my days
Drinking 'n sobbing 'n sittin' on mah stool
Yelling at Kidman, while covered in drool
When a couple of G-men, they were up ta no good
Started up STEM in mah neighborhood
They sent my daughter to Union and I got all scared
Saying, ‘Gonna rescue Lily and haul ass outta there'

/freshprince

Astral

What the fuck is up with the Chapter’s 11 boss on Nightmare? I used 3 flaming harpoons, 3 ice bolts, 3 shock bolts, 2 explosive bolts, 8 shotgun rounds, 2 sniper rounds, and like 10 handgun rounds and he’s still fucking alive.

Neiteio

My waifu

tew2-guardian02b6pph.jpg

tew2-guardian0177rr4.jpg

tew2-guardian031nlky.jpg

tew2-guardian037nqdq.jpg

(Seriously an underrated design. Would be easier to appreciate if it wasn't always charging at me like a bull in a china shop.)

The amount of times Seb got knocked out/falls and wakes up in a new area. . . ugh.

I didn't know the
fire enemies could be stabbed when not on fire for a few moments
and spent ammo on them that left me hurting real bad in last two chapters for ammo (started on nightmare).

I met the
flamethrower
enemies before the boss and thought they were invincible and avoided them. Ammo sponges.

Buzzsaw enemy laughs too much.

Saw a live speedrun for Classic mode on youtube that failed on chapter 4 lolz. He got too greedy on the boss.

Good game but that's it for me. I really don't feel like a replay.

Anyone got any good youtubes explaining everything in the game? Like the
ghost lady

I can't believe Ch.5 was just one boss fight and then a bunch of talk nothing for the entire stage and then a kinda crappy boss fight and then you leave. Like they should've had some encounters in City Hall.

Ch.6 was a couple of zombies but otherwise just the big blob sneak room and that was it.

Where is the stage based combat scenarios? I feel like the only fun combat bit in ch.1-6 so far was the Ch.4 Marrow room where you trigger the exit and enemies are released since you can plant traps and stuff similar to the first game.

Game has way too much talk/cutscenes/walking simulator. Feels kinda up its own ass.

Yea the enemies are great to defeat on their own. . . some parts of the game are so long and boring with all the talking and so on. There's an ambush later in the game but even that is unsatisfying because there's so much talking and art-deco stages where it's just walking from point to point.

stop making those ''daddy I love you'' shit, no one fucking cares, no one is touched by your cheesy emotional attempts, and you are certainly not winning any story awards in the end of the day.

Yea, isn't that a trope by now used in western media, protect muh familee. Should be. Like the protect muh friends and the power of friendship angle in anime.

The Evil Within 2 is a AAA release with no dystopian business practices.

No loot boxes, no pay to win, no digital deluxe edition, no overpriced pewter statue edition, no "games as a service" features, no season pass.

The game is full of crafting, but the economy of things to be found in the world is carefully thought out to keep you on your toes. You don't go online to spend real world money to upgrade your guns.

Yep. Good stuff.

Grisby

Up to ch9? I think? Last couple of chapters went by fast. Still having a fun time. Aim is upgraded all the way so now I'm not a drunken sailor anymore.

In fact, if you wanted to lore that aspect of the upgrade system up, the more points you dump into it could represent how far along long seb has come off the bottle, lol.
Okay I like the first game but holy shit the first DLC for that game is 'crouch walk through gray reused corridors and areas from the main game for four hours with no weapons'

I have no idea why people keep telling others that the DLC is better than the base game
Yeah, I wasn't hot on the dlc at all really, aside from the story stuff.
The final one exists for an awkward segue to what will probably be DLC. It's a nice nod, but man, it just makes you want more
I know I've probably already missed some which makes me a little rawr, lol.

Sanctuary

What the fuck is up with the Chapter's 11 boss on Nightmare? I used 3 flaming harpoons, 3 ice bolts, 3 shock bolts, 2 explosive bolts, 8 shotgun rounds, 2 sniper rounds, and like 10 handgun rounds and he's still fucking alive.

It's like it's intentionally designed to be killed in a very specific way. Even five upgraded sniper head shots didn't do shit to it. Anyway, that's one of the enemies that keeps getting mentioned here and asked how to deal with. Doesn't help if you don't have the materials ready, but 3x level 3 Smoke bolts is a guaranteed kill.

The amount of times Seb got knocked out/falls and wakes up in a new area. . . ugh.

"What the hell?"
"What the?"
"What the hell?"
"What is this?"
"What the hell?"
"What the fuck?" < he says this once
"What the hell?"
"What, what is this? Blood. Hope this is not Lilly's blood."

RevenWolf

Just started playing the game. So far really cool.

I decided to switch down from nightmare to survival though. I felt like it was overly punishing to explore completely blind at that difficulty, was always starved for ammo and just wasn't having fun redoing encounters constantly because I would miss a shot.

So far I'm in chapter 3 (right when you're set loose for the first time). I'm shocked at how good the open world is handled.

The fact they have scares and moments that feel they belong in a linear game is a treat and makes exploring fun and unpredictable. I'm also really liking the enemy design so far (admittedly I've only seen the regular enemies and
a shriveled woman with a knife.
the latter of which is incredibly threatening.

Astral

It's like it's intentionally designed to be killed in a very specific way. Even five upgraded sniper head shots didn't do shit to it. Anyway, that's one of the enemies that keeps getting mentioned here and asked how to deal with. Doesn't help if you don't have the materials ready, but 3x level 3 Smoke bolts is a guaranteed kill.

"What the hell?"
"What the?"
"What the hell?"
"What is this?"
"What the hell?"
"What the fuck?" < he says this once
"What the hell?"
"What, what is this? Blood. Hope this is not Lilly's blood."

Finally killed him by missing less I guess. I don’t even know. Freezing him and going for headshots definitely helps but it still felt ridiculous.

Does anyone know what the strongest handgun is? I just unlocked the
revolver
and I notice it has the shortest range but I’m just assuming it’s the strongest because it looks cool.

Oh my god smoke Lv 3 feels so good to pull off!

In those 12 seconds it feels like a different game.

Slice, slice, stab, couch, stab.

Slicing throats and stabbing brains all day.

Intel_89

Got to chapter 10 last night, I'm aware of the total number of chapters but considering that some of these are little more than cutscenes I'm wondering how much more "game" it has before the end. So far it's been really fun but TEW1 felt a lot more unpredictable which made more a much more tense game in my opinion.

Top Bottom